• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS4K a threat to PC gaming?

derExperte

Do you have any examples of the games you see this on? I'm legitimately curious

One recent example is CoD:Advanced Warfare, lots of hacking while the devs don't care (mp has other issues too). He's still exaggerating of course, the large majority of games are fine and you get cheaters/glitchers on consoles too but yeah, some titles are f'd up. Tho for me that's more a strike against the developers (or publishers) and not the platform.

Mifec

I think 2xPS4 would be more powerful than that, GCN 4.0 efficiency improvements to be factored in.

The 280x is a rebranded 7970 and is not twice as fast as the PS4 on paper.

A rebranded 7970 but yea it's a mid range card now going to become low end before this year ends if what we know about Pascal/Polaris is true.

yeah idk why I said 7870, it didn't look right when I typed it rofl.

Salmon

Thinking about it, it's not a threat at all. Rather a good way for getting better PC games in the end. So not as many console downgraded games. Not as many compromises like games running at 900p and/or 30 fps. PS45 can't come soon enough!

Harmen

A lot more?
ps4 + ps4k would cost you 800€.
If you used that 800€ to upgrade your pc @ the end of 2013 (ps4 launch) meaning a new mobo, cpu, gpu and ram you would get something more powerful than the ps4k three years before it launched.

This. To me this is in fact more of a pro towards PC gaming.

Especially with VR and all, the PS4 will have three related but to a degree separate platforms soon to fraction the PS4 player base (and therefore fraction development efforts). While it can be done in a right way, I am very skeptical how Sony will ensure regular PS4 owners will still get a "normal" output of games.

Stasis

Yes it is. It's basically nearly every advantage of PC gaming without the PC hassles.

And if more people choose iterative consoles instead of gaming PCs, the market size effect will make PC even more costly comparatively. Nvidia can't sell its graphics cards at the same price point if they sell even less copies.

Basically, if iterative consoles take off gaming PCs could be in trouble.

Can't tell if sarcasm.

If not... oh my. I'm happy for you if this makes you feel good about not owning or wanting to build a real gaming PC but it's so far from the truth. So so far.

But I'm sure dozens of people have and will say this better than I am.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
You must not be familiar with recent console history. People thought devs would use the extra power over last-gen to target 60fps for their games. That has not been the case. Most of them will put emphasis on eye-candy over performance. Especially if they're going to try and achieve native 4K resolutions. The absolute top-end GPUs on the market have trouble maintaining stable framerates in recent games at 4K. Somehow, I doubt the GPU used in the PS4K will fare better.

They will not. They will upscale.

Top Bottom