• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS4K a threat to PC gaming?

Durante

No.

If anything, it will give PC gamers some slightly higher baseline settings in many multiplatform games. Neat.

(It also removes the argument some people made for preferring consoles over PC of having a completely level playing field)

No. The PS4K is just going to upscale games to a 4K tv. It's not going to natively run games at 4K. If a $700 gpu can barely do 4K gaming at 30fps what makes you think a $400 or even $500 console will run games at 4K?

The ps4k is just going to have built in VR capabilities with a 4K upscaler so 1080p games don't look like ass on a 4K tv, since consoles upscale better than TV's.

probably this

Krisprolls

Banned
Honestly, I think it is, assuming of course that the rumors are true and that it is a more powerful PS4 capable of playing games at higher resolutions, framerates and/or quality levels. Obviously there are differences between console gaming and PC gaming, yet I think that at least some gamers who would normally build a PC at the later stages of the generation to enjoy better performance might now prefer to stay with the Playstation platform. Maybe some PC gamers might be enticed by a platform with the ease of use of a console combined with the performance of at least a current mid-range PC.

Yes it is. It's basically nearly every advantage of PC gaming without the PC hassles.

And if more people choose iterative consoles instead of gaming PCs, the market size effect will make PC even more costly comparatively. Nvidia can't sell its graphics cards at the same price point if they sell even less copies.

Basically, if iterative consoles take off gaming PCs could be in trouble.

etta

my hard graphic balls
grZAZ.gif

Nah but consoles are definitely getting closer and closer to PC gaming

They are still way behind though in terms of choice and customisability.

Kilau

No more than any other console has been. Still doesn't change what makes PC gaming unique.

If anything it's a threat to PlayStation success.

Lingitiz

Yes it is. It's basically nearly every advantage of PC gaming without the PC hassles.

And if more people choose iterative consoles instead of gaming PCs, the market size effect will make PC even more costly comparatively. Nvidia can't sell its graphics cards at the same price point if they sell even less copies.

Haha this must be a joke post. Right?

PC doomed all over again.

ViviOggi

9/10

Akronis

So when are all those PC exclusives coming to PS4?

swx

oh
ECXl916.gif

hilarious thread

AmyS

Not even close.

Even IF PS4K is several times more powerful than PS4, it wouldn't be more than a mid-range gaming PC of 2014-2015.

PC gaming was just fine when Xbox 360 launched in 2005 where the console was equivalent of a high-end PC that year.

Crono27

Yup gaming pcs will be totally in trouble. April 1st is friday (quick edit cause I said tommorrow. Oops lol) btw.

If anything, it's the other way around. If PS4K is real then it completely removes the point of having a console if you're going to have to upgrade it every 3 years so it would make sense to just switch to PC.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I literally laughed out loud at this topic. No, of course not. The idea is ridiculous.

Nice. You saved me from saying the same.

If/when PS4K comes out, it will just reaffirm that I should go PC 100% and it would be the right move to do.

If anything, it's the other way around. If PS4K is real then it completely removes the point of having a console if you're going to have to upgrade it every 3 years so it would make sense to just switch to PC.

People in the PC world still buy pre built machines with no intention of upgrading

The difference isnt as stark a contrast as power users paint it to be

lazygecko

The graphics and performance aspect of PC gaming is seriously overplayed. The biggest appeal is simply that it is an open platform where consumers and developers alike are free to tinker around and experiment to a degree which simply isn't feasible nor allowed in the walled garden ecosystem of the consoles. It's what allows a game like Minecraft, its community and the unorthodox business model behind it to happen.

I get where you're coming from OP, but honestly no. It's not a threat to anyone but Sony.

I don't think the PS4K is a good idea at all.

-Are they going to fragment the user base? (Only devs know)
-Are games going to be compatible with both systems? (Supposedly)
-If so, will they run worse on current systems? (We shall wait and see, probably later on in the console life)
-Is this only for 4K and VR? (More than likely, yes)
-Will it cost greater than or equal to $399? (Probably)

Raises more questions than answers, and if the answers to even 1 of those questions above is "yes", then it's a bad idea.

impact

Banned

lol

You don't game on PC I take it.

Anno

I sure don't think so. The difference in power between the two is like fifth on my list of reasons I don't want a console.

Mivey

Since the PC is forever a dying platform, this attack at its very core (having exclusive 4K gaming) could very well send it over the edge and finally kill it for good. PS4 is a beast.

Honestly, I think it is, assuming of course that the rumors are true and that it is a more powerful PS4 capable of playing games at higher resolutions, framerates and/or quality levels. Obviously there are differences between console gaming and PC gaming, yet I think that at least some gamers who would normally build a PC at the later stages of the generation to enjoy better performance might now prefer to stay with the Playstation platform. Maybe some PC gamers might be enticed by a platform with the ease of use of a console combined with the performance of at least a current mid-range PC.

Let's treat it seriously, unlike the above wall of one-liners.

It's hard to speculate what exactly PS4K is, but "a PS4 capable of higher graphical output" does not necessarily imply anything about how it works out. Look at NN3DS where some games take use of the additional power... and some don't.

Another tricky part is that if PS4K releases, it's a "standard" release and what may happen is that developers will simply shift away some budget away from the optimization phase, since it would be looking acceptable on PS4K now (and bad on OPS4), while the point of power gamers is that "merely acceptable is not enough". So that would simply create more incentive to get even more overpowered PCs.

Then you have people like me, that while happy about PC being usually better than equivalent console if you can wait a while or pay a lot, are more interested in stuff like modding or non-gaming usage.

(Also, seriously, PCs are not that harder to use than consoles nowadays. Setting one up can be hard, but that's it. And that's not really complement to PCs, it's just that consoles got worse about it.)

Krisprolls

Banned
For the mass market in 2016, gaming PCs actually died long ago. They're a thing of the past.

Nowadays we want things which work instantly like they do when we buy something on Amazon. One click gaming. You start playing in 10 seconds, like on consoles. Nobody outside hardcore gaffers (who are a tiny minority after all) want to bother with settings and drivers anymore in 2016 either.

That's why mobile gaming is gaining ground fast. Accessibility, convenience. Our laziness. This trend won't stop because it's the world we live in.

If iterative consoles take off, half of the few hardcore PC fans left will give up on PCs too and just buy the latest plug and play system.

I know I will and I'm among those who upgrade their PC half way in the console gen. No need to do that anymore if iterative consoles are a thing.

coolmast3r

I honestly don't see any reason for it to be a threat to PC gaming. It's still a console, albeit a more powerful one, so it being released doesn't change anything IMO.

Akronis

For the mass market in 2016, gaming PCs actually died long ago. They're a thing of the past.

Nowadays we want things which work instantly like they do when we buy something on Amazon. One click gaming.

You start playing in 10 seconds, like on consoles. Nobody outside hardcore gaffers (who are a tiny minority after all) want to bother with settings and drivers anymore in 2016 either.

That's why mobile gaming is gaining ground fast. Accessibility, convenience. Our laziness.

This trend won't stop because it's the world we live in.

If iterative consoles take off, half of the PC hardcore fans left will give up on PCs too and just buy the latest plug and play system.

I know I will and I'm among those who upgrade their PC half way in the console gen. No need to do that if iterative consoles are a thing.

oh ho, you're a good one ain'tcha.

9/10

Top Bottom