• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doesn't allow Fallout 4/Skyrim mods on PS4

The biggest offense they have made yet in my opinion. It's ridiculous they still can't give us PSone classics. Not giving us that sums up their crappy behavior ever since launch.

I mean, it would be nice, but I was under no delusion when I bought PSOne Classics that I was purchasing a lifetime license to each game.

Wereroku

Yeah, I saw the statement from Bethesda, what I meant (and worded poorly) was that I'm awaiting to see if Sony has a counter-statement, which I'm really hoping they issue one. That or they need to refund people's preorders since that might have been a big selling point

Wasn't the game already released before ps4 mod support was announced? As far as I remember the original announcement only listed the XBO and PC.

leeh

Though it can. Unfiltered anduntested mods on console could potentially lead to another issue where it takes people's information.
Thus then people blaming Sony yet again.

Not saying it would happen but could
It's not like the official marketplace doesn't have a approval process of anything with abundance of community comments and ratings.

Papacheeks

Banned
I bought my xbone at a pawn shop tho

a launch party =/= showing the work of God I mean sony

Macklemore doesnt invoke the same feelings as an orchestra lmao

Your not answering my question? The orchestra did live music for all the games present, liek actual soundtrack music that each game is going to have especially God of war, the conductor was Bear McCreary who is composing the score for God of war.

Macklemore being at xbox launch was there for no reason served no purpose but to try and make their launch look bigger than life.

Had nothing to do with video games.

As for mods crashing Fallout, Todd admitted that mod support would allow that back when mods were announced. I believe his quote was, "Yes, we'll even allow gamers to break their own games with the wrong mods" or something like that. All you have to do to stop it from crashing is remove the mod, though.

Remember when they were like "oh you want mod support for UT3 on PS3? yeah sure do it, do some mouse&keyboard support while you're at it".
And now even new disc formats aren't relevant to them anymore.

watership

Im not saying this is a good decision. Im just saying that this is not a huge deal as people here are saying, PS4 will not sell less just because it doesn't support mods.

I'm not sure there is anything Sony can do... in terms of negative actions, PR blunders, etc.. that would impact sales.

Cranster

Banned
Good on Sony. I don't want my PSN account to get hacked.
mSQ6cNN.gif

Caayn

some mods have compromised security on pcs. And no, self curation did not prevent that.
A process has more rights on a Windows based system than on a console. At least if Sony has done their homework correctly.

Not saying that security still isn't a valid issue.
How does QA on anything Bethesda touches reflect poorly?
Expecting QA on every single mod is the same as saying that you don't allow mods at all.

cheezcake

Except mods don't generally test with each other unless it's a comprehensive pack and those are usually made without the mod makers permission. It's basically trial and error and knowing what certain mods are going to effect and guessing they will interact poorly with each other.

I mean yeh but the community tends to figure these things out too, I understand a Google might be necessary but such is the territory of mods. I just don't think that's unreasonable?

some mods have compromised security on pcs. And no, self curation did not prevent that.

Well yeh I'm sure some have, I think a quick Google would also point you to a few hundred instances where dev QA also didn't prevent security compromises. Example: PSN doesn't have a very good track record of keeping your personal info very personal

Wereroku

Expecting QA on every single mod is the same as saying that you don't allow mods at all.

No it's not. Saying no mod support is not allowing mods. Saying mods with QA is the definition of allowing mod support. They fact that they want a company responsible for ever item they will allow to be installed on the closed system wouldn't be a outlandish idea.

Go ahead.

Looks like it at least passes the smell test for Neogaf. Adds a new angle to the argument.

c0de

No, we have to put the blame on Sony and disregard everything that we factually know about the situation because Bethesda bad and Sony good.

_machine

Please link a source/mod that is created within a mod development kit like Creation Kit that has ever compromised security on PC. We are not talking about mods altogether as that include pretty much any .dll ever, but specifically content created within a tool that can only be accessed by a certain layer within the game client. It's simply extremely unlikely to have ever happened.

Kinyou

No it's not. Saying no mod support is not allowing mods. Saying mods with QA is the definition of allowing mod support. They fact that they want a company responsible for ever item they will allow to be installed on the closed system wouldn't be a outlandish idea.
No dev in the world would QA check every single mod. At best you'd have them check some of the more popular mods once in a while, but then you lose big spectrum that mods usually offer.

Wereroku

I wonder if the exchange for more file space and texture and sound access is that Beth has to QA each one. And the reduced access is for if they don't want to go through that. If that is the case then they are working with them.

No dev in the world would QA check every single mod. At best you'd have them check some of the more popular mods once in a while, but then you lose big spectrum that mods usually offer.

So? Still isn't the same as not allowing them. Beth could allow a best of selection and anyway mods without new textures or audio would be simple to QA.

Darkangel

I think Sony is still shellshocked from the PSP.

They dropped Other OS support the second it looked like it could be used for custom firmware.

Man, Sony is making some dumb moves lately. I hope they get it together fast. They need to realize that they can lose like anyone else.

leeh

so Beth isn't blameless, quelle surprise.

OH SNAP.

I love this place.

This is why you never take anything Bethesda says at face value. Caught lying again.

ooOOOooooOOoo
All this shows is that Sony have got their head up their arses if they think that it's even the remotely bit possible and realistic to-do this.

Why the hell would Bethesda even consider it?

Top Bottom