• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Some reviewers give games low scores to get more clicks

That is not really what he said, but outrage is always lovely.

It seems to me he's talking about a FH3 review anyways, not Recore.

But we're very proud of how the game ended up. And I think seven, eight, nine, like anywhere in there is fine. Three or four… I mean somebody gave Forza Horizon 3 a four. I think there's certain reviews that are written more to get clicked on than they are to actually accurately reflect the quality of the game, and that kind of bums me out.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-head-phil-spencer-talks-scorpio-ps4-pro-4k-re/1100-6444198/

Stevey

Yeah the actual quote would have been nice, but when has that ever stopped anyone before?

Edit:nvm

Oh, he was talking about a 3/10 review.

Thought he was talking about the sixes, which sounded about right for the level of bugs it had

glaurung

Weird thing to say about the clickbait. Last line of defense for mediocrity?

Also, I'm really curious to know ReCore sales numbers. Some game retailers I know around here aren't even stocking the game because of its faint smell of failure.

Chris1

Here's the actual quote.

Nah scroll down there's more, but I don't think he's speaking about Recore specifically. It sounds more about FH3 than anything.

Here is the quote they're talking about
I didn't try to tell anybody that it was a ten. I think we knew, as with any games, that there are certain things… if we started from the beginning and we knew what we'd get, there's a couple of things we would've done slightly differently. But we're very proud of how the game ended up. And I think seven, eight, nine, like anywhere in there is fine. Three or four… I mean somebody gave Forza Horizon 3 a four. I think there's certain reviews that are written more to get clicked on than they are to actually accurately reflect the quality of the game, and that kind of bums me out.

Rappy

No exact quote?
I didn't try to tell anybody that it was a ten. I think we knew, as with any games, that there are certain things… if we started from the beginning and we knew what we'd get, there's a couple of things we would've done slightly differently. But we're very proud of how the game ended up. And I think seven, eight, nine, like anywhere in there is fine. Three or four… I mean somebody gave Forza Horizon 3 a four. I think there's certain reviews that are written more to get clicked on than they are to actually accurately reflect the quality of the game, and that kind of bums me out.
It's almost as if this thread title was made just to get more clicks.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I watched 2 DSP streams. The game is repetitive, open world barren while still not even locked to 30FPS and the load times go up to 1-2 minutes, EVEN WHEN LOADING THE HUB AREA WHICH IS LIKE 1 ROOM

Nah, Phil.

Yeah, I'd say this is a good example of why watching a game being played isnot comparable to actually playing it yourself. I can't think of anything more boring than watching someone play a game, no matter the game.

ReCore is a fantastic game, and repetitive is very far from the word I'd use. It has brilliant mechanics, and they're put to use in a lot of really cool and varied ways.

What it lacks is that it could be a bit better at pushing you out there to explore, and some nasty bugs should have been fixed. Loading never bothered me much since I hardly ever died. Play it on a decent PC and it's a non-issue.

linko9

In the case of this game you would stand out and get more clicks if you gave it a real good score, so by this logic the scores are probably inflated.

Stillmatic

Literally no quotes on that point - I want to see his exact wording.
edit: found this quote from the clicked-thru full interview:

Also found this pretty shitty from the interview:
You get fanatics of this type from every corner of the world, from sports to politics. Guy singles out PS fans like they're in a separate catergory lol.

madmackem

Literally no quotes on that point - I want to see his exact wording.
edit: found this quote from the clicked-thru full interview:

So - he was talking about a FH3 review... but in the context of Recore scores.

That's fanbois though it happens on all sides, check tweeter right now and it will be filled with Xbox fanbois tweeting the bad bits of PSVR reviews etc it's the way fanbois work, he's being a bit precious there I bet shu gets enough shit daily on twitter, it's filled with dicks.

Montresor

Come on, Phil, not like this.

*reads article*

Oh, Phil didn't say what they said he said. Hmm. Where do we go from here?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I haven't seen anyone give Recore a below average score among the reviews I've watched.

Maybe this is why we received a demo?

Drencrom

Oh yeah, reviewers surely scored it lower just to bait the huge ReCore community to click their articles.

Is this the first time a prominent person in the industry like Spencer actually alluded to the "reviewers are scoring bad for clicks" excuse? Only seen salty fans on GAF say it before lol

If you're going to put a quote in the title, make sure it's an actual quote and not one person's interpretation of a very different quote.

madmackem

Yeah, I'd say this is a good example of why watching a game being played isnot comparable to actually playing it yourself. I can't think of anything more boring than watching someone play a game, no matter the game.

ReCore is a fantastic game, and repetitive is very far from the word I'd use. It has brilliant mechanics, and they're put to use in a lot of really cool and varied ways.

What it lacks is that it could be a bit better at pushing you out there to explore, and some nasty bugs should have been fixed. Loading never bothered me much since I hardly ever died. Play it on a decent PC and it's a non-issue.
What about the padding and abrupt ending? The game felt like ms should've allowed them a few more months of dev time.

The game sits at a 63 on Metacritic

Ah, okay. That's a bit lower than I'd expected.

EDIT - I was getting it mixed up with Quantum Break, which is high 70s.

The mistake he made was not to blame sites, it was that he believed peoples cared about the game in the first place.

I think the game looks interesting and had a good premise, as well as some slick trailers. It seems like it's mostly technical issues which hindered the final product.

There's no exact quote of him saying this by the way. The interviewer says he "suggested it" with no quote to back that up.

The actual quote. Sounds like he's talking about that ridiculous FH3 review and others like it rather than Recore specifically.

Ah okay, that's a bit shitty of Gamespot. Unless he inferred the same about Recore outside of the interview, he's clearly talking about Forza Horizon there.

NHale

So he's saying he doesn't want to influence fanboy behaviour from the Xbox side while calling out Playstation fanboys for being stupid pricks at twitter. Sure Phil... what a dumb comment coming from someone in your position.

But hey the mask had to come off some day, and it did today...

If you're going to put a quote in the title, make sure it's an actual quote and not one person's interpretation of a very different quote.

The sad thing is there will be drive-by posts having a go at Phil or saying "lmao" or whatever based on the thread title, and that's what they'll take away from this and regurgitate in the future. Happened with Inafune apparently saying "better than nothing" about Mighty No 9 when it wasn't actually his quote and I still see that getting brought up.

So he's saying he doesn't want to influence fanboy behaviour from the Xbox side while calling out Playstation fanboys for being stupid pricks at twitter. Sure Phil... what a dumb comment coming from someone in your position.

Something else I can't really reconcile is that I'm almost certain Major Nelson, Greenberg, and Spencer himself are rather chummy with Tim Dog and other people like him and even invite them to events and give them free things.

"not something he supports or entertains"? I think they "entertain" those guys quite often?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
It scored pretty well though, right? I thought it was mid-high 70s, last I saw? And you could say this about any big release as there's always once or two low-scoring reviews outside of the consensus.

pretty well in this day and age is anything over 80. everything under is usually considered "garbage".

I don't think like that, but I've seen that kind of mindset even here on neogaf.

Linking to the interview and quoting the actual statement would have been preferable.

Yeah, if you're using an interpretation from a secondary source it preferably needs to be fact-checked against the original source or at least analysed before being posted.

The problem with not doing that isn't just that you get confused posts below the OP, but a bunch of people on social media taking the topic's headline for granted, posting their thought on that headline, which then gets shared and so on. Which is equivalent to commenting before even reading down the thread itself, itself equivalent to posting without checking the source. It's a vicious cycle.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
What about the padding and abrupt ending? The game felt like ms should've allowed them a few more months of dev time.

More time would have been nice, but mostly for bug purposes. It didn't feel padded at all to me, probably since I went out into the world and got hooked on finding things pretty early on. If your goal is to finish it fast, then yeah, I see how it could be annoying, which is what I mean when I say the game could have done a better job at getting you out into the world to explore.

I never met that "wall" near the end because I had already collected everything I needed.

It doesn't matter if he was referring to a 6 for ReCore or a 4 for Forza Horizon 3. Whether some publications do deliberately rate low for notoriety or not, you shouldn't be pulling this shit in the press. Especially considering that even if this were happening, it's probably some no name outlet you've never and will never hear of that pays it's 17 year old writers in review copies. If that.

tuna_love

Banned

"I don't have more fun with my Xbox based on the review scores of games that are on PlayStation, or vice versa. If you have an Xbox, I want to ship great games for you and have you have a great time on that console," he added. "And that is our focus, right there. It's not about what somebody else is out there doing with their platform. I know there's pockets in every community, I'm not saying Xbox is completely clean here, but as much as I have any influence on it at all, that's not something I will support or entertain. Sorry, that's just something I needed to get out."

how does that offend you?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Even if he thinks it he shouldn't say it.

But it's interesting he chose this game to say it about because the consensus on this game seems to be that the reviewers definitely got it wrong.

It's a far better game than the metacritic average suggests.

Raylan

Banned
It scored pretty well though, right? I thought it was mid-high 70s, last I saw? And you could say this about any big release as there's always once or two low-scoring reviews outside of the consensus.

419232-1475746492.png

Noobcraft

His quote was taken out of context. He was lamenting ReCore not scoring well, but what he said was "Three or four… I mean somebody gave Forza Horizon 3 a four. I think there's certain reviews that are written more to get clicked on than they are to actually accurately reflect the quality of the game, and that kind of bums me out."

I think it's fine to call out an outlier. The publication who posted that review was quick to go to their twitter and try to promote it with "Warning: Opinions Ahead!" or something. They were trying to milk it for all it was worth.

Top Bottom