• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Sandfox

iron-fist.png
power-man.png

b29dde833e4c4fae1ed558bb7d244b3a.png

Things sure have changed.

Hagi

Has Marvel given any indication as to when Rich Rider Nova makes his return? I assume it won't be with the new Nova #1

He's on the cover for 1 so I'd say you assume wrong. The book is basically going to end up a team up book like Iron Fist and Power-Man. I'm really stoked for it.

Sandfox

Only as support?
The new book is about the two Nova's learning from each other with Rich mentoring Sam about being a young hero, while Sam helps him readjust to the world. Like Hagi said, this is going to be a team up book with both of them as the leads.

We will probably get an interview on the book this week or something.

TheFlow

Banned
The new book is about the two Nova's learning from each other with Rich mentoring Sam about being a young hero, while Sam helps him readjust to the world. Like Hagi said, this is going to be a team up book with both of them as the leads.

This sounds great. Sam learning from the best would be cool. Wouldn't mind miles getting another training arc

Comicgaffer problems

Digital tho.

That creates a whole new set of problems however. I'm window-shopping for a new tablet right now and everything is terrible unless I want to spend €500+, which seems like too much for something that'll only be used for comics and maybe some YouTube before bed.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's a team-up. It should probably be called Novas.

He's on the cover for 1 so I'd say you assume wrong. The book is basically going to end up a team up book like Iron Fist and Power-Man. I'm really stoked for it.

Thanks

Sandfox

There was an interview I read earlier today. Cbr I think

There we go: http://www.cbr.com/marvels-new-nova-series-unites-rich-rider-sam-alexander/

Oh wow lol.

This interview is actually amazing because Loveness is making it clearly that he actually understands the characters and has a good grasp on their stories unlike Ryan and Bendis. He also said that it has a buddy cop feel so far, which is exactly what I wanted after Secret Wars. Everything they plan on doing with this book sounds really good.

Oh wow lol.

This interview is actually amazing because Loveness is making it clearly that he actually understands the characters and has a good grasp on their stories unlike Ryan and Bendis. He also said that it has a buddy cop feel so far, which is exactly what I wanted after Secret Wars. Everything they plan on doing with this book sounds really good.

The book does sound good, and the art looks incredible. Ill be honest, nova isn't a book I'd pick up on the strength of the character concept, I don't have much history with him beyond the annihilation HCs, so I'd only really.jump in on a strong creative team. These guys sound like they have a really fun book planned though so I'm definitely paying attention.

Can't unsee the Sejic in that Armstrong.

Thanks for ruining comics for me

Don't give me that valiant lingo

It's funny because while PM&IF inspired Quantum & Woody, it was the reverse for the newer series. The initial Q&W by Priest and Bright tried to subvert expectations for dynamic duos, and one of the things they did was making the black character the straight character and the white character the comic relief, like the current PM&IF.

Hagi

Digital tho.

That creates a whole new set of problems however. I'm window-shopping for a new tablet right now and everything is terrible unless I want to spend €500+, which seems like too much for something that'll only be used for comics and maybe some YouTube before bed.

Hmm I can relate. I was hoping Google would announce something as my Nexus is getting a tad long in the tooth.

My commission in the flesh:

Holy shit is that incredible.

Wow that Batwoman is gorgeous

Digital tho.

This is you and me both right now.

I've been living with an Amazon Fire HDX for a year or two or now, and it's been okay. A little small and not great for spreads but I read most spreads in guided view anyway, even when I was using an iPad 4. It's easier to read comics on this in higher natural light than the 4 was as well, and I often appreciate how lightweight it is.

Alas, a few weeks ago there was some kind of pressure damage to the screen. It didn't crack (in general the screen has been quite durable compared to iPad...something I confess is a must for me), but there is now a light blue smudge near the center. I usually can't see it but on inky comic pages it is a major fucking eyesore.

So I'm torn. Do I go cheap again, buy another Fire HDX for under 500, deal with the smallish screen and smallish HD for a couple more years, or shell out for something really nice. On the one hand I only use my tablet for a bit of browsing and a lot of comics. On the other, comics are a huge chunk of my free time and one of the things I enjoy most. A premium experience would be nice.

I use my fire tablet to manage my Amazon video library as well so that is also a factor. But I could always hang onto this one for that purpose too.

TheFlow

Banned
Thanks for ruining comics for me

It's funny because while PM&IF inspired Quantum & Woody, it was the reverse for the newer series. The initial Q&W by Priest and Bright tried to subvert expectations for dynamic duos, and one of the things they did was making the black character the straight character and the white character the comic relief, like the current PM&IF.

Thanks I now hate pM&if

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I can't go back from reading comics on a 12.9" iPad Pro

I just can't

E: Fantastic Negan btw

That Negan is fucking gorgeous, I am floored

Latest issue spoilers:
so is Negan gonna find a new woman or does his heart belong to Lucille forever?

Hmm I can relate. I was hoping Google would announce something as my Nexus is getting a tad long in the tooth.

I was giving serious thought to getting a Nexus 7 2013 on clearance, but they're mostly gone, and even if I could find one, no SD is a dealbreaker.

This is you and me both right now.

I've been living with an Amazon Fire HDX for a year or two or now, and it's been okay. A little small and not great for spreads but I read most spreads in guided view anyway, even when I was using an iPad 4. It's easier to read comics on this in higher natural light than the 4 was as well, and I often appreciate how lightweight it is.

Alas, a few weeks ago there was some kind of pressure damage to the screen. It didn't crack (in general the screen has been quite durable compared to iPad...something I confess is a must for me), but there is now a light blue smudge near the center. I usually can't see it but on inky comic pages it is a major fucking eyesore.

So I'm torn. Do I go cheap again, buy another Fire HDX for under 500, deal with the smallish screen and smallish HD for a couple more years, or shell out for something really nice. On the one hand I only use my tablet for a bit of browsing and a lot of comics. On the other, comics are a huge chunk of my free time and one of the things I enjoy most. A premium experience would be nice.

I use my fire tablet to manage my Amazon video library as well so that is also a factor. But I could always hang onto this one for that purpose too.

Right now I'm looking at that new Fire HD 8. It is of course smaller than the 10, but it's the same res which seems better overall. Neither are even 1080p though, which my creaking Nook HD+ is. Though it can't play HD YouTube anymore, even after the nuclear "put CyanogenMod on it" option, the Long Walk of mobile devices. No Play Store, but it doesn't seem that hard to get it on there. It's more out of necessity since a lot of stuff on the Amazon store isn't available in Ireland for....reasons.

I'm not buying an iPad. It's not just a cost thing or Apple dislike, though those are factors. I would never be able to bring it home at Christmas and stuff. The kids in the family have iPads, when their time with theirs is up, they will want mine. Plus I'd be really paranoid about it being lifted from my bag at work, since part of the reason I want a tablet is my lift home on evening shift doesn't finish until 90 minutes after I do.

Through to episode 8 right now in cage. I was really enjoying it up until the last episode or so there, it feels like it's come a little unravelled though. Really not impressed with
diamondback
, I thought they were on to more with
cottonmouth and his cousin, I really like the backstory they've built up there.
Up to the end of episode 4 , it was a full thumbs up, the middle leg is more thumbs in the middle, hopefully they can pull it back up for the last third. I just find it lazy or stupid too when
you have a character who cannot be shot as a basic rule, so the writers took it as a challenge to find a way and jump through hoops to do it anyway. Feels like creative opportunity was missed there. Why not bury him alive for an episode or something

Hagi

When he's on his own schedule, he is one of if not the best that DC/Vertigo has to offer.

I've been enamoured with his art ever since buying American Vampire #1. He really is on another level.

I was giving serious thought to getting a Nexus 7 2013 on clearance, but they're mostly gone, and even if I could find one, no SD is a dealbreaker.

Thats what I've been using for an age and it really does the job but I'd like something bigger in both screen size and storage. I don't really want to buy an Ipad but it seems like that is the route I'm going to end up on unless all these rumours surrounding the new nexus/pixel tablet releasing this year actually amount to anything.

Hagi

That first arc of American vampire, he was unbelievable. Especially doing the Snyder story AND the King story.

Man American Vampire is so good I really need to get back to it and finish first cycle. Curse my neglectfulness when it comes to keeping up with things!

Man American Vampire is so good I really need to get back to it and finish first cycle. Curse my neglectfulness when it comes to keeping up with things!

The first arc was stronger by far. I think the first story arc of Second Cycle was solid, but it lost steam after that.

How far did you get? Ive got the 8 trades here, but I've only read up through vol. 6. Seemed like the release schedule slowed way down at some point so I've held off reading for a good bit. Still one of my favourite series though and definitely has that quality about it that you could easily recommend to new readers to the medium.

Fucking loved that last volume of the "first cycle", that had the black list and the
dracula
stuff in it.

Hagi

The first arc was stronger by far. I think the first story arc of Second Cycle was solid, but it lost steam after that.

How far did you get? Ive got the 8 trades here, but I've only read up through vol. 6. Seemed like the release schedule slowed way down at some point so I've held off reading for a good bit. Still one of my favourite series though and definitely has that quality about it that you could easily recommend to new readers to the medium.

Fucking loved that last volume of the "first cycle", that had the black list and the
dracula
stuff in it.

I got up to volume 3 I think but I have up to 4 on my shelf. Last thing I can remember is Pearls "friend" coming back and trying to find her. Skinner is such a cool character, that arc with him in Vegas and the other older type of Vampire was awesome.

I got up to volume 3 I think but I have up to 4 on my shelf. Last thing I can remember is Pearls "friend" coming back and trying to find her. Skinner is such a cool character, that arc with him in Vegas and the other older type of Vampire was awesome.

By first arc, I meant the entire series before they started using the "Second Cycle" branding.

TheFlow

Banned
First cycle, anthology, and all mini series are great great comics.

First arc of second cycle bring a different vibe. Everything feels sloppier but the first arc is just good.

I am on the last arc of second cycle and getting rdy for the anthology #2 this Wednesday

Okay, I got you. You should jump back in man, at least up to vol 5. 4 is a bit of a sidestep volume but 5 is really really good.

How are The Walking Dead premium HC? With IST it almost makes sense to go that way for the series.

Are those the huge thick ones?

Is all of the First Semester of Gotham Academy being collected?

Yea man, I think the third and last trade is out either this month or next and that's the whole thing at that point. Edit: Nov 8th

Top Bottom