• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate: Video game sites debate how buggy it is relative to Unity

chadskin

If you read our Unity preview last year, you may experience a moment of deja vu here, but once again the most worrying problem with this Assassin’s Creed is its performance issues. If the preview build we played is any indication of how the retail version will run (and going by past experience, it is) then Ubisoft’s flagship series is in danger of suffering another devastating blow to its reputation. If it’s not going to be technically solid out of the box, it needs to be delayed, for as long as it takes, until it’s noticeably smooth, and an obvious, vast improvement on Unity.
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/assassins_creed_syndicate/preview-3945.html

Ouch.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
As things stand, I fear they have a way to go before that’s the case. Gameplay footage provided to us by Ubisoft – which you can see below – is apparently from the same build we played last week, but does appear to run at a smoother frame rate

Wait what?! So they might be misleading people with b-roll footage? That'd be fucked if true and I absolutely do not support that. Last year, the b-roll footage was very clearly not smooth, it showed the issues that were in the game like the framerate drops.

wildfire

Banned

WEll there it is.

So how bad is it.

There's demonstrable input lag. It looks great, as long as you're not moving too much.

This is actually a deal breaker for me. Why would I play any game if it stresses me out. Sometimes input lag can be tolerated if it is consistent and thus can be accounted for. But at some point a big enough input lag is going to be too much for me. I stop playing games with erratic input lag. I definitely wouldn't buy this game if that is present throughout its lifetime.

Reading the review he clearly managed to get by so the state of the game should vary from person to person. Anyway this isn't acceptable from Ubisoft.

Amir0x

Banned
Man, how far we have fallen. I used to be so excited when Assassin's Creed games would come out. Last time I let myself get hyped was ACIII.

And now I don't buy Ubisoft games at all since the Unity fiasco last year, was the last straw. Not until they apologize to gamers sincerely, and change the practices. It's stupid at this point.

Euron

I can't believe I gave Ubi the benefit of the doubt after the Unity fiasco. Ubisoft, either fix your engine or use a different one, reboot the series, and for fucks sake give AC a break for a year. The franchise is going to die off if you keep heading in this direction.

ironcreed

Banned
Love that magic zipline:

instax8ybq.gif

I foresee many funny glitches with this mechanic. Invisible line, stuck in mid-air with disappearing facial features, the whole nine yards.

Wait what?! So they might be misleading people with b-roll footage? That'd be fucked if true and I absolutely do not support that. Last year, the b-roll footage was very clearly not smooth, it showed the issues that were in the game like the framerate drops.

That's what Ubisoft always does ;)

tilomite!

This would kill thier already shrinking rep. Just delay it and get it right. The world can wait for the next Ass Creed.

gatti-man

Is it fun though? Unity was a huge step back in the fun department for me. Didn't even finish it and it wasn't the technical issues that drove me away.

TM94

Looks like Unity 1.5 so I wasn't interested in picking it up anyway.

Sucks for the people who really love the franchise though, that is if these claims prove to be true when it's released of course.

Love that magic zipline:

instax8ybq.gif

I foresee many funny glitches with this mechanic. Invisible line, stuck in mid-air with disappearing facial features, the whole nine yards.

What's going on here? Is it some tool that he shoots out that allows him to be able to do that or is it just a glitch where the existing line just pops into place out of nowhere?

Amir0x

Banned
oh wow an Assassin's Creed with tech problems how is this possible

There are "tech problems", and then there are TECH PROBLEMS ala Unity. Not every AC game has been as utterly shit as Unity was at launch, not even close. If you need evidence of that, look toward Ubisoft's unprecedented response to the complaints.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So now multiple sites report the game runs perfectly fine, at least on PS4?
Other gaffers have said that the game runs relatively smooth as well. And this dude was allowed to upload 26 minutes of uncut footage. which is running fine. Wtf is going on with this preview event.

Love that magic zipline:

instax8ybq.gif

If you're gonna post glitches at least post glitches of the footage we got today. :/

Loudninja

Eurogamer seems to think it improved
So, Syndicate faces an uphill battle to regain player confidence when it launches this November. The silver lining from last year is that Ubisoft gained plenty of feedback on how it needed to improve and, happily, from the sections of Syndicate we played it feels like this has to some extent filtered through. It's clear that Syndicate is an Assassin's Creed game, but it's also clear that another year of technical knowledge and fine-tuning for the game's engine has produced a far better and more stable result. In the early build we played, Syndicate ran smoothly at all times.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...arned-from-unitys-mistakes-but-is-that-enough

iNvid02

maybe jim was watching it on a TV won from bullseye. the eurogamer preview is quite the opposite

It's clear that Syndicate is an Assassin's Creed game, but it's also clear that another year of technical knowledge and fine-tuning for the game's engine has produced a far better and more stable result. In the early build we played, Syndicate ran smoothly at all times.

need a few more sources to see the general consensus

What's going on here? Is it some tool that he shoots out that allows him to be able to do that or is it just a glitch where the existing line just pops into place out of nowhere?
You can see when the line snap back into views, and there's a bunch of the line behind the character. So it doesn't look like a tool, it seems to just be glitching out of visibility. Which is kind of ridiculous if a traversal feature isn't visible.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Haha of course it was going to be AC, here I thought ubisoft would be more careful about this when they've got people still reeling from Unity's disastrous launch performance. But I suppose not, I guess they expect their customers to buy the game anyways or be too ignorant to even know it's a problem.

The sad thing is I full expect the fans to defend this and say "it's fine as long as the game is fine" without realizing the impact this has on the industry standards as a whole.

On an unrelated note: It really bothers me when people use "this a la that" phrasing for some reason. It comes off as very english 101 to me. Like that one kid who learned how to use thus and starts covering his paper in it.

killroy87

It would be straight up baffling if Ubi released Syndicate in a similar state to Unity. Even if this game isn't rock solid on a design level, they need to make sure it works well to save face. I hope, for their sake, they delay it if that's what it takes. Their confidence can't blind them to the fact that customers are pretty savvy about the whole "fool me once..." thing.

Cess007

Is it fun though? Unity was a huge step back in the fun department for me. Didn't even finish it and it wasn't the technical issues that drove me away.

This is what actually worries me. As someone who didn't play AC for a long time, my first entry to the serie was AC4, and it was actually fun. But, i'm just playing AC Unity and man it's boring :/

More than technical issues, it's the fun factor that worries me :(

Really shameful to make fun of someone just because he doesn't share your opinion, especially when he always provides argument for his opinion.

Guy's alright. He presents valid arguments for a series he loves. Been seeing this bullshit in a few threads so thought I'd bring it up. It's not okay at all.

scitek

Yeah, they're gonna find the choppiest, least appealing footage they can to promote their game with.

TM94

If this is true I think it's the end of the series as we know it.

It needs a reboot anyway.

Nah game will sell well, got the Victorian London angle going on and it's a mainstream franchise.

Critically, it'll likely hit around where Unity scored.

I personally do think it needs to go away for a few years though.

kevin1025

Banned
This kind of news is going to seriously hurt the game, especially with the issues of Unity from last year. It's unfortunate, too, since this one looks a lot of fun. I'm holding out hope!

Amir0x

Banned

Oohhh, this is setting up quite the showdown in the game journalism circles. If Videogamer is right and these other outlets are wrong, someone is reasonably going to ask how people whose job it is to catch these things consistently failed to.

If Videogamer is wrong, it'll start to seem like they were pushing FUD. I can't remember, weren't they like on some weird reflexive negativity campaign on Sunset Overdrive and got annoyed when they were like the odd man out on their view of the game?

Top Bottom