• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the Scuttlebutt on Until Dawn? Another Order 1886?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QaaQer

No Spoilers plz

Without spoiling anything, is the word of mouth around this game anything like 1886 a few days before release?

I don't want to go into the other threads because I don't want to see trailers and stuff before playing it, but I also don't want to drop $79 canadian on an 1886 type game.

I noticed an Until Dawn dev said that the game will be 9 hours long and I had an 1886 flashback. So I looked up the dev, Supermassivegames, and their history is even less inspiring than RAD's with some move games and a doctor who thing.

Slixshot

Banned
No Spoilers plz

Without spoiling anything, is the word of mouth around this game anything like 1886 a few days before release?

I don't want to go into the other threads because I don't want to see trailers and stuff before playing it, but I also don't want to drop $79 canadian on an 1886 type game.

I noticed an Until Dawn dev said that the game will be 9 hours long and I had an 1886 flashback. So I looked up the dev, Supermassivegames, and their history is even less inspiring than RAD's with some move games and a doctor who thing.

It's kinda like Heavy Rain of this generation ^_^ Just horror driven.

Klyka

Banned
Until Dawn is a "make choices and watch story" game that is supposed to change quite a lot depending on your choices and is supposed to give you a ton of different playthroughs.

The Order is a TPS that is the same every single time.

They have nothing in common apart from "it's a game with 3D graphics"

Until Dawn is a "make choices and watch story" game that is supposed to change quite a lot depending on your choices and is supposed to give you a ton of different playthroughs.

He meant/was asking if the game will be a disappointment like the Order? (I like the Order btw)

And to answer your question, I would say nobody but people reviewing the game knows. What kind of response do you expect from a bunch of people who don't have the game? Just wait for reviews.

QaaQer

He meant/was asking if the game will be a disappointment like the Order? (I like the Order btw)

exactly. Before the order came out, we had a few tweets hinting at the mediocrity. It's kind of hard to be on blackout and still get a sense of the game's potential, maybe it's impossible.

I mean, the developers haven't tried to hide as much as RAD did The Order. That alone should put your mind at ease about any major content issues.

As for the game itself, from what I've glimpsed in the other threads (I'm mostly avoiding them for fear of accidental spoilers), it seems to be pretty damn good. Slasher is singing its praises and that's a good sign as our tastes seem to align more often than not.

OnlySP e3 2015 impressions i found. Cant really find much from people who have the game right now.

The pacing of the game and the movie horror elements that shine throughout Until Dawn make for a unique survival-horror experience that fans will enjoy this August. While control is somewhat limited with the characters the fun puzzles and choices round-out the gameplay for a thrill ride of scares. Even with the cliches that were implemented into the game intentionally, the story is still filled with mystery, and seeing which characters will survive or die a tragic deaths warrants multiple trips through the campaign.
http://www.onlysp.com/dawn-e3-2015-hands-impressions/

Ibuki

Banned
exactly. Before the order came out, we had a few tweets hinting at the mediocrity. It's kind of hard to be on blackout and still get a sense of the game's potential, maybe it's impossible.

We had a lot of controversy about the length at this point in time. Everything I have heard about Until Dawn has matched up with the footage I have seen. I am pretty confident this will be a good game if you like the heavy rain style of adventure gameplay.

DieH@rd

Banned
Totally different genres, gameplay, and approaches to storytelling [serious as fuck alt-history vs fun and crazy B-tier teen slasher with intentionally shitty script], so comparisons are pointless. As for length, 9h is more than fine for a adventure game that is highly "branchable" and replayable.

Wait for reviews.

Replicant

Why don't you read the other thread about the game and stop making an assumption and a thread which smear on the game before it even comes out?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
From what I heard it's classic Resident Evil meets Heavy Rain meets I know what you did last summer...
Which sounds fantastic.

I enjoyed The Order. It was worth the $30 or so I paid for the Collectors Edition. Hard to predict Until Dawn, but based on early impressions it should be fun provided u enjoy narrative driven choose-your-own-adventure type games. If u have doubts, wait until reviews drop and/or pick it up when it drops to $20 in 6 months.

Well it's not trying to be the next AAA exclusive blockbuster, it's just another game that happens to be exclusive, and really it doesn't have hype behind it like other big releases.

It's going to be a niche game that only some folks will like

Replicant

Why so defensive? I didn't get that from the OP at all.

Because I fucking hate the mentality of many posters in here when it comes to narrative-driven games like this one. Shit-flinging is always the auto-reaction. Newsflash to OP: you don't have to buy this kind of game if you don't like it.

Replicant

its a harmless question dude. Don't take it so personal.

I think it's fucking annoying that every time there's a narrative driven game the typical reaction is always "walking simulator", "QTE-fest", "Press X to [insert action]". These kind of shits should be bannable offense.

And what's the point of making another thread when what he wanted to know is perfectly laid out in the other thread that's actually on the same page as this one?

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1097664&page=18

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Buzz in the other thread is very positive. People are saying it pulls off the concept much better than Heavy Rain.

QaaQer

Because I fucking hate the mentality of many posters in here when it comes to narrative-driven games like this one. Shit-flinging is always the auto-reaction. Newsflash to OP: you don't have to buy this kind of game if you don't like it.

maybe lay off the red bull, gunga din.

Cheers for the replies, I'll give it a go as I really enjoyed my time with Heavy Rain.

Considering how half baked and flip floppy reviewers are these days, Until Dawn will likely get great reviews despite being a pretty close comparison to The Order. Main difference being the genre's and Until Dawn is more about QTE's. Has the branching story stuff too.

The Order was not saved by great voice acting and great characters and an interesting story and an awesome environment and awesome weapons and such like that. It all came down to " taking control away from the player " and " too many cutscenes " ( but lets forgive MGS and its 15 minute cutscenes ) and such like that. Made it out to be the worst game ever.

Doubt Until Dawn gets the same narrative.

ViciousDS

Banned

And to answer your question, I would say nobody but people reviewing the game knows. What kind of response do you expect from a bunch of people who don't have the game? Just wait for reviews.

Disappointment is an opinion, ( you liked it, I loved the order ). But until dawn is the perfect drinking party horror movie game that a bunch of people can sit and watch. I think it has great potential for multiple playthroughs and fun.

Cabal

I think it's fucking annoying that every time there's a narrative driven game the typical reaction is always "walking simulator", "QTE-fest", "Press X to [insert action]". These kind of shits should be bannable offense.

And what's the point of making another thread when what he wanted to know is perfectly laid out in the other thread that's actually on the same page as this one?

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1097664&page=18

Did you read the OP? I don't see how what he asked correlates to anything you are saying here. Further he explains clearly why he made the thread instead of looking in the other one. You spouting off about people getting banned isn't adding much to the conversation.

To OP, I've read that it's quite a bit a like heavy rain. Supposedly the story is fun and the choices impact the game enough that people are talking about playing through multiple times. It's not a long game. Someone that watched a lot of horror movies said it was predictable. For me personally, I'll probably pick it up when I have time to play it.

UberTag

About the same length as The Order: 1886 for a single playthrough but boasting far more replayability thanks to the way your every decision in the game shapes the way the narrative unfolds and which characters survive. Everyone could die or everyone can live based on the actions you take.

The game also executes its concept far better than The Order ever did. The Order seemed to want to be a very pretty movie with egregious plot holes that went unaddressed and tacked-on shooting, stealth and adventure sequences that all felt hollow and unfulfilling and were just there so they could sell it as "a game".

Until Dawn knows exactly what it wants to be and is fully interactive in terms of how it plays out. It still has faults when it comes to pacing, the sameness of its gameplay (when QTE action sequences or conversations aren't taking place), a couple of its characters getting shafted in terms of their involvement in the storyline, some suspect content removal just to drive pre-orders and it won't appease people who don't enjoy modern horror movies with cheesy dialogue and stereotypical teen characters but it's about as polished as one could expect from this concept and exceeded my expectations. If anything, I just wanted it to be shorter and to trim a lot of the gameplay out for the "drinking party horror movie game" with player agency concept that ViciousDS called out above. The exploration is counter-intuitive to providing this (hence my pacing criticism).

In terms of Heavy Rain comparisons... I still think I'd give the latter game the edge simply because the context-driven gameplay that was there felt much more involved. I'm not saying we need more games with shaving sequences but I liked all of the little gameplay flourishes in that title. Until Dawn has a very static series of gameplay concepts that it introduces you to early on - conversation paths, QTE responses, holding the controller completely still, shooting and picking items up as clues - almost all of which get introduced in the first 10 minutes. Heavy Rain was always mixing things up and I appreciated that.

Curufinwe

There is another thing they have in common. They're both Sony exclusives.

DevilFox

It's like Heavy Rain, there's not much else you need to know. As far as I know, story doesn'tt ake itself seriously, it's like a concentrate of clichès, but I'm not keeping myself up to date.
As for reception, the attention around this game is low, reason why we don't see those very informative articles such as "why you shouldn't pre order The Order 1886" and similar. For the same reason, it will probably be received better, but not that much.

Replicant

I don't know who pissed in your toasty oats this morning, but thread shitting IS a bannable offense. I suggest you slow your role.

Neither is backseat modding. Didn't stop you anyway.

Maybe stop thread-shitting. Newsflash to you: you don't have to enter this kind of thread if you don't like it.

I entered the thread because of the annoyingly shit title thread which implies that this game is anything like Order 1886 when it clearly isn't even in the same genre and others in other thread have said that it's actually good.

Did you read the OP? I don't see how what he asked correlates to anything you are saying here. Further he explains clearly why he made the thread instead of looking in the other one.

His headline isn't exactly sounding like he wanted an opinion but more like he wanted to draw comparison to another game that was heavily trashed by gamers. If his intention was to purely gain opinion, he'd have stopped at the first line in the thread title.

hwy_61

Banned
Neither is backseat modding. Didn't stop you anyway.

I entered the thread because of the annoyingly shit title thread which implies that this game is anything like Order 1886 when it clearly isn't even in the same genre and others in other thread have said that it's actually good.

His headline isn't exactly sounding like he wanted an opinion but more like he wanted to draw comparison to another game that was heavily trashed by gamers. If his intention was to purely gain opinion, he'd have stopped at the first line in the thread title.

I mean, you could just say, hey check out this other thread where your questions are being answered, instead being a supreme dick about it. There's no need for that.

I got this today! I also got a shirt.

Been playing for about five hours now. Embargo is on me, but let me say that this is the most innovative, in-depth, awesome and scary cinematic survival horror experiece yet. Stupidly great writing and acting. Just wow. Part cheesy, part serious and always cliche in a brilliant way.

I'm betting this a GOTY for many.

I'm going to mirror these thoughts. Granted I need to finish my first playthrough in order to see how different things can be. That said... they nailed the horror movie vibe. Is it part slasher flick? Part spiritual? Part Saw? Holy shit I don't know. I just know I'm dying to play more and I'm still left wondering,how the fuck am I going to change THAT outcome. Also my wife and I had the biggest fucking jump scare in a long time. You folks with headphones are gonna shit your pants, have an extra pair ready lol

The writing is very good and very clever.

Just finished it and... wow.

It's something quite extraordinary. It's like reinventing the wheel and putting it on fire. I'm actually quite speechles. Need to revisit some of the things tomorrow.

LiS and UD are completely different beasts even though both are "cinematic experiences". UD wiped everything clean, this is how you make these games. And I still love LiS.

Sorry for the tease guys. I'm eagerly waiting for Monday to see what other people have to say about it. I can't wait to clear my head on this one.

I wish I could talk about this game. I just finished it this morning and can't stop thinking about it.

Tricky I Shadow said:
More impressions from my friend:

* The atmosphere is truly great. It's one of the most atmospheric games he's played in a long time.
* The game will make you jump....a lot!
* The soundtrack is really solid. It sets the mood wonderfully.
* The story is deeper than it looks.
* Choices actually matter. The game does it miles better than Beyond.
* They nailed the balance between cheesiness and seriousness almost perfectly.
* I asked him for a quick score and he told me a solid 9/10.

I'm about 2/3rds through the game and it's really solid.

If you're a Life is Strange/Heavy Rain/Beyond/Telltale fan and want a version of one of those with high production values set in the horror genre, you won't be disappointed; Same if the idea of an interactive movie that actually works sounds cool to you. In both of those cases, Until Dawn's at least an 8/10.

Most of the time, the game is more atmospheric/tense than scary and I can see reviewers criticizing it for being a Walking Simulator+QTE-Fest ("Until Yawn" lol, 6/10), but I don't think that's fair. There are 8 characters and the game's around 7-10 hours long, of course the pacing/kill count will be different from a 2 hour movie.

imo, the game is a success. I want to replay episodes because choices actually do matter, the story is not as simplistic as I would have thought, the characters grow on you over time and the presentation is top notch.

And +1 for "OT: I know what you'll play this summer"

Until Dawn is no way dumb. It's actually very clever in all its cliched stereotypes, but it goes way way deeper than that, really deep.

Sure, if you only play, let's say, the first 4-5 episodes, you'll get that all familiar slasher vibe. It's fun to read (the reviews) who has played it through and who has not. It will be really obvious who's cheating in their review.

3 hours in and man I'm intrigued, defo some weird stuff going on in the back, seemed like just a typical slasher but not quite. Presentation is really nice, graphics, atmosphere, voice acting and audio, camera work all top notch.

I'm usually not moved by jump scares but some got me real good. And there's quite a bunch of them. They really nailed the horror part.

As the rest mentioned UD is in the same league as Heavy Rain/Beyond maybe even better imo though it might be too soon to judge. If those games work for you definitely give this one a try.

Just finished. Whoa. And damn it nooooooooo! Back to trying to change some outcomes.

Just finished my first playthrough. Took me 9-10 hours, found about 80% of the clues, not talking about number of survivors.

general/vague STORY SPOILERS:
The story is more ambitious then I thought going in, there's like 5 different kinds of horror movies in there, slasher-movie being just one of them. Some ideas worked better than others, I didn't enjoy all of the story but it came together in a pretty satisfying way at the end. Other then the gameplay, the story will be the most polarizing part of Until Dawn.
Overall, a very good experience if you enjoy these kinds of games and like horror.

edit: compared to similar games, I'd say: LiS (if the last episode is as good as the rest) > Until Dawn = Heavy Rain >>> Beyond. Until Dawn was a solid 8/10 for me, but review scores will probably be all over the place.

Just finished, what a ride! Rolling credits now but I'll post more after I digest everything. Took me 7.5 hours and this included getting about 80% of the collectibles, thought they're not really out of the way so searching for them didn't really add any significant extra time to my playthrough.

Game is dripping with atmosphere and tension. This is extremely well-written, acted, and produced. I'm also excited to do another playthrough because I want to see how the scenarios change depending on who you save. I had one character die literally at the end that almost made me quit the gane before it autosaved, but I let it go and I'll replay it to correct my mistakes!

Alright, here's my review. To understand where I'm coming from, you might need to know four things about me:

1. I like a wide range of games (Uncharted 1, 2, TLOU, the Batman: Arkham series, Mirror's Edge, and Ori and the Blind Forest are some of my recent favorites) and I play almost anything except RPGs and fighting games. But of all the types of games I play, linear, story-driven games are my favorite.

2. I loved Heavy Rain despite its awkward use of language ("wasteland" being the example that quickly comes to mind) and any other flaws people had with it. It's one of my 10 favorite games of all-time.

3. I hate (yes, hate) horror/scary games and movies. I avoid them at all costs.

4. I'm not sensitive in any way to frame rate. In fact, I can almost never tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps.

So, knowing the above things, here's my review:

I really loved Until Dawn. I barely knew anything about it before I played it at PSX in December, and once I did I immediately knew I was going to buy it no matter what the reviews said. This type of game is right up my alley even though the horror genre is something I avoid at all costs. That's the best praise I can give it. Even though I hate the horror genre, I couldn't stop playing. Did I play with my hand in front of my face and miss a few button prompts because of it? You're goddamn right I did. But it's a testament to the quality of this game that even though I hate the genre it's in, I couldn't stop playing.

With this type of game, it's all about writing, acting, and production values, because there is no combat or "traditional" game mechanics. Everything in this game feels like it has a high level of polish to it. The cheesy scenes are intentionally cheesy and well-done. I was concerned that they would come off like Alex's relationship with Lara in Tomb Raider (2013), but it is handled much better than that and as a result, I actually cared about the decisions I was making with all of the characters.

As far as gameplay goes, it plays similarly to Heavy Rain, with QTEs and short multi-button presses required to open doors and examine objects. One thing I really liked is that the time they give you to press the right button is basically perfect--just enough time to get it right but you'll barely make it, which increases the tension. There's also parts where you can't move the controller, not even a freaking millimeter, which is super tense and basically resulted in me holding my breath just like the character I was controlling on the screen. I already experienced this from the PSX demo but it's really fantastic and enough can't be said about it.

Also, there's some leeway with the button presses in that if you miss one it's not insta-death, which is nice and different from how Tomb Raider or Heavy Rain handled it sometimes.

Now, for some criticisms:

"I know it kina depends on the choices you make, but does the game have a strong/satisfying ending? A simple yes or no will do me."

I'll use this question to start off my main complaint of the game: the actual ending is super short, almost nonexistent. There is a lot of tension/build-up to the ending, which is awesome, but then it literally just ends. I don't even think this is because I had so many characters dead by the end, I think the game ends the same way even if everyone survives. I'll test this in my second playthrough and report back.

Another thing that bothered me is the nature of the terror/"reveal". Not being a fan of the horror genre (meaning I don't have a lot of history knowing how these stories play out), I still thought the "reveal" was cliché and has been seen too many times in games I've played. That's saying something from someone who's not a fan of this genre. It's quite possible the "reveal" has been shown in trailers already released, but I've avoided all media aside from the demo I played at PSX. To be fair, this game was trying to mimic the campy/cliché vibe, so the cliché "reveal" is probably intentional, but it still bothered me to have it happen this way. It's a small complaint though as the game is still scary/campy, which is more important than the "reveal".

My only other complaint is that the preorder scene really does screw with the flow of the first part of the game. Since 25% of the characters are cut in the first 25% of the game, those two characters don't grab a hold of you as much as the rest of the cast and as a result, I felt less connected to them to start the game. This is made up over time, but it's still something that should have been avoided at all costs because your feelings for each character sets the foundation for the story and how attached you are to it.

Conclusion

Is Until Dawn worth playing? Absolutely. It knows exactly what it's trying to be and never strays from that line or even attempts to tiptoe it. It achieves what it set out to do. Each character is given adequate representation in the game so you are always vested in whichever character you're playing as, and every scene in the game is always supporting something else, whether it be atmosphere, tension, or characters. Nothing is wasted or overstays its welcome.

Is it worth $60? For most people, probably not. I say this because from what I understand about the average gamer, most people will only play this once, if they finish it at all.

But if you are interested in seeing how your choices shape the story in different ways, there are at least three total playthroughs you will get out of this: one with every character surviving, one with every character dying, and one with a mix, which will undoubtedly be most people's first playthrough. So if you want to do multiple playthroughs, it's absolutely worth $60. And similar to Heavy Rain, your choices have a dramatic impact on the story.

I can't think of a single choice that doesn't have a consequence. It's crazy, things that I literally put no thought into turned out to be game-changers due to the butterfly effect. In the menu it tells you exactly how your choice effected something else. It's fascinating and I've never seen anything like it.

Now maybe different choices can lead to the same initial outcome, but it's not fake because they affect other things eventually.

Your welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom