• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate: Video game sites debate how buggy it is relative to Unity

Elginer

I truly hope it's in much better shape than Unity. I have been looking forward to this for a while as a huge AC fan. Unity was shit last year. Truly fucking terrible and I tried several times to get through it but it was a broken glitchy and boring game. It was beautiful at times but it was a game that simply wasn't complete and devoid of character -- especially after how great Black Flag was.

Eager to see these conflicting reports get sorted out as to what's accurate and what isn't. As usual, regular player impressions will paint a better picture.

Also:

Crossing Eden about to have a long day,

He has already received the talking points memo.

Short answer: Playing games at consistent 20-25fps is totally acceptable!
Long answer: I have a great gaming level PC and brute forced AC Unity to decency, I'll do the same thing for Syndicate!

He's gotta gather the previews from other outlets that say it's fine. Give him a few moments to check in with HQ.

Is this some kind of permissible bully tactic? I see a lot of these unprovoked posts pop up in AC threads. Amir0x even constructed a nice straw man.

GHG

Gold Member

Hexa

But they will. Of course, it'll sell millions, but those numbers will go back with Syndicate.

Yeah. With the yearly releases, what matters most is hype and how well the previous game did. Syndicate is failing on both so I'm guessing it'll take a hit. But if its good the next one should be back on track. If its bad... well... they have Watch Dogs.

Luq

Other gaffers have said that the game runs relatively smooth as well. And this dude was allowed to upload 26 minutes of uncut footage. which is running fine. Wtf is going on with this preview event.

If you're gonna post glitches at least post glitches of the footage we got today. :/

Can confirm - game looks pretty ugly tbh, had some technical issues, but none of them were gamebreaking... One guy next to me, crashed the game after couple of minutes but after restart everything was going pretty normal

woen

The more interesting in the previews is how the gameplay changed for the worse and how the new ideas don't fit well in the game (like the cars and the grappling)

The technical problems are an issue but this is only the surface of the issues of the game. And what would be interesting is how it happened. Or it's just going to be one of the many "Make the same jokes about Ubisoft and insult them" (boring) threads we have since one year and a half.

Another year, another broken AC game.

Fuck this series man, I won't even pick it up on sale.

Change your avatar or get serious plz, at least AC:Unity was not forced to be taken out from the stores

image.php

Loakum

Banned
So that thread regarding broken games this holiday season was right.

Fucking Ubisoft. And I loved and supported them with my molah throughout Ezio's timeline (II, Brohood, Revel)... Special editions and shit.

same here.
EKuqoqW.jpg

...but for our loyalty we get treated to..."rigorous quality is of paramount importance to us."

mSDAro1.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I can't imagine an AC game having MORE input lag. It's already the most unsatisfying and frustrating game in the world to control. And I say this as someone who generally enjoy the series.

prudislav

there are very conflicting previews - some are insanely negativistic like Videogamer one and some are quite positive like EG one ... kinda confused here :-/

Menome

Oohhh, this is setting up quite the showdown in the game journalism circles. If Videogamer is right and these other outlets are wrong, someone is reasonably going to ask how people whose job it is to catch these things consistently failed to.

If Videogamer is wrong, it'll start to seem like they were pushing FUD. I can't remember, weren't they like on some weird reflexive negativity campaign on Sunset Overdrive and got annoyed when they were like the odd man out on their view of the game?

Split opinions at the office in the podcasts afterwards. The reviewer and a couple of others thought it deserved the 6/10, others thought it deserved to be a couple of points higher after they'd played it.

It was communities like here that got annoyed, because people who liked the game couldn't comprehend other people not liking the game. Basically, the usual post-release nonsense we see with every other fairly big game.

Unless something changes, that is how the game's zipline mechanic works. Rather than shooting it and then anchoring the line, you just jump and presto! Out of thin air a line that is anchored behind you and at the destination.

154_150802131125_1.gif

This is really bizarre. Watching the Videogamer footage shows that it does appear that your character shoots something out to form the line, but the line itself doesn't appear until your character jumps off and grabs it.

You can see the line shortly after the initial shot to form it
vlcsnap-2015-09-24-11bkx4f.png

But then it completely disappears
vlcsnap-2015-09-24-110oyf0.png

vlcsnap-2015-09-24-11h6zjd.png

And then just pops up again once Evie grabs it
vlcsnap-2015-09-24-11dqxti.png

It doesn't seem like it'd be something hard to fix before launch. But it's definitely something that should be because it's very jarring.

Change your avatar or get serious plz, at least AC:Unity was not forced to be taken out from the stores

image.php
Haha, I've been incredibly vocal about my anger over the Arkham Knight PC situation and I filed complaints and received my refund, at least the console versions were functional unlike Unity.

Plus, a Batman avatar doesn't advocate the one instance of a broken game found in the series.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Kill3r7

They need to go back to ACIV and built from there. For all its pretty graphics and next gen crowds, Unity was an obvious misstep and they should start anew. The series really needs a break/reboot. We are only a few game releases away from the series reaching a modern timeline.

That said, I wish them all the best. Hopefully, they can fix all these issues before launch.

Ralemont

not me
im expecting something better than unity but still frustrating now. shame since this was the first AC i wanted on release, but i'd do myself a disservice not to wait.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So you're saying b-roll footage IS representative of the end product?
I have half a mind to assume that everyone else was allowed to record their own footage. So many people have their own footage up. ._. That's what confusing me.

Can confirm - game looks pretty ugly tbh, had some technical issues, but none of them were gamebreaking... One guy next to me, crashed the game after couple of minutes but after restart everything was going pretty normal
Did you ask about resolution? This guy claims it's 1080p and "silky smooth" That question extends to anyone who played it btw. I'm genuinely curious about in depth impressions.

ironcreed

Banned
there are very conflicting previews - some are insanely negativistic like Videogamer one and some are quite positive like EG one ... kinda confused here :-/

Sounds like previews alright. Unfortunately, gamers normally find out the worst of it after the game is out. But then, previews are also just that. Only slices of a game that cannot paint the whole picture. Yet when you have conflicting reports, it is pretty easy to come to the conclusion that there are indeed some issues. How bad remains to be seen.

They need to go back to ACIV and built from there. For all its pretty graphics and next gen crowds, Unity was an obvious misstep and they should start anew. The series really needs a break/reboot. We are only a few game releases away from the series reaching a modern timeline.

That said, I wish them all the best. Hopefully, they can fix all these issues before launch.

giphy.gif

A pirate game sure, I'd be all for that but the assassin parts of ACIV were atrocious. Even compared to AC3.

ironcreed

Banned
This is really bizarre. Watching the Videogamer footage shows that it does appear that your character shoots something out to form the line, but the line itself doesn't appear until your character jumps off and grabs it.

You can see the line shortly after the initial shot to form it

*pics*

It doesn't seem like it'd be something hard to fix before launch. But it's definitely something that should be because it's very jarring.

Jarring indeed. From day one the game on the whole has just looked

giphy.gif

to me.

Why should Ubisoft push for more quality when people keep buying the games in droves?
Pretty much. Anyone buying an Assassin's Creed game at this point gets what they deserve. It's like going to a restaurant, finding a band-aid in your food, and then going back to that restaurant the week after. You know what you're getting into.

Really shameful to make fun of someone just because he doesn't share your opinion, especially when he always provides argument for his opinion.

I feel bad for Crossing Eden. Its practically internet bullying at this point.

I don't even know what to believe regarding this game at the moment. It's not like I was going to buy it day one, but I'll just wait and reserve my judgement till launch. I'm still having a hard time believing its as bad as Unity was at launch.

Best wishes.

FStop7

Banned
Is Unity fully fixed now, at least technically speaking? I bought an Xbox One last holiday that came with codes for Unity and Black Flag. Black Flag was pretty good but I was so let down by all of the bad news about Unity that I didn't even play it. AC set in revolutionary France was supposed to be the highlight of the series.

AC2 and Brotherhood are two of my favorite games from last gen. AC3 is probably my most hated. I can't believe how hard the series fell off.

dreamfall

I think from the Videogamer preview, it is apparent that those waiting for some major gameplay mechnics overhaul aren't going to find it. It looks to be more of the same, especially with the Unity Engine. I really enjoyed Unity, but I also played it months after the patches had arrived because I couldn't stand any of the mobile chest busywork or the bugged chests. The framerate definitely suffered with all the NPCs crowding about, so I wonder how this game will fare.

I'm excited- that preview footage looked like more of the same, but I enjoy it. I think play as Evie most of the game, until story missions force me to switch. The combat looks a bit more frenetic, but it should be neat. The technical issues I hope don't plague the game from launch but we shall see.

Wagram

This is why I don't buy Assassin's Creed titles at launch. They obviously don't care about their customers (mainly management) and want to ship it out to hit the date.

It's strange how Unity was dragged over hot coals for it's bugs last xmas, but Witcher 3 will probably win GOTY this year when it was just as bad for just as long a period of time.

It's an Assassin's Creed game, and it's not even a numbered one at that. Were you expecting a work of art?

Oddly enough, the good AC game isn't numbered. I assume that was a fluke.

x-Lundz-x

I thought you could play as Evie for everything except certain main missions where Jacob is required?

I was under the impression that at some points during the game you could flip to her but those were limited. If they have changed it to where you can play most of the game with her that would be great.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I think people are putting a ridiculous amount of expectations on this game. Unity had obvious issues, but that didn't stop people from both purchasing and enjoying the game. Now apparently Syndicate needs to be leagues better than what would be expected out of other developers if they hope to live to see another day. Which is nonsense. If for no other reason than the game is going to sell and sell well.

Luq

I have half a mind to assume that everyone else was allowed to record their own footage. So many people have their own footage up. ._. That's what confusing me.

Did you ask about resolution? This guy claims it's 1080p and "silky smooth" That question extends to anyone who played it btw. I'm genuinely curious about in depth impressions.

Honestly, I've talked with game director for sth like 20 minutes but all my questions were focused on game design and the direction that series is following. Didn't ask about graphics at all, but well... game was far from "silky smooth". When I was watching someone else playing though - it looked much better (and "smoothier) than on my TV which is pretty weird since everyone played on PS4. I've mentioned it in my preview if anyone is concerned (soz it's in polish).

Top Bottom