• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank - Review Thread

Bandit1

Really glad to see all these high scores, hopefully it does well in sales and in theaters so we can get some more Ratchet and Clank!

ZeroX03

Banned
Reading it now why is everyone so shocked at the good reviews?

It's like people wanted this game to be bad or something?

There was all sorts of weird hysteria induced by the game. People freaked at the $40 price tag. One Gaffer reported beating the game in five hours (and they said that was a barebones run and people didn't listen) and people freaked. Maybe because it's a reboot or a movie tie in, but people were really paranoid about a game that was about as safe as a bet you could get. People just looking for reasons to panic.

icespide

Banned
I'm really happy about great reviews, but releasing the same day as Dark Souls 3 + Sony acting like the game doesn't exist does not fill me with confidence about sales potential :(

cheesekao

I'm really happy about great reviews, but releasing the same day as Dark Souls 3 + Sony acting like the game doesn't exist does not fill me with confidence about sales potential :(
People have reported seeing ads for the movie+game on nick,disney and CN, their twitter has been retweeting R&C stuff, the PSBlog has an R&C banner and the story trailer has almost reached 6 million views. I'd say people are pretty aware of it.

Asd202

The biggest thing this game has for it is the movie tie-in, could lead to some legs on sales thanks to accessible price tag and overall high quality. It's a great game to pick up for kids/early teens. We should remain hopeful.

People have reported seeing ads for the movie+game on nick,disney and CN, the PSBlog has an R&C banner and the story trailer has almost reached 6 million views. I'd say people are pretty aware of it.

That's good, really good.

The biggest thing this game has for it is the movie tie-in, could lead to some legs on sales thanks to accessible price tag and overall high quality. It's a great game to pick up for kids/early teens. We should remain hopeful.

I'm very curious as to how this works out.

If it does well it could very well be a precedent for other similar games going for the Toy Story demographic (that fits in kids and adults at the same time).

I wonder when the movie comes on BluRay they could sell the game and movie as a pack-in too?

Maybe even Insomniac could entice publishers of movies to send them their games IP for pack-in movies/games combos too?

As long as the budget is large enough, I imagine Insomniac could deliver compelling experiences based on Dreamworks/Pixar movies.

C223bkI.gif

GHG

Wow, amazing reviews. Much better than I thought they would be.

Knack 2 has a lot to live up to now.

My copy is ready to pickup at Best Buy! Getting both this and Dark Souls 3 on a Monday, this is great and never happened before.

Asd202

I'm very curious as to how this works out.

I wonder when the movie comes on BluRay they could sell the game and movie as a pack-in too?

They should at least give a flyer with game information in the BluRay or something and commercials at the theaters ofc. The pack-in is a great idea too, don't know if it's possible though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have a feeling this will sell very, very well. It is lighting up the Amazon charts, and has been for several weeks. It has a great price point at $40 ($32 GCU/Prime). It is being very well received/reviewed. The movie comes out a month later, which will surely give it another wind for those going to see it. Then the Blu-ray will come out, the game will be cheaper by then $20-30 new, which will also have the impulse effect for both of them.

It will be successful, and deserves every bit of it. Traditional fun gaming at it's finest.

icespide

Banned
I have a feeling this will sell very, very well. It is lighting up the Amazon charts, and has been for several weeks. It has a great price point at $40 ($32 GCU/Prime). The movie comes out a month later, which will surely give it another wind for those going to see it. Then the Blu-ray will come out, the game will be cheaper by then $20-30 new, which will also have the impulse effect for both of them.

It will be successful, and deserves every bit of it. Traditional fun gaming at it's finest.

I wonder if a sequel for the game depends on if we get a sequel for the movie

Holy shit at those reviews. I was expecting good things across the board, but that's just an overflowing wave of positivity. Pre-ordered it a few days ago so I should be in for a treat, but I think I'll have to play the HD collection first.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wonder if a sequel for the game depends on if we get a sequel for the movie

I sure hope not. If the game sells enough to warrant a sequel, and the movie does not perform what they are hoping, then it should have no bearing on the game.

We will have to wait and see the budget when it hits box office to get a better scope of the movie's success.

FoM's multiplayer
R2's co-op
R3's campaign

Dream FPS

If they do all 3 scenarios in a Resistance Reboot. Just take my money right now. I will pre-order years in advance, lol.

Wow? Really?

Seeing you and others having little faith in Insomniac is really disheartening.

They are a great studio, that have had a couple of bad ratchet games that were not really ratchet.

But if you look at their track record their pretty damn solid as a studio. Have some of the best animators.
I think most of the "wow, great scores" reactions come from the fact that gaming media seems to be somewhat jaded towards kid-ish, cute, platformers. At least IMO. So seeing it get great reviews is incredibly refreshing.

Tuck

Never change, Insomniac. I can't fathom how such a generally competent developer struggles to add meaningful extra difficulty levels for repeated playthroughs.

I remember later levels of the original game(s) were pretty tough, yet the more recent ones have all been fairly easy. I'm not sure if thats because I've gotten better or if the games are in fact easier.

Either way, I'll play on hard, minor difference or not.

MisterR

People have reported seeing ads for the movie+game on nick,disney and CN, their twitter has been retweeting R&C stuff, the PSBlog has an R&C banner and the story trailer has almost reached 6 million views. I'd say people are pretty aware of it.

I have an 8 year old son, and I can confirm. They have been running ads frequently on the shows he watches.

GeeTeeCee

That's a damn fine set of review scores. The original is one of my top 5 games of all time, and it's good to see the remake getting the praise it deserves. Well done Insomniac.

Roll on the 22nd. With DS3 tomorrow this is the one time I'm happy about the UK getting a game late, as it gives R&C a little breathing room over here. I hope Sony give this the marketing it deserves.

Elandyll

Banned
You're kidding?

Or maybe you don't have kids?

I've seen the game advertised alongside the movie -everywhere- for the past 6 months or so now.
(Movie theaters, Disney channel, etc.)

reKon

Banned
Picked it up as soon as the reviews came in. Man, I haven't played a ratchet game since Up Your Arsenal. Excited.

That's a shame because Ratchet:ACiT is the best Ratchet and Clank game in the series and one of the best single player campaign experiences last gen (played on hard)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You're kidding?

Or maybe you don't have kids?

I've seen the game advertised alongside the movie -everywhere- for the past 6 months or so now.
(Movie theaters, Disney channel, etc.)

I don't have kids, and I seen it shown during a commercial on XD when I was watching the Rebels finale on my Vue trial.

Top Bottom