• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Akai__

Ever buy a music album and notice that some of the tracks on the album are like 30 second random noises, or jibber jabber...and the 13-track album is really only eight songs.

All killer, no filler.

Furthermore, quick time events...omg I hate them with a passion, they're worse than cut scenes.

"Press X to..." "Now press A to..."

You mean like instrumental music? Yes, I do and it's pretty cool.

As for QTE, yes I hate them aswell. It was something that made Halo 4 really bad gameplay wise.

I skip all cutscenes in my games. Skipped all of them in Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty, etc. Any chance I can skip, I skip. I'm here to play a video game, not watch a movie.

Of the cutscenes I will watch are mostly Blizzard games because they're so bad ass, but at the same time, I can't stand in-game interruptions due to cut scenes and I also can't stand it when I'm not given an option to skip.

Half-life did them right though, they were truly integrated into the gameplay.

As for the ADS advantage in Halo 5...COD controls clearly get the advantage...having to hold down the right thumbstick and aim at the same time with traditional Halo controls is insanity.

Ever buy a music album and notice that some of the tracks on the album are like 30 second random noises, or jibber jabber...and the 13-track album is really only eight songs.

All killer, no filler.

Furthermore, quick time events...omg I hate them with a passion, they're worse than cut scenes.

"Press X to..." "Now press A to..."

The scene in Halo 4 where masterchief is having to scale a wall to dodge the debris falling...it's in the opening level of Halo 4...I hated that moment of the level...totally useless, bad design in my opinion.

*in before "BUT THE IMMERSION!!! YOU REALLY GET THE FEELING OF BEING A BIG SPARTAN MACHINE!!"

So this is what looking into the abyss is like.

Booshka

I'm just picturing Vapor playing an Album and a track that isn't explicitly a song comes on, Skip track, NEXT.

Playing a game and a cutscene starts, Press Start, NEXT.

A character in the game starts talking, Mash A to skip Dialogue, NEXT.

If he can't skip the cutscene? "Fuck this I'm getting a Beer and refreshing GAF/Beyond."

Mistel

Banned
I'm still scared of the Warsphinx being a "press X to kill" enemy in Halo 5. :/
I can just see it all the build up to fighting it and it just ends up being a QTE where you chuck a grenade at it. Did they ever state why they even did QTE's anyway?

"There are only a handful of vignettes, all of which are unobtrusive"

*mandatory elevator segment in Dawn you can't skip, but can't actually die in, either*

*kills the final boss with a QTE and no actual combat*

*completely breaks campaign theater*

I'm just picturing Vapor playing an Album and a track that isn't explicitly a song comes on, Skip track, NEXT.

If he can't skip the cutscene? "Fuck this I'm getting a Beer and refreshing GAF/Beyond."

Vapor stopped taking elevators because all you're doing is pushing arbitrary buttons in a linear space and waiting for the next area to load

Vapor swore off treadmills once he realized all you do is hit buttons to run in place and couldn't outrun other people on them

Tawpgun

Vapor should play dark souls.

LOL FUCK THIS NPC DIALOGUE I DON'T CARE IM HERE TO PLAY A GAME NOT TO READ AND LISTEN

an hour later.

"This fuckin game is stupid how do I even get to a new area"

Akai__

I just had my 1st tied match in Halo 3 MCC. Appareantly there's no such thing as tied game, so Team Red won the game. Thanks 343i.

Ramirez

$64 for a single-player only game...why do people continue buying games like this?

Unless it's got the greatness of Half-life (which it most likely does not), no single player only game is worth $64, not even Bioshock.

Well, thanks for making everyone's opinions up for them, really don't know what we'd do without you here.

Fuchsdh

I can just see it all the build up to fighting it and it just ends up being a QTE where you chuck a grenade at it. Did they ever state why they even did QTE's anyway?

Reading between the lines, they were probably mandated, but the vast majority of the QTEs never actually made it into the final game, though remnants of them still exist (the missile into the gravity well, etc.)

Also: To me a single-player game can absolutely be worth $60. I think the Bioshock series is one of them, despite not really enjoying the gameplay all that much (Bioshock games make me appreciate Halo more.) On the other hand, while I could appreciate Spec Ops: The Line's storytelling, the gameplay was so frustrating for me that I gave up on the game entirely. Everyone's got different tolerances. Looking forward to picking up Wolfenstein, but I've still got all these Games with Gold titles to burn through I can't justify actually spending any money on new titles.

Damn that sucked. It really popped my balloon. The whole game I was looking forward to that "fight." At least it was better than the Halo 2 ending. If H4 popped my balloon, H2 slashed my tires.

Better not pull that shit in 5! I want a rematch!

Akai__

Damn that sucked. It really popped my balloon. The whole game I was looking forward to that "fight." At least it was better than the Halo 2 ending. If H4 popped my balloon, H2 slashed my tires.

Better not pull that shit in 5! I want a rematch!

Yup. QTE are fine for opening doors, but other than that... It's just so cheap. I'd prefer a fight similiar to the 343GS fight, even if it was kinda boring.

Glass

Unless I'm forgetting something else, the best boss fights in Halo are the scarab fights in H3. Not a named character per se, but they're big machines with a weak spot you have to hit. Ticks all the criterias!

TTUVAPOR

Banned

All true statements.

Mdot

The more I play of Halo 3, the more I get pissed off at the equipment. I don't remember it bothering me as much during original release, but I just can't stand it. Combine that with the shitty BR and it's really not as enjoyable for me as I remember.

Karl2177

Yup. QTE are fine for opening doors, but other than that... It's just so cheap. I'd prefer a fight similiar to the 343GS fight, even if it was kinda boring.

For a game like Halo, QTEs don't even work for doors. Takes too much out of the basic game.

Havoc2049

Ending Halo 4 with a QTE was just soooo wrong. Ending any game with a QTE is cheap and lazy game design.

The only game that I can think of that implemented QTEs well was Shenmue, with a few low key non-important fights here and there and a few chase scenes that were set up fairly well and somewhat fun to get through.

Mistel

Banned
Reading between the lines, they were probably mandated, but the vast majority of the QTEs never actually made it into the final game, though remnants of them still exist (the missile into the gravity well, etc.)
Glad there wasn't more of them then. The two that were there were bad enough.
Doors don't really need a QTE like Karl says you might as well have just a press X to unlock prompt or something of that nature.

AlStrong

I'd prefer a fight similiar to the 343GS fight, even if it was kinda boring.

I could see Chief trying to take down Dadact in stages. Take out his ability to wield things around while you're dodging the shit that he flings at you. Take down his ability to fly.

Shoot him up a bunch. I think after all that I might have been ok with a QTE beat-down in hand-to-hand that ends up with you Leonidas-kicking him off the platform.

SaganIsGOAT

Wow the frame rates of the campaigns in The MCC are so variable they should include a 30fps lock for all campaigns. Halo 3 is the only Campaign that even comes close to accomplishing a smooth 60fps

Impala26

Ending Halo 4 with a QTE was just soooo wrong. Ending any game with a QTE is cheap and lazy game design.

True this. If there's one thing I would gripe about the most on Halo 4's campaign design it's the fact that the "final climactic battle with the ancient genocidal maniac bent on Humanity's annihilation" comes down to two button presses on a QTE.

Had to be a better way of doing it no?

Fuchsdh

I could see Chief trying to take down Dadact in stages. Take out his ability to wield things around while you're dodging the shit that he flings at you. Take down his ability to fly.

Shoot him up a bunch. I think after all that I might have been ok with a QTE beat-down in hand-to-hand that ends up with you Leonidas-kicking him off the platform.

I think the problem with boss fights in general is if you want to make them feel exceptional, you usually have to change up the mechanics, which in turn makes them feel out of place. Bullet sponges don't really have much appeal.

What makes the Scarabs work is that they operate in wide-open areas with tons of sandbox options for how to tackle them. Want to pick off everyone on board before moving in? You can do that. Want to have a Hornet drop you off on board? You can do that. Want to shoot its legs? You can do that. Want to get behind it with the Hornet and blast it that way? You can do that. And you have four opportunities in the game to try out different options and find out what works.

Compare to the boss fights in Halo 2 and 3—shoot them and/or bash them until they drop, with a bonus of being frustrated by holograms and teleportation and shields. Not saying that they're BioShock Lady Comstock levels of frustrating, but they're close.

NOKYARD

The best name I ever saw for a map was that one where the Heavies Boneyard was going to be called Bonecrusher. Shame it couldn't be used
The original title for Boneyard Heavies was "Boned". We tried to sneak it in but someone in sustain caught on and changed it.

True this. If there's one thing I would gripe about the most on Halo 4's campaign design it's the fact that the "final climactic battle with the ancient genocidal maniac bent on Humanity's annihilation" comes down to two button presses on a QTE.

Had to be a better way of doing it no?

When I first got to the Composer rig thing at the end of Midnight I was totally expecting a Metroid Prime meets CE thing where the Didact was still invulnerable in his bubble, but sporadically fired stuff at you. In turn, you'd have to keep running to new platforms to damage the hardware and expose ports like in the Maw, with Knights occasionally dotting the arena rather than being thrown at you non-stop. It'd be more about dismantling the environment and using the tech against him rather than outright brawling him, and then from there you could possibly insert Cortana to compose him / damage him / collapse the rig on him / fling him into slipspace, etc.

EDIT: You could also damage stuff to temporarily disable the shielding / composer stuff around the Didact and suspend him in stasis to damage him every so often.

Impala26

When I first got to the Composer rig thing at the end of Midnight I was totally expecting a Metroid Prime meets CE thing where the Didact was still invulnerable in his bubble, but sporadically fired stuff at you. In turn, you'd have to keep running to new platforms to damage the hardware and expose ports like in the Maw, with Knights occasionally dotting the arena rather than being thrown at you non-stop. It'd be more about dismantling the environment and using the tech against him rather than outright brawling him, and then from there you could possibly insert Cortana to compose him / damage him / collapse the rig on him / fling him into slipspace, etc.

EDIT: You could also damage stuff to temporarily disable the shielding / composer stuff around the Didact and suspend him in stasis to damage him every so often.

Dig it.

Sounds better than bullet sponge boss fights in Destiny at least...

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Vapor should play dark souls.

LOL FUCK THIS NPC DIALOGUE I DON'T CARE IM HERE TO PLAY A GAME NOT TO READ AND LISTEN

an hour later.

"This fuckin game is stupid how do I even get to a new area"

RPGs are different, like Skyrim...I listen to the dialog, it's part of the questing thing...but sometimes I even skip those to get the shit going.

I do not like slow-downs in games, due to cut scenes or dialog. I watched some of the RYSE ones, but then I started skipping them...slows the game down too much.

Glass

What with the CTE Didact fight being universally panned, hopefully 343 came up with something for H5 like this in response.

Were CTE fights shit hot back in 2012, or did 343 just run out of time to implement something better?

Top Bottom