• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony likely saved about $15 by not including a UHD drive in PS4 Pro.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
How many people in the market care about a slightly better PS4?

Probably quite a bit more than the amount of people who were waiting on this device for its ability to play UHD Blu-rays...

Hop over to the other side if UHD Blu-ray is the defining feature of this console generation in your mind. I just have a hard time believing that any more than ~5% really care.

So the extra $100 is for the GPU bump. That's it. Everything else is the same.

Did the 1TB hard drive get axed? Did they not have to make some changes with regard to cooling to accommodate the new hardware? Or is this literally just a ps4 popped open with a different GPU put in place of the old one?

latest
I understood the reference.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We need an estimate on how much the pro costs for building.

IIRC the 2TB XB1S costs 324 dollars for MS per unit.

We are likely in the dark for this until it releases.

So MS will be losing money on each Xbox One S sold?

daveo42

Banned
burned

what about the future when games are put on UHD discs?

That'll be the PS5, if physical media is still something most consumers want to begin with. Sony has said many times that PS4 and Pro are the same hardware cycle and that parity will exist between them. Having UHD discs makes no sense unless Sony wanted to let devs make PS4 Pro exclusive games. It's just not happening.

Davide

Exponentially more than how many people care about UHD blu-rays.
I really doubt that.

Hop over to the other side if UHD Blu-ray is the defining feature of this console generation in your mind. I just have a hard time believing that any more than ~5% really care.
It's not the deciding factor for me, but when the Scorpio will be much more powerful, it doesn't help at all. And I never wanted to go back to Xbox a year ago. PS4 has many more cons over the Scorpio at this point. Also PS+ going up to $70 in Canada. It looks like it will make more sense for me for Xbox to become my main multimedia console/player while keeping my old PS4 for exclusives.

MazeHaze

Banned
Did you ever consider that they're passing the savings onto you by ignoring movies and television? It's 4 the Players and not 4 the Watchers, you fucking ingrates.

Then what was all the praising of 4k HDR tv's and bragging about how many hours of netflix you could watch in 4k on it?

You know at first I was pretty upset, than I realized I have maybe only used a blue ray movie 5 or 6 times on my ps4, and I have about 15 blue ray movies.

So, yeah it sucks , but man I hardly use the thing. And not not to mention I have zero uhd movies and I lack a 4k tv.

ViciousDS

Banned
4K doesn't matter to the majority of people yet either.

How easy is it stream 4K HDR films?

I can tell you already that youtube was chugging at some points just playing the 4k video......now imagine more then one device in a house trying to stream 4k...along with other content and users at the same time.....its going to fucking buffer like crazy.

We are not ready for 4k streaming future for a household.

SURGEdude

Hey OP can you post how much all the other guts in the thing cost as well? Since everything else will add up to exactly $399 it'd be cool to see it spelled out.

I extrapolated from the best example we have. Namely the XB1 vs S. No need to be snarky, I used plenty of qualifiers. It's a rough estimate that is hardly concrete but does shed some light on the issue.

MazeHaze

Banned
You know at first I was pretty upset, than I realized I have maybe only used a blue ray movie 5 or 6 times on my ps4, and I have about 15 blue ray movies.

So, yeah it sucks , but man I hardly use the thing. And not not to mention I have zero uhd movies and I lack a 4k tv.

That's a problem though. If you owned a 4k tv you would know that currently the only other way to watch 4k is to stream it, and streaming on a 4k display makes the compression artifacts of video streams more apparent. If you owned a 4k tv, you would care, plain and simple.

There are so many posts on here that are "dont care, don't own a 4k tv." That's like saying in 2006 about blu ray "don't care, dvds look fine on my crt tv."

Dunlop

I would love to see the numbers on people with 4K tvs and internet speeds less than 25 megabits per second.

According to Akamai's State of the Internet report for the third quarter, the average worldwide Internet speed is a paltry 5.1 Mbps—DSL territory (for downloads, at least).

n the United States, specifically, Akamai noted that 80 percent of Internet users had an average connection speed faster than 4 Mbps. Bump up to 10 Mbps, and the percent drops nearly to half (46 percent). Only one-fourth of the users Akamai analyzed had Internet speeds that were faster than 15 Mbps.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2496861,00.asp

I can get a gigabit connection where I live but a majority of people in the country cannot stream 4K broadcast, ignoring the fact that many also have datacaps

platocplx

Does the xbox one and ps4 use identical drives? I think something is missing here. Especially when the systems are different sizes and laid out differently.

LifeLike

Who the fuck buy Blu-rays anyway???
The only thing I've inserted in my PS4 in the past 4 years are the games.
If Netflix and other streaming services offers 4k, I don't see any problems here.

sense

Math didnt work out so well for the Vita, did it?
For all we know it did, just not in any meaningful way for them to keep supporting it. They wouldn't still be selling it if the device was losing money. The high attach rate and proprietary memory probably made them profit. If you are talking number of units then sure it is big failure.

All I am saying is looking at things from a business point of view, they are most likely going to make out great with the ps4 pro and tide the sales until ps5 which will likely arrive in 2018 to compete with Scorpio now that they have continuously said they are not starting a new generation with ps4 pro and made no efforts to bump up the specs. People buying a ps4 for the first time will just see the 100 difference and say they might as well pick up the pro and people that already have a ps4 can either wait for a bigger jump in ps5 or buy the pro. For the price conscious there is the slim ps4. All of them designed to be profitable from the get go.

Toki767

The PS4 and the PS4 Pro share the samee games. So will Xbox One and Scorpio. So why not the consoles after the Scorpio and PS4 Pro? I thought this was the magic sauce going forward.

PS5 will probably play PS4 games.

PS4 will not play PS5 games.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Did the 1TB hard drive get axed? Did they not have to make some changes with regard to cooling to accommodate the new hardware? Or is this literally just a ps4 popped open with a different GPU put in place of the old one?

1TB drive? They cost fuck all and are already in PS4 consoles now that have great deals as is. This cost increase is obviously all based around the GPU bump. Which obviously includes all that comes along with that.

Cooling, power supply etc.

platocplx

One of the dumbest decisions in gaming is not including a uhd Blu-ray player to play movies.

Lol the hyperbole is real.
Right? Lmao. Im sure sony did research and saw most people prefer streaming and are gearing thw console towards that.

I haven't bought a blu ray in 3 years and all thw blu rays i have i dont even watch.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It's not the deciding factor for me, but when the Scorpio will be much more powerful, it doesn't help at all. And I never wanted to go back to Xbox a year ago.

Fair enough. The power is the crux of the whole issue here, isn't it? If Scorpio's flops already had someone's interest, I sincerely doubt what the PS4 Pro could/couldn't do with blu-rays was going to sway that someone's opinion.

Remember that the Scorpio being a sales monster is not set in stone. The majority of console owners base purchases on money, and Sony isn't going to let next holiday season go without doing SOMETHING (e.g. Slim pro revision for $299 or $349 with a couple games).

I don't think either iterative console will be a sales monster. Base models will continue to be the respective sales monsters of each platform. At least until the next "generation" or "iteration" (depending on how things proceed with new consoles).

SURGEdude

"Only"

I hope you know how ridiculous that sounds.

In the context of major components it is a small part. I realize $15 spread over millions of consoles isn't insignificant. But then why did they bother to spend more on a better wifi chip? Or spend the R&D on a new case when they could have saved millions using a special color and keeping the old design plus better cooling.

Everything ads up, it just depends on where you draw the line. I tend to think this is a mistake, you might disagree. But even if you do no need to assume I have no clue about manufacturing costs and how companies will work to shave every penny they can.

The key is you shave off where you can get away with it. Boosting the appeal and viability of the format seems worth it. Some don't agree. Fine.

Top Bottom