• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doesn't allow Fallout 4/Skyrim mods on PS4

leeh

No it doesn't it has to be approved for the XBO on the marketplace. Some work is done on it even if it is just testing and checking for nudity or ip stuff.
The official marketplace, same verification as done on PC for the same marketplace. No extra development work....

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Actually, it is. I was just forwarded this from a very strong source.

untitled-11nuc7.jpg

Oh, boy.

This better not be bullshit.

mcrommert

Banned
FYI, these were the reasons brought up a few months ago when they said mods would be delayed:

https://bethesda.net/#en/devnotes/cr...-for-uploading

"KNOWN ISSUES WITH PS4 MODS

PC textures are used. Memory and performance issues may occur. We are working with Sony on optimal texture exporting support in a future update.
Sound files are currently not supported. PS4 sound format is a proprietary format. We are working with Sony on sound file processing support in a future update.
PS4 Mod Storage limit is approximately 900 MB at present. Please do not upload mods larger than 900 MB. We are working with Sony to increase this limit."

Reposting for those that might be curious as to why.

Translation...sony's cloud infrastructure is a dumpster fire, they don't have proper scalability for storage size and they are barely keeping the lights on in psn much less supporting this.

Kind of feel sorry for Sony. There is no way they can keep up with MIcrosoft on cloud infrastructure...which seems to be Microsoft's big advantage this gen...in business cloud they are second only to amazon

untitled-11nuc7.jpg

If this is true, lol.
It's completely understandable that Sony would want to make sure they aren't allowing people to release massive amounts of content that crashes the system. Mods on console should be tested (not full on QA) and curated anyways.

Are mods crashing on Xbox One a crippling problem? I have four or five installed and haven't had any issues apart from it taking a bit longer to save games

Fucking hell, Sony is losing all goodwill made in the past few years at a rapid pace. I was really looking forward to mods in Fallout 4.

watership

this. People here are making a huge deal of this, as if mod support was a current beloved feature on consoles and now Sony decided to remove it.

It's a huge deal to some. The thing that's bothering people is that MS seems to be more consumer friendly the last few years in policy (cross platform play/ Crossbuy PC and Xbox) and features (BC etc). Yet the majority went with PS4 this gen. Sony knows that people mentally swing one way each generation. People swung with Sony, and Sony doesn't have to work to keep that.

untitled-11nuc7.jpg

1. Nothing about this screens "strong source" -- literally sounds like any random dude on a message board.

2. Players know that mods are a risk to game stability (or should, anyway... I know console gamers are way LTTP on this). They're made by fans, for fans, and your typical modder doesn't have a QA team at their disposal -- which is why mods are often updated frequently up to the point when the modder doesn't care anymore.

3. Considering the volume of mods and the near impossibility of paying people to do quality checks on them -- let alone ensuring compatibility with EVERY OTHER MOD -- I guess mods are forever banned on PlayStation, on any game, not just Bethesda. So really it comes back to being Sony's fault.

Wereroku

Are mods crashing on Xbox One a crippling problem? I have four or five installed and haven't had any issues apart from it taking a bit longer to save games

If you install the wrong ones together it will cause shit that's why Beth made it so you couldn't corrupt your unmodded save file. Just like on PC you can get 2 or more mods fighting with each other that can cause some dumpster fires.

mrg6290

lolwut, asking the dev to QA every single mod published for PS4 is absolutely ridiculous. If that's the stance Sony were gonna take they should've just refused from the start, it's practically impossible for any dev to comply.

Agreed. That's like trying to hold YouTube and others accountable for everything users upload. At best Bethesda could remove specific mods after they prove too problematic (like YouTube does w/ videos that are flagged).

Forcing them to do QA and checks upfront for user generated content is ridiculous. This is a bad look for Sony.

That being said, I'm not a huge mod consumer and don't understand the strong desire for them on console. But customers should be allowed to make up their own minds and not have corporations make decisions for them "to protect them" or whatever reason may be.

Psoelberg

Damn, this is so disappointing. I've been waiting to jump into fallout 4 again with mods. Haven't been playing it for 4 months. Oh well...

Am starting to consider a Xbox one s or scorpion. It looks more and more tempting.

Venom Fox

Banned
"Hello" + Bish's av is so terrifying haha
It's the moment of dread, when you know if your evidence doesn't stack up your seconds away from a permanent ban.

I usually get sniped from the shadows. I wish when you got banned it told you who by, so you could apologise for whatever you did.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Translation...sony's cloud infrastructure is a dumpster fire, they don't have proper scalability for storage size and they are barely keeping the lights on in psn much less supporting this.

Kind of feel sorry for Sony. There is no way they can keep up with MIcrosoft on cloud infrastructure...which seems to be Microsoft's big advantage this gen...in business cloud they are second only to amazon
What?
There's more issues than file sizes

Wereroku

1. Nothing about this screens "strong source" -- literally sounds like any random dude on a message board

2. Players know that mods are a risk to game stability (or should, anyway... I know console gamers are way LTTP on this). They're made by fans, for fans, and your typical modder doesn't have a QA team at their disposal -- which is why mods are often updated frequently up to the point when the modder doesn't care anymore.

3. Considering the volume of mods and the near impossibility of paying people to do quality checks on them, I guess mods are forever banned on PlayStation, on any game, not just Bethesda. So really it comes back to being Sony's fault.

It would explain why Beth wouldn't even release script mods that take a few kbs of space. I could see Sony being backwards enough to not allow untested mods on the system.

I'm actually surprised Microsoft is letting content on their system that hasn't been tested at all (assuming that chat log is legit).

The XBO has like 2 or 3 layers of virtual machines so I can see why they wouldn't care if there are mods just tinkering with the system. Even if the game portion crashes horribly it's not going to reveal anything about the other instances.

lolwut, asking the dev to QA every single mod published for PS4 is absolutely ridiculous. If that's the stance Sony were gonna take they should've just refused from the start, it's practically impossible for any dev to comply.

I'm actually surprised Microsoft is letting content onto their system that hasn't been tested at all (assuming that chat log is legit).

Translation...Sony wanted bethesda to qa every mod like a game and bethesda laughed in their face as they should - secondarily dude then shows his bias against bethesda

Yeah this is damning on Bethesda

Well in their defense Bethesda does release half baked buggy crash prone games. Why you'd want to increase the bugginess I dunno.

Hedrush

Does PES option files count as mods? Sony have no issue with those if so, which leads me to believe this is just Bethesda being Bethesda and the quality control just wasnt up to Sony standards. Disappointing either way.

Kalentan

While it is crazy that Sony apparently wanted them to QA all mods... At the same time tho I wonder if they fear they will get backlash against themselves (and not Bethseda), if a mod bricks the console.

Still sucks cause I wanted mods. D:

If you install the wrong ones together it will cause shit that's why Beth made it so you couldn't corrupt your unmodded save file. Just like on PC you can get 2 or more mods fighting with each other that can cause some dumpster fires.
I mean that's kind of the risk of mods though. If I remember it was spelled out pretty clearly that installing mods could affect the performance of the game.

This seems like Sony would make this demand from any developer, not just Bethesda.

Crayon

That conversation is just a little detail. It would show tat sony is not comfortable with mods and what they entail and microsoft is. Really changes nothing unless you thought sony had no reasoning whatsoever.

untitled-11nuc7.jpg

So basically still a Sony problem. A rational person can't honestly expect Bethesda to spend the thousands upon thousands of man hours checking every single mod out of the thousands over the entire course of the games lifespan.

Your "source" is not a good one.

_machine

Propriety audio means Bethesda doesn't want to pay.
I can't say for the other stuff, but given my experience with console publishing agreements and the like, giving access to anything that's part of the PS4 Dev Environment is not exactly something that would be available for a price, so that being the issue would be crazy. Not to mention that it would surely have been negotiated years back when Bethesda internally kicked legal and development process that would surely cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

pizzacat

Banned
People saying arrogant Sony is back (and or denying it) gotta realize they literally showcased their games on e3 with a live orchestra playing

Top Bottom