• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness price revealed ($39.99 / €36.99)

It's always odd to me how when an indie game is priced this high, people are automatically less likely to buy it. I get where it comes from but this game supposedly has as much content as a regular AAA game, if not more.

Dingotech

Release date trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ytwNUMdbcE

It essentially shows a mix of panel maze puzzles, environmental puzzles, and exploration. Blow has said they're showing relatively little of the game in previews so as to preserve the experience of discovering the game.

Like I said I'm happy to be surprised by the depth of the content. But currently it just isn't appealing to me.

Hopefully it's everything people are hoping for, because a lot of people seem very excited.

graywolf323

Okay, my very tight budget for the coming month just got blown up. I was expecting $19.99-$24.99. I honestly don't know if I can justify it at that price.

same sadly, I guess it's not terribly surprising since The Talos Principle released at $40 as well but still jarring to see an indie game cost that much

Heel

You can "beat" the game by completing a subset of the puzzles. Actually doing everything will take much longer, and result in a different ending.

Gamespot is mixed up. 20-25 hours gets you "an" ending, which definitely does not involve solving all 667 puzzles.

Ah...guess I'm just holding out that there's more to this game than what's been presented, haha.

A little steep, $30 would have been perfect but I'm willing to buy at full price cause I'm so damn curious about what Blow and his team have made.

Portman

I have wanted this one since it was announced and would be grabbing it at launch but I've got a lot to play already. Heck I haven't even played the Talos Principle and I've had it since launch now that I think about it. Guess this one is a wait it out approach from me for now and a sale could push me over the edge.

edit: Or I'll do my usual path of action and buy the game and let it sit for 6-12 months before I play it.

Chinner

Banned
Nobody is really in a position to comment at the moment, as most are judging this on perceived value, which is open to interpretation regardless of playtime.

It'll be worth the gamble, but people are fair to wait if hesitant.

Good price.

I won't buy it on day one, i'll wait for some reviews first, but everything i've seen so far looked like a 40$ game.

Elandyll

Banned
Seems to me that there is a mid tier of games being established around $30-$40, for "smaller"/ indie games that have a lot of production value and/ or content.
Kinda the new AA if you will.
I am ok with that.

Also expecting HellBlade to be around that much tbh.

It's his game he can charge what he wants but I feel it would do much better at 30$. I'll wait for a sale unless it reviews extremely well.

Price of game should not be a merit of completion time or production budget. Fallout wouldn't get away with charging 100$ or the next Star Wars movies tick costing twice as much. He can charge what he wants but people shouldn't be hammered for saying it's too much.

As anyone who knows me knows, I'm all for low prices on low budget (or retro-style) indie games. I think Axiom Verge & N++ would have cleaned up at $10 a piece. The Witness isn't a low budget indie game and it's not retro style either. It's a AA game - the kind of game that would have been $50-$60 on a store shelf a few years ago, but now that digital distribution is so widespread, they can put it on PSN/Steam/etc. at a discount. $40 is a discounted price (most likely because the game is in a less popular genre).

It's not an expensive indie game; it's a discounted AA game. And you know that unless it turns out to be complete garbage, it's going to win a bunch of Game of the Year awards.

Shibalan

You can "beat" the game by completing a subset of the puzzles. Actually doing everything will take much longer, and result in a different ending.

My assumption is that you don't need to do all of the puzzles to complete the narrative.

Gamespot is mixed up. 20-25 hours gets you "an" ending, which definitely does not involve solving all 667 puzzles.

Well, that's not what the quote says ; "He tells GameSpot that most people will need about 20-25 hours to beat the game's 667 puzzles" = "The game contains 667 puzzles and most people need 25 hours to solve all of them".

But yeah, I suppose it's bad wording and you're right.

Getthefuckouttahere. I was expecting the price to be about half that.

It'll be a long time before I play this then I guess. No way I'm paying that much for a digital-only title that I can't resell.

I see more complaints about this than there was about this...

D9V4cMC.png

Some of you are weird.

PolishQ

Ah...guess I'm just holding out that there's more to this game than what's been presented, haha.

There definitely is. Blow has been intentionally cagey about what constitutes a "puzzle" in that 667 figure. "667 puzzles" does NOT equal "667 maze panels", for example.

GhaleonEB

I think there is, but that Gamestop quote was pretty confusing. I updated it with one posted on the last page.

Blow has said he is trying to strike a balance with the game, and avoid the feeling where you get stuck on one puzzle and that gates you from completing the game. I don't think he's said the exact ratio, but it sounds like you can reach the initial ending while bypassing a large share of the puzzles. But the more you complete, the more the game reveals about itself, impacting the ending.

I think people really need to readjust their definition of indie, It seems a lot of people have a very, I dunno, "2008" view of what indie games are and the reality these days is that indie games hold the torch for what would be considered "A - AA" games these days. Everything I've seen and heard about the Witness suggest it is much larger in scope than your traditional indie games and I'm honestly surprised it isn't a full price release.

I'm also honestly surprised to see so many people continuing to paint indie games with such a broad brush.

Takiyah

This guy made Braid, and basically ignited the indie movement. Design wise Braid is brilliant.

You should be thankful you get his next game for only $40. I'll be day 1 PSN.

And to be clear, I find JBlow unbearable to chat with, but god damn I respect him.

wouwie

Assuming that the game is good (which we don't know yet), i would easily pay full price for a 20+ hour puzzle exploration game. On top of that, from the few things i have seen from the game, it seems like an indie game with AAA presentation and production values with beautiful visuals. So the price seems very reasonable to me (for reference, 40€ for The Talos Principle was good value for money too). I can't wait to play :)

I'm right to asume that when people values money in terms of time they mean "good time" right? like a game with 40 awesome hours of gameplay is better than a 2hs one, but a game with 40hs of boring content is worse than a game that last 2 fantastic hs.

Is really hard for me to monetize time in movies, games, music and other media. However I can easily monetize my enjoyment, that's more natural to me even if it's not to anyone else.

The game is 60-100 hours, I can't believe people actually expected this to be $20.

I don't expect it to be cheap, but some folks have a budget for games that they are on the fence. My monthly budget for games is $60 these days, and I can't enjoy all these great games at full price anymore, especially with Canadian dollar going down the shitter.

PolishQ

Well, that's not what the quote says ; "He tells GameSpot that most people will need about 20-25 hours to beat the game's 667 puzzles" = "The game contains 667 puzzles and most people need 25 hours to solve all of them".

But yeah, I suppose it's bad wording and you're right.

They conflated two quotes, as far as I can tell.

"Most people will need 20-25 hours to finish the game."

"The game has 667 puzzles."

You can "finish" the game without solving all the puzzles.

maxcriden

If it's 80-100 hrs for a completionist run, do we know yet what a regular run is like? Depending on how a game is set up that could be 25-79 hours.

Still, companies charge $60 for a 6 hour experience. So I don't begrudge the developer their price point. Unfortunately, though, with the race-to-the-bottom mentality of indie sales thanks to Steam and the devaluing of indie experience, along with the already niche puzzle genre, I am genuinely concerned for sales (this sounds like a concern troll but I promise it's genuine).

93xfan

Banned
Thought it was going to be $50, so I'm happy. Man, some people here really have unrealistic expectations.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ITT: people who don't understand value propositions and/or game development

$40 seems like a fair price for this product based on what we know. guffawing at it only makes you look cheap.

Top Bottom