• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - my digital games won't start

LUXURY

All this digital shit is fucking literally everything up. Hope this opens more eyes up to their perfect view of digital files.

watership

All this digital shit is fucking literally everything up. Hope this opens more eyes up to their perfect view of digital files.

My digital games work fine. It's anything tied to online that's not working. That's as expected during an online outage. (Except plex not workimg, that's super dumb.)

Your digital games don't work when Xbox Live is down because of either:
1) Your console is not set as the home console
2) Your console is set as the home console, but the it keeps trying to connect online ignoring the fact that it can't.
If your issue is the second, then set the console to offline mode and you can play your digital games!

holy shit it's that simple! Does MS tell folks this? Or do you have to google it?

Rembrandt

Banned
I can actually see that being true, but honestly that should never be possible. People do buy it at full price, it should 100% be theirs forever.

if only. I'm so glad 360 BC is a thing. Hopefully this keeps being a thing for each successive release.

Haha sure, I'd like to see one of these companies try and pull something like that off. Lawsuits and consumer backlash not to mention trying to convince people to keep buying your digital games (in the inevitable all digital future) even though the stuff you bought five years ago won't work.

The day digital libraries stop working or "expire" is the day I stop playing video games.

Already happening.

Maybe they're not offered on a particular store for purchase anymore, but I don't think I've ever acquired a digital game that has just stopped working once I already have it.

Multiplayer game that ended up closing the servers?

Bessy67

I can't even start a bunch of my games offline. I figured if I can't play PvZ2 I'd just go and play some Powerstar Golf so I switched to offline and tried to run it and I got the same error message I had been getting while online. This is very disappointing. Live has been pretty shitty this gen.

etta

my hard graphic balls
holy shit it's that simple! Does MS tell folks this? Or do you have to google it?

No, they don't tell people that their backwards-designed system allows for the console to ignore the fact that it can't connect to the internet.

Your digital games don't work when Xbox Live is down because of either:
1) Your console is not set as the home console
2) Your console is set as the home console, but the it keeps trying to connect online ignoring the fact that it can't.
If your issue is the second, then set the console to offline mode and you can play your digital games!

1) it is my home Console.
2) the games I wish to play don't work without being online or aren't worth playing -- Rocket League, Madden 16. Regardless the games should still at least boot up with network issues, instead of horrendously unhelpful error messages and crashing to the dashboard every few seconds.

Beyond that the insane smattering of errors on the Xbox tonight is impressive. This error appeared when I went to open Rocket League.

lwIPhjM.jpg

Error code negative 2.1 billion.

I'm able to get online and play Rocket League but my achievements aren't unlocking. Anyone else that's online not getting achievements?

Has anyone being able to access anything digital in the last few hours?

I came across this thread and decided to see if I'm affected. I tried launching a few digital games, but was unable to (except Rock Band 4, but I didn't have any instruments out to see if I could play it). Then I put myself into offline mode, and I was able to launch games fine.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
what the fuck man. Just wanted to play few rounds of Halo 5 SWAT before going to sleep.

I agree, Microsoft have disappointed this generation for their online services.

Bishop89

Relevant to topic
Lol im probably late to this but just saw it.
Fake kaz twitter
"two big former playstation exclusives came out on Xbox One this week: rocket league and network connection issues" 😂

Sorry can't link on mobile /work

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
I signed out of my profile, hard reseted my xbox and I am good to go. yassssssssss

LUXURY

what the fuck man. Just wanted to play few rounds of Halo 5 SWAT before going to sleep.

I agree, Microsoft have disappointed this generation for their online services.

They really have. I can't even try to defend them anymore. It's sad.

etta

my hard graphic balls
2) the games I wish to play don't work without being online or aren't worth playing -- Rocket League, Madden 16. Regardless the games should still at least boot up with network issues, instead of horrendously unhelpful error messages and crashing to the dashboard every few seconds.

Beyond that the insane smattering of errors on the Xbox tonight is impressive. This error appeared when I went to open Rocket League.

lwIPhjM.jpg

So the games don't launch at all? Where is that error screen from?

Syriel

if only. I'm so glad 360 BC is a thing. Hopefully this keeps being a thing for each successive release.

Already happening.

Multiplayer game that ended up closing the servers?

MP games with no servers is not a digital exclusive issue.

Has anyone being able to access anything digital in the last few hours?

I've been able to start up games as well as Netflix.

lwIPhjM.jpg

Yes, if online is down then MP only games won't be playable. That part isn't going to change regardless of if your console is offline or not.

Yes, if online is down then MP only games won't be playable. That part isn't going to change regardless of if your console is offline or not.

Rocket League has a single player mode. It's ridiculous that it would get an error on LAUNCH. At worst it should throw an in game error that it can't connect to servers

Furthermore, READ the error. Even the error message is broken!

Yep.
It just sucks.
Today I worked from 730 to 630, made dinner, did laundry, chores, then did freelance from 8 to 1015... At 1015 I settled down to play 45mins of games, and the service I pay for doesn't work and causes the entire system to shit the bed. I spend 10 mins resetting various things because it's not clear that this is a network issue (infact I'm signed into xbox live talking to a friend...). Finally at 1030 I go on to find that it's a network issue and to even boot a game I have to force my console to offline mode, and also potentially sign out of my profile, hard reset. Fuck it, it's just not worth it.

I'd rather complain and take screenshots of the shit not working than fight with the console to get 30minutes of game time in.

Jerrod

The saves I made last night in Fallout 4 are missing. When I turned on my console today it synched data which took about an hour. I wonder if my saves never got uploaded to the cloud and so when it synched it deleted the more recent saves on my console? Or how does this work?

The game would boot for 10 seconds and then crash to the daahboard and then give am absurd error message. That one I posted was the 3rd or 4th different error message I got.

Sorry but that's not functioning software design.

There is an offline mode in rocket league, it sucks, but it exists. That was also not playable. The game would boot for like 30 seconds then crash, repeatedly, while not doing anything.

I'm sure I could have gone to offline mode, but at no point did the console suggest that to me. If I wasn't a gaffer and game enthusiast I wouldn't even know what offline mode is.

MarkusRJR

My Xbox has been having XBL issues all the last week or two. What a piece of shit. As an Xbox fan I'm so annoyed. I'm even having issues apps that don't even use XBL.

Can't believe their paid online service is such shit. Imagine if they went with their original Xbox One plan. People would be going insane since there have been so many outages this year.

So the games don't launch at all? Where is that error screen from?

That error appeared the 3rd or 4th time I was booted from the rocket league menu screen. Hitting close actually opened the Microsoft Beta signup app. It was a marvel of user experience design so much that I had to take a photo.

razzel

I'm playing Far Cry 4 digital. Had to click through a bunch of errors as game loaded, but working fine now.

I am online and my xbox is not set to my home console.

My Xbox has been having XBL issues all the last week or two. What a piece of shit. As an Xbox fan I'm so annoyed. I'm even having issues apps that don't even use XBL.

Can't believe their paid online service is such shit. Imagine if they went with their original Xbox One plan. People would be going insane since there have been so many outages this year.

Same. I bought am xbox because I trust Microsoft with online systems. Hell, Microsofts azure cloud service was a major PR feature for Xbox One, not just the hokey "power of the cloud" bull, but that Microsoft has one of the 2nd or 3rd largest server farms on earth at their disposal, and behind Amazon and Google, Microsoft is the pre-eminent leader in huge online networks.

And yet, the last 2 weeks the service has been pretty shitty, and it's not like it's been some marvel of performance outside the last 2 weeks either. Fact is today we're living in an online world where network connectivity less than 99.99% is not acceptable for a paid service, and XBL -- once the gold standard of online networks -- has certainly been worse than that this year.

GHG

What I still can't get my head around is why plex and the media player "play to" functionality stops working if live is down?

None of that needs to use the Xbox live servers so why?

Top Bottom