• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank - Review Thread

icespide

Banned
You're kidding?

Or maybe you don't have kids?

I've seen the game advertised alongside the movie -everywhere- for the past 6 months or so now.
(Movie theaters, Disney channel, etc.)

yeah no kids. you're right though I guess they are promoting it just not anywhere I would see it. this is good to hear, I'm glad sony isn't ignoring it

chur

Thought this games was going to be $60. This just became a day 1 purchase for me. Glad to see the positive reviews too.

Dominator

Picking this and Dark Souls 3 up tomorrow, gonna play this bad boy first. I love this series, can't wait.

If it does well, I wonder if Sony will do a remake of Sly when that movie comes out. I love Sly 1, but it's incredibly easy and short. I think a lot can be done with a full remake for that game.

q6Ipxeq.gif

my amazon copy is shipping omg

That gif... Isn't that exactly the same little dance Daxter sometimes does in J&D when you get a power cell?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Those are some glowing reviews. Maybe I won't wait for a sale after all...

reKon

Banned
I still think it would have been brilliant for Insomniac to bring back multiplayer by doing a smash up of Starhawks base building mechanics + Up your Aresenal multiplayer game play.

Sanctuary

Normally don't care too much about games like this anymore, but this looks pretty amazing. Will probably pick it up sometime over the summer.

EBreda

Why would there be coop in this? I understand All for One had it, but this is a traditional Ratchet game.

Cause it's fun to play this kind of games in coop?
"Traditional ratchet game" does not mean a coop mode shouldnt exist. Lots of games were single player only till coop was added on sequels.

Ra1den

I remember later levels of the original game(s) were pretty tough, yet the more recent ones have all been fairly easy. I'm not sure if thats because I've gotten better or if the games are in fact easier.

Either way, I'll play on hard, minor difference or not.

The first playthroughs tend to be fine in my opinion. The problem is that repeated playthroughs, even on the highest difficulty settings, are far too easy. The reason for this is that Insomniac does a poor job scaling up the difficulty to match your improved gear. So you pretty much walk through them killing everything with little problem.

It's fun to feel like a badass, but why not also give some difficulty settings that still pose a challenge even with maxed out gear?

jayu26

Cause it's fun to play this kind of games in coop?
"Traditional ratchet game" does not mean a coop mode shouldnt exist. Lots of games were single player only till coop was added on sequels.

If you want a good coop game on PS4 then play Helldivers. My philosophy is that games should focus on their strengths instead of tacking on modes that are not their core focus. All for One experiment was the right thing to do because that game completely focused on coop. It didn't work, but it was better than trying to add it into something like A Crack in Time.

Holy shit, 8+ on the french website Gamekult, I expected less (like 7 or 6+) given their reputation, damn this game seems to be a true masterpiece when I see so many good reviews, can't wait to play it and see the movie!

Walpurgis

Banned
Wow. I did not expect such high reviews. I was a little worried because of the late embargo. Amazon says that it's in my mailbox. I guess I should go and get it.

This is the gen where 86 = holy shit, lol...

Very good scores though. Can't wait to play this tomorrow

Reviewers have finally become tougher and more and more sites are moving away from a 100 point scale to a 5 or 10 point scale. That later leads to a lot of great games getting between 8-9 on metacritic because that is how 4 and 4 1/2 stars out 5 gets converted on aggregate sites. Basically the 9 to 10 (or 90 to 100) range has been nearly completely eroded, because the only score higher than a 9 for many sites is a 10.

I wasn't so optimistic about the scores before the embargo but damn this game has so many high scores! I should really try it now.

Wow, lots of great reviews.

Amazon shipped my copy of this and Dark Souls III a bit ago. Man, two great games in one day. Pretty awesome.

Late Flag

Wow. This game was not even on my radar screen, and now it's probably on my "must buy" list after Dark Souls and Uncharted.

Elfstruck

I swear I never get lucky with Amazon. My friends already received their copy from them, yet my copy won't arrive until tomorrow afternoon.....

I thought the game was only five hours? What's up with all these good scores?!

Kidding. Scores as I expected. Hope they market the hell out of this. Bundles too please.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah. It's from Going Commando. The PS2 Ratchets used the same engine as Jak and Daxter and there's always been little nods between the two series back then.

Both studios used to be housed not only in the same building, but the same office, with literally ND and Insomniac desks next to one another, with the games being developed side by side. Naturally there was asset sharing as a result, and friendly nods as you mentioned.

My order is "Ready to pick up" at Best Buy. Anyone have any luck with this before release day? I have a feeling it would be a waste of time :/

Top Bottom