• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X DF Face-Off (PS4/XBO/PC)

The PC cutscenes always looked kinda unusually dark to me, but I had just expected it was the same case on the consoles. Hope they fix it.

I thought Injustice had a similar problem the pc version was unusually contrasty/uber bright compared to the Xbox360 version

Skyzard

Banned
Yesterday there was a 15gb patch. The fps between xrays and gameplay are seamless now at 60fps.

Oh nice, surprised no one else has mentioned that lol. :S

Awesome!

I can live with some darker cutscenes...although it'd be nice if they patched that.

Wait, really?

Edit: 15gb patch installed, everything is still the way it was before. 30fps X-rays, krypt, fatalities.

ARGH. Which is it. I keep posting in the OT about this lol. Saw your post when you had 60 instead of 30 (which was a tad confusing) but still.

Swarna

How do you crush blacks on the PC version? And only for the cut-scenes and not the matches themselves? lol

Are they pre-rendered video files? Could explain it.

robotrock

Banned
How do you crush blacks on the PC version? And only for the cut-scenes and not the matches themselves? lol

Are they pre-rendered video files? Could explain it.

The story cutscenes might be prerendered, but I can't see how the intros/X-rays/fatalities could be, due to all the costumes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm aware it's not your intention, but that pic and your post just swing the whole "bias" picture the other way now. He he.
Ha ha, you just can't win. :p As I've said before, though, I just love consoles and hardware in general which is why I own like 90+ hardware variants. Love em all. Even stuff like the 3do, Jag, and Lynx.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts were about the game before DF released their comparison?

These articles always seem to promote more negative feelings towards a game afterwards. Am I the only one who feels we enjoy our games more without the curtain being pulled back?

ACH1LL3US

There is also some troubling performance reports on the PC version. Glad I skipped it, maybe HVS will....huh....do something about it, maybe.

So basically the visuals on PC during gameplay are only marginally better than the consoles, and there's an odd black crush for the cutscenes. No specific mention of inferior performance in gameplay.
As someone without a top of the line PC I'm pretty ok with that. Hopefully they can fix the gamma issue in a patch. Haven't touched the story mode so I hadn't noticed how bad it actually looks right now. Obviously getting Xrays to 60FPS would be great as well.

Black crush on PC. Congrats High Voltage.

Bought this on XB1 because I like the clicky pad more for fighting games. Sucks about the mip-mapping stuff.

I'm not really seeing the black crush in the screenshot comparisons there.

Black crushed pre-rendered cutscenes and blown out highlights during gameplay make for very poor picture quality on PC. It's quite unfortunate, really.

I got the pc version of MK X yesterday, no problems dowloading it and playing it like reports a couple of days ago.

I am using A Titan X and playing it in 4K native on my new 48ju7500 samsung 4k curve monitor and... it looks insane... Th0ere is no comparison between it and the console versions, at 4K the game looks almost cgi, love it!!

Some differences I did notice between console versions and the pc version are as follows:

character select screen once characters aee chosen they dont walk away from each other on the pc version... I miss that lol

there is definite black crush on the pc version.. I have my monitor cali rate to 6500k 2.2 gamma and this is the only game that is showing black crush, I am sure someone will fix it in a week :)

30fps intros and character select screen seems more jarring in the pc version, again just like mk9 someone will mod it to be 60 fps I hope.

Load times.... wow... pc version on a 850 evo ssd and there is NONE.. the screen that shows loading literally just blinks and goes to the first round... love that, its like old school neo geo cartridge lol

Overall I love the pc version especially at 4k.. 4k is a game changer for me it really is. I havent been this blown away from games since I layed battlefield 1943 on my radeon 9700 which was my first pc build a long time ago.

Btw.. Titan X is playing the game maxed out at 4k at 60fps with no dips 8)

When NX Gamer said the game was sub 1080p on Xbox One, people doubted him and said they would wait for the DF analysis.... And wait for pixel counting experts.... It's interesting how much doubt his analysis gets... It's just nice to have multiple people doing these....

Chalk up another win for PS4.

If Sony can get this AF issue ironed out that Ps4 is having in some games, they won't even need to do these face-offs.

PS4 will win EVERY TIME!

The reasoning behind the face off for most people is for informative reasons rather than competitive. They help me a lot when I decide what version I should get for what platform. This one is an outlier as the PC version is actually a bad port job, so whenever I picked up the game I'll probably be for PS4.

orava

Sure, i only have a PS4 so that's the version i'm obviously getting eventually...(not paying full price for region locking multiplayer for no reason), but its just shit that PC players have to put up with the crap now. It all just feeds into the 'lazy developer and publisher' stereotype these days where every aspect of game design is a "ship it broken and patch it later" sort of deal.

I just don't understand it.

Oh well, its not like i'm hurting for PS4 fighting games just yet. USF4 soon, Guilty Gear is still calling too

Consoles definitely aren't out of the "ship it broken and patch it later" situation.

vg260

I thought the PS4 and Xbox versions looked a lot closer than I expected. The Xbox version looked quite competent by comparison. It didn't jump out as being 900p to me, so I guess that confirms my suspicions.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Consoles definitely aren't out of the "ship it broken and patch it later" situation.

I think your misunderstanding my posts. I've never said that was the case to begin with. I'm saying the PC version being in this state sucks and its not right. When this kind of thing happens, its garbage.

Kezen

Banned
I got the pc version of MK X yesterday, no problems dowloading it and playing it like reports a couple of days ago.

I am using A Titan X and playing it in 4K native on my new 48ju7500 samsung 4k curve monitor and... it looks insane... Th0ere is no comparison between it and the console versions, at 4K the game looks almost cgi, love it!!

Some differences I did notice between console versions and the pc version are as follows:

character select screen once characters aee chosen they dont walk away from each other on the pc version... I miss that lol

there is definite black crush on the pc version.. I have my monitor cali rate to 6500k 2.2 gamma and this is the only game that is showing black crush, I am sure someone will fix it in a week :)

30fps intros and character select screen seems more jarring in the pc version, again just like mk9 someone will mod it to be 60 fps I hope.

Load times.... wow... pc version on a 850 evo ssd and there is NONE.. the screen that shows loading literally just blinks and goes to the first round... love that, its like old school neo geo cartridge lol

Overall I love the pc version especially at 4k.. 4k is a game changer for me it really is. I havent been this blown away from games since I layed battlefield 1943 on my radeon 9700 which was my first pc build a long time ago.

I wish I could afford a 4k capable setup, I'll be late to the 4K bandwagon. I'm not too impressed with MKX's graphics but it looks better in motion for sure. What's missing is PBR, materials don't look right to me.

geordiemp

A fighting game with fixed camera sort of deal should really be 1080p60 on both consoles and PC.

Was this game ported to Xb1 and PC, as I struggle to see why ?

As a Ps4 owner I am glad the focus seemed to be on this version but still struggle to see what went on here (did High voltage port Xb1 and PC versions ?)

ACH1LL3US

Huh I don't pirate games. I've bought it but 30gb is a huge download for me, and 15gb of patches after that.
Great.

But as things stand I think the PC version will reign supreme in my case. I don't see how it is "broken" in any way.

The pc version is not broken!! It had a ruff time with downloading for people in the first 48 hrs but I got it yesterday and it was smooth sailing!!

Also I am not seeing a 15gb patch... anywhere , if they get everything to 60fps that would be amazing!

Problem with pc gaming is people will comen in abd say the game runs like crap etc.. but there is so many variables on pc like what hardware they are running, what gpu they have.

On my Titan X its running 60fps solid at 4k native.

Also MK Komplete Edition I played last night at 4k native and it was fantastic looking, made the console versions in the past look like junk in comparison.

jett

D-Member
A fighting game with fixed camera sort of deal should really be 1080p60 on both consoles and PC.

Was this game ported to Xb1 and PC, as I struggle to see why ?

As a Ps4 owner I am glad the focus seemed to be on this version but still struggle to see what went on here (did High voltage port Xb1 and PC versions ?)

MKX looks really good. The Xbone is what it is, people should make their peace with it already.

vg260

I'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts were about the game before DF released their comparison?

These articles always seem to promote more negative feelings towards a game afterwards. Am I the only one who feels we enjoy our games more without the curtain being pulled back?

On the console side, I thought they both look fantastic. A lot better than videos conveyed, and I watched almost every stream and promo. My only issue is the 30 fps Xray and cutscene lock. That bothers me, but it was known. So overall this analysis is moot to me.

It always seems to me like NR games always mix the sound too low though.

Nzyme32

Was playing it on PC at a friends after the catastrophic us of install streaming. With that solved already, we noticed two frustrating things that are also the main points of debate in the performance thread - capped 30fps on the fatalities and xrays, and wonky contrast on the cutscenes. The original thought on GAF was that high voltage fucked up as usual, which they probably have but turns out the console version is the same with the 30fps lock on those. I'm surprised there isn't as much complaints on that side, because for me it looks really jarring. The cutsenes being in the wrong gamma is just weird. I know no other games that have that issue.

I think DF have it right in terms of the PC version - it's the most minuscule step above the console versions considering the hardware available - but on the other hand at least they solved the launch issues within a day

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
MK9 had 30fps xrays, fatalities and cut-scenes as well on consoles as well. I don't think anyone really cares if its not directly in battle. GGXrd as well intentionally is capped at 15fps for cut-scenes before and after battles.

Of course on PC where there's no technical need for it, having it on there doesn't make sense.

Aceofspades

Banned
When NX Gamer said the game was sub 1080p on Xbox One, people doubted him and said they would wait for the DF analysis.... And wait for pixel counting experts.... It's interesting how much doubt his analysis gets... It's just nice to have multiple people doing these....

I enjoy nxgamer analysis alot, he was right about MKX resolution on X1 being sub 1080p although he didnt give a definite answer.

IvorB

That's all well and good but I'm hearing that they left out the palette-swap ninja outfits which sucks :-(.

1300x1080 on the xbone? whaaa?

so they upscaled the game horizontally to only? that's a difference of almost 50% less pixels on screen, no?

1300x1080 on the xbone? whaaa?

so they upscaled the game horizontally to only? that's a difference of almost 50% less pixels on screen, no?

1300 x 1080 = 1404000

1600 x 900 = 1440000

I believe the idea is that it's similar to 900p in pixel count. At native resolution 900p would look better. However upscaling is needed for a 1080p screen. So by having 1300 x 1080p you are only upscaling in a single direction, Which i believe decreases aliasing compared to 1600 x 900

npa189

Were the PC versions of MK9 and Injustice any good? I was under the impression they were so this is surprise. I was always going to go PS4 because I really like the DS4, but I'd like to try out the new dpad on the X1. Awesome job NR, you guys really stepped it up this time.

thelastword

Banned
Yep, clearly its 900p just like he said...
Is this sarcasm?, you've been corrected many times on this issue yet you won't concede. Again, Nxgamer never said conclusively that the game was 900p, he said it was sub-true/native hd and in the range of 900p. He was also right about the 30fps cutscenes, he actually did gamers a huge favor by giving them a heads up on release day.

Df's article is coming out way after the fact (only today, just after I enquired) when most have already purchased the game and noticed much for themselves, at least the the xbone players could corroborate with Nxgamer that the game was indeed sub native on the day of release.

He was unable to spot the obvious artifacts you get from upscaling only horizontally.
I'll let you in on something, none of these Eurogamer editors are pixel counters, they get their pixel information from Beyond 3D or if these B3D guys happen to post it on GAF. I'm pretty sure that Eurogamer got this pixel information from an Al Strong post on gaf where he declared 1344*1080/1360*1080p. At this point in DF's final article the rez is not even conclusive/definite but people want to throw NXgamer under a bus becasue he has a good eye and said it first.

The big problem I find with so called technical editors is when they can't tell that a game is sub-hd or when they can't differentiate between aa methods, motion blur methods/samples or AO methods.

I believe some people were simply butt-hurt when NX called the lower resolution on the xbone version, many said they would wait on DF's analysis, insinuating that NXgamer is not as credible and that the dev said both versions was 1080p 60fps on both. I would imagine that many were actually waiting for DF to come up with an article saying 1080p native on the xbone to get nails and coffin ready for NX, but no once again he's right, only that he offered the information ahead of any other to help with a release day purchase.

Dat first
fanboy
post.

Why not just go 900 on One? Killer Instinct looks and runs great.
1600* 900 = 144 0000

1344* 1080 = 1451520 (11,520 pixel upgrade from 900p)

1360* 1080 = 146 8800 (28,800 pixel upgrade from 900p)

The difference between these three are negligible relative to performance.

A huge performance/IQ differentiator on the other hand is the 633,600 pixel upgrade that 1920 *1080p provides.
So NXGamer's analysis was completely in line with DF's. I knew he was right when he said the XB1 version is upscaled. Also, nice to see 8x AF on the consoles, especially PS4 for a game running on Unreal Engine 3. Hopefully 8x AF becomes the standard this year.
I'm waiting on NXgamer's final analysis myself for a more thorough and visual take, but yes it would seem that AF is sorted after the uproar, I wonder why they don't go full 16xAF on the PS4 due to the stronger hardware though, it's clear that MKX never drops frames during gameplay, so there must be a significant overhead.

Either way, the fact that they got the AA solution right here makes your entire little comment totally irrelevant to the article.
I believe they got it right because it was easy to tell, it's the only option available in the PC version and by extension all versions. I just think they're a bit too predictable with their assumptions when there's less evidence at play, especially when it comes AA, effects etc....that's why they are always being corrected by devs which has to be embarassing for a tech site. In essence I don't trust their eye to puick up things and be correct about it as other comparison sites right now, but it's because of their doing.

Uraizen

Banned
Combined with the horrible black crush that effectively ruins the cut-scenes central to enjoying the single-player story mode,

I friggin' knew something was wrong when I was playing it! I just thought there's no way that was possible. HVS, I would like you to eat a certain phallic part of the human body.

Javin98

Banned
I'm waiting on NXgamer's final analysis myself for a more thorough and visual take, but yes it would seem that AF is sorted after the uproar, I wonder why they don't go full 16xAF on the PS4 due to the stronger hardware though, it's clear that MKX never drops frames during gameplay, so there must be a significant overhead.
I think by now we can be quite sure that the AF issues in games are not due to frame rate issues, but rather memory bandwidth issues or difficulties to implement it on PS4. But I'm glad Dying Light and DmC which both had bad levels of AF on PS4 got 8× AF patched in at least. Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 have very good levels of AF on PS4 as well. Furthermore, Unreal Engine 3 games seem to have no problems with AF on PS4 too, which was thought to be an engine issue. This game, Borderlands Collection and Batman Arkham Knight (based on the recent PS4 footage) all have a good level of AF, which is very encouraging. I really hope 8× AF becomes the standard.

dark10x

I'll let you in on something, none of these Eurogamer editors are pixel counters, they get their pixel information from Beyond 3D or if these B3D guys happen to post it on GAF. I'm pretty sure that Eurogamer got this pixel information from an Al Strong post on gaf where he declared 1344*1080/1360*1080p. At this point in DF's final article the rez is not even conclusive/definite but people want to throw NXgamer under a bus becasue he has a good eye and said it first.
You're wrong about this by the way (the pixel counting). Completely wrong.

Stop making this a competition. You're actively discrediting people and making assumptions about things you know nothing about. Why treat people like this? I don't get it. Console wars aren't worth it.

Three

You're wrong about this by the way (the pixel counting). Completely wrong.

Stop making this a competition. You're actively discrediting people and making assumptions about things you know nothing about. Why treat people like this? I don't get it. Console wars aren't worth it.

Dark10x, any reason you don't actually quote the post? Makes it difficult to go back and see who you're quoting.

dark10x

Dark10x, any reason you don't actually quote the post? Makes it difficult to go back and see who you're quoting.
Was using my phone and it's annoying to delete (slowly) the whole post so I just copy and paste using the quote function on mobileGAF. I can do a proper quote with a short post but when I want just a piece it's easier to go the other way.

nib95

Banned
Better resolution and performance seems to be the common advantage PS4 versions of multi platform games enjoy over the Xbox One counterparts. It's nice that the console versions (especially the PS4 version) at least have a decent level of AF (8x) implemented, though naturally 16x would have been preferable.

SMZC

MK9 had 30fps xrays, fatalities and cut-scenes as well on consoles as well. I don't think anyone really cares if its not directly in battle. GGXrd as well intentionally is capped at 15fps for cut-scenes before and after battles.

Of course on PC where there's no technical need for it, having it on there doesn't make sense.

It didn't. On the PS3 there were slowdowns, but neither console version had a 30fps cap on any of those scenes (excluding story mode cut-scenes). This is a trend that started with Injustice, and it's probably because someone at NetherRealm thinks that 30fps gives you dat cinematic feel. sigh. It's the only reason why they would put the same cap on the PC version of MKX now.

SRTtoZ

Got it last night for PS4 and am very happy. I've only played a few hours but it runs well, looKS good and is really fun.

Buburibon

The pc version is not broken!! It had a ruff time with downloading for people in the first 48 hrs but I got it yesterday and it was smooth sailing!!

Also I am not seeing a 15gb patch... anywhere , if they get everything to 60fps that would be amazing!

Problem with pc gaming is people will comen in abd say the game runs like crap etc.. but there is so many variables on pc like what hardware they are running, what gpu they have.

On my Titan X its running 60fps solid at 4k native.

Also MK Komplete Edition I played last night at 4k native and it was fantastic looking, made the console versions in the past look like junk in comparison.

Got my first 4K/60fps TV & receiver delivered earlier this morning, and I'm pretty impressed with how sharp MKX looks running at 4K native. The overdone bloom that in my opinion is blowing out highlights still bothers me, but other than that it's great.

I wasn't going to upgrade to 4K for a while, but the Titan X kinda made me do it now. :p
By the way, 1080p upscaled to 4K works quite well with the even 4:1 pixel scaling. Once again, I'm impressed.

El Sabroso

they should have tested with the recommended hardware that is listed or the ps4 like combo they have at least, just to compare the optimization of the PC versión, which I see much variable as people report, some get solid results others just get rekt

VladTepes

Banned
Wtf are people talking about with X-rays now being 60fps? They're not in my game. Is there some kind of command line you have to put in to make this happen?

El Sabroso

Wtf are people talking about with X-rays now being 60fps? They're not in my game. Is there some kind of command line you have to put in to make this happen?

they just did exactly the same as Guilty Gear Xrd, which forces to 24 FPS there and is worse for all cinematic supers

M_A_C

And people doubted me when I said the PS4 version was better than the PC in the main MKX thread. You can really tell it's a bad port when you have both side by side.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

but right now the PS4 game is the best way to take the fight to Shinnok in this new Mortal Kombat.

Given your post, and the massive variability in PC hardware and controller preferences, I don't think the blanket statement in the DF quote I just posted is appropriate. That said, a lot of people just won't have the grunt for the PC port of MKX. It sounds like a much more demanding game than its predecessor.

VladTepes

Banned
And people doubted me when I said the PS4 version was better than the PC in the main MKX thread. You can really tell it's a bad port when you have both side by side.

No, the contrast is just different. There's no difference in texture quality or anything else.

Top Bottom