• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VVV coverage of near final PS4 version of ProjectCARS

Ding-Ding

Definitely more Forza/GT. Shift had that horrible lag and then input jumps (for want of a better word), there is none of that here.

The one thing I will say though is the cars physics haven't been neutralised like GT/Forza, the super cars are tough to drive fast. You cannot just hold your finger on accelerate and hope for the best, it's a real exercise in precise throttle control.

I really would recommend trying manual gears too if you can just to give you that bit of extra control. I map the gear change to the right stick akin to a sequential shifter and find that works well.

This is music to my ears, thanks. I have the game pre-ordered on ps4 but doubt remained, due to the horrible controls on shift 2. This sounds a hell of alot better.

Now I have to decide if I should try to get the other half to allow me to get a wheel now or wait till gt7 to see if there is any movement in the range of wheels the ps4 can use. Either way, it will be a tough sell knowing her (its not a money issue but a 'your crap is taking up too much space' thing)

Helznicht

This looks fucking incredible. I think that's the best video I've seen so far.

Just goes to show how the track design has a large effect on the overall graphics presentation. Most Real World tracks are just very plain and there isnt alot you can do with them to keep them from looking blah.

Anyone know when the VVV xbone footage is due?

This is music to my ears, thanks. I have the game pre-ordered on ps4 but doubt remained, due to the horrible controls on shift 2. This sounds a hell of alot better.

For what its worth I use the DS4 on my PC. I found the xbox controller sticks have a too short throw for me to comfortably control with. Age and too much beer I guess!

Now I have to decide if I should try to get the other half to allow me to get a wheel now or wait till gt7 to see if there is any movement in the range of wheels the ps4 can use. Either way, it will be a tough sell knowing her (its not a money issue but a 'your crap is taking up too much space' thing)

If you can convince her then then it would definitely be worth it, Cars is a lot of fun with the pad but its a different beast with a wheel!

Thanks, I'll be sure to have a good look when the game comes!

I assume those individual settings can be tweaked, giving a more granular level of adjustment rather than the 3 settings?

yep absolutely but for more casual players it gives them 3 options to at least start with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does it haven gyro steering on PS4?

Also, what are the rules to how the depth of field behaves? On that Azure coast video it seemed fairly random - sometimes the dashboard was snapping into focus, sometimes it was out of focus. Didn't seem to be tied to speed (like NFS Shift)?

Have to say I'm not overly sold on the rumble triggers, they basically buzz in one way, the standard controller rumble and its nuances communicate more to me.

danowat

Banned
Even if there is a sizeable graphical downgrade?

impulse triggers seems a bizarre reason to choose one version over t'other if you have both.

They were great in FM5,especially for threshold braking, but don't really offer enough of an incentive to choose over the better performance of the other version.

But each to their own I guess :)

DieH@rd

Banned
Each time I look at the gameplay videos of this game, I'm always left impressed by the AI. More often than other racers, they would go out of their way of not trading paint with you even in the middle of a turn. Forcing them to go wide actually seems like a viable strategy in PCars.

Heh, AI was crap for 2+ years, and it became good only in the last few months. :D

eso76

Alan is pretty bad with the pad. It's painful to watch his footage at times.

Keep it up though Alan! Still love your videos and coverage of pCARS.

Yep, it looks like he's using the dpad at times. Tap tap tap

I for one am still unable to get a clean lap around the nordschleife though, so I am in no position to talk.

Impressive IA though

Mascot

Each time I look at the gameplay videos of this game, I'm always left impressed by the AI. More often than other racers, they would go out of their way of not trading paint with you even in the middle of a turn. Forcing them to go wide actually seems like a viable strategy in PCars.

I've noticed that too, and been similarly impressed. I'd like the AI to make significant human-like mistakes a la GRID more than they do though - running wide, spinning out, and actually crashing. I've yet to see an AI car parked up by the side of the track after a race-ending crash - I love it in GTR2 where you can round a bend and find a totalled AI car by the side of the road, maybe with a wheel missing with flames and black smoke pouring out of its engine bay.

Edit: come to think of it, damage seems radically dialled back compared to videos that were circulating several months ago...

VVV Mars VG

Anyone know when the VVV xbone footage is due?

Alas I won't have the XB version till finished promo's go out, so you'll see the world and his wife getting videos up next week.

I have seen a newer build very briefly but not played it, it had moved on leaps and bounds beyond the build I recorded, was running smoothly and much more detailed.

DieH@rd

Banned
Damn!

I've never raced this track before. Why has it not been featured in more games?

Probably because when game developers are looking at making tracks from England, they inevitably choose Silverstone and Donington combo. GT6 added Brands Hatch [and exclusive version of Goodwill hill climb], but pCARS supports not only those three but also other UK tracks such as Oulton, Cadwell and Snetterton. There is enough of them present to make a great UK-based racing league.

edit - Summerton is fictional UK kart track

bombshell

Probably because when game developers are looking at making tracks from England, they inevitably choose Silverstone and Donington combo. GT6 added Brands Hatch [and exclusive version of Goodwill hill climb], but pCARS supports not only those three but also other UK tracks such as Oulton, Cadwell, Summerton and Snetterton. There is enough of them present to make a great UK-based racing league.

Indeed. The track selection in Project CARS is amazing and it's what has me most excited about the game.

JamboGT

As well as that I think of Cadwell as being a bike circuit rather than a car one, for example BTCC doesn't race there but the British Superbike Championship does. Fantastic track with the best jump in short circuit racing.

Looks great. Also have a question will this game have free run where you can run any car on any track? or is it just about racing?. Reason why i ask is cause i like having fun just testing the cars in free run more then i like racing.

DieH@rd

Banned
Looks great. Also have a question will this game have free run where you can run any car on any track? or is it just about racing?. Reason why i ask is cause i like having fun just testing the cars in free run more then i like racing.

I think that every combination of track/car is possible in free practice/single event races, except on kart tracks.

Putty

As more and more footage has been released, my interest has been creeping to the point of a confirmed purchase I think. I'm a lover of DC but I'm a monster GT nut, and naturally the wait for that will be considerable, but this looks like a worthy stop gap.

dedhead54

Its crazy how interested in this game I am as it gets close to release. The more I see/hear about it the more excited I get. For some reason I wasn't expecting this kind of game when I first heard of it. It honestly looks like an amazing experience and VVV is doing a damn good job of upping the hype. Their videos are fantastic.

DieH@rd

Banned
The way the track detail disappears in the rear view is a little jarring - and I'm guessing is from non-final code, but otherwise that's a very attractive trailer.

I think that will stay even in final version. They need to cut corners somewhere. :D

Pjsprojects

Even if there is a sizeable graphical downgrade?

Tbh I don't expect it to be that massive and knowing me I wouldn't even notice unless the two versions were side by side.
It's a case of if worried I'd buy the pc version.

VVV,thanks for the update,good to hear you think X1 version has come on well.

danowat

Banned
This is looking great, except for the blur/depth of field effect on EVERYTHING.

I'm confused as to what actually determines the introduction of the DOF effect.

In SHIFT, the DOF effect increased with speed, but in PCars, it just seems to happen, sometimes it's there at say 130km/h, but gone at 250km/h

I'm confused as to what actually determines the introduction of the DOF effect.

In SHIFT, the DOF effect increased with speed, but in PCars, it just seems to happen, sometimes it's there at say 130km/h, but gone at 250km/h

It seems to appear when the player's car is close to the tail of another.

Does anyone have any videos of smooth controller play? Everything I've seen so far implies it's very twitchy and difficult to hold a smooth line.

Top Bottom