• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 35.9 million sold through to end users

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Microsoft disappointed with their reveal and weaker power and initial DRM. Pushed a lot of 360 fanboys to the other side this gen. I was one of them.

So SonyGAF is really 360GAF?

VNSL2Yc.gif

"It was me all along!"

Heimbeck

Banned
Maybe the potential (but objectively smaller) sales gained by putting something on Xbox One is not enough to offset the cost and manpower to do so.

There are reasons beyond "how many consoles have sold?" that play a role when devs are deciding where to release their games.

I realize that, I still think saying if it were harder to develop for there wouldn't be as many games on it is not entirely true.

I realize that, I still think saying "if it were harder to develop for there wouldn't be as many games on it" is not entirely true.
(I added quotes) If I'm understanding your reasoning, how do you reckon the PS3? Plenty of developers specifically said "Cell is too hard" and "PSN is too jankity" which led to games missing the PS3 or being the inferior version on the PS3.

At the end of the day, a videogame is a product just like everything else, and developers have business concerns to bear in mind. When one console is easier/cheaper to develop for and the other one is harder/more expensive, it will always play a role in deciding where a game ends up. There are certainly other factors that play a role, of course.

Dizzy

Banned
I hope all the "no games" talk in this thread is just sarcasm and not salt. Pretty sad otherwise...

Anyway great for Sony. It's good to see the consoles do well.

Heimbeck

Banned
(I added quotes) If I'm understanding your reasoning, how do you reckon the PS3? Plenty of developers specifically said "Cell is too hard" and "PSN is too jankity" which led to games missing the PS3 or being the inferior version on the PS3.

At the end of the day, a videogame is a product just like everything else, and developers have business concerns to bear in mind. When one console is easier/cheaper to develop for and the other one is harder/more expensive, it will always play a role in deciding where a game ends up. There are certainly other factors that play a role, of course.

Inferior games for sure, but no major games went missing on PS3.
I'm not saying it wouldn't having any effect but it seems like the Xbox One is missing games anyway from the weaker position they have and bad policies

Raist

Banned
I don't remember a recent AMD statement

EA revised their forecast several times, went like this:
50M by March 16 (in May 15)
Then by the end of 15:
49M (July 15)
50-51M (Mid Nov)
52-53M (early Dec)

joecanada

Oh boy, that thread is funny as hell now

lol

Ladies and gentlemen I give you

JABEE

1. Sony
Sony takes the successes they have had late in the console cycle and the investments they made in New IPs and thrive. Their online infrastructure will be even more improved than it is at the end of this year. Sony will continue to not charge for online and launch at the same time as Durango. Microsoft's focus on advertisements and monetizing features that are free on every other set top box will have them linger behind a world wide selling system in the PS4

2. Microsoft
Microsoft will focus on improving online feature in their device so that their vision of the window into the living room will come to fruition. Microsoft will make decisions that improve 720 as an entertainment hub, that will harm it as a gaming device. Monetization of features through the rising cost of Xbox Live will make Microsoft a lot of money, but will prevent the system from being a runaway success. Microsoft's lack of diversity in studios will leave Microsoft at the whims of 3rd party publishers. Parity with the other next gen console is crucial.

3. Nintendo
Nintendo's WiiU console will be a success in Japan, but it's successes elsewhere will not reach the level of the Wii and fall behind the other two console manufacturers. Nintendo's WiiU tablet will splinter install base and cause developers to shy away from porting PS3 and 360 games to their system during the 2 year window that PS3 and 360 third party development will still be receiving non-sports titles. Nintendo will come strong out of the gate in the United States and Europe, but will only continue it's successes in Japan following the establishment of the two other two next gen systems.

not bad, not bad, this is literally one of the first close ones I could find , post number 168!!

should be a prize for this

Inferior games for sure, but no major games went missing on PS3.
I'm not saying it wouldn't having any effect but it seems like the Xbox One is missing games anyway from the weaker position they have and bad policies
There are a few I can think of (at least, until they were ported in the 2nd half of the gen):

Mass Effect
Bioshock
Dead Rising

This particular chapter of gaming history was forgotten because -- after all -- it was the PS3 that was supposedly "losing all of its exclusives", not the other way around. So no one really paid any mind once 360 started to lose former exclusives.

Setting that aside, it sounds like we're saying the same thing two different ways.

Welfare

I could have sworn the its around or north of 18 million I'm sure Welfare will come in at some point :p

It really depends on if you think the Xbox One is dead outside of the US/UK or not.

12 countries in 2013 combined sold ~1183k.

Of those 12 countries, 3 of them that we know of (UK, France, and Germany) experienced similar increases from 2013 to 2014 compared to the US, with the US 2014 increasing by a factor of 140%, France 130%, Germany 131%, and the UK being higher than all 3 of those, but what number can only be guessed.

Let's assume 1,000,000 Xbox One's were sold in the UK during 2014 (~800k was sold by the end of November, an additional ~200k in December isn't unbelievable, and we have data that only 300k PS4+Xbox One's were sold in the first 5 months of 2015 (bringing the total between the two to 3.7m), and the PS4 only being slightly above 2 million (~2.1m, so really, the Xbox One would be at ~1.6m at that point, and if only 1m Xbox One's were sold in 2014, bringing the total to 1364k, then the Xbox would have sold ~240k of the 300k sold in the first half of 2015, which makes no sense because the PS4 is the better selling of the 2, so in reality, only 1m in 2014 is a lowball).

Guessing sales of the other 9 countries to only doing double (this should balance out any outliers of underperformers/over performers compared to the increases of the 4 countries above) of what they did in 2013 (the total of those being ~593k) in total, the original 12 countries sold somewhere around 2.7 million Xbox Ones alone in 2014.

2.7m from 2014 + the 1183k from 2013 + the 6190k that was sold in the US by the end of 2014 = ~10.1m

This is just in the first 13 countries by 2014.

2015 is a bit tricker because 1. We don't have full data, and 2. Well we just don't have full data.

The Xbox One is going to pass 11m units in just the US by the end of 2015, by how much, we don't know yet. Just a flat 11m means the Xbox One sold an additional 4810k in 2015, bringing that number to ~14.9m

Assuming a flat year for the other 12 countries (lowballing), that means the Xbox One is at ~17.6m units sold to consumers at the end of 2015 in just a total of the 13 out of 40+ countries it is in.

Adding Japan brings it to ~17.66m

If we assume 2015 was a worse year for the other 12 countries (going as low as -10%), the Xbox One is at ~17.4m

It's north of 18 million when adding in every other country it launched in unless every country besides the US underperformed heavily in 2015.

TI82

Banned
Remember when people said console/gaming in general was dying when the Wii U bombed (and to a lesser extent the 3DS under performed)?

lol

Conduit

Banned
Well damn Sony.

All in all, I feel bad for those who have limited taste and blame the lack of first party exclusive (but ironically won't acknowledge that their lack of taste is really the problem with the output) on third party partnerships.

Imo, Sony has done a great job in not just giving AAA but giving (what they do best) diversed experiences. Everything doesn't have to be an AAA and everything doesn't have to be the small bit but they have done a good job in at least trying to fit in everything for the lack of their big showing which is coming out for this year.

On top of that, I liked that they recognized that for some, it is disappointing compared to other years but at the same time, keeping close with partners to make sure all content that is being released.. Is done at least to a higher degree whether that be graphically, technically and giving those resources for that.

Congrats I guess.

Until Dawn, The Order, MLB 15 and Bloodborne are AAA games. So?

EDIT : Sorry! I read your post wrong somehow.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
If that's true, then it's probably something like

PS4 - 36 million
Xbox One - 17 million
Wii U - 11 million

Wii U was at 10.73m shipped by end of September, and even if that's shipped, there is no way is only 11m right now.

That said, last year AMD said that PS4 + XB1 shipments were < 30m, but at the end, PS4 was at 19.9m and XB1 was over 10m back in starting November ( no way MS shipped only another 100k since that lol), so i don't think you should get so much into that.

If i should say my estimate:

PS4 - 36m
XB1 - 18m
WIU - 12m

EDIT: Sorry, they said at first < 30m shipped, but then they said those numbers were sold, i missed that part.

Heimbeck

Banned
There are a few I can think of (at least, until they were ported in the 2nd half of the gen):

Mass Effect
Bioshock
Dead Rising

This particular chapter of gaming history was forgotten because -- after all -- it was the PS3 that was supposedly "losing all of its exclusives", not the other way around. So no one really paid any mind once 360 started to lose former exclusives.

Setting that aside, it sounds like we're saying the same thing two different ways.

I thought MS paid for those to be exclusive though?
They certainly did with Mass Effect so I wouldn't really say that counts.

Purest 78

Forza Horizon changing its name to (say) "Racing Horizon" isn't really going to change the (in my opinion, great) quality of spinoff series so I personally couldn't care less.

But anyway, overall, it's pretty clear that marketing deals for third party games are helping current gen console sales more than true exclusives at this point.

3rd party deals/better multiplats helped 360 last gen. If it was about highly rated exclusives Ps3 won that easily imo.

joecanada

Wii U was at 10.73m shipped by end of September, and even if that's shipped, there is no way is only 11m right now.

That said, last year AMD said that PS4 + XB1 shipments were < 30m, but at the end, PS4 was at 19.9m and XB1 was over 10m back in starting November ( no way MS shipped only another 100k since that lol), so i don't think you should get so much into that.

If i should say my estimate:

PS4 - 36m
XB1 - 18m
WIU - 12m

3:1.5:1 , that's pretty tidy estimate. round numbers only here.

EGM1966

Ladies and gentlemen I give you

JABEE

1. Sony
Sony takes the successes they have had late in the console cycle and the investments they made in New IPs and thrive. Their online infrastructure will be even more improved than it is at the end of this year. Sony will continue to not charge for online and launch at the same time as Durango. Microsoft's focus on advertisements and monetizing features that are free on every other set top box will have them linger behind a world wide selling system in the PS4

2. Microsoft
Microsoft will focus on improving online feature in their device so that their vision of the window into the living room will come to fruition. Microsoft will make decisions that improve 720 as an entertainment hub, that will harm it as a gaming device. Monetization of features through the rising cost of Xbox Live will make Microsoft a lot of money, but will prevent the system from being a runaway success. Microsoft's lack of diversity in studios will leave Microsoft at the whims of 3rd party publishers. Parity with the other next gen console is crucial.

3. Nintendo
Nintendo's WiiU console will be a success in Japan, but it's successes elsewhere will not reach the level of the Wii and fall behind the other two console manufacturers. Nintendo's WiiU tablet will splinter install base and cause developers to shy away from porting PS3 and 360 games to their system during the 2 year window that PS3 and 360 third party development will still be receiving non-sports titles. Nintendo will come strong out of the gate in the United States and Europe, but will only continue it's successes in Japan following the establishment of the two other two next gen systems.

not bad, not bad, this is literally one of the first close ones I could find , post number 168!!

should be a prize for this
Damn apart from Sony charging for online that's real close.

Pity they did charge. If they hadn't and PS4 was same success (or even larger) it might have been a chance to lose the fee for online for consoles.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Speaking of MLB: The Show...didn't anyone find it odd that we have gotten extremely little info on the game compared to previous entries? Or have I missed a press rollout?

Mass Effect
Bioshock
Dead Rising

I thought MS paid for those to be exclusive though?
They certainly did with Mass Effect so I wouldn't really say that counts.

In addition to those games there was Ace Combat 6, Katamari (PS3 eventually received a title), Lost Planet, FEAR (were 360 exclusive for close to a year, and PS3 port was ass) and I'm sure there are several others I'm forgetting. There were stacks of titles in 2006/2007, and a lot of them weren't moneyhats.

I think Microsoft just beat them to the party with launching a year earlier but also approaching developers and providing them with great development tools. The first couple of years were fantastic for the 360.

bman94

Rocket league being on steam don't mean much .
A game don't have to be exclusive to push systems .
The RL PS user base is huge people could be buying PS4s to play with famliy and friends.
Also Sony has the Japaneses games on lock down unless you not going counting them because they on PC .
The more games on a system exclusive or not is a selling point that can tip someone over and Sony has the most on console .

Rocket League was over a million sales on steam in August, how does that not mean much? And Value's frequent sales are just going make that number go higher. And just because a console has more games doesn't mean its the better gaming system. The Wii had a ton of games but also a ton of crap. The PS2 even had its share of bad games in a large library. I guess I should have been more clear. When I side with people who say PS4 has no games, I'm referring to unique gaming experiences that can only be playing on Playstation 4.

Maybe I'm just wrong in my assumption that people buy Nintendo consoles mostly for Nintendo games, Microsoft consoles mostly for Xbox games and Sony consoles mostly for Playstation games. I bought my Wii U for its set of exclusive games. The third party games was just the added benefit. I boughy my Xbox One for its set of exclusive games. The third party games was just the added benefit. I've never owned a Sony console before so I don't have any experiences with Sony's brand but If I owned a Playstation 2 instead of a Xbox all those years ago then I'd plan on getting a Playstation 4 for when its big exclusives release.

Funny how you think at least 1 million in sale is good for an established racing brand. but it's Knack and Killzone is relegated to the forgotten zone. Incidentally Knack sold almost 1.5M and Killzone over 2M.

1 Million in 4 months is not bad at all. Also I said at least since I don't have any sales numbers. Also Forza 5 was the fastest selling game in the series with a 1/3 adoption rate at the time of the article. Again not bad at all. And nobody knows if these numbers are factoring in Xbox 360 sales or not.

Knack was a pack in game at one point in Japan so that may influence on those numbers.Both Killzone & Knack were forgettable critically. Each of the Forza games were critically praised higher than Knack and Killzone Shadow Fall. And Killzone Shadow Fall recieving lower scores than its predecessor doesn't help it be remembered much either.

Remember that the ps3 launched a year (and in some countries 1.5 years) after the 360 and at a very high launch price, was hard to code for and had a lot of negative press.

Some how it clawed its way back in to the fight and that is a testament the brand name, WW presence and continued support until the very end. heck they are still releasing games for the ps3 now. The years leading up to the launch of ps4 and xbox 1 the Sony kept dropping first party games (the last of us drop real late in the cycle) and 360 waned. I know many friends who went back to PS nation just because of that. I had plenty of friends who were forced to buy 360 to play games cause Ps3 took so long to launch.

While i agree if MS didn't drop the ball at launch this would be a little different but I still think PS4 would be in the lead by a decent margin.

But you realize how much damage control Sony had to do from a botched launch just to catch up and still be in third place. Microsoft is going through damage control now with the Xbox One because of a botched launch. Lucky for Microsoft that Nintendo had an even bigger botched launch so that they don't even have to worry about them for competition. The Wii had a very successful launch but everybody knows the quality of software died down quickly but it's launch is what got it to where it finished. Just like the Wii had a successful launch, the PS4 had a successful launch. Last generation the 360 had a rocky start with Red Rings of Death and some questionable launch titles and you already listed the reasons why the PS3 had a rough launch. Nintendo not only had a gimmick but were also lucky that it's competitors had some questionable decisions during the launch of their systems.

And Microsoft's first party titles didn't wane. Forza Horizon & Halo 4 was 2012, Forza Motorsport 5, State of Decay & Gears of War: Judgement was 2013 and theres a few other cross gen titles that Microsoft did as well after the release of the Xbox One.

That's a flawed way of looking at things IMO. And it seems like you are just showing your preference for MS exclusives. You mention Sunset Overdrive as a standout title for X1, still being talked about among fans, but not Infamous, which had similar critical reception, likely sold more, and had a standalone DLC release. MLB baseball is another group of people PS4 exclusively talks to. You are just cherry picking man.Even Killzone pushed console sales because at launch, it was a nice graphical showpiece, it doesn't matter how small that group was, all software that sells, has some sort of appeal to someone.

PS4 has the most of these smaller games to play btw, If we're bring up B/C there's options there to play a bunch of stuff on PSnow and PS2 classics are going to get regularly updated, but lets ignore those, because b/c is simply not a factor for what I would say is the majority of console owners. There are simply more games on PS4 period. It's the library itself that's attractive, not individual games. Indy support and Japanese support are both stronger on PS4, and the trend is not as even as you claim when you keep saying "all of these platforms have their share of smaller games". Yeah, but PS4's is bigger, a seemingly a trend that looks to continue?

I'm not cherry picking, I'm just basing this from what I read on video game forums and video game publication sites. I'm not going to able to pinpoint every single PS4 release since I'm not in that circle. I'm basing my opinions of what I saw and read. I played Knack at a kiosk at best buy years ago and didn't care much for it. I then went home and saw some reviews of it and it was mixed. And I read the same about Killzone. To be honest I forgot there was a Infamous game on PS4, so I take blame for not doing the research on that. Nor did I know about the MLB game.

I'm not saying that the smaller games don't matter it's just its not a standout feature. You can play Super Mario Bros. 3 on Wii U via virtual console. That's great and all but it just makes a better value but the virtual console isn't the biggest reason people get the Wii U especially when the Wii had a better virtual console. The Playstation 3 has a bigger digital library as well but that wasn't the defining factor of the console. The games were. But again, I guess I was wrong assuming people bought Sony systems primarily for Sony exclusives.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
3:1.5:1 , that's pretty tidy estimate. round numbers only here.

Yes those numbers are rounded.

I said Wii U at 12m, but to be fair should be >12m, Nintendo will most likely ship AROUND 2m, and this should make the total Wii U shipments at 12.73m
About 500k in the stock seem legit, so more like 12.23m, but i said 12m because yes, i like round.

Same for PS4 at 35.9m as well.

But again, I guess I was wrong assuming people bought Sony systems primarily for Sony exclusives.
Except for Nintendo, this hasn't been true of consoles since the PS1 era.

PS1, PS2, and even PS3's highest-selling games were third-party.

Doesn't mean that exclusives failed to play a big role. They did. They always do (to some degree) on any platform, but if a console hopes to be mainstream, then it either needs an uber-mainstream exclusive or a lot of third-party support.

Raist

Banned
I'm not cherry picking, I'm just basing this from what I read on video game forums and video game publication sites.

I'm pretty sure, just this year, Until Dawn and Bloodborne have been popping up on GOTY lists far more than any other XB1 exclusive, so I guess you haven't read that carefully.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Anyone starting a thread on the Sony CES conference, starting 5pm PST which I believe is 1am for me in the UK..?

Just realised it's on soon so I think I'll need to stay up now. Gonna pay for this tomorrow. I REALLY hope there will be some PSVR info but there doesn't seem to be much hype for it yet...?

Hope I'm not wrong. Saw this from here btw: http://www.psu.com/news/29042/Where...ference-PlayStation-VR-final-details-expected

Will it be live streamed?

edit: Duuurrrrr I needed to click the link.

Microsoft disappointed with their reveal and weaker power and initial DRM. Pushed a lot of 360 fanboys to the other side this gen. I was one of them.

same here. Last gen I was 360 fanboy all day. I have close to 100 Xbox 360 titles compared to like 15 PS3(mainly exclusives) games. This gen so far I have 30+ PS4 to 11 XBone games. Hate the new UI for the xbox one as well. Power + UI simplicity of the PS4 won me over this gen.

slapnuts

Its cool and all, but i dont understand why its still selling so well.

I mean since its launch, nothing really improved in OS or Services aka PSN. Some of the first Party games for my taste are really uninteresting and really dont provide much if you are multiplayer gamer.

I mean XboxOne IMO does it way better at the moment. Monthly OS Updates, we got a completly redesigned and faster UI, BC and the Games with Gold selection is way better too over the month and with BC even better.

Sure its great that its selling well, but i really cant understand it. Sure the Hardware is better. But cmon nobody can deny that Sony is really lazy so far.

39.5 million people disagree with you

Edit: Oh he was banned, oops

Rymuth

First of all why is big audience in quotes?
How is nearly 20 million people not a lot of people?
Because you're prescribing to the childish and laughably naive notion that every single one of those 20 million (when it's in fact 17-18 but let's run with it) are going to translate into game sales.

To put it in words, here's what you're saying:

Heimbeck: Kingdom Hearts 2.8HD shouldn't have skipped Xbone because there are 20 milion owners and every single one of them would've bought it! 20 million is a huge number! I can't believe Square-Enix would throw away 20 million units of sale!

When the reality is, the audience for those type of games aren't substantial. It doesn't matter if the Xbone sells 30 million units, the number of people who'd buy those games won't even reach 500k.

But I'm done with this silly argument. You go ahead and believe what you will.

Conduit

Banned
1 Million in 4 months is not bad at all. Also I said at least since I don't have any sales numbers. Also Forza 5 was the fastest selling game in the series with a 1/3 adoption rate at the time of the article. Again not bad at all. And nobody knows if these numbers are factoring in Xbox 360 sales or not.

Forza Motorsport 5, State of Decay & Gears of War: Judgement was 2013 and theres a few other cross gen titles that Microsoft did as well after the release of the Xbox One.

I don't get. Maybe i read something wrong again. You think that Forza 5 is a cross-gen title?

Just copy/paste :

1 Million in 4 months

Forza 6 over a million with much larger install base objectively is not good. Especially when Forza 5 sold more at smaller user base ( of course, it was a launch title, but nevertheless )

Series need a serious break.

Top Bottom