• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn new previews and gameplay

ClearData

I had a daydream that Sony and Supermassive released Evil Dead DLC for the game with Bruce Campbell reprising his role as Ash. He can watch as all the teens idiotically get themselves murdered by demons before shotgunning and chainsawing their processed bodies. :-D

spekkeh

Banned
1st time through I'm going to play by "The Rules".

◾You may not survive the movie if you have sex.
◾You may not survive the movie if you drink or do drugs.
◾You may not survive the movie if you say "I'll be right back", "Hello?" or "Who's there?"

And everyone is going to be nice and act like they actually have a brain.

2nd Play through I will be tropey as heck.

The jock will be a drunken asshole. The slutty girl will be slutty etc Everyone is going to do the exact opposite of what common sense would dictate.
Why would you ever play this game intelligently. Tropey as hell here. I just hope one of em survives. Probably the everyday guy/girl with glasses.

Stike

1. If this game manages to dance on the edge of self-awareness and crap-your-pants jumpscares like the original SCREAM movie did, it will be awesome

2. I'd do an "Until Dawn" party like this: Invite exactly 8 friends, each chooses his/her own character in the game and then they tell me how they would act. Everyone alive at the end gets a bonus pizza or something hahaha

1. If this game manages to dance on the edge of self-awareness and crap-your-pants jumpscares like the original SCREAM movie did, it will be awesome

That's what I'm looking forward to: play it with Scream/ Cabin in the Woods self-awareness, all out comedy trolling, serious but stupid, all girls win, all boys lose, everybody dies, lone survivor back from the dead. Oh boy, come on.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
That Playstation Access video was hilarious. The young woman brought a NOTEPAD. To a demo. I also think it's great that she had an idea of what she might change to
save Matt
- and it having no impact whatsoever.

That ending though.

I've heard that everyone can live. That should be the Platinum. Although I suppose it would be an easy one to get a week or so after launch.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That Playstation Access video was hilarious. The young woman brought a NOTEPAD. To a demo. I also think it's great that she had an idea of what she might change to
save Matt
- and it having no impact whatsoever.

That ending though.

I've heard that everyone can live. That should be the Platinum. Although I suppose it would be an easy one to get a week or so after launch.

They've confirmed the game has over 20 different endings, and it is possible to make everyone live/everyone die. They've also expressed there's multiple different 'versions' of each area in the game that is effected by your choices.

They've been pushing this heavily as one of those choice games where your choices really matter. It's also probably because of this why development on this game has taken so long. XD;

Gurish

I'm not watching any of the new videos, but chiming in I'm looking forward to this, been looking forward to it for years, even pre-ordered the game for PS3 for $39.99 back when it was listed on Amazon (only to get that cancelled. XD; ).

But I was absolutely sold on the game when I played it at PAX Prime in 2014, as I said in topics about the game back then and will continue to say, it felt like a mixture of an old survival-horror game, a Quantic Dream game, and a Teen Slasher horror movie with some paranormal and other horror genre twists. Based on what I have seen and know, it looks like choice plays a much bigger role here than its peers of choice-based games, and it actually has some good scares and atmosphere, and more 'gameplay' than one might expect from games like this (more walking around, exploring, interacting, evading, than QTEs, though definitely are QTEs, and that 'controlled animation' thing from).

Completely on-board, going in mostly blind outside of early stuff shown and the bit I played.
QD mixed with a Slasher I can see, but where is the survival horror in this game? seems like 100% Heavy Rain in an Horror variation.

Anyway you made it sound really good :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
QD mixed with a Slasher I can see, but where is the survival horror in this game? seems like 100% Heavy Rain in an Horror variation.

Anyway you made it sound really good :)

While QD games had fixed camera angles, they're more stylized like old horror games in this game, taking angles to ramp up tension. In the demo I played, there's a few scenes I recall where the camera angles were played up to give an angle of horror like these older games. I remember a scene where you're walking towards the camera and as you approach, the camera slowly lowers itself, and when you get close, you see some sort of hand reveal itself creepily, and another scene of seeing a shadow pass by as you're walking. Back-up with this some light puzzles and item collecting (the demo I played had a legitimate locked-door, find the key item and back-track to where the door is to continue scene), and there was a segment where evading a stalker-type enemy came into play with some light stealth mechanics, and the scene played out differently whether you got caught or not.

Leeness

I'm super psyched for this game! :D Can't wait to play it as a "multiplayer" game with a few friends. I think there will be four of us, so two characters each.

As someone who used to live in Alaska: those moose would have charged the fuck out of those kids.

Really looking forward to this though and I'm hoping it's as dynamic as they're hinting at. As much as I enjoyed Heavy Rain and Beyond there are a lot of moments where the reaction to your actions is subdued compared to what you'd expect to happen. Ie, in Beyond
setting the house of fire and terrorizing the teens ends up alright in the end.

LUXURY

Unfortunately you can't region switch your account. You'll need to create a new account in the respective region.

hmm. that isn't that big of a deal i guess. might just get the steelbook. thanks. do you order a lot of region specific discs? recommend any places?

Carl

Yeah i've seen a few really good gameplay sections and played a demo myself, i think i've seen too much of it already. Already know i want it, no point spoiling more of it for myself :)

with this game, mgs V, alienation, nms, soma releasing together within a very close timeframe, i dont know how i'll prioritize my gaming time, not to mention the igc.

shit

GravyButt

Man for some reason I thought this released August 15th and not the 26th. Got even more hyped when I went to preorder but only to be slightly let down. Either way I cannot wait!!

drotahorror

Nothing new here.

But, with all the recent pre-order bonus themes, why does this one not have one? :/
This game was begging for a theme.

GavinUK86

How spoiler-y are those videos? Tempted to watch them but I don't wanna ruin anything.

Very. They're playthroughs.

Looks a bit rough to me, framerate all over the shop. I know it's supposed to be the dumb, cliché horror flick but it looks a bit too obvious for my liking. I was tempted to preorder for the extra mission but I might wait for reviews first.

Very. They're playthroughs.

Looks a bit rough to me, framerate all over the shop. I know it's supposed to be the dumb, cliché horror flick but it looks a bit too obvious for my liking. I was tempted to preorder for the extra mission but I might wait for reviews first.

The framerate is pretty much the only thing worrying me at the moment. Hopefully it isn't the final version of the game and it gets fixed.

Harlequin

Yep, if Heavy Rain can get good reviews, why not this one? It looks pretty on par with Heavy Rain - maybe even better.

After the embarrassing The Order shitstorm, I could imagine that any short, cinematic game will be met with more reviewer criticism now than back when Heavy Rain came out. Though the previews seem to be telling a different story, so who knows.

After the embarrassing The Order shitstorm, I could imagine that any short, cinematic game will be met with more reviewer criticism now than back when Heavy Rain came out. Though the previews seem to be telling a different story, so who knows.

Eh, they're two very different games.

CREMSteve

Any way for Candians to get the bonus chapter? Don't see it listed as a bonus on EB's site and there's no mention of it on Amazon.

Hadn't seen this before.
I like it.

I've never seen this concept before and it seems pretty well done.
It's good that every decision changes so much too because even the little segment where the tower fell repeating already bored me (and this game is supposed to be played through multiple times)

FrsDvl

This game was completely off my radar, then I decided to read through this thread and now I'm hyped. Definitely getting this!

Top Bottom