• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Gameplay (E3 2015)

Shin-Ra

LSD Drake screencap

CIfJLwQUAAAKxH7.jpg:large

Someone should GIF the part where it shows his pupil size changing!
Already did it for the December PSX panel.

DrakeEyes.gif

GnawtyDog

Banned
Just watched the footage again on my TV. My god the attention to detail is insane. The openness of the driving sequence, the destruction, the crowds.... wow.... ND is just on another level. Great thing about the HD TV era, 65+ inch TV's are fucking awesome.

Copied from the article: Uncharted 4 Videos Show Awesome Foliage and Water Puddles Technology and More

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End uses some quite innovative techniques to achieve its effects, and two of them were showcased during an event hosted by the Gnomon School of Visual Effects in Hollywood.

In the videos at the bottom of the post you can check out the shader foliage animation and the tech used for ripples in water puddles in action. Technical Artist Christophe Desse, Artist Andrew Maximov and Dynamics Artist Neilan Naicker also provided a few more interesting details.

- The team was initially tempted to rig the foliage in the whole game (basically setting up the foliage with actual animations), but that would have been too expensive performance-wise. That’s why Maximov created a “shader foliage animation” (which you can see in the first video below) that is much more affordable and still very interactive.

- Leaves have particle emitters on them, so if there’s a gust of wind, they actually drip droplets of water.

- At Naughty Dog developers are very happy to share their knowledge and share ownership of a project. Desse, Maximov and Naicker do it all the time.

- The fly on Drake’s forehead in the first cinematic trailer was made in the span of a day at the very last moment.

- The grain sacks used as cover in the E3 demo are physics-based as they react to bullets, but also simulation-based as they deflate when they get hit. Those are two different animation layers on top of each other.

- They didn’t really need to have the clothesline that gets ran over with the jeep in the E3 demo, but they still wanted to put it in. It was initially started by Desse, and then Naicker completed it.

On top of this, Character Technical Designer Hans Godard showcased some of the tools used by Naughty Dog, which you can see in the last video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDtL3PpNI-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZw7XxCLmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJmHKzUy0m0

This has already been shown at PSX but it's nice to see the reflection of the world on his eyes : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKY5erY6ZwY

It was posted in this article:

Uncharted 4 Shading Artist Explains Difference Between Shading for Games and Movies and More

Google it too, there is a good read in it with some nice pics and infos.

You can watch all the panels here: http://livestream.com/accounts/13240902/events/4121061

Javin98

Banned
Thanks a lot for the links, PLASTICA MAN. The info you linked is quite interesting, but are there any mentions of other graphical features like POM, silhouette tessellation (if it's in ) and global illumination? I'm especially interested to find out if the GI in this game is dynamic or baked.

JP

Nice videos. thanks.
That puddle reflection looks really off.
The reflection is there to demonstrate how they deal with water ripples, it's not there to reflect the surrounding environment which is probably dealt with by a different tool. You can see Drake walking on the surface of the water which is another thing that won't be happening in the final game.

Thanks a lot for the links, PLASTICA MAN. The info you linked is quite interesting, but are there any mentions of other graphical features like POM, silhouette tessellation (if it's in ) and global illumination? I'm especially interested to find out if the GI in this game is dynamic or baked.

You can see in the gif where the bus crashes through the wall that it is baked.

Which GIF exactly and how are you so sure?

I think you can find it in this thread. This is partially a presumption since I am just working off what my eyes can notice though. Since the indirect lighting doesn't change at all even though the level geomgetry changed quite a lot (there is now a gaping hole in the wall but the indirect lighting is the same) I just assume it is static.

I will search for it...

edit: found it
2015-06-1914_48_027ss1c.gif

Javin98

Banned
I think you can find it in this thread. This is partially a presumption since I am just working off what my eyes can notice though. Since the indirect lighting doesn't change at all even though the level geomgetry changed quite a lot (there is now a gaping hole in the wall but the indirect lighting is the same) I just assume it is static.

I will search for it...

Ok, I see what you mean. But remember the water in the caves in the PSX demo? Nate's flashlight was creating some kind of global illumination effect from the water, right? So it may be a combination of baked and dynamic GI.

You are welcome. There is dynamic adaptive tesselation for the vodey and face tat adapts to camera angles. There is dynamic GI for the flashlight in the cave like shown in PSX demo and like I sid this is the only confirmed type of dynamic GI. I don't know if the game will implement a full dynamic GI solution for the entiere scenery. It is very possible and doable. Q-Games (The Tomorrwo Children) CEO said that ND may implement a veyr advanced dynamiic GI solution to their game comparable to their game.

I will search for it...

It is very hard in many scenes to notice indirect lighting. So you can't confirm that neither it does exist or not.

Ok, I see what you mean. But remember the water in the caves in the PSX demo? Nate's flashlight was creating some kind of global illumination effect from the water, right? So it may be a combination of baked and dynamic GI.

Trust me, sometimes, (if not most of the times) an indoor dynamic GI solution caused by indoor lights is more intensive than an outdoor dynamic one. For example Fable Legends implemeneted a dynamic GI for outdoors and static GI for indoors.

Javin98

Banned
You are welcome. There is dynamic adaptive tesselation for the vodey and face tat adapts to camera angles. There is dynamic GI for the flashlight in the cave like shown in PSX demo and like I sid this is the only confirmed type of dynamic GI. I don't know if the game will implement a full dynamic GI solution for the entiere scenery. It is very possible and doable. Q-Games (The Tomorrwo Children) CEO said that ND may implement a veyr advanced dynamiic GI solution to their game comparable to their game.

It is very hard in many scenes to notice indirect lighting. So you can't confirm that neither it does exist or not.

Trust me, sometiems, (if not most of the times) an indoor dynamic GI solution caused by indoor lights is more intensive than an outdoor dynamic one. For example Fable Legends implemeneted a dynamic GI for outdoors and static GI for indoors.
Thanks for your info. Now that ND seems to be targeting 30FPS for the SP campaign, I do hope they implement a fully dynamic GI solution if they haven't already.

I said it was a presumption, but I contest the idea that it should be hard to see. A similar example was done in the original SVOGI demo by epic (the center of the room opening up causing indirect lighting to flood in). If it had a dynamic GI from sunlight even, it would happen then and it doesn't.
Trust me, sometiems, (if not most of the times) an indoor dynamic GI solution caused by indoor lights is more intensive than an outdoor dynamic one. For example Fable Legends implemeneted a dynamic GI for outdoors and static GI for indoors.
Indeed. But having it work for 1 light indoors is different than having it work for all lights.

photogaz

I see there's still talk of strange RGB levels on the new demo. Anyone care to comment? Were any other games from E3 suffering from the same issue?

I said it was a presumption, but I contest the idea that it should be hard to see. A similar example was done in the original SVOGI demo by epic (the center of the room opening up causing indirect lighting to flood in). If it had a dynamic GI from sunlight even, it would happen then and it doesn't.

SVOGI is very limited and doesn't work for outdoors, that is why it was scrapped, it is also very limited even in indoors and had many other limitations. This is really a bad example to compare with since most of Uncharted 4 is mostly outdoors.

SVOGI is very limited and doesn't work for outdoors, that is why it was scrapped, it is also very limited even in indoors and had many otehr limitations. This is really a bad example to compare with since most of Unhcrated4 is absed outdoors.
I wasn't stating anything about SVOGI in terms of performance. Barring the fact that it was not performant for outdoor scenes, I mention it to prove my point about what a dynamic GI should show in that scene (i.e. indrect light from the sun coming in through the now gaping hole in the wall). Any GI that is dynmic should be capable of that. That does not happen.

What do you think should happen in that scene if not that?

UC is my fav series of PS, cant wait for it. Hope the multiplayer is fun just like UC2

The game is looking amazing
They need to make sure they don't give advantages to the losing team. I would say make maps free, but we know that isn't going to happen. They must have a fucking banker running Naughty Dog's marketing team. Nickel and dime for everything yall.

Barring the fact that it was not performant for outdoor scenes, it proves my point about what I dynamic GI should show in that scene (i.e. indrect light from the sun coming in through the now gaping hole in the wall). Any GI that is dynmic should be capable of that.

What do you think should happen in that scene if not that?

You really choose to compare bad examples that aren't comparable, the SVOGI filling the room with lights, the room was already almost dark, hence the obvious and noticeable chnage in lighting you see. If you look at the Uncharted 4 gif, you can see that the van breaking the wall crated a volumteric lighting shaft and there was a subtle prompt flashing in the scene that may have changed everything that you didin't notice.

You really choose to compare bad examples that aren't comparable, the SVOGI filling the room with lights, the room was already almost dark, hence the obvious and noticeable chnage in lighting you see. If you look at the Uncharted 4 gif, you can see that the van breaking the wall crated a volumteric lighting shaft and there was a subtle prompt flashing in the scene that may have changed everything that you didin't notice.

It doesn't create a volumetric light shaft, that is just the particle sprite being shadowed.

What do you mean by subtle prompt flashing?

color saturation on the backwall changes a bit (even in the previously not lit areas):

breakingwallelkcb.png

if one watches the the position of the atmospheric light source / sun before drake enters the building, one can estimate the direct light-vector. which should be somthing like this (tried to illustrate how it's shining more towards the foreground):

breakingwalllightsouryak3g.png

so the change on the background can't be caused by direct lighting.

nevertheless, one could still bake the change in lighting conditions triggering an a to b switch with the wall breaking animation...

edit: just realized that the change is even better visable on the wall behind the stairs and the stairs themselves

Javin98

Banned
color saturation on the backwall changes a bit (even in the previously not lit areas):

breakingwallelkcb.png

if one watches the the position of the atmospheric light source / sun before drake enters the building, one can estimate the direct light-vector. which should be somthing like this (tried to illustrate how it's shining more towards the foreground):

breakingwalllightsouryak3g.png

so the change on the background can't be caused by direct lighting.

nevertheless, one could still bake the change in lighting conditions triggering an a to b switch with the wall breaking animation...
Good points you made, but just a question about your last sentence. Shouldn't implementing a dynamic GI solution be easier (albeit more taxing on hardware) than baking the GI into a scripted event? Especially since Uncharted 4 will probably have tons of buildings fall apart.

well if you have the frame times...sure. a lot less work for the artists/content creators and less wasted space on your BD.

but i guess game development is all about making (the right) compromises.

breakingwallelkcb.png

The change of the colour temperature on the backwall is because the indoor lighting shuts off when the truck rams through, not due to indirect lighting.

Javin98

Banned
well if you have the frame times...sure. a lot less work for the artists/content creators and less wasted space on your BD.

but i guess game development is all about making (the right) compromises.
Well, the E3 demo seemed to be running at a rock solid 30FPS and the game is at least 8 months away from release, so dynamic GI seems doable, I guess if they planned for it.

Good points you made, but just a question about your last sentence. Shouldn't implementing a dynamic GI solution be easier (albeit more taxing on hardware) than baking the GI into a scripted event? Especially since Uncharted 4 will probably have tons of buildings fall apart.

True, Geomerics Enlighten bakes lightmaps in a flexible way by storing data as placeholder and modifies them according to the change of the scene and gemoetry (like when destruction is created): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=154490023

This kind of solution is very costly since it needs much of CPU power and RAM. Enbaling a full real-time solution implies that you divide the full scene into volumes (voxelizing), either in an octree (almost impossible to do this gen), or in 3D textures (The Tomorrow Children, VXGI, Etc) and each voxel will store light data and change and react to it. This can work well, if the scene is simple and deosn' t have much meshes and geometry, but if the scene is really dteailed and fileld with objects like in here, such solution may be even more taxing. If ND will implement a full duynmaic GI to the whole game, it must be a custom solution they create, just like the cave one, but that will work for more complex interiors and exteriors.

Javin98

Banned
True, Geomerics Enlighten bakes lightmaps in a flexible way by storing data as placeholder and modifies them according to the change of the scene and gemoetry (like when destruction is created): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=154490023

This kind of solution is very costly since it needs much of CPU power and RAM. Enbaling a full real-time solution implies that you divide the full scene into volumes (voxelizing), either in an octree (almost impossible to do this gen), or in 3D textures (The Tomorrow Children, VXGI, ETC). This can work well, if the scene is simple and deosn' t have much meshes and geometry, but if the scene is really dteailed and fileld with objects like in here, such solution may be even more taxing. If ND will implement a full duynmaic GI to the whole game, it must be a custom solution they create, just like the cave one, but that will work for more complex interiors and exteriors.
Ok, first, I will admit that I didn't really get some of the things you said, but I understand most of it. Thanks for the info, though. Either way, for the time being, we can at least confirm that dynamic GI is in use for the flashlight and it looks to be an enhanced version of the one used in TLOU.

Ok, first, I will admit that I didn't really get some of the things you said, but I understand most of it. Thanks for the info, though. Either way, for the time being, we can at least confirm that dynamic GI is in use for the flashlight and it looks to be an enhanced version of the one used in TLOU.

Indeed.

And don't worry about not understanding how dynamic GI works these days. No one has an absolute solution that works in effective way these days. Many solutions get scarpepd because they are limited, or have many drawbacks, others are being refined, even the devs who are creating them struggle to understand them and enhance them. It is a feature that may be ready and common for Next-gen but not for now.

Javin98

Banned
Indeed.

And don't worry about not understanding how dynamic GI works these days. No one has an absolute solution that works in effective way these days. Many solutions get scarpepd because they are limited, or have many drawbacks, others are being refined, even the devs who are creating them struggle to understand them and enhance them. It is a feature that may be ready and common for Next-gen but not for now.
I see. Thanks a lot for all your info on global illumination.

The change of the colour temperature on the backwall is because the indoor lighting shuts off when the truck rams through, not due to indirect lighting.

thats why it increases after the breakthorugh? doesn't make much sense imo. also observe the change around the stairs on the right.

comprehending lighting isn't allways trivial (as seen with the moon landing fotographs) which is why we really souldn't speak in facts so much, till we can get our own fingers on the game or the devs comment on something.

Nice infos (mostly known for many of us) if you google this article:

New Uncharted 4 Screenshots Show Fantastic Environment; Artists Give More Details

During a livestreamed event hosted by the Gnomon School of Visual Effects in Hollywood, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Texture Artists Ana Cho and Alice Gionchetta, Concept Artist Aaron Limonick and Environment Modeler Adam Littledale gave more information on their work at Naughty Dog.

Interestingly, Limonick explained that the tools and technology used nowadays help a lot in making the final result look like the concepts, Previously a lot of the concept work simply didn’t translate into the game because it wasn’t feasible.

Littledale mentioned that according to him the most important things to help players feel immersed in an environment is the composition and the wear and tear effects.

Cho made a few interesting points about texturing:

- What she really likes about working at Naughty Dog is that she can take even two days on a texture that’s going to be a small part of a scene, taking her time to get the best result.

- Compared to The Last of Us, with PS4 there can be more texture layers and “a lot of fancy stuff.” Those layers include different parts like dirt, grass and so forth, and then they can be blended for a realistic effect.

- Until the PS3 era, textures were done mostly with Photoshop. Now Naughty Dog uses Substance Designer a lot.

- With the PS3, textures included a lot of lighting information, like baked shadows. Now most of that is done by the actual lighting, and textures are kept as neutral as possible.

Gionchetta also had something extremely interesting to show, in the form of some environment screenshots of a passport office from the level used in the E3 demo. According to her, creating it was great, because it includes a lot of materials, like wood, marble, glass and more. She could play with a lot of different textures and shader responses. She mentioned that to took her two to three weeks to do the texture work.

Google the article to see the pics.

Top Bottom