• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announced Xbox Game Pass subscription service

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Might be worth it for families with low income. Dad and kids can pick different games and max the value. Core gamers are never going to care about playing old games from a limited list.

I wonder how often someone is playing a game gets rotated out to be greeted with a buy now page? I suspect this program is great for publishers with a library of games which no longer sell.

People in the thread who are jumping for joy over this are amusing. They probably have 20+ games in their backlog that they actually wanted to play vs a list of games they passed on for years which are now to rent.

Quotes from you

"Seems like kind of a waste for $120 a year.

Especially if you need gold to play multiplayer on top of this, no thanks. I'd rather just buy games when they hit sales for $5-$10.

Womp womp.

Depends how quickly they rotate out games I guess.

Microsoft has clearly done an excellent job hiding the fact that these games are only playable while they are part of the play pass service,"

Yeah it just seems to me like you have had an agenda coming in here. Its not that you have been clarifying misconceptions, it is your overall tone and attitude towards the subject.

I have an opinion, sorry about that.

My opinion is a lot of people are going to wind up paying $120 a year to play comic jumper and gears of War judgement.

We will have to wait and see though.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Everything about this post is wrong.
When a movie I like is about to leave the service, Netflix will warn me about it. You can assume Microsoft will announce which games are leaving ahead of time.
Also, where are you getting $70 from? There is a 20 percent discount so you would only be paying $47.99 plus tax.

It absolutely won't be new games so the discount will more likely be $10 down to $8

RedRum

Banned
You know, maybe they could do a discount or something if you want to subscribe to all services. Live/GWG, EAA, XBGP. All for $15-20 as a tier.

Rodelero

This isn't aimed at those of us that have hundreds of games that we bought or those of us that are there day one (or the first few months) for games.

It's for those that want access to a large library and are happy to pay $10 for it. I have teen cousins, friends, and family that don't have a lot of income...they'd love this.

We'll see I guess. Right now, this strikes me as what Netflix would be like if you removed all of the good stuff. It's a subscription full of games that are old and already dirt cheap. You'd be better off looking through a preowned games section and getting the stuff you actually want, rather than hoping MS were providing it that month.

If there is a game you want to play on there for the current month paying 9.99 to pretty much rent that game plus 99+ more is not bad at all

jesu

The cycling out of titles *really* puts a damper on this for me. I wouldn't mind this selection starting out, knowing that there would only be more games added upon it. But Sunset Overdrive aside, this would honestly be a "lackluster month" for me (putting it into a GWG/PS+ perspective).

That's just for testing.
It's to launch with over a hundred games.

from alpha

W2mO2jP.png

KukRMGf.jpg

W59IUCO.jpg

LilphYN.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
Might be worth it for families with low income. Dad and kids can pick different games and max the value. Core gamers are never going to care about playing old games from a limited list.

I wonder how often someone is playing a game gets rotated out to be greeted with a buy now page? I suspect this program is great for publishers with a library of games which no longer sell.

This is exactly how I see it. But those who missed out on a bunch of the titles they find appealing will get some value out if it. Good for them.

Boke1879

People in the thread who are jumping for joy over this are amusing. They probably have 20+ games in their backlog that they actually wanted to play vs a list of games they passed on for years which are now to rent.

In theory it's a good deal. Gotta see how it all pans out but this looks good. No two ways about it.

But I own both systems and soon a Switch. PS4 is my primary console.and I already just have too much to play so I really wouldn't take advantage of this.

Good for existing users and those looking to get a XB1 tho.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
i hate that subscription services are becoming even more prevalent on top of the core XBL and PSN service subscriptions. EA Access, Xbox game pass, PS Now..

I mean if your not paying into XBL and generally want a list of older games to choose from its cool, but i think that the concept itself is very worrying for the future in regards to the layering aspect. They should have found some way to work it into Gold itself

Backlogger

Not for me, the limited amount of first party games are already in my collection.

Same

Also, game subscriptions never work out in my head because my gaming habbits are all over the place. Not sure I can get my money's worth out of the price on a consistent basis. Seems I'm better off just buying games for $5-$10 here and there. I'm pretty sure I haven't spent $120 on games for Xbox since the year I bought my One and loaded up on games.

If you are coming in having just purchased a One though and likely won't have any of these games it seems like it could be a great value

Withnail

Don't really get the PS Now comparisons. It's more like an expanded version of Sony's Instant Game Collection offered on PS3.

Elios83

As far as I understand you can't build libraries with this service.
When a game is gone is gone and you can't play it anymore even if you have downloaded it.
It's similar to PSNow with the advantage that games are running locally so they don't need online streaming and there will be also current gen games in the library and not just 360 titles but as a con the number of available titles is smaller and the library is dynamic so you can't be sure that you'll always be able to play with the games you like.
A lot will depend on the quality of the selection they'll make available. Of course don't expect new games, it will be mostly old stuff.
Personally I'm not a fan of subscriptions for old games, I usually buy what I like as soon as it's released but this might give Sony the idea to expand the PSNow service to include more than PS3 games and such games wouldn't need to be necessarily streamed just like in MS's case.

This sounds like an amazing deal! I get bored of most of my games before I get to finish them and so I'll get my games worth in a month before that. It's going to save me so much money.

Kayant

Ah yes, very very EA Access like indeed. I have one month of EA Access now and i saw i can get Andromeda for a discounted price via that. Not nearly as much as MS is offering though. But i assume that 20% off is only via their digital store? WHere Halo 5 is still 60 bucks i think.
The discount only applies to games in rotation.
Definitely think Live Gold sub is going away in favor of this as a bomb drop announcement.
No way I see this. That is a lot of revenue gone and one that is more guaranteed. At most i see it replacing GwG.

Fuchsdh

This is where I am. I like the idea of the pass because it offers a lot more value than most, but MS already is giving me games with gold. I'm not loose enough with my money or have enough playtime to make this worth it for me personally. But some people are probably gonna' love it.

Isn't this mostly the same as Games with Gold?

Games with Gold are free* via your Gold sub, this is something else. Also you still get to automatically keep your XB360 GwG purchases if your sub lapses. Here you lose access unless you buy.

Wonder how much that discount is gonna' be (equivalent to Gold discounts? More? Variable depending on the game?)

I have an opinion, sorry about that.

My opinion is a lot of people are going to wind up paying $120 a year to play comic jumper and gears of War judgement.

We will have to wait and see though.

Opinions are nice, just dont try and force it on others. Its a problem within forums, and many people tend to behave like that. People try and be sly, but its usually pretty obvious when somebody has an agenda.

I wont be buying Xbox Game Pass. I dont pay for EA Access, or PS Now either. GwG and PS+ i pay for to play multiplayer, but the games i get on there I dont really play either.

Why? Because I tend to buy games i want at launch, and what I dont i typically get on steam sales.

Does that mean its a bad service? No. Actually they are pretty good services, and for those who will want it great for them. Im not opposed to having options, but just because i dont want something doesnt mean im going to go on and on about it.

This totally makes sense why they would do this. If this is also for Xbox Play Anywhere or Windows 10 games...that's how they would get PC gamers to have a subscription and not pay for online.

EDIT nvm. it says Xbox One and 360 games.

I bet they are saving the bigger news for E3. (the bigger means this coming to Pc)

Quonny

I mean, I pay just over that a year for Gamefly and get whatever game I want.

Cool idea, though. More options are always a good thing.

nikos

Wonder how long you can play each game before its rental period expires and you're forced to buy. I have a feeling that's where the catch will be.

Really? They haven't shut up about old games since last summer and a lot of their core base are lapping it up.

RedFury

i hate that subscription services are becoming even more prevalent on top of the core XBL and PSN services. EA Access, Xbox game pass, PS Now..
This is my main concern. I think it's great when it's value is good to the consumer, but I'm dreading the day every big publisher has their own service. EA in, MS in, my guess Sony follows suit but not before Ubisoft.

MUnited83

For you.
PS Now has the ability to run on PC and Smart TVs as well as the PS consoles. Game Pass does not do this.

However, being able to download the games is also a massive positive.
Actually PS Now will no longer work on Smart TVs. Only PC and Ps4 from now on, all other versions discontinued.

The trend for games seems to be people sticking with single games for a longer period of time: overwatch, rainbow six siege, Paragon, world of tanks, rocket league, destiny, etc.

This kind of sampler subscription with tons of older catalog games seems a little ignorant of that.

FelipeMGM

Some are putting too much against the price

You dont have to pay every month, and I think the service is more fitted for this style of paying when you have a lot of time/they have something you want to play

I'm a Dad with 2 kids and a decent backlog.

The kids are going to love this. I will be along for the ride I think, despite the backlog.

The trend for games seems to be people sticking with single games for a longer period of time: overwatch, rainbow six siege, Paragon, world of tanks, rocket league, destiny, etc.

This kind of sampler subscription with tons of older catalog games seems a little ignorant of that.

To be honest, I would be happy with 30 days to play Rainbow Six or Rocket League as I tend to get bored of most multiplayer after 30 days and need to take a break. However, I don't see many of those games hitting this type of package.

Zomba13

That's pretty cool. I've been very tempted by EA access to just pay for a month to binge on some games on there I've been kind of interested in playing. This will be a cool service.

It does kind of suck how there are services on services in a way with the consoles (paying for online, paying for a game pass thing) but eh, I can't see to many downsides to this (outside of the potential "omg library sucks!").

Would be nice if Nintendo would offer some kind of VC subscription service. You know, outside of "one free game for one month" with their Switch online plans.

Good idea in concept, but needs a massive library to justify that price.

I have every 360 game I wanted sat on disc, so pretty much worthless to me.

Top Bottom