• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2015 [Up1: Xbox One #1]

I love how people say "pitiful numbers all around" and don't put things into content. Is the number 187K for XB1 sexy looking by itself? No.

Compared to the 115K XB1 did last May? Yep.

Come on. What are you using as your base of comparison so come to a conclusion that it is pitiful?

Yeah the improvement YoY for the Xbox is worth noting. Going from 115k to 187k is a pretty nice jump. Granted its much cheaper now, but still a notable improvement.

joecanada

It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS4 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS4. Sony has nothing left, nothing they can reveal at E3 would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a PS4. Except if they want to play NMS. Which will also come to One at some point.

The age of Sony is done.
Lol 8/10

rokkerkory

I love how people say "pitiful numbers all around" and don't put things into content. Is the number 187K for XB1 sexy looking by itself? No.

Compared to the 115K XB1 did last May? Yep.

Come on. What are you using as your base of comparison so come to a conclusion that it is pitiful?

Fan bots for ya

It's also above the Original Xbox and 360 during their respective second April.

Really? It outpaced the 360s second April? That's a pretty good sign for them. To be honest the Xbone is having a pretty solid performance in NA. It should finish lifetime with a pretty nice install base.

The major issue they are going to run into with matching or coming close to 360 numbers is the rest of the world. They are just getting obliterated in nearly every market.

Welfare

Wait. What is this bullshit?

Xbox 360 April 2007 (Second April) 174k

PS4 April 2015 (Second April) 174k

PS3 April 2008 (Second April) 187k

Xbox One April 2015 (Second April) 187k

pixelation

Lol it's a victory. Stop trying to spin this as a "hollow" victory.

To me it is, doesn't change much in the big picture. But i'm sure that Microsoft and their loyal fan base are pleased. I think i need to make something clear before you guys start hurling tomatoes at me and that is that i do not own any of the current gen consoles so please don't paint me as a fan boy because i am not.

I honestly don't see much of a cause for celebration when the gap is this small.

Yeah CosmicQueso noted it earlier in the thread. Combined Xbone + PS4 second April is identical to 2nd PS3 + 360 second April.

Crazy. What are the odds?

Why are we so obsessed with numbers?

Because some of us enjoy following the industry?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again. Look to last generation to see the shape of things to come.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS4 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS4. Sony has nothing left, nothing they can reveal at E3 would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a PS4. Except if they want to play NMS. Which will also come to One at some point.

The age of Sony is done.

Are you, by any chance, an expert on japanese culture?

Check the prediction thread & last month's NPD.

Such as the ravings of TheodorPEWD, ScientificReason, MalitikSabu & co in the last NPD Results thread. Thank God that's over with.

Stick around for any of the bigger months, where the threads run longer. Interesting times all around.

Edit: ^ And that too. Still trying to forget that stuff.

And no one here thought that Hermain Cain also fit the bill?

Next month it'll look even sexier. I'm sure we will see a PR line about sales being double that of last year.

77k is such a rut, and 115k was in April, not May :)
Doh. Yep, well, you know what I meant :p

Yeah the improvement YoY for the Xbox is worth noting. Going from 115k to 187k is a pretty nice jump. Granted its much cheaper now, but still a notable improvement.
Yep, and there were heavy promotions, but still, the consoles are getting into more people's hands, so I disagree with the "pitiful" sales comments.

Not to mention all the earlier talk of PS4 needing a price cut...it's like I was passing through crazy town for a little bit there, but order has been restored!

Doh. Yep, well, you know what I meant :p

Yep, and there were heavy promotions, but still, the consoles are getting into more people's hands, so I disagree with the "pitiful" sales comments.

Not to mention all the earlier talk of PS4 needing a price cut...it's like I was passing through crazy town for a little bit there, but order has been restored!

PS4 still needs a price cut honestly. Its down YoY and still at its launch price.

RexNovis

Banned
And no one here thought that Hermain Cain also fit the bill?

He's not nearly as obnoxious. But he tows the line occasionally bumping inactive sales threads with (now surprisingly accurate) Voodoo Magic predictions. He hasn't flown completely off the handle yet though.

OT: Is there a reason NPD switched to rankings by title as opposed to SKU? Rankings by title seems inherently skewed towards multiplatform releases and doesnt really paint the clearest picture for sales.

Also this
PS4 still needs a price cut honestly. Its down YoY and still at its launch price.

Price cut is happening. The timing and the total amount might not be known at this point but it is definitely coming. It is overdue at this point. Personally I lean towards $100 price cut at Paris Games Week mainly due to Sony's historical precedent of $100 price cuts and the suspicious timing of the PGW conference (day and date with the release of Halo 5).

TomShoe

Banned
He's not nearly as obnoxious. But he tows the line occasionally bumping inactive sales threads with (now surprisingly accurate) Voodoo Magic predictions. He hasn't flown completely off the handle yet though.

OT: Is there a reason NPD switched to rankings by title as opposed to SKU? Rankings by title seems inherently skewed towards multiplatform releases and doesnt really paint the clearest picture for sales.

Haven't they been slowly offering less data for years now? I believe they used to offer the rankings by SKU, but they stopped. No idea why.

RexNovis

Banned
Haven't they been slowly offering less data for years now? I believe they used to offer the rankings by SKU, but they stopped. No idea why.

Yea I know they used to provide rankings by SKU I was just wondering if they ever gave a reason behind switching it up to by title. Seems much less useful/informative to me.

Ok so now that it appears the masses are sated and have moved on from this thread lets talk potential trends going into May NPD. Now so far the main reasons I have heard for the unexpected increase in XB1 demand were the GameStop and BB trade in deals along with the release of the MCC bundle. Neither of these strike me as something that would continue momentum into May. Are there any other possible causes I'm unaware of for the spike in sales?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I dont know about Witcher 3 marketing deal thing. Cant say Microsoft will be a clear winner because of that. The whole marketing is weird when it comes to this game. I found and saw more witcher videos on Playstation channel on Youtube than Xbox. Every one reviewed it on PS4. The only place I saw it was being marketed as Xbox One game was during conan show. That too was a PC version.

I wouldn't call this a marketing deal at all.

ethomaz

Banned
I dont know about Witcher 3 marketing deal thing. Cant say Microsoft will be a clear winner because of that. The whole marketing is weird when it comes to this game. I found and saw more witcher videos on Playstation channel on Youtube than Xbox. Every one reviewed it on PS4. The only place I saw it was being marketed as Xbox One game was during conan show. That too was a PC version.

The PS4 version was ahead in development I guess... that is why you saw more videos and the reviews from this version.

Same happened with others games at launch... even with MS market deal CoD was ready first for PS4... so more videos.

Ape

Banned

It has exclusive content in the bone collectors ed

crinale

Xbox One Week 19, 2015 (In Japan) 187
Sorry I couldn't resist

OuterLimits

Heh, not really... pretty insignificant gap, as hollow a victory as they come.

I wasn't expecting Microsoft to win the month. I doubt many people were. So the victory seems rather impressive regardless of the margin. Especially since Sony seems to have all the momentum and some good games recently released.

I own a PS4 and so far the X1 doesn't really interest me. Although I expect Microsoft to have a good holiday and a good bundle deal may tempt me to get one this year.

Fat4all

Banned
Ok so now that it appears the masses are sated and have moved on from this thread lets talk potential trends going into May NPD. Now so far the main reasons I have heard for the unexpected increase in XB1 demand were the GameStop and BB trade in deals along with the release of the MCC bundle. Neither of these strike me as something that would continue momentum into May. Are there any other possible causes I'm unaware of for the spike in sales?

I would have said a Witcher 3 Xbox One bundle, but that's obviously not happening (at least not anytime soon).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox One either wins or stays close to the PS4 sales wise in May, but I think PS4 will pull ahead a bit in April with the Batman bundle.

Top Bottom