• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 Announced for Xbox One

benzy

New racing game announcements are always exciting. Can't wait for e3.

aiaqbh.gif

e3 is a bit over in terms of being the only time for big announcements. More and more you will the platforms holders controlling the message themselves. Nintendo is doing with Directs, Sony now has their own event.

Times are a changing.

This would just get drowned out in the e3 hoopla. I predict e3 will be much smaller in coming years. Trades shows just don't make sense in today's on demand world.
Ms should bring the X00 events

God, X06 was legendary for me at the time S2

nib95

Banned
I hope it's a bit more upbeat. As Jeff Gerstmann said, Forza 5 had the excitement of a tomb.

What do you mean more up-beat? If anything I think Forza should get more serious, instead of less serious. They have Horizon now which takes the edge off things for those that want a slightly more casual or fanfare filled affair. Forza Motorsport should go more sim and hardcore imo. More emphasis on pit stops, campaign qualifying, time of day, weather, improved AI, more accurate damage systems etc.

There appears to be more arcade and simcade racers on the market these days than pure sim racers, and we've never really had a console equivalent of rFactor or iRacing etc, plus as much as Project Cars looks great, I can't see it being as in depth as some of these larger budgeted games might be capable of. I also don't really have faith that Gran Turismo will offer the kind of purer sim experience some may be wanting either. It's Forza's to take.

GoaThief

Burnout and Horizon are better than DriveClub and mainline Forza games.
Says you with also no taste. :p

Driveclub (in it's current state anyhow) and mainline Forza are leagues ahead than the two you mention. Horses for courses and all that, but Burnout was awful and Horizon doesn't offer a proper racing experience in my eyes. Give me a sim (or close enough), close track competition and racecraft any day. So much more exciting and tense. Tuning is great also.

FordGTGuy

Banned
in-game footage at e3... screens soon?

and it was totally anemic compared to forza 4. lack of content in 5, regardless of having the excuse as being a launch title, is a very real criticism. nothing funny about it.

Yet every other racing game in existence seems to be able to float around this criticism?

R3TRODYCE

Says you with also no taste. :p

Driveclub (in it's current state anyhow) and mainline Forza are leagues ahead than the two you mention. Horses for courses and all that, but Burnout was awful and Horizon doesn't offer a proper racing experience in my eyes. Give me a sim (or close enough), close track competition and racecraft any day. So much more exciting and tense. Tuning is great also.

Agreed.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Such a weird way and time to announce it. I mean, it's not like it was a suprise or anything but you'd think they'd use E3 and throw some footage in?

FordGTGuy

Banned
Hopefully the smooth out the minor jaggies and give us polygonal crew.

If this is running on forward+ rendering like Horizon 2 than we should see SMAA which will hopefully take care of most of the jaggies this time around.

Such a weird way and time to announce it. I mean, it's not like it was a suprise or anything but you'd think they'd use E3 and throw some footage in?

It was accompanied by autovista footage and we will see more at E3.

Honestly this isn't a bomb to drop at E3 as it's incredibly expected so announcing before E3 to gain goodwill with a car manufacturer is a way better move for them.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What do you mean more up-beat? If anything I think Forza should get more serious, instead of less serious. They have Horizon now which takes the edge off things for those that want a slightly more casual or fanfare filled affair. Forza Motorsport should go more sim and hardcore imo. More emphasis on pit stops, campaign qualifying, time of day, weather, improved AI, more accurate damage systems etc.

There appears to be more arcade and simcade racers on the market these days than pure sim racers, and we've never really had a console equivalent of rFactor or iRacing etc, plus as much as Project Cars looks great, I can't see it being as in depth as some of these larger budgeted games might be capable of. I also don't really have faith that Gran Turismo will offer the kind of purer sim experience some may be wanting either. It's Forza's to take.

This will never happen. Forza's too big a seller for them to turn it into such a fantastically niche product.

theWB27

Does this stop them from showing footage at E3? I don't really get the criticism...everyone knew there'd be another Forza anyway.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yet every other racing game in existence seems to be able to float around this criticism?

they set the bar high then the sequel had far less content. they failed to meet their own bar. it was seen as a step back in many ways and should be. doesnt mean it didnt also move forward in other, arguably more important ways, but it is what it is. doesnt mean there wasnt a very real reason for it to be so, but again, it is what it is.

they did? link?

From when Horizon 2 was announced

“I’m not saying I know what the next 10 years are gonna be,” he says. “But when I look at the trajectory of the last 10 years, I don’t see how it’s possible that the only thing Forza would be is Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon. It’s gonna continue to grow, just as games have continued to grow.

“I don’t have a design on where the series will grow to, but I’m very excited about it because I think for us to have a greater impact in car culture and gaming culture it has to be more than just Motorsport and Horizon.”

they set the bar high then the sequel had far less content. they failed to meet their own bar. it was seen as a step back in many ways and should be. doesnt mean it didnt also move forward in other, arguably more important ways, but it is what it is. doesnt mean there wasnt a very real reason for it to be so, but again, it is what it is.

Actually their high bar for quality is why it had such little content. They could have reused 360 assets and tracks but they didn't want to, they decided it was better to give proper high quality content - rescanning tracks rather than just re-skinning etc. Forza 6 will be bigger because they'll have had 2 years of Xbox One development, no moving goal posts for unfinished hardware and can just focus on adding content.

Bsigg12

Not really. It was planned around the announcement of the new Ford GT as the cover vehicle.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they do a blowout on this before E3 like the week before and use the timeslot for something else but we'll see.

FordGTGuy

Banned

A step back?

How are laser-scanned tracks a step back?

This was a launch game built for brand new hardware that ended up at 1080p/60 fps with new/rebuilt lighting engine, physics engine, graphical engine, AI engine, cloud integration and all done in two years.

It might've been a step back in total content but it's still better than anyone else offers and it is still the largest racing game at the launch of a console by far when it comes to content.

SRTtoZ

I just hope there are some significant updates because the past few games have kind of felt like expansions or .5's. Its a very solid series but they need to start making progress like weather, dynamic day/night cycles etc.

Its pretty crazy that Forza 5 and 6 will come out before a next gen GT is announced.

Do you guys think they are announcing it now because it will be at the windows event on the 21st?

Well it said gameplay debuts at E3 and its exclusively on Xbox One, so no I don't.

Maybe that Forza Mobile I posted about a page or two back will surface though

Shads

What a random time to do an announcement, but no complaints as long as it feels more like a full game than FM5. I do really like the Forza franchise, but man, are they pumping them out like it's Call of Duty lately. I think Forza could use a little more time in the oven to create a more complete package like Gran Turismo does... though GT is a little too long.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
A step back?

How are laser-scanned tracks a step back?

This was a launch game built for brand new hardware that ended up at 1080p/60 fps with new/rebuilt lighting engine, physics engine, graphical engine, AI engine, cloud integration and all done in two years.

It might've been a step back in total content but it's still better than anyone else offers and it is still the largest racing game at the launch of a console by far when it comes to content.

you said it yourself, it was a step back in content. a major step back from many peoples perspective. i already said it was a big step forward in other "arguably more important ways", but that doesnt change the fact that people lik eme, who invested 100s of hours into forza 4's 27 racing locations were dissapointed with forza 5's 17 (14 at launch). forza 5 had a severe lack of content compared to its last outing. this isnt debatable.

i love forza 5. its an amazing driving experience, looks nice, and greatly improved many of the old tracks. the new nurburgring is GLORIOUS. but i miss the hell out of the cut tracks and find the track variety quite lacking

Do you think they announced the Ford GT today because it's going to be at the windows event?

A laptop with Windows 10 on it will be brought in by someone driving a Ford GT onto the stage. They open the laptop and the default wallpaper is revealed to be an image of the Ford GT. Mystery debunked.

I'd prefer if they just drove it through a wall with magical Windows 10 Metro squares flying behind it

cakely

You guys called it.

It still seems a little too soon for my tastes. I'm not sure what sort of major improvements a new game in the series will offer. Better graphics, I suppose? I assume they'll lose those 2d cardboard spectators, even they though they made for some hilarious gifs.

Top Bottom