• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Req System Introduction (Text & Video Guide)

AYF 001

I like this video. Pretty sure this was designed to be a tool we can just link to people who try to derail threads by asking the same 3 questions about warzone and req packs every time MP gets mentioned.

Starfield

I want Mtn. Dew and Doritos skins for my Scorpion

The system sounds exactly like BF4 battlepacks, which im fine with

PooBone

It doesn't sound awful in theory. The fact that you can buy REQ packs with real cash means there's the potential that these packs don't unlock at the desired rate to persuade you to spend. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm honestly coming to this game 90% for the campaign.

I just can't get hyped for this game.

Leyasu

Banned
Is it release day yet? I'm struggling to get into TTK knowing that this is on the horizon.
One of the reasons I aint bought the TTK is because this game is coming.

After the beta, I know that this game will take every second of my gaming time for the foreseable future.

Trup1aya

It doesn't sound awful in theory. The fact that you can buy REQ packs with real cash means there's the potential that these packs don't unlock at the desired rate to persuade you to spend. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm honestly coming to this game 90% for the campaign.

I just can't get hyped for this game.

You get packs at the end of literally every MP match... Arena or Warzone... It doesn't sound like the unlock rate will really be an issue...

Some people (like me) enjoy earning things... Others just want immediate gratification... This sounds like a great way to cater to both, without destroying balance.

M52B28

Banned
This game looks great. I'm going to have to read up on what Warzone is since I've forgotten what it is, but what I'm seeing looks great.

PooBone

You get packs at the end of literally every MP match... Arena or Warzone... It doesn't sound like the unlock rate will really be an issue...

Some people (like me) enjoy earning things... Others just want immediate gratification... This sounds like a great way to cater to both, without destroying balance.

Sure, sure. We'll see how it goes. I'm just saying the potential is there. Look at MGS5 and the way resources dry up at a certain point unless you want to spend real world money to push yourself over the hump quickly.

Montresor

Sure, sure. We'll see how it goes. I'm just saying the potential is there. Look at MGS5 and the way resources dry up at a certain point unless you want to spend real world money to push yourself over the hump quickly.

The difference is that Konami is completely abandoning hardcore/AAA/traditional gaming, and Microsoft shows no signs of abandoning that market any time soon. This video basically says "Shut up" to a fictional Spartan that says "But what if the unlock rate is slow, what if I'm impatient, how will this affect balance". That's not to say there DEFINITELY won't be issues. But I think releasing a video like that, with such tongue-in-cheek fictional dialogue probably means they're confident their system is going to be more than fair.

Haha, i loved the video and how they used Mister Cheif. I was hoping they would have used Stinkles voice instead. :p

like Stinkles doing a voice-over of how he thinks the Mister chief would sound like. haha

Anyway, i gotta check out those avies someone gracisouly captured for us!

ON TOPIC: I'm curious to know what the audio icon is on the SMG card.

smg-silencer-6a1fdad8bef546928e58dbaa8580c1eb.png

NM it says it in the image description when hosting the image (smg-silencer...).
I'm super excited to see the armor and animation variants! AH MAN this is exciting!!!!!!!

I like the cosmetic stuff, no problem with that at all. Earning some crazy assassination animation is a great idea.

What I don't like is the idea of someone paying to get a one time use power weapon or vehicle in Warzone. It is what it is. Considering I doubt Warzone will be taken incredibly seriously from a competitive standpoint - it's not the end of the world... Just a little gross.

Points for Mister Chief though. I remember printing out that little constructible paper one you put in the BWU ages ago.

Warzone is in no way competitive nor is it designed to be. I mean there's AI bosses. BTB and Arena fill that purpose.

Chorazin

I'm actually 100% ok with all this. Doesn't seem offensive, as long as they don't have constant popups asking us to buy more packs.

Glass

Talking exclusively about the design of the cards themselves, the only thing I don't like is the rather plain and drab border - its just grey. Magic, Hearthstone, even Gwent all have a strong design and look to them. These cards (and that's how I think of them, virtual equivalents of the aforementioned) are rather too clean and drab.

see5harp

Warzone is in no way competitive nor is it designed to be. I mean there's AI bosses. BTB and Arena fill that purpose.

The fact that there's AI enemies on the map doesn't mean the mode can't be competitive. Like any MOBA or shooter the energy or points awarded will be weighted. You may not want to play the mode but saying it's not designed for competitive play is silly. It's a multiplayer mode where two teams are trying to win.

PooBone

The difference is that Konami is completely abandoning hardcore/AAA/traditional gaming, and Microsoft shows no signs of abandoning that market any time soon. This video basically says "Shut up" to a fictional Spartan that says "But what if the unlock rate is slow, what if I'm impatient, how will this affect balance". That's not to say there DEFINITELY won't be issues. But I think releasing a video like that, with such tongue-in-cheek fictional dialogue probably means they're confident their system is going to be more than fair.

That only tells me they're good at marketing. Not a shock.

I hope you're right and have reasonable faith that it will be done in a tasteful way for the majority of players that don't want to put more money into the multiplayer. But then I thought Halo 4 looked good and like a worthy sequel to Halo. Nothing is guaranteed.

Aeqvitas

This looks fantastic, can't wait to jump into warzone.

I hope they make some sort of compendium to help boost the pro scene that has unique cosmetic rewards and stuff. Also love that this system replaces map packs, no more fragmented community! 343 is showing a lot of promise with this release.

Nialrot

I just want a card that turns off assassination animations.

Everything else looks neat and I expect Warzone to be crazy after a couple weeks/months when people have had time to start gathering REQ packs.

see5harp

That only tells me they're good at marketing. Not a shock.

I hope you're right and have reasonable faith that it will be done in a tasteful way for the majority of players that don't want to put more money into the multiplayer. But then I thought Halo 4 looked good and like a worthy sequel to Halo. Nothing is guaranteed.

This is a multiplayer mode that many players will avoid altogether. The single player game is completely unaffected by the existence of req packs.

Everything else looks neat and I expect Warzone to be crazy after a couple weeks/months when people have had time to start gathering REQ packs.

You can turn off asassinations entirely in your control scheme I believe.

If you don't want to assassinate, don't hold the melee button down and just tap it. Maybe they will have something special for those who can't control their button pressing and want super quick animations so something like these;

But maybe they will be turned around so you're kicking their back. Maybe 1/10th of the amount of time versus the default animations.

EDIT: Oh i didnt know you can turn off that completely in the settings. NICE

Trup1aya

Even if a game doesn't have microtransactions, the 'potential' is there for it to be overly grindy, or poorly paced...

You're right, like with anything ever, we won't know for sure what it's like until we get our hands on it. But based on the information we have now, it sounds like it shouldn't be an issue.

Leyasu

Banned
But sometimes an assassination just rubs that salt in a little bit more.

I'll probably keep them activated.

It's fact that the assassination system didn't always do, what you wanted to do. It would do an assassination pretty often, even if you just tapped the button. This argument doesn't work here.

Wow, this is awesome and much appreciated.

:( i didnt know it didnt work as intended for a lot of people. Worked okay for me.

Oh a rainbowed colored spartan. Or how about a spartan that has stars sprinkle around him like sonic does when he gets that power up? Or a spartan with a Halo around his head. Like a small one.

Akai__

:( i didnt know it didnt work as intended for a lot of people. Worked okay for me.

Didn't want to sound agressive there. :p

It always gave me a hard time, especially in important moments. Which is why I and many others on HaloGAF wished for a toggle. It's pretty awesome that 343i listens to feedback, even for these seemingly unimportant things.

RIP Forge. 2007-2014.

What makes you think it's dead? They said they will talk about it Soon™.

Leyasu

Banned
There's no way Forge is dead, they said they'll be announcing more details about it in the coming weeks
Even though I no longer have time for forge, a system where you could choose different terrains as your blank canvas. A snowy landscape etc or like an enclosed urbn area would be cool.

Madness

RIP Forge. 2007-2014.

They only said we couldn't Forge for Warzone, and I'm assuming it's because of the scripted AI, and ridiculously large levels that NEED req stations and bases in a certain area, whilst maintaining 60fps.

But we played on forged maps in the beta. It exists and they've said they'll talk about it closer to launch. Who knows, maybe with the insistence of making the game 60fps and dedicated servers all the time, they had to switch up how they approached Forge?

Sai

I've never triggered an Assassination when I didn't want one, and I played plenty of Reach. Was that some kind of glitch I just missed? Or was that by design?

Top Bottom