• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT| No Options to Select

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagi

Man hopefully the servers are better after this maintenance I won't be finished work till 11pm UK time so I'd like it to not be a total shitshow tomorrow morning :p

Feeling a bit better with Ryu after training for a little while. Still adjusting to stick but it's fun. Looking forward to trying it with an octagonal gate when ever my parts for it come. Plus new buttons!

Pachimari

hard knock down means they can't quick get up.

No, a hard knockdown is a knockdown that does not allow for any form of quick rise. For Nash (and much of the roster) the only hard knockdown you can get is on a Crush Counter sweep.

What Wallach said. Or if you knock down your opponent and they don't quick-rise.
Cool! I'm gonna write this down in my document. Thank you guys.

I highly recommend you and other newcomers buy the prima strategy guide, the digital copy is on sale for 50% off comes to $4-7 bucks which will give you lots of super useful info like this. It also has detailed glossary so you can learn all the street fighter language.

I'm a semi-veteran to fighting games and I still bought it. Learned a ton of stuff and small tips you won't find anywhere else right now. It saved me time searching stuff. They will continue to update it for the full SFV season 1 too (including new DLC chars).

http://steamcommunity.com/games/310950/announcements/detail/857177755602770613
Nah, if I were to get the guide, I would get the physical copy as it comes with Ken/Ryu photo and that ones pretty expensive at $50 when one can get help for free on the Internet by a nice community. :)

That said, I might end up with the physical guide, but I gotta made some weeks for that. Putting aside money for a FC4 or RAP4 first.

ABSI

Neo Member
Grapplers can be a real pain to deal with if you're not prepared. You have to fight them completely differently to every other character, focusing on long-range attacks and stopping yourself from being aggressive, otherwise you just leave yourself open to grabs.

That is what I'm trying to do, play a zoning game and keep him away, Chun doesn't have a proper anti-air so I can't effectively punish the jumps.

Also I am yet to adjust to the grabbing timing in SFV, it took me long time in USFIV

Messiah

Okay, I have played every SF game but do not own SF5 yet, and I'm strictly an average player at best, HOWEVER, I have to ask: what's so bad about this clip? It just looks like a Ryu lost to a better player? Sure the Ken taunts a bit, is that what has everyone so upset? I'm just not seeing what is so nasty about that video? o_O

The dude who lost quit without facing any consequences and gets to keep his winstreak and rating.

Pachimari

Total beginner here, just managed my first online win and it feels great! Almost makes up for the 20+ losses before that!

Add me, we might be on the same level. My ratio is 2W 36L online.

Anyway, got to stage 26 on Normal Survival and lost, that feeling... But got Easy Survival done with Rashid and Ken. Now I'm gonna do some Story stages with the characters I haven't gotten around to yet.

My favourite.

4df8ec31a0c70e8136f9fa705900f251.png

ABSI

Neo Member
The matchup is actually great for her. She has the buttons to keep him out from pretty much all angles he can come at.

What are you struggling with from him?

Mainly the wakeup, I get grabbed and thrown lots of time, if I chose to Ex SBK on wake up and it was blocked I will get punished with a grab and lose lot's of life, also his jump kicking have very good range and most of the time if I use her anti air kicks it will be a trade rather than a punish

mbpm1

That is what I'm trying to do, play a zoning game and keep him away, Chun doesn't have a proper anti-air so I can't effectively punish the jumps.

Also I am yet to adjust to the grabbing timing in SFV, it took me long time in USFIV

Chun's got a bunch of anti-airs that are good. St. lk, st. hk, ex. spinning bird kick, st. hp.

The trick is using the right one at the right time.

Mainly the wakeup, I get grabbed and thrown lots of time, if I chose to Ex SBK on wake up and it was blocked I will get punished with a grab and lose lot's of life, also his jump kicking have very good range and most of the time if I use her anti air kicks it will be a trade rather than a punish

Wakeup vs a good gief is always a guess. You can try other options, like neutral jump, which will punish a command grab since the recovery is so long that you can hit him on the way down and is less risky than a straight up SBK, or Backdash, although this one is vulnerable to getting crush countered so be alot more sparing with this one.

With Gief's jumpins, that one's more a matter of knowing what ranges are good to use which AAs. But she definitely has what it take to stop jumps, if necessary you can go into the air and hit him with jump heavy punch to keep him off.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I have played every SF game but do not own SF5 yet, and I'm strictly an average player at best, HOWEVER, I have to ask: what's so bad about this clip? It just looks like a Ryu lost to a better player? Sure the Ken taunts a bit, is that what has everyone so upset? I'm just not seeing what is so nasty about that video? o_O
Did you not watch till the end? The Ryu rage quit.

OVDRobo

If you think he's going to try and grab you on wakeup and you haven't done it too many times before, just hold up. Holding up is the bane of all grapplers in most games.

Of course, they gave Zangief the aerial grab in this version, which makes that less viable, but if you're not too predictable, holding up on wakeup and kicking Zangief on the way down is usually a good way to deal with him, especially if the enemy is aggressive.

We're the new Driveclub fans telling people that the game is actually good and they just don't get it.
Lol...Ill be sure to raise the awesome flag in March and in June and do PR for Capcom. DC did manage to sell 2-3 million copies I believe when people said it was crap. Would love for SFV to sell 8 million units over the gen again and be a big success. SFV and Smash are my GOTG!! So good! But Capcom really should have did something more for casuals.

Maybe release digital only and retail release at launch? And specified this is really for the hardcore players initially?

Hagi

Haha! I've always found P2 side easier, particularly for SRK motions.

Yeah I just finally got the movement down for Shoryuken without using the shortcut and find it easier to do P2 side as well.

Doing one move like 50 times in a row is really helping me out with execution. Practeece, practeece, practeece.

Cowie

Pretty sure you have to do 23692+mk

I think it's because you are actually canceling a headstomp to get it to be instant air legs or something crazy like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-s-8FikQM (not sure how accurate this video still is)

Interesting. Thanks!

I had had a little bit of luck doing 2369 236 mk (and this explains why) but that motion was dangerous and just begging for me to botch it and throw out a random super.

Pachimari

Oh, two things I can't seem to get the grasp around and don't have in my document are these two words: "chip" and "crush counter", what are they for and doing? I see "Crush Counter" pop up on screen sometimes but don't know what I did. I can imagine it's a counter attack, where if an opponent punches me, I punch him back immediately.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Man, sales GAF and early buyers really are putting a damper on the hype, every day another negative thread, I hope this game rises above the ashes of all the flack. Looks like it had a timid launch, but we'll see if digital is higher than usual.
Digital is absolutely going to be higher than SF4 launch was, if that makes you feel any better.

Number45

If you think he's going to try and grab you on wakeup and you haven't done it too many times before, just hold up. Holding up is the bane of all grapplers in most games.

Of course, they gave Zangief the aerial grab in this version, which makes that less viable, but if you're not too predictable, holding up on wakeup and kicking Zangief on the way down is usually a good way to deal with him, especially if the enemy is aggressive.
Would jumping back not be a better option in this scenario, if he has options on a neutral jump (whether anti-air or an air-grab)? Obviously doesn't give you the chance of a punish but if you're struggling to stay safe I assume gaining distance is priority one.

Messiah

Oh, two things I can't seem to get the grasp around and don't have in my document are these two words: "chip" and "crush counter", what are they for and doing? I see "Crush Counter" pop up on screen sometimes but don't know what I did. I can imagine it's a counter attack, where if an opponent punches me, I punch him back immediately.

Chip is the small amount of damage you take while blocking, crush counters are explained in the FAQ section in the OP: http://abload.de/img/faq1mxshx.jpg

You can't get killed by chip damage in SFV except when you are hit by a critical art.

Fun, losing 3x to a worthless french Ken couse he laggs like crazy. How hard is it to get matched to someone else..

Gonna find a baugette and break it.

Piccoro

Why do characters like Rashid speak in English after winning, like "Okay 10 points I did it", when I have said the language to Japanese?

Are you on PC? Last week I was playing in a lobby with a friend of mine. We both set the Voice language to Japanese and he was hearing the characters speak English sometimes. Maybe it's a PC glitch?
I'm on PS4 and he was in PC.

Pachimari

Chip is the small amount of damage you take while blocking, crush counters are explained in the FAQ section in the OP: http://abload.de/img/faq1mxshx.jpg

Thank you. I'll read through the OP. So many Street Fighter related articles I'm reading through at the moment. Currently reading the "Hit the Ground Running" as well.

Are you on PC? Last week I was playing in a lobby with a friend of mine. We both set the Voice language to Japanese and he was hearing the characters speak English sometimes. Maybe it's a PC glitch?
I'm on PS4 and he was in PC.

I'm on PS4.

Ryu also spoke English in his Story the first time I played through it.

mbpm1

Would jumping back not be a better option in this scenario, if he has options on a neutral jump (whether anti-air or an air-grab)? Obviously doesn't give you the chance of a punish but if you're struggling to stay safe I assume gaining distance is priority one.

Jumping back is also a good idea if you want space. But it pushes you closer to the corner, which is every Zangief's wet dream, so that's also something to take into consideration

ABSI

Neo Member

That is my strategy at the moment, I neutral jump then HK, LMK and flash kick or EX flash kick, it a good punish. But his focus like ability in this version can destroy it but it will require a skilled player.

BTW I read that people struggle with FANG, I found him quite easy, I played against 10 FANGS ( between 800 and 1500 LP ) and I won't every match, what I do is keep attacking and ignoring the position effect completely

Mr. X

sLK
bHK
sHK
bHP
sLP
neutral jump HK
Air throw

On ground, use bMP sMK sHK or sHP to attack areas he walks in. You can bully Geif into a corner and just counter poke his buttons or walking.

Don't play scared or be afraid to get hit, you need to practice this fight until you see why Chun wins it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Chip damage is if you lose life while blocking something. Up until SFV you could actually kill doing that to someone, you can't do that in V, except with Critical Arts.

Crush Counter is a specific version of a counter hit in V. A counter-hit happens if you hit someone out of the startup of his move. It gives you a little more advantage, making combos possible that weren't before. To get a CC in V you have to hit with two specific buttons, usually HK and HP. You also get a CC after a reversal, like when you block a wakeup upptercut. A CC gives you a small crumple state for some big damage.

Cool! I'm gonna write this down in my document. Thank you guys.

Nah, if I were to get the guide, I would get the physical copy as it comes with Ken/Ryu photo and that ones pretty expensive at $50 when one can get help for free on the Internet by a nice community. :)

That said, I might end up with the physical guide, but I gotta made some weeks for that. Putting aside money for a FC4 or RAP4 first.

The physical version won't be updated when patches and DLC gets released.

OVDRobo

I'm just speaking in terms of what I'd do of course, but jumping backwards just keeps things neutral.

In my experience, fighting grapplers is all about not getting scared and choking, seizing opportunities for damage wherever you can get them, but training the grappler to not just constantly advance on you is also important. You want to get them frustrated and desperate for that grapple damage so they start doing stupid things to get it that you can punish, letting you chip off bits of their health bar each time

Obviously in the case that you'd caught them out with that trick a couple of times, it might be a better idea to just get the hell out of there or you might get caught by a predictive air grapple, but it doesn't hurt to do it once or twice and it's more a case that there is no right option so much as several good options that can go very bad if the grappler player is good at predicting what you'll do.

mbpm1

Chip damage is if you lose life while blocking something. Up until SFV you could actually kill doing that to someone, you can't do that in V, except with Critical Arts.

Crush Counter is a specific version of a counter hit in V. A counter-hit happens if you hit someone out of the startup of his move. It gives you a little more advantage, making combos possible that weren't before. To get a CC in V you have to hit with two specific buttons, usually HK and HP. You also get a CC after a reversal, like when you block a wakeup upptercut. A CC gives you a small crumple state for some big damage.

A lot more advantage. You can do so much after a Crush counter.

Pachimari

The physical version won't be updated when patches and DLC gets released.

No of course it won't. It's paper. ^_^

---

Wow, didn't know one could change the voice language for every individual character. Super nice. I have to say, I have almost had no problems with this game. I have had two laggy battle lounge matches but that's about it. That said, I haven't ventured into Ranking matches yet.

Gbraga

I'm sure someone already posted this, but just in case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygKSnBIQq84

Floe's Karin tech on wakeup. Seems legit. He said yesterday that you can also react to the back roll easily, probably with a sweep after the v-skill whiffs?

I really need to program my muscle memory to go for Tenko when I do CH c.jab into st. MP. for whatever reason I just stand there after this. I can hitconfirm a c.MK into tenko, but I'm having trouble with this string that gives me much more time to confirm.

I think we should start nationalizing players and characters now.

I'm an Irish Ryu. Feels right.

Brazilian Karin <3

Moaradin

Fuck Survival Mode. Seriously, it's garbage in every way. Boring AI until 40 where they start reading your inputs and instantly reacting, DCing from online kicking you out, the bullshit RNG on the healing buff...

I'm convinced the game has a higher chance of giving you a low healing increase when you are low on health. I just wasted the last 5 hours of my life trying to get this shit out of the way. Got to Round 44 3 times and lost each time to R Mika doing instant reaction bullshit air grabs. Just got to round 41 and was in a good position and the game disconnected. I don't know who checked this mode and thought it would be fun.

Where the fuck is all the cheat engine and trainers for SF5? I would jump on that in a heatbeat just to get this over with.

LiK

I'm surprised Survival didn't randomize your opponent. playing the same order every time with every character is pretty lame.

how the fuck are there still good players in the rookie, surely they should have all moved on by now ffs
New players, but not necessarily new to SF.

Digital is absolutely going to be higher than SF4 launch was, if that makes you feel any better.
yeah it does, tks man, I know SFV in particular is best judged at least 6 months from now, but just hoping this doesn't turn into a VF5 situation, amazing game ther only a small hardcore community appreciates.

Pakistani M.Bison here.

Makes sense I gravitate towards the character named Dictator.
hey I love you man...but F$::! bison and his crazy damage!

What's up with him and Necali can go on autopilot hitting like trucks. Too much safe on block stuff. I'm coming for you guys online. Vega, Bison, Necalli, watch out for Omni darniit! I'm coming with the tech fo dat ass!!

Goes and cries in a corner

OVDRobo

I think we should start nationalizing players and characters now.

I'm an Irish Ryu. Feels right.

English Cammy here. Wait a minute...

Think I'm going to start disconnecting on anyone that has a winstreak over 10. They're either someone that disconnects any time they're going to lose or incredibly misplaced down in humble bronze league. Either way, it feels like a waste of time.

hey I love you man...but F$::! bison and his crazy damage!

What's up with him and Necali can go on autopilot hitting like trucks. Too much safe on block stuff. I'm coming for you guys online. Vega, Bison, Necalli, watch out for Omni darniit! I'm coming with the tech fo dat ass!!

Goes and cries in a corner

Can't say about Necalli, since he is not a fun character to play against, but Bison's strength relies on capitalizing on your mistakes. His offense is actually pretty shit if you can block/tech throws well.

He has no overhead, his d+u k move can be anti-aired or dodged, his scissor kick can be a bit of a pain to block against but you can use a light jab if you have a somewhat far reaching one and use V-Reversals.

When he has his V-Triggers, it's mostly shenanigans to be honest. With a bit of experience, you can defend against his crossups and stuff.

Man, sales GAF and early buyers really are putting a damper on the hype, every day another negative thread, I hope this game rises above the ashes of all the flack. Looks like it had a timid launch, but we'll see if digital is higher than usual.

Its not as much us early buyers bitching about lag and connection issues as nonbuyers demanding bribes to MAYBE buy and participate.

BadWolf

I'm doing busy loving the game to care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom