• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Gameplay (E3 2015)

VanWinkle

Video HQ Gamersyde

AuEzFzq.png

That character model is unbelievably good. Hair looks better than in the PSX demo, too. Although the PSX demo doesn't seem to have the dithered shadows on top of his forehead and in his eye. Hmm...

uc4demo.jpg

AuEzFzq.png

(Granted, the top looks better, because it has the fixed black levels and isn't as compressed.)

I think, above anything, that ND has done very well to balance out the violence and simulation to keep it under the M/P18 rating. It's easier to have all the violence galore because there's no limit from there on out, but keeping it under while balancing the design must've been an enduring task for ND especially coming out from TLOU.

Thretau

Give me more sneaking, puzzles and exploration with less shooting. One thing I really liked in The Last of Us was the improved melee combat and stealth. Shooting was always the weakest point in all Uncharted games for me so making melee more viable was a great choice in my opinion. I understand the feel of TLoU is totally different from Uncharted but one can dream right?

Naughty Dog have improved the shooting sequences a lot during their PS3 games. Only truly hideously designed shootouts happened in the first Uncharted.

KORNdoggy

Give me more sneaking, puzzles and exploration with less shooting. One thing I really liked in The Last of Us was the improved melee combat and stealth. Shooting was always the weakest point in all Uncharted games for me so making melee more viable was a great choice in my opinion. I understand the feel of TLoU is totally different from Uncharted but one can dream right?

Naughty Dog have improved the shooting sequences a lot during their PS3 games. Only truly hideously designed shootouts happened in the first Uncharted.

based on the first footage they released of U4, you're getting just that. a more sandbox approach to combat. where you can freely switch between stealth and gunplay dynamically. you even get enemy awareness notifications often seen in stealth games. it seems like it's a pretty viable option now. not just a set peice that means very little.

it's what i find most exciting about the new game. cinemetic set peices are a given and they're great. but the improvements to the bread and butter core gameplay is what i love.

Cyberia

Bruce: Vehicles were something we wanted in previous games, and while they were there, this is the first time they’ve been drivable. There a lot of new mechanics in this game and we want to give you lots of opportunities to use them; we’ll ease you into it, give you opportunities to learn the new features, then you can go crazy with them.

Neil: In the demo, essentially Nate’s moving at 60 mph, he’s under stress, as usual there’s people trying to kill him, so as a player your foot is always going to be on the gas. But we use the jeep in other ways, you can jump in and out and go exploring, and we’ve been able to open up the levels and let players drive great distances.

Bruce: At the same time, we’ve got a lot of story to tell, so we’re not creating an open world where you can take the jeep anywhere – we want to make sure we’re setting up and paying off everything that we’ve put into the game in the right way. So at times, the jeep can move through vast areas, but at times like the level you’ve just seen, you’ve got to hit the gas because Sam’s in trouble.”

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015...at-stunning-e3-uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end-demo/

Jomjom

Banned
That's a great Easter Egg.

Shouldn't it be Elena Drake?
please say she kept her surname, hopefully no divorce

640px-Elena_Fisher_in_Uncharted_4.jpg

My wife kept her last name. I think lots of women do that these days. Don't really think it means anything. Especially a strong, independent female character like Elena I would expect not to take Nate's name.

Strike

My wife kept her last name. I think lots of women do that these days. Don't really think it means anything. Especially a strong, independent female character like Elena I would expect not to take Nate's name.
She is a journalist. She may just use it for professional reasons.

Lemondish

Which isn't even his real name, by the way.

And we need an U3 spoiler here:

Nathan Drake isn't his real name, I don't think it would have a legal value

I really wonder how opening levels like that will affect pacing, which Uncharted's always excelled in.

I'm very crious, but excited nonetheless, demos looked fantastic so far.
Basically it'll happened during the downtime of the story. Like maybe they just arrive to their destination and mercenaries haven't catch up with them, or Drake think they're safe from them.

As long as they fill enough thing to see and great banter and character interaction, you wouldn't feel bored. Bad pacing is when you start to get bored because nothing interesting is happening, and you don't always need action for interesting stuff to happen.

Gurish

Dear god, please don't let this be true :'(
I trust ND, they can make it amazing if they will choose this path, don't worry there wont be mindless collectible and meaningless fetch quests, believe me.

But most likely they won't, they just said there is no sense of urgent in open world games.

Lemondish

Basically it'll happened during the downtime of the story. Like maybe they just arrive to their destination and mercenaries haven't catch up with them, or Drake think they're safe from them.

As long as they fill enough thing to see and great banter and character interaction, you wouldn't feel bored. Bad pacing is when you start to get bored because nothing interesting is happening, and you don't always need action for interesting stuff to happen.

Or, like in nearly every open world game, the pacing of the story is always put aside in favour of free roaming. The Witcher 3 starts with you rushing to find Yenn only to be sidetracked while you help an old lady find her cooking pan. You lose any sense of urgency.

Hell, the entire ME series felt like it had that issue, even though I loved it so very much.

Becaus we're not doing the killing while watching an Indy movie.

But we cheer for him to do the killing? Killing in Uncharted isn't a complicated act. They are Bad Guys, they shoot at you, you shoot at them. Really never understood the people who take issue with the violence in Uncharted. It's not over the top and the tone is so pulpy that it's pretty fluff.

Kei-

But we cheer for him to do the killing? Killing in Uncharted isn't a complicated act. They are Bad Guys, they shoot at you, you shoot at them. Really never understood the people who take issue with the violence in Uncharted. It's not over the top and the tone is so pulpy that it's pretty fluff.

i just felt uncomfortable for the first time with the amount of people being killed. more realistic the game gets it is getting kinda unsettling.

I think a better question is how come no one seems to feel uncomfortable with the fact Indy doesn't seem to take issue with killing all those people in the films? Doesn't that make him just as much a sociopath, and therefore shouldn't you feel just as uncomfortable cheering for him?

Personally, there's no difference to me. It all comes down to suspension of disbelief. Most people are able to suspend their disbelief or discomfort etc, when it comes to Nate performing crazy physical feats and don't necessarily place themselves in his shoes, but once he kills a certain number of people they start to feel uncomfortable that they start to put themselves in his shoes.

The game doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's perfectly fine.

Top Bottom