• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yamcha got killed by a Saibaman -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamcha, sucked after original Dragon Ball.

Once the Saiyans were introduced in DBZ, all humans were pretty much done fighting. I can only remember that one time Tien held back Cell.

AlucardGV

Banned
i...actually like yamcha. i think he had pretty cool moves back when goku was a kid and i like his spirit ball. my second fav after piccolo

PMobg4P.gif

I love these types of gifs.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
It bums me out that aside from Broly (who I understand is not considered canon?) there are no other evil saiyans that appear in the series after the Vegeta saga. I'd like a continuing saiyan character who always poses a threat.

Goliath

It bums me out that aside from Broly (who I understand is not considered canon?) there are no other evil saiyans that appear in the series after the Vegeta saga. I'd like a continuing saiyan character who always poses a threat.

Why? It was done in the DBZ series with Radditz, then Nappa/Vegeta. Then they did it in three Broly DBZ movies and the DBZ movie, The Tree of Might with Turles.

They have done the evil saiyan thing to death.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Why? It was done in the DBZ series with Radditz, then Nappa/Vegeta. Then they did it in three Broly DBZ movies and the DBZ movie, The Tree of Might with Turles.

They have done the evil saiyan thing to death.

Two of those saiyans were reduced to movie fodder (Broly and Turles), one was killed at the very beginning of DBZ (Radditz), another was killed not too shortly after that (Nappa), and the other became "good" (Vegeta). Done to death or not it hasn't been done well, I think.

PSqueak

Banned
dbe.gif

Funny thing is apparently Sorachi actually likes Yamcha as a character.

I always wondered, why is it usually handed like this in Anime?

You know, like there is that other anime that has a bunch of girls talking about vegeta's worth as a man, and all the images appear with his eyes censored.

Why can't they do it like, the Simpsons or, ugh, Family guy and just straight up reference it directly without knockoffs?

Goliath

Two of those saiyans were reduced to movie fodder (Broly and Turles), one was killed in at the very beginning of DBZ (Radditz), another was killed not too shortly after that (Nappa), and the other became "good" (Vegeta). Done to death or not it hasn't been done well, I think.

Well you have to think about it like this. What "new" evil saiyan story could they tell? They did the blood ties arc with Radditz which was pretty good and even though he died it took Goku and Piccolo to kill him and he took Goku with him. They did the ambition angle with Vegeta, which again was a great arc that spilled over to the best arc, the Frieza arc. The movies had fun with just evil Saiyans. What is left?

If what you want is a constant reoccurring evil Saiyan character, well that's just not DBZ. They have one villain for one arc and either they die or get incorporated. Heck, the new movie with Frieza is the first time an old enemy has been brought back as a legitimate threat, (I am pretty sure, haven't seen the new movie yet).

With a good Saiyan and an evil Saiyan constantly locking horns for several arcs it will become a constant one up power up series. Since they are both the same specie in order for Goku to beat the evil Saiyan he will have to go two levels above his own every time. And if the character resurfaces with new abilities he will have to do it all over again. Honestly them battling new species in their diverse universe with the multitudes of crazy special moves is more fun then a Saiyan vs Saiyan one up game. Except for the frenemy rivalry that is Goku vs. Vegeta.

I always wondered, why is it usually handed like this in Anime?

You know, like there is that other anime that has a bunch of girls talking about vegeta's worth as a man, and all the images appear with his eyes censored.

Why can't they do it like, the Simpsons or, ugh, Family guy and just straight up reference it directly without knockoffs?

Most likely copyright issues.

NeonZ

Yamcha was never any better. Even in DB, his only victory came in a battle with outside assistance. The only thing that DBZ does that makes him even worse is that he pretty much gives up fighting by the Buu Saga.

i hope that Yamcha has a big powerup in the upcoming series just for trolling

Roshi is stronger than Yamcha now. So, they're just making him an even bigger joke. I guess part of the problem is that he has a rather high profile veteran VA, so his screentime probably costs too much for such a minor character.

But seriously, you know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see DBS make Master Roshi super fucking powerful. Like, maybe when he reaches a certain age his training makes him the human equivalent of a Super Saiyan or whatever. I just want to see him fight again!

Well, they included Roshi as part of the main Z warriors group in RoF and have him beating Freeza's grunts. Not really a power up that places him anywhere near the main fighters, but it seems like he should be at least above Raditz level now.

How is it not one of the most devastating attacks in DBZ? I mean, Frieza's version was pretty strong as well. Why didn't, like, anyone learn the move afterward? Seems so much more effective than giant energy blasts.

Goku uses it in the Buu Saga. Anyway, it seems to be way too slow. In RoF, even Freeza's grunts dodge it (although Kuririn was just using it to set up a trap). I guess even if you could hit someone like final form Freeza with it, he'd still be fast enough to move out of the way before it does more than a superficial scratch.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Well you have to think about it like this. What "new" evil saiyan story could they tell? They did the blood ties arc with Radditz which was pretty good and even though he died it took Goku and Piccolo to kill him and he took Goku with him. They did the ambition angle with Vegeta, which again was a great arc that spilled over to the best arc, the Frieza arc. The movies had fun with just evil Saiyans. What is left?

If what you want is a constant reoccurring evil Saiyan character, well that's just not DBZ. They have one villain for one arc and either they die or get incorporated. Heck, the new movie with Frieza is the first time an old enemy has been brought back as a legitimate threat, (I am pretty sure, haven't seen the new movie yet).

With a good Saiyan and an evil Saiyan constantly locking horns for several arcs it will become a constant one up power up series. Since they are both the same specie in order for Goku to beat the evil Saiyan he will have to go two levels above his own every time. And if the character resurfaces with new abilities he will have to do it all over again. Honestly them battling new species in their diverse universe with the multitudes of crazy special moves is more fun then a Saiyan vs Saiyan one up game. Except for the frenemy rivalry that is Goku vs. Vegeta.

Maybe a Saiyan who is trying to bring back Planet Vegeta and repopulate it, similar to a movie that came out recently with some guy in a red cape but only better.
Would be a bad idea.

Do Parody clauses not exist in Japan?

legit question, because that sounds Draconian as fuck.

I don't know the specifics, but I think this is the case. Even names of real life convenience stores/restaurants that appear in manga/anime are altered to something similar sounding but different.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm pretty sure honestly Gintama just does it as a joke more than being worried about copyright issues. In one Arc they even blurred out the faces of Gundams despite both being Sunrise---coincidentally though that Arc got into trouble because they mocked a politician.

I'm pretty sure honestly Gintama just does it as a joke more than being worried about copyright issues. In one Arc they even blurred out the faces of Gundams despite both being Sunrise---coincidentally though that Arc got into trouble because they mocked a politician.

Yeah, Gintama parodies a lot of stuff, so in that series' case, it may not be a copyright issue deal. For other series that aren't parody-based, it might be copyright, but again I am just guessing as I have no legal knowledge of that stuff.

NeonZ

I don't think it's that simple. They actually used bgm from the original Gundam in the tv broadcast, but the online streams replaced it. So, there was some kind of rights issue.

Another show by Sunrise, Keroro/Sgt.Frog, often could show Gundams from the UC series and movies without problems, but they had to censor and use indirect references for AU Gundams.

PSqueak

Banned
I don't know the specifics, but I think this is the case. Even names of real life convenience stores/restaurants that appear in manga/anime are altered to something similar sounding but different.

Well, that sort of makes sense, even american cartoons do that, but i mean, a show like the MAD cartoon wouldn't be able to exist in japan? That's sort of...weird.

You live your entire life as a criminal in a desert. The only companionship you have a talking cat. One day, desperate for something of worth in your dirt-ridden existence, you try to rob a teenage girl, a pig, and a small boy. The small boy kicks your teeth out after seeing a girl makes you bashful and embarrassed, and peeping a titty makes you pass out.

When confronted with the possibility of having any wish granted by a magical dragon, your wish would be "I don't want to drop spaghetti while looking at a lady"

You then spend days creeping on these folks, watching for a way to achieve this lofty goal, you are forced to hit a little girl (one of your few [only?] victories) and then hit on her.

Eventually you are captured and saved only when the little kid turns into a giant monkey. The pig does more than you to save the day.

But it's okay, right? You finally got a girlfriend. Well, kind of. You don't really see each other that often.

You decide to show the world your stuff and enter into the Tenkaichi Budokai, the greatest martial arts tournament of all time. You are immediately eliminated in the quarter finals by an old man nobody's heard of before. You embarrass and humiliate yourself by insisting that it's a different old man in disguise before being proven a fool.

The next time you hear from Goku, he's taking on terrorist Nazis or some crazy shit. So you gear up to raid the Hydra base and... you're not needed at all. You get a sinking feeling in your heart, like this won't be getting old soon.

You help Goku fight the fortune teller's fighters. An invisible man beats you up and you barely win when your girlfriend's boobs are gawked at by an old man. You are then beaten up by a mummy.

But the Turtle Hermit, greatest living martial arts master, has taken you in. You'll do well in the next tournament!

Nope. The heel you challenged beats and destroys you in front of a crowd. You are helpless. Like a child. Your legs, broken. By the end of the tournament, the man who brutalized you is declared champion, but he decided to be "nice" now, so you have to pretend that it's okay and you're friends after he annihilated your pride for all to see.

A demon king attacks the world and you stay with the peanut gallery. The bad guy doesn't even bother to go after you despite specifically targeting martial artists. Jesus Christ.

Speaking of God, Goku is training with God now. You feel so very small and weak. M-maybe the next tournament.... ?

The next tournament sees you headbutted in the junk and defeated handily by a middle aged tourist. True, it's God in disguise, but still. Nobody knows that. Yamcha, the desert bandit. His tournament career ended by an old man. That's your public legacy.

(Also you have a scar for some reason, which is kind of pathetic considering that the children who underwent the same training didn't get maimed like you.)

Oh, and Goku gets married before you, and he doesn't even know what marriage is.

Years pass and you become a baseball player. That one glorious period of fame and recognition is going to come to an end. You learn that Goku's dead and it's time for you and the others to take the lead. Time to train under God himself to protect the Earth from deadly alie

nvm you died. krillin destroys several saibamen with a single attack, while you lie lifeless in the dirt. good try though. yajirobe and the five year old do more than you.

For the next few months you sit on a planet while King Kai teaches you jack shit.

You come back to life! Your girlfriend breaks up with you and immediately starts flirting with the guy who got you killed less than a year ago. His power is so strong and big compared to yours, flaccid and tiny. You can only stand around and cry when Frieza comes to Earth, and are filled with joy when he's defeated by a mysterious stranger from the future who gives you a dire warning that you're going to fail in another timeline as well.

After three years of training your ex hooks up with the evil spaceman and they make a baby, who you have to help change the diapers of whenever you swing by

You get punched through the chest by an old man without doing anything. You try to explain that they can steal your energy, but you could have done something before that. You just don't care anymore. You wait until Goku's nearly dead to explain the energy stealing bit, and then take him back home to babysit him as you openly acknowledge your uselessness

Oh and the future stranger is Bulma and Vegeta's badass robot fighting son, and thus the whole fate of two worlds depended on Vegeta and Bulma's amazing sweaty unprotected lovemaking. Nothing has ever depended on you or ever will

Tien does more than you when he holds off the bugman. You just do nothing. Krillin gets a robot girlfriend who barely ages. You get nothing.

A tournament comes around again and the gang is getting together for old time's sake. Even Krillin is going to enter. Good ol' Krillin. Always there for the team. Always in the fight, even when he's outclassed.

You stay in the stands with Krillin's daughter to babysit her. Your ex-girlfriend cheers on her husband and their son, who wins the junior division. You have no son.

When they all fly off to fight Majin Buu nobody even thinks about inviting you to come and help

Nobody ever thinks about you

Mik317

Yamcha legit has no none * wins in the entire series IIRC.

His two on screen/panel wins came via Goku being hungry and weak, and thanks to Bulma's tits.

Other than that...nothing but Ls..often embarrassing ones. Dude even lost outside of battle by getting his girl stolen, being broke as fuck, and then just generally forgotten.

Dude is a walkin L machine

edit: Goddam at the above post...I feel that ether in MY soul

PSqueak

Banned
Yamcha legit has no none * wins in the entire series IIRC.

His two on screen/panel wins came via Goku being hungry and weak, and thanks to Bulma's tits.

Other than that...nothing but Ls..often embarrassing ones. Dude even lost outside of battle by getting his girl stolen, being broke as fuck, and then just generally forgotten.

Dude is a walkin L machine

He scored some wins in the tourney arcs in DB, he usually got to the quarter finals, he literally lost God in one.

Yamcha scored some more wins while dead, him, tien, piccolo and chiaotzu collectively beat the ginyu forces while they were all dead.

You come back to life! Your girlfriend breaks up with you and immediately starts flirting with the guy who got you killed less than a year ago. His power is so strong and big compared to yours, flaccid and tiny. You can only stand around and cry when Frieza comes to Earth, and are filled with joy when he's defeated by a mysterious stranger from the future who gives you a dire warning that you're going to fail in another timeline as well.

tumblr_lvmlliQVsM1qancn8o1_500.gif

Yamcha was a jobber in Dragonball. The only notable victory he had was the one versus the invisible guy and a starving Goku at the start.

Yamcha jobbed to Roshi, Tien, and Kami.

Watch Da Birdie

When they all fly off to fight Majin Buu nobody even thinks about inviting you to come and help

Nobody ever thinks about you

In the show at least King Kai actually brought Yamcha to the Kai Planet to train him just in case.

He even had a sparring match with Olive and some other dude from the Other World Tournament and won.

Yamcha was a hilariously pathetic character.

He was arrogant enough to wistfully allow another character to look up to him, and his mannerism around the likes of Goku and Piccalo suggested he felt they were all equals. He had the arrogance of Vegeta; the nobility of Goku, and the ability of tadpole Cell.

In the show at least King Kai actually brought Yamcha to the Kai Planet to train him just in case.

He even had a sparring match with Olive and some other dude from the Other World Tournament and won.

yes, in the filler

because that's what yamcha is, filler. when the show needs something that doesn't matter and will never intefere with canon, it's yamcha

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Remember that time Yamcha was actually useful?

Me neither. Guy is actually less helpful than Yajurobi, at least Yajurobi brings the beans.

Watch Da Birdie

Yamcha was a hilariously pathetic character.

He was arrogant enough to wistfully allow another character to look up to him, and his mannerisms around the likes of Goku and Piccalo suggested he felt they were all equals. He had the arrogance of Vegeta; the nobility of Goku, and the ability of tadpole Cell.

Nah, Yamcha was the first character to go "okay, this is too far above me, I gotta just stay outta this."

It's actually Krillin who's the arrogant one. He's the one who constantly mocks the "regular" humans in the later parts of DBZ despite being basically the same as them to the Saiyans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom