• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS4K a threat to PC gaming?

Durante

Yes it is. It's basically nearly every advantage of PC gaming without the PC hassles.
Hmm, I'd say it combines all the disadvantages of console gaming (lack of user control, limited input/output options, no modding, paid online) with some of the disadvantages of PC gaming (no "level playing field", multiple optimization targets).

I guess it's a matter of perspective.

The graphics and performance aspect of PC gaming is seriously overplayed. The biggest appeal is simply that it is an open platform where consumers and developers alike are free to tinker around and experiment to a degree which simply isn't feasible nor allowed in the walled garden ecosystem of the consoles. It's what allows a game like Minecraft and the unorthodox business model behind it to happen.

DIY versus Built for you

A dynamic that already exists in the PC ecosystem itself

PS4K isnt a threat so much as just another choice in this giant pool of tech choices

ANd with developments being pushed by MS with Cross compatibilty of PC games and cross networking

The lines will be blurred further

Heyasuki

Will the PS4k cost $3k?

I mean 980ti can't even do 4k well so unless they just magically made a better card then Nvidia and got the price down by losing money...this is turning into a rant, I'll just say lol no.

Brisal73

If most PCs configurations have a hard time with 4k at 60fps, I don't see PS4k hitting that until PC does it first.

I see PS4k as, sure run your games at 4k, but at 30fps. Or 1080p at 60fps.
Btw did I mention we have a 4k UHD Player inside.

Crono27

For the mass market in 2016, gaming PCs actually died long ago. They're a thing of the past.

Nowadays we want things which work instantly like they do when we buy something on Amazon. One click gaming. You start playing in 10 seconds, like on consoles. Nobody outside hardcore gaffers (who are a tiny minority after all) want to bother with settings and drivers anymore in 2016 either.

That's why mobile gaming is gaining ground fast. Accessibility, convenience. Our laziness. This trend won't stop because it's the world we live in.

If iterative consoles take off, half of the PC hardcore fans left will give up on PCs too and just buy the latest plug and play system.

I know I will and I'm among those who upgrade their PC half way in the console gen. No need to do that if iterative consoles are a thing.

What.... half of pc gamer uh huh... ur Def not a pc gamer.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
No, i like playing free online. And having mods. And having my cRPGs. And updating what i want and mess around with my build.

So no.
This plus backwards compatibility, emulation and different control options.

I don't see anyone who plays on PC because of this reasons suddenly jumping to a console due to a more powerful version being released.

Yes it is. It's basically nearly every advantage of PC gaming without the PC hassles.

And if more people choose iterative consoles instead of gaming PCs, the market size effect will make PC even more costly comparatively. Nvidia can't sell its graphics cards at the same price point if they sell even less copies.

Basically, if iterative consoles take off gaming PCs could be in trouble.
Hahahahaha

Durante

If most PCs configurations have a hard time with 4k at 60fps, I don't see PS4k hitting that until PC does it first.

I see PS4k as, sure run your games at 4k, but at 30fps. Or 1080p at 60fps.
Btw did I mention we have a 4k UHD Player inside.
Actually, 4k at 30 FPS would be very impressive (for games which run at 1080p30 on "standard" PS4).

I really don't see that happening consistently. It would require a GPU improvement by a factor of 4 across most performance metrics.

Topic is ridiculous

PG gaming is a staple foundation that consoles are inevitably a part of

Its not a threat

Its a collaboration of choices

Yudoken

61Uao7i9DwL._SX425_.jpg

Add this and allow me to play games at 60fps/1080p without framepacing issues with any game (even the once which are released) and I'm going to buy it whatever it is.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The graphics and performance aspect of PC gaming is seriously overplayed. The biggest appeal is simply that it is an open platform where consumers and developers alike are free to tinker around and experiment to a degree which simply isn't feasible nor allowed in the walled garden ecosystem of the consoles. It's what allows a game like Minecraft, its community and the unorthodox business model behind it to happen.

It's also why there's so many people complaining loudly about UWP and why we really can't take the people defending it seriousy.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The exact opposite actually. PC has never looked more attractive.

Yep. I've never been a pc gamer, but this trend could change that for me. I'd much rather upgrade components to keep getting best graphics on a platform than have to replace a whole console every three or four years. That's just wasteful and not environmentally friendly.

jahepi

4K games, not possible on gaming consoles yet, even high end pcs have hard time running at that resolution with decent framerate.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
For the mass market in 2016, gaming PCs actually died long ago. They're a thing of the past.

Nowadays we want things which work instantly like they do when we buy something on Amazon. One click gaming. You start playing in 10 seconds, like on consoles. Nobody outside hardcore gaffers (who are a tiny minority after all) want to bother with settings and drivers anymore in 2016 either.

That's why mobile gaming is gaining ground fast. Accessibility, convenience. Our laziness. This trend won't stop because it's the world we live in.

If iterative consoles take off, half of the few hardcore PC fans left will give up on PCs too and just buy the latest plug and play system.

I know I will and I'm among those who upgrade their PC half way in the console gen. No need to do that anymore if iterative consoles are a thing.

Is there anywhere on earth at this moment where it might be april the 1st? As I can't for the love of me not take this as a joke.

drotahorror

I'd be surprised if PS4K is more than a normal PS4 with 4k media playback. I doubt games will be 4k unless they aren't graphically intensive. I believe the people that developed Trine 2 said they could get that running @ 4k/60fps on PS4. Which is very impressive considering Trine 2 looks amazing still.

Not really- there are more reasons why people choose PC over console than raw power. It may actually slightly benefit PC gaming, because while obviously games will still have to be able to scale down to PS4/XBone, the "this optional effect won't work on consoles, so we won't bother implementing it just for expensive PCs" thing may not happen as often.

I can run any game on my PC right now at 4K. The vast majority are a stable 30FPS (which is what the PS would be if we're being real), some run at 40-50 which is smoothened by GSync, some are even a stable 60.

If I can do that now, in 2016, it's very safe to say that by the time this "PC killer" comes out, PCs will be able too far beyond its abilities for any PC gamer to care about it.

SerTapTap

If anything the PS4k is more likely a threat to PS4 to the benefit of PC gaming. It's plain to see that like half the people not interested in the concept say "I'll get a PC if they do this".

platina

Not even gonna have Polaris bc "too much money" apparently so it will be interesting to see just how powerful it's gonna be.

MaDKaT

Nope, if anything PC gaming may get a bump. Iterative hardware is one of the reasons I left PC gaming for consoles. Consoles provided a single expense for 5-6 years which was ok for me for a device with a very narrow purpose. If this is the future, Ill just go back. Easier to swallow more frequent updates on devices with greater utility.

Honestly, I think it is, assuming of course that the rumors are true and that it is a more powerful PS4 capable of playing games at higher resolutions, framerates and/or quality levels. Obviously there are differences between console gaming and PC gaming, yet I think that at least some gamers who would normally build a PC at the later stages of the generation to enjoy better performance might now prefer to stay with the Playstation platform. Maybe some PC gamers might be enticed by a platform with the ease of use of a console combined with the performance of at least a current mid-range PC.

what? 4K gaming already on PC

Top Bottom