• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Some reviewers give games low scores to get more clicks

Raylan

Banned
On the subject of ReCore, Spencer went on to say that he wished the game had been received better; some reviews were a "little harsh," he said. He also suggested that some reviewers scored it lower than the average specifically to increase site traffic. But at the same time, he said the review scores are not necessarily a reflection of the game's importance to Microsoft. Also, the game is "selling well" and gamers are receiving it positively. "The gamers' response to the game has been positive, which is the most important thing," he said.

Source

MCV: Spencer believes some reviewers give low scores for clicks

419232-1475746492.png

Opinion?

Don't believe in Phil Spenca if old.

Don't do this to yourself Phil..

Also the game is selling well?
It's done just about 7k in UK PAL charts which is awful.

It scored pretty well though, right? I thought it was mid-high 70s, last I saw? And you could say this about any big release as there's always once or two low-scoring reviews outside of the consensus.

Eh, the technical jank justified much of the negativity. Seemed to be a really solid game, it's just a shame it was marred by messy visuals and bugs.

Though I do hope this doesn't discourage Microsoft from pursuing the $40, AA market further. I really like the thought of them pursuing less expensive, more experimental ventures.

Blobbers

I watched 2 DSP streams. The game is repetitive, open world barren while still not even locked to 30FPS and the load times go up to 1-2 minutes, EVEN WHEN LOADING THE HUB AREA WHICH IS LIKE 1 ROOM

Nah, Phil.

Literally no quotes on that point - I want to see his exact wording.
edit: found this quote from the clicked-thru full interview:

I mean somebody gave Forza Horizon 3 a four. I think there's certain reviews that are written more to get clicked on than they are to actually accurately reflect the quality of the game, and that kind of bums me out.

So - he was talking about a FH3 review... but in the context of Recore scores.

Also found this pretty shitty from the interview:

Phil said:
I would have PlayStation fans tweet me, happy that ReCore wasn't getting great review scores from some outlets. I just thought it was such a negative thing for our industry for somebody to be gleeful that somebody gave a game a review that was lower than what the team expected," he said.

I'm not saying Xbox is completely clean here, but as much as I have any influence on it at all, that's not something I will support or entertain. Sorry, that's just something I needed to get out

Are we going to act like there aren't some sites that do this? There definitely are.

Not saying Recore specifically was a victim of it, but there are sites that score low and/or high to go against the curve and generate clicks. I'm sure it does happen.

This is why reviews for the most part are pointless.

Karak

Clicks don't have fucking ESP Phil. Many times folks don't know the score until they watch or read to the end. Quit playing kindergarden bullshit games

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
lol

It all evens out at the end - with some reviewers giving the game higher scores because its a First Party release. Or the pre-launch phase articles with all the Metroid/Zelda comparisons.

Its still a solid game from what i read - no need to be bitter. It was never going to get 90s.

scoobs

Little bit surprised Spencer would stoop to this, he must have been really frustrated with its reception. It seems like the game had real issues, and it was still reviewed fairly positively.

Acosta

Edit: total bullshit, Gamespot took it out of context in their fucking own piece, MCV ran with it for the headline and now we have the clownfest.

Chris1

The actual quote. Sounds like he's talking about that ridiculous FH3 review and others like it rather than Recore specifically.

I didn't try to tell anybody that it was a ten. I think we knew, as with any games, that there are certain things… if we started from the beginning and we knew what we'd get, there's a couple of things we would've done slightly differently. But we're very proud of how the game ended up. And I think seven, eight, nine, like anywhere in there is fine. Three or four… I mean somebody gave Forza Horizon 3 a four. I think there's certain reviews that are written more to get clicked on than they are to actually accurately reflect the quality of the game, and that kind of bums me out.

We don't know exactly what he said, just a website's interpretation of it.

Edit: Now we do, see post #42 above.

I don't see anything wrong with Phil mentioning this. It's a valid concern when considering something like a 4/10 review for Forza Horizon 3, a game that's unanimously praised and contains a high degree of craftsmanship that's so easy to appreciate.

Literally no quotes on that point - I want to see his exact wording.

Found this pretty shitty from the interview:

"not completely clean"? There are equally bad PlayStation, xbox, and Nintendo fans. What's going on with Phil for him to be doing this heel turn?

Saying this is kinda disingenous when I think just a couple weeks ago the people under him were tweeting obvious jabs at PlayStation such that he needed to reiterate that he didn't support those kinds of comments.

Hanmik

Imagine if Xbox had exclusive rights to No Mans Sky...

then Phil would be bald, with all the hairs he had to pull out..

Szadek

Sure...
Phil might want to talk to Randy Pitchford, I have a feeling the they will get along pretty damn well.

Caayn

Phil Spencer said:
On the reviews, honestly I thought some of the reviews were a little harsh in terms of their view on the game. But for us, inside, again I feel really proud to have the character, the story, the gameplay style, and the partnership with Armature and Inafune-san as part of our portfolio.
Here's the actual quote.

Averon

Why would underscoring a new IP people barely know and with no hype behind it get clicks?

If the goal is to get clicks, then underscoring a high profile game like Gears of War is a much better target.

Top Bottom