• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is there a button you can hold down to go into erase mode, similar to copy mode? I thought I saw them doing that on the GiantBomb stream but I wasn't sure how

Is there a button you can hold down to go into erase mode, similar to copy mode? I thought I saw them doing that on the GiantBomb stream but I wasn't sure how

Hold two triggers on a side, like L+ZL.

My question, is there a button to start you right where you're at? There's the touch screen button, but for some reason that feels like it's out of the way when I'm ready to play. Select starts you at the very beginning.

jholmes

So two weeks after release, I finally tried the 100-Mario challenge to see what all the fuss was about. In spite of putting dozens of hours into playing other people's stages (mostly punching in codes from here and other sites), the word of mouth about 100-Mario's rather scrappy reputation, especially on Expert, put me off trying it at all until some of the dust had cleared from the initial rush.

Played an Expert run today and thought: hmm, not too bad. Courses a bit rough, and here are some of the elements people talked about—starting too close to a bottomless pit, screenfuls of springs upon springs, unintuitive blind jumps, a troll stage where you couldn't trust the coins and had to mind your head around invisible blocks—but everything was more or less playable, 1UPs were generous enough to keep things rolling, and I pushed through 11 courses to completion, only skipping one (a swim through a maze of spikes full of tight corners... no thanks).

Not as bad as I expected! I even found a diamond in the rough: a Metroidvania of sorts with some interesting alternate routes and sequence breaks, some intended, others probably not. Not the best Metroid-alike I've seen in Super Mario Maker, but a really solid effort, and at the time I was actually the first player to clear it even though it was posted nearly a week ago. The randomizer paid its dues. For those interested, it's at 993E-0000-004B-DE75.

Then I hit the wall. Course after course of the worst nonsense. Bullshit far as the eye can see. I put in an honest effort to pass some of the courses that at least looked like designs, like one where you had to spin jump on Thwomps the whole way through the stage, and spent my life count all the way down from about 70 total. Honest effort, skip; honest effort, skip.

I didn't finish: by the end I was stuck on 12/16. I swiped away from a dozen consecutive courses. Good golly, what a nightmare.

You have to be relentless when you realize the level isn't a real level, or at least not worth your time. Proving you can beat it accomplishes nothing because it only encourages other people to make the same mistake.

Also, when you see lakitu, try to abuse the cloud to beat the stage. Most of those BS stages aren't built by someone savvy enough to stop the cloud from breaking the stage, and you usually get an easy 1-up out of it from the flagpole.

L+ZL or R+ZR

Edit: Beaten like a rented mule! OK I'll just link my new stage again and act like this was all according to plan:

Showdown with Red Baron Rocky

WVW69ia6MrgS-5Vg_4

2845-0000-0069-6686

New level I just made. "Power Up!"

I am thinking my other levels may be a little tough as the completion rate is pretty low, so I made this one fairly easy - medium difficulty. Let me know what you think.

8CB6-0000-006A-8281

Just finished this one. Probably pretty easy if you're any good at Mario games. I had fun making it and playing through it. Any comments are appreciated.

Bowser Jr. visits Lava Hills!

B1C2-0000-006A-9269

Anyone who plays and would like me to try out a level of theirs please let me know!

Nia

After many days of trial and error, I have finally completed my 2nd stage. The development of this one pushed me much harder than the 1st one, as I ended up butting heads with the game's mechanics many times. However I pulled off what I wanted to do. Here is the code:

v6uE1pv.jpg

Airship Infiltration

9E19-0000-006A-82BA

Utilizing an Arwing, Mario must infiltrate a massive Airship under the command of an unknown captain in Bowser's army.

This stage originally had a secret area, but the time limit didn't allow for comfortable exploration of it, so I made the secret area into another stage, which I will upload at a later date. That stage will have a secret area of it's own. Of course, this stage still has secrets and easter eggs of it's own. To those who played my first stage, Torvus Bog, see if you can catch the reference to it. I hope everyone enjoys it.

After many days of trial and error, I have finally completed my 2nd stage. The development of this one pushed me much harder than the 1st one, as I ended up butting heads with the game's mechanics many times. However I pulled off what I wanted to do. Here is the code:

v6uE1pv.jpg

Airship Infiltration

9E19-0000-006A-82BA

Utilizing an Arwing, Mario must infiltrate a massive Airship under the command of an unknown captain in Bowser's army.

This stage originally had a secret area, but the time limit didn't allow for comfortable exploration of it, so I made the secret area into another stage, which I will upload at a later date. That stage will have a secret area of it's own. Of course, this stage still has secrets and easter eggs of it's own. To those who played my first stage, Torvus Bog, see if you can catch the reference to it. I hope everyone enjoys it.

I got my ass kicked and gave up lol, but I like your level and I really liked the aesthetic. And holy shit, Arwing's run and climbing animations made me laugh out loud.

I work a lot better with a specific goal in mind. I can't brainstorm for shit. Someone blurt out the first game mechanic that comes to mind and I'll whip up a level centered around it before I go to bed tonight.

Here's my first and only level so far, btw. It sucks, but for a first attempt it's not too bad, I guess. I hope to improve over time :p

WVW69iauUYoqf4w1JA

No-Loiter Lane

CEA7-0000-0065-EFBA

You'd better scurry. Don't wanna stick around too long...

B_Bech

I have all these stars and no one to give them to. You guys have any stages you want tested? Quote this post and I'll play whichever codes you jot down, proceed to give em' the old college try, star them (unless it's offensively bad) and then I'll give you some detailed feedback.

If you'd like to check out any of my levels in the process...
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/B_Bech/posts

Be my guest. I'm taking a break from my intense puzzle stages to make traditional "easy" Mario stages with a Nintendo-minded philosophy.

First of which: "Tapioca Trail - 1" C51B-0000-006A-91E1. Aiming for a difficulty sweet spot between Vanilla Dome and Donut Plains for that particular stage. Should be fairly easy and hopefully Super Mario World-esque.

I work a lot better with a specific goal in mind. I can't brainstorm for shit. Someone blurt out the first game mechanic that comes to mind and I'll whip up a level centered around it before I go to bed tonight.

An endless scrolling level/ skull coaster with multiple paths that requires the right doors and pipes to finish correctly. Subtle hints point the player in the right direction.

An endless scrolling level/ skull coaster with multiple paths that requires the right doors and pipes to finish correctly. Subtle hints point the player in the right direction.

AH SHIT

that's my least favorite kind of Mario level...

FUCK IT IMMA DO IT

I like the level you posted btw :p

EDIT: Don't have the parts for a skull coaster :( Next time, though.

Is there a way to move the start of the level backward? One of my levels throws your right into the main design element, and I'd like a little more breathing room beforehand. I know you can more the goal forward, but can you do the same (opposite) thing to the start?

braves01

Banned
I have all these stars and no one to give them to. You guys have any stages you want tested? Quote this post and I'll play whichever codes you jot down, proceed to give em' the old college try, star them (unless it's offensively bad) and then I'll give you some detailed feedback.

Be my guest. I'm taking a break from my intense puzzle stages to make traditional "easy" Mario stages with a Nintendo-minded philosophy.

First of which: "Tapioca Trail - 1" C51B-0000-006A-91E1. Aiming for a difficulty sweet spot between Vanilla Dome and Donut Plains for that particular stage. Should be fairly easy and hopefully Super Mario World-esque.

I'd like some stars, please. I think tomorrow night I'll do this too sonce I've been meaning to play more gaf levels.

New "challenge" level based around spin jumps I made. It's fair and there's a part you can kinda cheese, but I think it turned out all right for now.

0879-0000-006A-7425

WVW69ia9SKABllFs__

kiryogi

Banned

I would love more stars!

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab.! (D914-0000-0064-2FBD)

Remember, arrows bad!

jholmes

2845-0000-0069-6686

It's new so I haven't heard any feedback at all yet, really sort of curious how it's received.

Is there a way to "unstar" a level? Accidentally just starred the worst level.

No but I suggest you go back in, find the part of the level that was the most offensive and honestly critique it mid-stage so the comment is there for all to see mid-play. You've already given it a star so why not?

Just finished this one. Probably pretty easy if you're any good at Mario games. I had fun making it and playing through it. Any comments are appreciated.

Bowser Jr. visits Lava Hills!

B1C2-0000-006A-9269

Anyone who plays and would like me to try out a level of theirs please let me know!

Would you play mine quoted above? Could use a star and will send one your way.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hmm, reaching ten stages uploaded and only having 23 stars hurts.

I would appreciate any thoughts on these, as well as stars of course.
Ghost Ride In The Sky: 892A-0000-0068-2096
A Yoshi Romps, A Door Resets: 0502-0000-005A-D3A2

This one is just a silly one my daughter is proud of (she's been helping me make all of my stages), so more views of that would make her happy.
Yoshi Wins By a Nose Race: 5C40-0000-005E-FB88

Okay, so I decided to make one more version of Boo's Plumbing Nightmare.

A lot of thought and work went into this clearly and it shows. Much appreciated for making it, perhaps the first Ghost maze I've honestly really liked.

Finished me another one last night. Nothing super fancy, just wanted to take a go at a tank/airship level.

WVW69iayZUY0CU5RmY

The Front Lines
392B-0000-0067-603E

Good fun, in a classic 3 Air Ship kind of way. Nothing difficult, but kept me on my toes wondering what came.

I don't think you needed the falling platform section near the end, as it didn't fit the rest of the theme, but it was interesting to see all the same. Gave me a couple of ideas.

Finally made a new level that I think is actually worth sharing here.

Snake Platform!
B59E-0000-0069-6FDA

liked that there wasn't much to it beyond the core idea, nothing to distract me like a lot of other snake moving platform stages do. Good work.

Here's my Donkey Kong Jr. remake. Tried to keep it feeling as faithful as I could to the original game, except with a twist on the final stage (since there is nothing that could quite replicate the "keys on vines" mechanic of the original).

Monty Kong Jr.
ID 95BE-0000-003E-1136

If you enjoy that, try out my other level

While not perfect for the concept, you could put a P block at the top of a platform, with a Thwomp at the top that only slams down when you have climbed as high as possible. Make it so a Bowser will fall to his doom.

Closest I can think of to making Mario/DK Jr climb to the top for an action.

It's simply an idea that needs more fleshing out, but here is roughly what I was thinking.
Ghost is just there to slow someone down so that the timer will end and blocks/coins return to normal before using the second one.

23C5-0000-006A-9EAF

B_Bech

AH SHIT

that's my least favorite kind of Mario level...

FUCK IT IMMA DO IT

I like the level you posted btw :p

EDIT: Don't have the parts for a skull coaster :( Next time, though.

They say the best way to improve your skills is to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. Thus the nature of my prompt. Okay, getting to your stages now guys. I'll give you my feedback post haste. I'm still accepting more codes, so keep em' coming.

I'd love it if I could get your opinion on the levels I posted earlier on this page.

Finished up my World 4 Courses tonight if anyone wants to give them a shot.

Pesca 4-1
(C110-0000-0063-1BCC)
Pesca 4-2
(7005-0000-0063-541C)
Pesca 4-3
(B577-0000-0068-6D32)
Pesca 4-4
(8451-0000-006A-67A0)

Uhh, sorry about the names. I'm trying to go with a full game worth of courses with increasing difficulty.

I played your Mysterious Castle Dracula stage and loved it. I'm gonna have to give your Aperture Science Stage a shot.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's funny how this game is giving me an actual appreciation of NSMB now. And Jarosh's Chthulu level is pretty hilarious.

I actually bought a Wii U specifically for this game, if you can believe it. This thing had a powerful grip on me apparently.

It's funny how this game is giving me an actual appreciation of NSMB now. And Jarosh's Chthulu level is pretty hilarious.

I actually bought a Wii U specifically for this game, if you can believe it. This thing had a powerful grip on me apparently.

If this game makes you appreciate it, I really hope you get a chance to try out NSMBU or NSLU. They get a bad rap online but they're honestly very good games, well designed, good secrets, challenging at times.

Ooccoo

I'd lose my shit if Nintendo released a Donkey Kong Country Maker (with classic monsters). They probably can't and will probably not, but man would I buy that in a heartbeat. The level design is harder to replicate though, but still more feasible than say Metroid IMO.

DrLazy

Does anyone know of SMW enemies that Big Mario can't defeat (without a shell) but that Fireflower Mario can, and that respawn/reappear if you leave the area and come back?

Both Piranha Plants and Spinies (aka spike beetles) have failed the test, so I'm hoping there's some other alternative that I'm missing.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who can come up with a solution to this little problem (if one exists)!

Large Bowser? Not sure about big boo

BooJoh

If this game makes you appreciate it, I really hope you get a chance to try out NSMBU or NSLU. They get a bad rap online but they're honestly very good games, well designed, good secrets, challenging at times.

I feel the same way about NSMB2. If you accept the fact that reaching 1mil coins is likely not going to happen and is pretty pointless, then I feel like the game itself stands pretty well, and the fact that there's no couch co-op means the return of levels that scroll both horizontally and vertically thanks to the return of Raccoon Mario.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

The NSMBU + NSLU combo disc is the definitive NSMB game. Pick it up if you can. Pretty sure it's only been sold as a console pack-in until now but people earlier in the thread said that Nintendo may reprint it for standalone release as well.

NSMBW is very good as well, but it's a little redundant if you already have NSMBU.

I feel the same way about NSMB2. If you accept the fact that reaching 1mil coins is likely not going to happen and is pretty pointless, then I feel like the game itself stands pretty well, and the fact that there's no couch co-op means the return of levels that scroll both horizontally and vertically thanks to the return of Raccoon Mario.

NSMB2 felt like the "least necessary major Mario game ever."

Coin Rush redeemed it for me, though.

B_Bech

I'd like some stars, please. I think tomorrow night I'll do this too sonce I've been meaning to play more gaf levels.

Loved it, but it was very easy to cheat by stealing the pswitch. I basically won, but I died at the very end. Womp womp. I'll finish it later. The start was a bit tedious, so maybe add a bit more spinies to the track?

I would love more stars!

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab.! (D914-0000-0064-2FBD)

Remember, arrows bad!

This is a kaizo level. I liked it, and I rarely like troll levels. I got to the part with the clown car and got stuck. Motion sickness, I guess. I think this level is meant to be hard, so in that regard it works. I was able to cheat my way past that spring. I think this level is something I'll have to clear time for. It doesn't seem impossible and the more I learned it, the easier I was flying by things that seemed cheap before. I think the enemy placement was great to keep up the pressure.

2845-0000-0069-6686

It's new so I haven't heard any feedback at all yet, really sort of curious how it's received.

A very solid level! I'm fond of rockies myself. I think the stage was a bit bland at times, I think if you added some coins and some blocks you would spice things up. When you are going with singular enemy theme for a level, it helps to add variation in other ways. You should try my steampunk series. (4 stages) I use Rocky Wrenches in a TON of ways. Great stage though. It's got a good difficulty.

Would you play mine quoted above? Could use a star and will send one your way.

Liked this stage as well. It's a bit on the short side, but it felt fitting for the SMW theme. I never saw Bowser Jr in that theme until now, and I'm absolutely in love with it. I think it got a bit busy at the end, so my advice it try to make things more focused and clean.

Doing the next stages guys, sorry for the delay. The second stage took me a long time.

Neki

v6uE1pv.jpg

Airship Infiltration

9E19-0000-006A-82BA

Cool map, there is a point of no return though, the area where you spawn Bowser or. You can jump up there and be stuck forever. I like the ice as windows but they do obstruct jumping space. There are also things that don't thematically fit like the random music block or all that stuff just randomly under the ship. Otherwise it was nicely designed and pleasing to the eye, difficulty was medium to me. I liked the bombing but don't overuse it, it was very finicky at the first area you had to use it. Great job though!

Neki

Finished me another one last night. Nothing super fancy, just wanted to take a go at a tank/airship level.

WVW69iayZUY0CU5RmY

The Front Lines
392B-0000-0067-603E

Solid airship level, not overly hard and very fair. Also liked the tank and ship designs, though what was the point of the falling u blocks at the end of every vehicle? Also the bonus area or secret area didn't really fit the rest of the map, otherwise I liked it

Edit: sorry didn't mean to double post

jholmes

A very solid level! I'm fond of rockies myself. I think the stage was a bit bland at times, I think if you added some coins and some blocks you would spice things up. When you are going with singular enemy theme for a level, it helps to add variation in other ways. You should try my steampunk series. (4 stages) I use Rocky Wrenches in a TON of ways. Great stage though. It's got a good difficulty.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I saw your Miiverse comment, and I'm a bit of a Peanuts nut so when I came up with a concept of a sort of biplane duel in a stage -- that's not exactly how the stage plays out of course, there's just no way in Mario Maker to force that sort of confrontation -- my mind went to Snoopy and the Red Baron. I kept trying to think of a better title but the Red Baron bit stuck. I do like the idea of a Rocky Wrench styling himself after a WWI fighter pilot though.

RagnarokX

I had to play this after seeing other people comment on how good it is and it really is a brilliantly designed level. Really I have no comments on how it can be improved it's just chock full of great design.

The password system was very clever. I was trying to figure out a way to create a checkpoint for a level I was going to create but you went above and beyond what I was thinking to be able to code in a way that is only for the people who make it that far.
I wish I could take credit for the passcode system, but I borrowed the idea from this reddit user: https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/3lueed/how_to_create_a_code_based_checkpoint/. Everything else is mine, though, and I'm happy you enjoyed it :D

I did improve the design a bit, so let me explain it.

GIY6yXw.png

This is the way I have it set up. This setup is unique to this passcode, so to change the passcode you have to change the tracks.

BuOqNir.png

Basically, each lava lift deposits a movable item into a stack. If you activate the lifts in the wrong order the stack will get ruined. This seems complicated but it's actually pretty simple. To put it simply:

You want there to be 2 tracks that lead to the stack; a lower track and an upper track. The lower track should approach the stack from the side at the bottom and only the first input in the code should go on this track. The item that this sends here needs to be a sideways trampoline so that if it is triggered out of order it will knock the stack out of place and render the code invalid.

The other 3 inputs need to send their items to the upper track, the one that turns black in my example. This will deposit items on top of the first sideways trampoline.

The 2nd input needs to be a pow block because things can stack on top of it and it won't bounce anything.

The 3rd input needs to be a shell helmet.

The 4th input needs to be a second sideways trampoline.

The parts of the tracks that I don't use are vestigile from the original design, but could be used for other code combinations for getting the items to their respective tracks in the correct order.

When done correctly the items will form a stack like this:
gOMLTPgl.jpg

The last input will send a sideways trampoline into the stack from above and bounce the shell helmet off of the one way walls to the right and into the brick block on the left holding the p-switch, which will fall to the player below and open the gate:
d9FVYPNl.jpg

The way it's set up the correct code is the only code that will work. If the first input is anything but first the trampoline will collide with the bottom of the stack and knock it over. If the the shell helmet needs to be at the top of the stack to reach the brick block. If the 2nd input was a sideways trampoline then the 2nd and 4th inputs would be interchangeable. If the pow block is triggered last instead it will just destroy the stack.

So thus the only code that will work here in this particular setup is

If you change the passcode and are having trouble getting the items to stack properly, you can always put a one way wall on the left side of the stack. As long as the sideways trampoline hits it from the bottom it should still destroy the stack in activated out of order.

Neki

2845-0000-0069-6686

No but I suggest you go back in, find the part of the level that was the most offensive and honestly critique it mid-stage so the comment is there for all to see mid-play. You've already given it a star so why not?

I played your level, was a very relaxing stroll through an airship. The platforming itself was very light and enemies were sparse, and only one power up. Maybe add a platform for the second clown car area, the only way I could kill the boss reliably was a wall jump, unless that's what you want, fun map though liked the secret areas.

Anyone want to try out my level? I would love some feedback on if it's too difficult or if the concept works or not.

Tried something different with a "horde mode" where you have to survive 90 seconds.

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/1093/can-you-survive-for-90-seconds

Interesting concept that can be expanded, only problem was the lack of a progress curve in enemies and difficulty, and all I did was shoot fireballs. I also accidentally died from spin jumping.

You should look at the KOOPARENA series for dynamic spawning. Map was fun though.

https://m.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/3m7w5x/i_built_an_automated_battle_arena_with_5/

jholmes

Maybe add a platform for the second clown car area, the only way I could kill the boss reliably was a wall jump, unless that's what you want, fun map though liked the secret areas.

The boss fight was sort of a tough nut to crack. You put up a platform in the middle and suddenly he's really easy to beat. As it stands he's surprisingly tough for just a dude in a clown car, but that's sort of the idea -- I wanted that fight to be the main event.

There actually is a second power-up before the boss in a secret block. I thought the placement was super obvious but both you and The Flash, in his stream, missed it, so I might have to consider how obvious that placement was. Still, there's really only so many enemies between the first mushroom and the boss, and I didn't want people feeling too powerful going into the boss fight.

Thanks for playing! Glad you had fun.

Nia

Cool map, there is a point of no return though, the area where you spawn Bowser or. You can jump up there and be stuck forever. I like the ice as windows but they do obstruct jumping space. There are also things that don't thematically fit like the random music block or all that stuff just randomly under the ship. Otherwise it was nicely designed and pleasing to the eye, difficulty was medium to me. I liked the bombing but don't overuse it, it was very finicky at the first area you had to use it. Great job though!

Yeah, I am aware of the point of no return. I originally lowered the platforms to lower the likelihood of people jumping up there, but I think I'll just remove them all together. I'll do something about the ice, which is actually supposed to be a TV. The music block was a joke with the beetle listening to music, since the middle of the ship is the recreation center. I could remove the sound effect I guess.

As for the bottom of the ship, it's a final gauntlet in the maintenance level as Mario tries to escape, with the POW block starting the destruction of the ship. I guess I could change it up somehow, but that would require some thinking. Do you have any suggestions for making the bomb part better?

Neki

Yeah, I am aware of the point of no return. I originally lowered the platforms to lower the likelihood of people jumping up there, but I think I'll just remove them all together. I'll do something about the ice, which is actually supposed to be a TV. The music block was a joke with the beetle listening to music, since the middle of the ship is the recreation center. I could remove the sound effect I guess.

As for the bottom of the ship, it's a final gauntlet in the maintenance level as Mario tries to escape, with the POW block starting the destruction of the ship. I guess I could change it up somehow, but that would require some thinking. Do you have any suggestions for making the bomb part better?

I think you can leave the bottom part, it's fine, it did seem like you were destroying the ship, but why was all those people down there lol. The bomb part is also gonna be finicky in the older games unless you can pick them up. There is just little room to work with at the bombing of the entrance, maybe make the platform go higher a little or extend the cliff? Honestly once you learn how to kick it just as the platform comes up it works, but it just takes getting used to. I'm just picky.

WVW69ia-tZwOUedG-u

Second course uploaded, and not as brutal and unforgiving as my first upload.

Fun map, the ice really added some cool elements and the runs through thowmps falling behind you was fun. The only jump I thought was unfair was the blind jump to the pipe, maybe add coins to guide the player? I really couldn't explore the latiku area since I was afraid of losing my cloud. Map was well designed though, the sense of danger you create when there really isn't adds tension to an otherwise boring running area.

Top Bottom