• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank - Review Thread

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Was Nexus as a ps4 launch title ever a possibility? Not that I'm complaining that the game was made because I love it, but yeah it came out at an awful time and I'm not sure how that happened.

This got discussed briefly at one point. But the problem really was that the PS3 and PS4 were completely different architectures, and our engine was built for PS3 and the game was super hooked into it.

We had the Fuse engine (which became the Sunset Overdrive engine and now the engine powering this Ratchet and Clank) - but I don't think we could've had it ready to ship something on PS4.

So basically a combo of our Engine work happening all on Sunset, and the game being so hooked into PS3, made it not really possible to pull off.

The bummer is of course hat lots of people never played Nexus, which has a fun story and vibe, and great characters (Neftin - who even is referenced in the movie, thanks for playing Nexus!)

Interesting. Figured that's how it went but glad the game was still made. Framerate aside the combat was very refined and fun, and yeah I loved the new characters.

Cyborg

Just to support it I will buy it. I had/have no intrest in this game but let me support this great scoring game!

Plum

Well these reviews cement it, I'll get this as the perfect stop-gap between DaS3 and Uncharted. I've missed shortish games that aren't just open world checklist simulators (not that they're bad in themselves, just variety is always good).

PK Gaming

spider-man-3-dancing.gif

The boys are back in town

Hanmik

This got discussed briefly at one point. But the problem really was that the PS3 and PS4 were completely different architectures, and our engine was built for PS3 and the game was super hooked into it.

We had the Fuse engine (which became the Sunset Overdrive engine and now the engine powering this Ratchet and Clank) - but I don't think we could've had it ready to ship something on PS4.

So basically a combo of our Engine work happening all on Sunset, and the game being so hooked into PS3, made it not really possible to pull off.

The bummer is of course hat lots of people never played Nexus, which has a fun story and vibe, and great characters (Neftin - who even is referenced in the movie, thanks for playing Nexus!)

So FUSE made this game possible..? bless FUSE then..

Struct09

Didn't expect the game to review so well. Ordered from Amazon, but it's going to have to wait until I get some quality Dark Souls 3 time in.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I dont want to buy another game already but after watching some of the trailers and now seeing the reviews I may just have to go use my Best Buy gift card to get this game.

TheWorst

Glad it's reviewing well. Hope sales are decent, as I'd love to see more games like this.

Still feel like the film is going to be trash. :p

I knew it was going to be a great game but I'm still surprised to see how positive the reviews have been. Congrats to the team and I hope it means good sales for them, too.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Pleasantly surprised at this game reviewing well so far. Happy for the good people at Insomniac Games.

Bought. Looks amazing and the reviews are great, plus it's only $35! Can't wait! I love the first three R&C games and the early PS3 ones. Graphics look incredible.

eFKac

So those visuals are basically running from a multiplatform engine? You put other devs to shame then, very impressive stuff!

Makes me if a fine tuned PS4 engine could surpass that noticeably, guess we'll never know.

NZerker12

Ughhh!!! I don't know whether I should just be patient and wait to the 22nd or just cancel my preorder and make a US PSN account.

Seriously the wait for the UK is fucking stupid.

Nice reviews. Not a huge fan of R&C games, but at that price... I can't say no.

I would love a similar kind of reboot for the Resistance franchise.

Papacheeks

Banned
Didn't expect the reviews to be this positive. I figured this would be getting 7's mostly.

Wow? Really?

Seeing you and others having little faith in Insomniac is really disheartening.

They are a great studio, that have had a couple of bad ratchet games that were not really ratchet.

But if you look at their track record their pretty damn solid as a studio. Have some of the best animators.

Hedrush

Ughhh!!! I don't know whether I should just be patient and wait to the 22nd or just cancel my preorder and make a US PSN account.

Seriously the wait for the UK is fucking stupid.

2 week wait is brutal man. I got it from the US store via $40 of PSN digital codes bought from Amazon

Papacheeks

Banned
Reading it now why is everyone so shocked at the good reviews?

It's like people wanted this game to be bad or something?

Top Bottom