• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony likely saved about $15 by not including a UHD drive in PS4 Pro.

I don't think either iterative console will be a sales monster. Base models will continue to be the respective sales monsters of each platform. At least until the next "generation" or "iteration" (depending on how things proceed with new consoles).

I think there will be alot more people interested in jumping from an Xbox One to a Scorpio than from PS4 to PS4 Pro. Reason being the lackluster performance of XBox One games compared to PS4. For them going from 720p in Battlefield to 1080p/4K will be a huge difference.

Audioboxer

It's hilarious how, after generations of PlayStations always touting multimedia features, suddenly it's all about the games.

All multimedia functionality now stops on the PS4? Blu Ray discs which make up far more of the market than UHD also stop?

There's still decent multimedia functionality, it was just never as good as XB1 from day one. Largely because it was all about games out of the gate and that is why Sony are so far ahead of MS.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I guess a lot of you buy UHD blurays?
The format is barely 6 months old, but I've started buying 4K Blurays of new releases if they've been finished in 4K. I'd buy re-releases of my favorite films if they were in 4K as well.

I appreciate the quality, it's basically like owning a master print of the film.

Im extremely disappointed in lack of UHD but in all honesty, I am willing to bet the majority of consumers today don't even own a 4k TV considering they are still going for $1000+.

Most people cant even stream Youtube, Netflix, etc at 4K so I can see that as being a key factor in determining whether to include a UHD drive.

It will be close to a decade before the majority of consumers have a 4K tv....

You guys are missing the point.

Sony has been making 4K tvs since 2013, they just announced their "Premium PS4" in 2016 and it doesn't have 4K bluray drive which is ridiculous.

Even Microsoft their competitor who doesn't make tvs has a 4k drive LOL

I'm sorry, but are you really pushing better cooling as a selling point? lol, fuckouttahere. Yea, it's got a better gpu and more cpu. Functionally for owners, that's all it is. It'll make some games look better on tv's that can appreciate it. It would have only made sense for it to go the next step and support movies at the same resolution. If Microsoft can do it, so can Sony.

You can bet your ass that the next revision of the "Pro" will actually befitting the name and have this feature. This is an embarrassing miss. Not everything needs a goddamn defense force.

Better GPU, 1 TB drive, 1080p Remote Play, 1080p Share Play, and dual band wifi are all of the differences from the PS4 to the Pro. The Slim also has the dual band wifi, but not the 1080p Remote and Share Play.

Snaku

Banned
Well this is a games console, it's not a movie box. Sony have always maintained its #4theplayers not #4themoviebuffs.

Bullshit. Without the PS2 shoving DVD down people's throats, the format never would have caught on as fast as it did. PS3 tried to do it again with Blu-Ray.

Squire

Banned
They let $15 prevent it?

tumblr_maqbfpb17x1qduy16o1_500.gif

It was proposed in the other thread that they didn't put the drive in so as not to cannibalize their dedicated UHD player releasing next year. It's the only reason that makes any sense.

bryanee

You can't judge people's opinions, dude.

UHD might not be a major selling point but if someone wasn't really sure about one or the other it's a difference. The XB1 S at $100 cheaper with that extra feature isn't a good look for sony.

A $100 cheaper and not nearly as powerful.

Cidd

it's hilarious I bet 90% of people posting in here don't even use BluRay much less UHD BluRay. But let the hyperbole carry on LOL.

Bullshit. Without the PS2 shoving DVD down people's throats, the format never would have caught on as fast as it did. PS3 tried to do it again with Blu-Ray.

Tried? It did push Blu-Ray but streaming has taken physical media by storm, in music and in movies. Soooo???

Hedrush

It's a movie box when they want it to be a movie box.

When was that?

Look I understand people are pissed it has no uhd Blu-ray player to play 4K movies but if that's what you really want there's lots of dedicated players out there. The PS4 to me has always been about the games not TV/movies, didn't microsoft get shit when they revealed the console and it was all TV/Movies orientated. Now all of a sudden people want it to be the PS4-Pro All in One Entertainment System from Sony.

I think they left UHD drive out of the PS4 Pro to make the PS5 look a little more enticing. Still, makes no sense, but whatever.

It was proposed in the other thread that they didn't put the drive in so as not to cannibalize their dedicated UHD player releasing next year. It's the only reason that makes any sense.

It's makes sense business wise, but damn that's shitty for the consumer.

SURGEdude

I guess a lot of you buy UHD blurays?

Not a single one. Don't have a 4K tv either. But that doesn't prohibit me from having an opinion. I don't a new 3DS either but I can still posit that Nintendo didn't do enough to differentiate it from it's predecessor.

I think there will be alot more people interested in jumping from an Xbox One to a Scorpio than from PS4 to PS4 Pro. Reason being the lackluster performance of XBox One games compared to PS4. For them going from 720p in Battlefield to 1080p/4K will be a huge difference.

Sure - but again, the base models will still continue to be the "sales monsters". I'm not saying either of the iterative consoles won't sell well/be successful (I think they will).

teiresias

I guess so. Apparently, they were storing them on their shelves just waiting for the PS4 Pro so they could play them...

This is like saying someone that hasn't bought a PS4 yet must not really want one if they haven't been buying PS4 games the whole time they haven't owned one.

Nearly all (or maybe even all) UHD Blu-Ray releases right now also include a regular Blu-Ray so if one has any interest in potentially upgrading there's little reason not to buy the 4k version if the film is mastered to take advantage of the format and you don't mind the price premium. So I actually do own a few UHD movies that I can't actually play the 4k version of yet.

But please, continue making excuses for corporations.

it's hilarious I bet 90% of people posting in here don't even use BluRay much less UHD BluRay. But let the hyperbole carry on LOL.

Right. Its disappointing that it doesn't have it but none of this mattered before the XBOX One S was announced.. Shit, not even after it. There wasn't a bunch of threads saying ppl was holding off on the neo because of UHD, but the way today is going, you would of thought this was a new standard that Apple polarized and Sony is the first to reject it.

At least removing the Headphone jack which has had years of adoption is far much more concerning than a physical standard that's being outclassed by the easy access of digital media. It's cute though.

Streaming 4K content at this point is simply an unviable option for most people. Seriously, it chews up upwards of 30 GBs a hour. Physical media is still very important, and it highly disappoints me that Sony didn't include a 4K Blu-Ray drive.

opoth

Banned
No concern trolling here. I wanted and expected and waited for the Pro because I wanted UHD support for my first PS4. Persona 5 can wait for some price drops.

.JayZii

Banned
I think your version of history is a bit different than mine.

Everyone wanted DVDs because they were a big visual step up from VHS and had special features. PS2's were cheap DVD players that also could play games. You make it sound like DVDs rode the PS2's coattails to success, when it is actually the reverse.

PS3 tried to flip the formula, and it didn't work out nearly as well.

But maybe I dreamed all of that.

quest

Not Banned from OT
No and they weren't planning to. 95% don't have a 4K tv or even know what HDR is..

If your a big video file your not buying a PlayStation to hook up to your $ 8k of equipment!

Considering this generation will last another 3-4 years many will have a 4k tv befire the end. So having a player would be great to have for when they buy that tv. I can't imagine buying a 4k and not having a UHD bluray player to make use of it. Streaming is not going to cut it for 4k HDR.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
In all fairness to Sony, when they were planning this console in 2015, 4K adoption was effectively nil. So obviously couldn't justify the extra $20-$30 per unit at the scale they projected to sell.

Rephin

I think it's disappointing that there's no UHD in the Pro, but that isn't going to stop me from buying one. I didn't lament the lack of a Blu-ray drive in the Xbox 360, and it certainly didn't prevent me from enjoying the console for its intended purpose. If the lack of a UHD drive in the PS4 helped price the console at $399 and doesn't bankrupt the console manufacturer, I can deal with it.

Dunlop

To be fair, 15 dollars times 20 million units is a lot of lost revenue if you know the users won't be bothering. I don't have sales data and projections for 4k BR though..

And you care about Sony's profit per console why? They are already jacking up PS+ in 2 weeks as it is for a nice little money cusion

This is a consumer complaint, obviously they did it to make more money per unit

Why do they even need a separate player? The Playstation eco system is their most profitable area right now. Make PS4 that defacto player. They have a higher chance of selling PS4s than a dedicated device that serves only one purpose. I bought blurays because my PS3 already had the functionality. I wasn't going out to buy a separate player. Same thing with DVDs on my PS2. The money is in the movie sales, not the hardware sales. If they make people go out and buy a separate player, then many will just stay with what they already have.

vpance

That player's unit sales figures will range in the thousands though.

I think there's mainly 2 reasons behind it. Hitting the $399 price point without losing a dime, and subtlety suggesting owners to use their digital services for UHD movie offerings, because the latter is where the money is at, and theirs alone to reap instead of a Bluray consortium.

Saganator

Bullshit. Without the PS2 shoving DVD down people's throats, the format never would have caught on as fast as it did.

Sorry, but this just flat wrong. DVD vs VHS image quality sold itself, all someone had to do was glance at a TV playing a DVD and they were sold. Music being on CDs got everyone comfortable with the format, movies moving to disk was just the next step. PS2 might have been a lot of people's first DVD player, but DVD was gonna be big regardless of Playstation.

As the primary driver of Blu-ray and one of the main drivers of 4K, I find it hilarious that Sony chose to not support UHD with the PS4 Pro.

I mean really?

Why do they even need a separate player? The Playstation eco system is their most profitable area right now. Make PS4 that defacto player. They have a higher chance of selling PS4s than a dedicated device that serves only one purpose. I bought blurays because my PS3 already had the functionality. I wasn't going out to buy a separate player. Same thing with DVDs on my PS2. The money is in the movie sales, not the hardware sales. If they make people go out and buy a separate player, then many will just stay with what they already have.
Because PS4 Pro only costs $399, when they can charge $299 for a dedicated player and make bank.

Top Bottom