• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS4K a threat to PC gaming?

Honestly, I think it is, assuming of course that the rumors are true and that it is a more powerful PS4 capable of playing games at higher resolutions, framerates and/or quality levels. Obviously there are differences between console gaming and PC gaming, yet I think that at least some gamers who would normally build a PC at the later stages of the generation to enjoy better performance might now prefer to stay with the Playstation platform. Maybe some PC gamers might be enticed by a platform with the ease of use of a console combined with the performance of at least a current mid-range PC.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
No, the PC is always going to have a power advantage over a static, non-upgradeable console.

Massa

I'm sure some people might see it that way but on the large scheme of things I don't think it will make a significant impact. The main reasons people play on PC will continue regardless.

PS4K IS PC gaming

In the same way that the iPhone is an Android device.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
As long as it is a closed system that isn't even backwards compatible with previous Playstation games, let alone not having access to the entirety of PC gaming's decades worth of games, then nope, it's not a threat. I'm a PC gamer for a lot more reasons than graphics.

Banned
No. The PS4K is just going to upscale games to a 4K tv. It's not going to natively run games at 4K. If a $700 gpu can barely do 4K gaming at 30fps what makes you think a $400 or even $500 console will run games at 4K?

The ps4k is just going to have built in VR capabilities with a 4K upscaler so 1080p games don't look like ass on a 4K tv, since consoles upscale better than TV's.

Ryan_MSF

grZAZ.gif

heringer

No.

Not that Gaf is a great place for predictions like that. A few years ago anyone claiming mobile was a threat to handheld gaming was considered a fool.

Different market segments.

The people who actually want consoles outside of gaming forums like this, do so because they either don't have the room or space to dedicate to a office for a PC. Or they simply don't want to go into adding a new GPU, CPU or anything.

For as easy as Steam is, it is still insanely scary for normal people if it is anything beyond downloading a app or putting in a disc.

It's totally different markets.

z1ggy

No, i like playing free online. And having mods. And having my cRPGs. And updating what i want and mess around with my build.

So no.

Top Bottom