• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Fuck MJ, Peter should be a swinging single. Or Silk

silk-spiderman-spiderverse1.jpg

Disgusting. Next you are going to tell me MJ should be with Iron Man.

Madness

I pray for this as well

If they time it well with success and marketing of the new reboot movie sure. I think the fact they are one of the best developers around helps it. Means you're getting an AAA game and not some licensed movie tie in junk. A lot of Arkham success was also tied to rejuvenation of Batman by Nolan's movies.

I still remember SpiderMan 2 back in the day. Still consider it second to Arkham Asylum/Arkham City as best superhero game tie in.

Flipyap

Fuck MJ, Peter should be a swinging single. Or Silk
Yeah, no. Spider-Man's relationships are supposed to make his life more complicated (I think some dude once said something about responsibility or whatever). There's no pathos in Spider-Man banging superheroes.

Neoxon

The ones with addresses are the major buildings that Insomniac should cover in the game (without pissing off Marvel, of course).

jQRGG3B.jpg

• The one with Cap is the address for Avengers Mansion.
  • The one with Iron Man is the address for Stark Tower, now Avengers Tower.
  • Doctor Strange's address is the Sanctum Sanctorum.
  • Luke Cage is now stationed in Harlem in the MCU, which is behind Times Square. That said, we don't have a specific address for Luke Cage in the MCU, yet.
  • Nick Fury's address is the barber shop that has SHIELD's Upper East Side HQ hidden underneath it.
  • The one with Spider-Man is for the Daily Bugle (which will obviously be shown in this game).
  • Marvel Comics HQ doesn't really need an explanation.
  • As far as Daredevil is concerned, I could see them putting buildings for the New York Bulletin as well as the complex that houses the Nelson & Murdock office.

Marvel legally has the rights to give developers access to their entire cast of characters thanks to Activision's hold on certain franchises (the X-Men for example) expiring back in 2014. The only license Activision has left is the Spider-Man movie tie-in license, which expires next year. This isn't a matter of Marvel not being able to use X-Men & Fantastic Four characters, it's the fact that they don't want to. Marvel's been trying to minimize the exposure of the X-Men & the Fantastic Four in an attempt to lower the popularity of both properties (which would in turn screw over Fox). Within the last few years, Marvel has had a bit of a feud with 20th Century Fox over the properties they still hold the movie rights for (the X-Men & the Fantastic Four). It grew to the point where, after the release of Marvel: Contest of Champions (the mobile Injustice knock-off by Kablam), Marvel imposed a complete ban on all X-Men & Fantastic Four characters in games made after Contest of Champions. One of the first victims of the ban was Marvel Mighty Heroes, whose developer (DeNA) had this to say on the matter.

mmh.png

To clarify what this ban means....
  • As stated earlier, all new games made after Contest of Champions are not allowed to use any X-Men & Fantastic Four characters. This includes the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Cyclops, Jean Grey/Phoenix, X-23, Storm, Magneto, Super-Skrull, Sentinel, & more.
  • Games made before the ban with active contracts, like Marvel Heroes (the PC MMO), can add whoever they want until their current contracts expires (Ex: Gazillion's existing contract with Marvel expires in 2019).
  • Remasters &/or ports of older games can be re-released untouched (Ex: The Deadpool remaster for PS4 & XB1).
  • The Maximoff Twins, Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) & Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff), are only allowed on a case-by-case basis (Ex: Lego Marvel's Avengers). Only their comic book & MCU incarnations can be used in the event that Marvel allows a developer to use one or both of the Twins, & zero references to their X-Men history can be made. They've also been banned from games more times than not, but their inclusion in certain games isn't impossible.
As for the timeline on how this has affected post-CoC games...
  • Avengers Alliance 2: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Avengers Academy: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Lego Marvel's Avengers: The Maximoff Twins are present, No X-Men, No Fantastic Four
  • Marvel Mighty Heroes: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Marvel Future Fight: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
I hope this clears things up a bit.

I want to die.

C-Drive

I actually kind of wish, with this being Sony exclusive for the time being, that this was a universe where it was pretty much only Spider-man characters and villains - no crossovers with the rest of the Marvel Universe. The whole "older" Peter Parker thing being a Peter that's been protecting this New York primarily all by himself for his career.

I actually kind of wish, with this being Sony exclusive for the time being, that this was a universe where it was pretty much only Spider-man characters and villains - no crossovers with the rest of the Marvel Universe. The whole "older" Peter Parker thing being a Peter that's been protecting this New York primarily all by himself for his career.

I agree. While I don't mind hints of other heroes, the trailer gave me a matured and less cringey vibe of the Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2 movie. Especially with the voice over and music.

I wouldn't mind if there are other heroes in the city, but it has to be minimalistic and focused squarely on Spidey. That's what made Spider-Man 2 as a video game so fun as the stakes were high and set him apart from the others. In Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2000, Shattered Dimensions and Web of Shadows which are arguably his other best non-movie tie-in games, it felt like "why aren't the others helping him?".

Best wishes.

DrBo42

I agree. While I don't mind hints of other heroes, the trailer gave me a matured and less cringey vibe of the Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2 movie. Especially with the voice over and music.

I wouldn't mind if there are other heroes in the city, but it has to be minimalistic and focused squarely on Spidey. That's what made Spider-Man 2 as a video game so fun as the stakes were high and set him apart from the others. In Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2000, Shattered Dimensions and Web of Shadows which are arguably his other best non-movie tie-in games, it felt like "why aren't the others helping him?".

Best wishes.

Yeah a minimal approach is nice. I like how they're handling it in the netflix shows. They do pitch in and help but it doesn't feel suffocating. At least not yet.

TimFL

... with this being Sony exclusive for the time being...

It'll be a permanent Sony exclusive franchise afaik. There is a recent Marvel Games interview out there (where they detail their console games plans, no new games mentioned though) that mentions that this is the only Spidey franchise they'll have and that it'll stay exclusive to Sony and Insomniac.

RK128

I wonder how far along they are since they've said this is gameplay

Hopefully a simultanious release with the Homecoming movie

I think that Insomniac started working on this since 2014. Note how Marvel said they give studios a lot of time to develop titles with them now; I could see this stating production after Sunset Overdrive came out.

A smaller team at Insomniac working on DLC for SO while the team that normally makes the Ratchet games worked on the PS4 title in the series. When the game was pushed to 2016, they might of down-sized the team a bit to put more resources into Spider-Man and their VR projects.

This could be proven by how toward the end of the games development, smaller teams at Insomniac did the last batch of work on the PS4 Ratchet game, noted during the games post-mortem.

I could see Insomniac working on Spider-Man as a complete studio (with some team members working on VR games and smaller titles like Song of the Deep) as of Early 2016, considering many projects are done or wrapping up in the case of Song of the Deep & Edge of Nowhere.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So of that list I put up, how many of those buildings do you guys think will be represented in this game?

Well it depends if we see other Marvel characters outside of Spider's normal roster. I could see some shout outs but actually seeing Avenger Tower? Who knows, seems like it might be a stretch but not sure how broad a net this game is casting.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think that Insomniac started working on this since 2014. Note how Marvel said they give studios a lot of time to develop titles with them now; I could see this stating production after Sunset Overdrive came out.

A smaller team at Insomniac working on DLC for SO while the team that normally makes the Ratchet games worked on the PS4 title in the series. When the game was pushed to 2016, they might of down-sized the team a bit to put more resources into Spider-Man and their VR projects.

This could be proven by how toward the end of the games development, smaller teams at Insomniac did the last batch of work on the PS4 Ratchet game, noted during the games post-mortem.

I could see Insomniac working on Spider-Man as a complete studio (with some team members working on VR games and smaller titles like Song of the Deep) as of Early 2016, considering many projects are done or wrapping up in the case of Song of the Deep & Edge of Nowhere.

It also wouldn't surprise me if work on Ratchet PS4 wrapped up sooner than usual, considering that I think the game was held back a little to time it with the film's release. I could see Insomniac winding down the Ratchet PS4 team (a skeleton crew polishing things up), while moving pieces of their Burbank and Carolina studios to more work on Spider-Man. I also think this game has been in development since 2014. When in 2014 I don't know, but I can imagine a small team conceptualizing it, building it out, and as projects like Sunset Overdrive wrapped up, more and more people were put on it, balancing between Ratchet, Spider-Man, and their smaller titles.

A vertical slice is one thing, but the trailer for Spider-Man looked insanely polished. A lot of visual effects and post processing that probably wouldn't be that present until later in the development cycle. I'm confident it will hit 2017. I'd personally love a Q1/Q2 2017 release, but if it falls to Q3/Q4 2017, I wouldn't be surprised. I definitely think this game stole the show, and not just as a diehard Spidey fan, I just think it came out of nowhere, especially Insomniac's involvement, and after the stellar Ratchet and Clank PS4 game, more and more people are now keeping Insomniac on their radar (as they should have for a long time now anyway :p).

It'll be a permanent Sony exclusive franchise afaik. There is a recent Marvel Games interview out there (where they detail their console games plans, no new games mentioned though) that mentions that this is the only Spidey franchise they'll have and that it'll stay exclusive to Sony and Insomniac.

Let them dream.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
New suit is awesome.

Haters be damned.

2016-06-1722_56_13-zadqu1p.png

So is this just for the trailer or is it the new Spider-Man Theme? I hope it is, it's epic.

Just for the trailer.

Twelve Titans is a trailer music company who compose music for trailers and advertising.

Sn4ke_911

How awesome would it be if the game had a first person mode like in GTAV? Or maybe just a few VR missions?

Do it Insomniac!

ClDZf_cVEAAm7VV.jpg

The devs implied it would have spider-man 2 swinging and people got thirsty.

As you can see in the video, it's still not as good.

That's why I bought it. I was so disappointed because it had no momentum or good physics and a lot of times your webs wouldn't shoot out until you were really close to the ground. If Insomniac gets it right they have my torch, but I honestly don't have faith in any dev to not botch it in some way. They need to just copy it wholesale from Spider-Man 2 including the wall-running, sprinting, and jump charging to keep it simple.

I really hope they just call it Spider-Man

I know the temptation to add a subtitle is great, but just have the Spider-Man logo and the word "Spider-Man" on the box and that's it.

Sn4ke_911

I really hope they just call it Spider-Man

I know the temptation to add a subtitle is great, but just have the Spider-Man logo and the word "Spider-Man" on the box and that's it.

Not sure about the boxart just being the logo but yeah i agree just call it "Spider-Man".

CCIE

Banned
I'm thinking late 2017.. Spider-Man and GoW on Neo to mitigate the impact of Scorpio. That is what I would do if I were Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom