• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games announces Decima Engine (Death Stranding, Horizon, Killzone)

thelastword

Banned
So GG and Kojima teamed up to name and improve the Killzone Engine. That engine is already bonkers and Kojima found ways to improve it even more...What a great tag team, one thing is certain from all of this.....

Heads will roll at 60fps, eyesockets will melt at 30.............

Great stuff. I wonder if in a few years Guerrilla will be Sony's equivalent to DICE as they are to EA, with lots of studios using their engine and they considered the jewel in Sony's crown (or close to it alongside ND, SSM, etc).

Qassim

PhyreEngine was made to ease multi-platform development for third parties during the early PS3 era when an number of them were skipping the platform due to its notorious complexity. It officially supported both PC and 360, and had a very permissive license letting developers do whatever they wanted with it. I believe Sidhe even ported it to the Wii and iOS. It's not in any way comparable to Guerilla sharing their in-house proprietary tech.

It's comparable in the sense that they're both in-house proprietary engines. It demonstrates that Sony is not against allowing their proprietary tech to be developed for other competing platforms. They're not even against publishing games that they have co-developed on PC, e.g. http://store.steampowered.com/app/417880/ which was developed by SCE Santa Monica & The Chinese Room, launches on PC with 'Sony Computer Entertainment Presents' screen etc..

I'm not saying it definitely is still coming to PC (details are still hazy), but I'm saying that history suggests that what we know about it so far doesn't preclude it from coming to PC.

I dunno, I would find it extremely odd that they're working closely with a Sony first party, Mark Cerny the architect of the PS4 is a technical consultant, and SIE studios being used for motion capture would ever make this game remotely viable to be sold on the Xbox platform. PC fine but it's console exclusive surely?

Right - I did say that. I'm not expecting it on competing consoles, but Sony using the term 'console exclusive' and the fact yet to correct that as far as I'm aware suggests there are terms that means it's open to come to PC at some point.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It has probably already been mentioned, but an engine being developed by Sony doesn't exclude that game also being made available for other platforms. Sony's own PhyreEngine has been used in games for PC a fair few times before and not by Sony themselves.

I'd have thought if it was definitely a PS4 exclusive, Sony would be clarifying that. They used the words 'console exclusive' but haven't upgraded to 'exclusive' - which there would be no reason not to (and plenty of reason to do) if it was definitely only ever going to be a PS4 game.

They are the trademark owners though. It may show up on PC, but not on any other systems beyond that.

Qassim

They are the trademark owners though. It may show up on PC, buy not on any other systems beyond that.

Right, all I'm talking about is PC. Sony own the trademark for Everybody's Gone to the Rapture & co-developed that game, it showed up on PC published by Sony themselves.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Right, all I'm talking about is PC. Sony own the trademark for Everybody's Gone to the Rapture & co-developed that game, it showed up on PC published by Sony themselves.

That's fair. If it shows up on PC and it makes good bank, it may convince Sony to share more of the love with PC gamers

RobRivers

It wasn't officially announced for PC. It was more of a "It's not coming to Xbox. It's up to Kojima if it releases on PC, but for now it's exclusive for PS4". Even if it's hinted at being on PC, it won't release or be talked about until or after PS4's release.

Hope It can be launched as pc play anywhere hehe :)

Sorry about my english.

Qassim

Ehh... I really hope that isn't the case. I'm okay if she's doing voice work, but a character modeled after her real appearance would blow. Imagine if Solid Snake appeared on other games, playing a different role as if he were an actor. Yikes! :(

You do know Stefanie Joosten is a real person and not a character, right? It's not really the same as if Solid Snake (a fictional character) were to appear in other games acting as a different character.

I'm not sure what the problem would be for an actress to act in another role.

RootCause

You do know Stefanie Joosten is a real person and not a character, right? It's not really the same as if Solid Snake (a fictional character) were to appear in other games acting as a different character.

I'm not sure what the problem would be for an actress to act in another role.
Yes, I know. It was a bad exmpale. A better one would've been Troy barker appearing as himself in every game. Personally I dont like it. Its why I have lost interest in movies, and tv shows lately.

And I don't have a problem, I just don't like it.

Yes, I know. It was a bad exmpale. A better one would've been Troy barker appearing as himself in every game. Personally I dont like it. Its why I have lost interest in movies, and tv shows lately.

You're the first I've ever heard of having that problem. It's a weird one fer sure. But we don't get to choose how our brain works so I ain't mad at ya.

Tovarisc

I wouldn't mind if his voice didn't appear in every another AAA game.

RootCause

You're the first I've ever heard of having that problem. It's a weird one fer sure. But we don't get to choose how our brain works so I ain't mad at ya.
Lol hopefully its something that will pass. Won't stop me from getting the game though.

ps: I always thought Piccolo would be a shotgun guy.

I-hate-u

When Kojima met Guerrilla they introduced themselves and handed him this

sourcen3sq8.png

That's the source code to Decima. He said they gave him that before any deals or contracts were in place.

That is so cool. Do all studios have an elaborate hardware that stores their engine like that?

Braag

Dunno why some people look like they're about to lose sleep over a potential PC version.
Right now we know barely anything about the game so just give it time. Maybe even Kojima isn't entirely sure yet whether the game will be released on another platform or not, it depends on so many things.

Chev

That is so cool. Do all studios have an elaborate hardware that stores their engine like that?

Well, you don't store them in a box like that, that a nice symbol and nothing more. You store them in source control systems on servers/clouds, with backup systems, like any sensitive data, really.

DigSCCP

An amazing engine, two upcoming games with this engine, an amazing pannel about the engine last wekeend and all we got around here is 8 pages of "its coming for PC, deal with " / "its going to be exclusive, deal with it" bullshit.
Damn sometimes Neogaf can be so frustrating.

Tovarisc

An amazing engine, two upcoming games with this engine, an amazing pannel about the engine last wekeend and all we got around here is 8 pages of "its coming for PC, deal with " / "its going to be exclusive, deal with it" bullshit.
Damn sometimes Neogaf can be so frustrating.

People don't like platform exclusives, more news at 11!

DigSCCP

People don't like platform exclusives, more news at 11!

Yeah I know.
The thing is this isnt even a Death Strading thread, its a thread about an engine and all we have here is people whining about a game that is not going to be released at best until 2018, and probably it will be further, being exclusive or not.

That would be a profound change of direction for them given the fact that they sold off their last tendrils in the PC development community.

SOE was always separate to SCE though, and in the last year SCE have published their first two games on PC with Helldivers and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

The best thing about this is that GG will gain valuable input and possible updates from KojiPro. So you'll have two top tier studios working on improving an already awesome engine.

So GG and Kojima teamed up to name and improve the Killzone Engine. That engine is already bonkers and Kojima found ways to improve it even more...What a great tag team, one thing is certain from all of this.....

Heads will roll at 60fps, eyesockets will melt at 30.............

Jaws will drop either way!

ViciousDS

Banned
SIE publishing and owning rights to the game means it probably is PS4 exclusive

Can't wait to see how amazing it turns out to be on the Pro though

funo

Kojima just posted 8 new pics of the Decima engine (might warrant a new thread, but I can't do it)

they are renders of their office with in-game assets and some stills from the trailer

just - wow

original tweets here and here

Ishan

I'm sure this has been brought up but I'm too lazy to scan thru all the pages ... God I hope no one at gg has seen poi :)

dracula_x

Tools for the job – Part 1: The Nodegraph System → https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/tools-for-the-job-part-1-the-nodegraph-system

“In essence, the Nodegraph System allows designers to create complex gameplay elements without writing code,” explains Senior Game Tech Programmer Olaf Jansen, who helps maintain the system along with Game Tech Programmer Bryan Keiren. “We originally built it for Killzone’s sound designers, who were looking for an easier way to attach audio behavior to game objects.”

Top Bottom