• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Gameplay (E3 2015)

This would be my dream game honestly, a openworld TLOU would be pure insanity!

I don't think you can tell a story like the ones NaughtyDog wants to tell in an open world.
The storys NaughtyDog tells leave no space for player freedom.
And I think the fact that they don't give a lot of freedom to the player is the reason why the story in TLoU is the best I've ever encountered in a video game.

Raptor

I don't think you can tell a story like the ones NaughtyDog wants to tell in an open world.
The storys NaughtyDog tells leave no space for player freedom.
And I think the fact that they don't give a lot of freedom to the player is the reason why the story in TLoU is the best I've ever encountered in a video game.

I know is almost impossible that they can create something like TLOU in a openworld environment but maybe a different kind of story more open could be made.

Its just the thought of having this amazing gameplay in this amazing world entering and leaving some infected zones scavanging, all that, just like in TLOU but with more missions to do instead of only one.

One can dream...

:p

monocromo

This posted?

P7Ux1Wu.jpg

Even while knowing thats the flag from Madagascar, having Elena Fisher and the red part of it being the one with the mark...

D:

Please tell me its just an innocent screw

Game4life

Banned
TLOU2 basically confirmed open world basically

Way more open? Sure but not open world. Druckman says he does not like Open World Games much because of pacing issues so if Druckman and Straley are returning for TLOU2 instead of a new IP it will most likely not be open world.

Or, like in nearly every open world game, the pacing of the story is always put aside in favour of free roaming. The Witcher 3 starts with you rushing to find Yenn only to be sidetracked while you help an old lady find her cooking pan. You lose any sense of urgency.

Hell, the entire ME series felt like it had that issue, even though I loved it so very much.
Druckmann specifically mention that he don't like open world game exactly like your example, there's no tension when the story ask you to save someone immediately but you're doing side quest is instead. So i think it's safe to assume they won't do that in uncharted 4

Mustafo

Banned
Here's the version of the gameplay video with corrected white and black levels:

https://mega.co.nz/#!KU0wmK6a!-9kjK0R6wVtPj_NgLg9El2iEXJp6h5jlpYnvTG_Rm4A

This video has much nicer contrast and color vibrancy than the original messed up encode. To minimize the degradation due to re-encoding, I encoded this one with much higher bitrate than the original, and I used the 'placebo' preset on Handbrake. If there's any additional artifacting in this encode I made, I can't see it just by watching the video.

Corrected video:
jYA5mYK.jpg

Original video:
SlwHjGW.jpg

Save them and swap between them quickly to see just how different they really are

Nice, here's the Youtube version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy41D0hO0TU

I wish ND would post a raw, multi-gigabyte capture of the demo. The compression works terribly against this game, even on the Gamersyde version.

I know is almost impossible that they can create something like TLOU in a openworld environment but maybe a different kind of story more open could be made.

Its just the thought of having this amazing gameplay in this amazing world entering and leaving some infected zones scavanging, all that, just like in TLOU but with more missions to do instead of only one.

One can dream...

:p

Then you're in it for the open-world experiences that has been already done billions of times this generation. Why do you think ND opted to have a more linear, yet focused storyline? What you're suggesting isn't TLOU, it's Cordyceps Infestation: Survivor Edition.

daTRUballin

This will sound like a random question, and I don't know any other thread where I could ask this in.

What is the whole Druckmann meme about? Can someone tell me the story behind this?

Maybe someone could show me a link to the thread or post it originated from? I tried searching, but couldn't really find anything. I'm just curious. :p

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A little tech talk by NaughtyDog employees, they also talk Uncharted 4 tech.
https://www.gnomon.edu/community/events/headspace-an-evening-with-naughty-dog

Dual Shockers has a few articles about it and made some short youtube videos where they show certain effects etc. So if you don't have the time to watch the whole thing check that out. Can't link it here because the site is banned though.

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check this out. Love reading/watching behind the scene stuff.

Shin-Ra

There's three videos there on the Gnomon site, each nearly an hour and twenty minutes.

VFX for Games
Videogame Environments

Game Character Creation

If you watched the PSX panel you may remember Yibing Jiang also worked on environment shading and weapon texture/shading in The Order but now I'm just discovering that Hans Godard (Character Tech Director/Rigger) previously worked at Quantic Dream for two years.

Hans shows off some impressive mesh deformation like Drake's face against the sand and physics-modified animation similar to the NaturalMotion stuff in GTA.

They can modify mouth/lip animations with lip stickiness.

Way more open? Sure but not open world. Druckman says he does not like Open World Games much because of pacing issues so if Druckman and Straley are returning for TLOU2 instead of a new IP it will most likely not be open world.
Good, we don't need every game to be open world. I completely agree with him and you. Make it a bit more open but still keep it focused.

Top Bottom