• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Testfire Thread: This is a port...able game now

antibolo

Banned
You just proved my point. Some gamers have no desire to learn new skills, and want every game to control the same. It reminds me of how many people give up on fighting games because they often demand intense study to get special moves out or scare away from using an arcade stick because they've only used game pads before.

I mean, hey, it's a hobby, so do it how you like. But IMO some people miss out on fun experiences by avoiding temporary discomfort.

People have limited time to play video games.

Anyone got any map-based strategy working during the game? If so, how?

The only map-based strategy I adopted was that on Musselforge Fitness I started to prioritize the area closest to my spawn next to the center. Like the area under the grates that take you onto the center. I ignored it for the most part at first and it always became a quick way the other team used to sneak into our area.

Never played Splatoon before. My impressions after two matches today:

- Very easy to get into
- Good controls
- Actually works as a portable shooter in bed wow
- Fast paced game
- Feels right
- Still not really familiar with the tactical purpose of squidmode other than recharging ink, couldn't move on walls and stuff...

The tactics with squid mode are mainly stealth. I use it when I'm trying to get the drop on someone, or when I want to move without an enemy spotting me. Let someone move into my area while I hide, work my way behind them, and then take them out.

duckroll

I guess the one downside to this testfire is that the maps they picked for it don't have as much in the way of climbable walls like the set they chose for the first one's testfires.

Yeah I think that might be it. There were a lot of obvious low barriers which couldn't be painted so whenever I tried to climb walls it wouldn't work.

Robotguy

Never played Splatoon before. My impressions after two matches today:

- Very easy to get into
- Good controls
- Actually works as a portable shooter in bed wow
- Fast paced game
- Feels right
- Still not really familiar with the tactical purpose of squidmode other than recharging ink, couldn't move on walls and stuff...
I haven't played 2 yet, but based on the first game squidmode has:
Higher mobility
Faster health regen when you're in your own ink
Ink regen
Stealth if you move slowly enough (above a certain speed threshold you produce ripples which give away your position)
Stealth at all speeds when the Ninja squid ability is equipped (this comes with a nerf to your top squid speed though)
The ability to climb walls painted in your own color

DKL

If that's the only strategy that will work during Turf War, it'll become a very boring game compared to the first.

Actually, yes, it's a very good strategy, even in the first game (which I got to S+ in before the point distribution changes, for reference).

The center is a raised platform for a reason: people were trying to shoot uphill against me not realizing that's not how bullets work in this game lol

And even when I wasn't using the map, I could identify were people were on the map and then backstab them consistently.

(actually, missiles seems more useful for determining where enemies are as opposed to killing them)

It's been a while since I last played Splatoon but did the original have the lack of a vertical camera? I might've been willing to try to gyro this time if only I could use the camera in all directions for general aiming and gyro for precision..

MLH

am I crazy or did they switch the jump button from x to b? Or have I just been playing too much Zelda?

It's been a while since I last played Splatoon but did the original have the lack of a vertical camera? I might've been willing to try to gyro this time if only I could use the camera in all directions for general aiming and gyro for precision..

This also, could have sworn I could move the camera up and down with the analogue as well as the gyro in Splatoon.

as an aussie with shithouse internet i can confirm i was still getting occasional lag spots

Wired or wireless? I was playing wired and noticed a signifcant improvement over the network of the original (UK here).

I would sometimes get error messages in the first Splatoon over wireless because my internet wasn't fast enough.

Some observations:
a) The servers weren't on fire for an extended period, which is surprising considering that the time period they were open was so short. And also Nintendo.
b) Gyro controls not allowing you to aim vertically using the right stick (while allowing horizontal aiming) make them something of a non-starter for me. Yeah, yeah, need to get used to them etc, but the restriction on aiming vertically on the right stick is unnecessary.
c) The Splat Roller is by far the friendliest weapon for my noob ways, to the point whereby it was the only one that I got multiple splats with.

Game is fun, will play again tomorrow.

phanphare

Banned
am I crazy or did they switch the jump button from x to b? Or have I just been playing too much Zelda?

I think they switched it. the reasoning for where the jump button is is because of the stick placement, they want the jump button to be the closest button to the right stick

They did, since it's closer to the joystick. Still getting used to it.

Online play has been super smooth. Looking forward to play again over the weekend.

So this was first experience with Splatoon.

The Roller really worries me. It might be cause I'm an unskilled noob but the Roller feels broken? It was the only weapon that I felt effective when using, and I could never beat anyone that had it when I was using other weapons. Is this just a learning curve thing or is the roller a blatant OP weapon for unskilled players?

Also any word on whether they're gonna include a single player campaign? I heard the first one had amazing bosses, and frankly a single player mode feels like the best way to acclimate with and learn the game before hopping online.

Aside from all that, it was great and can't wait to play the final game.

Rollers aren't shit once you get used to the game, they're easy weapons to get into though.

Got a couple of matches in. First time playing any Splatoon. Fun as hell!

And the feeling of playing such a polished and robust MP shooter on a portable... Unparalleled.

Steiner

Banned
That was fun. Had 10 matches, not a single drop.
Tried both the pro controller, and split j-cons. The j-cons are perfect for this kind of game. :)

How was the single player campaign on the original?

The campaign in the original was a blast. One of the best final boss fight sequences ever.

I played probably 9-12 matches. Can't remember exactly. Had multiple games with every weapon, and everything felt great; I had to crank up my camera and gyro sensitivity a bit right away, but after that it felt spot on.

Rollers are still pretty OP so... nothing changed there. Hope splat data convinces them to tone down their ranged attack a bit. Specials all felt pretty good with the exception of the ink jet, which just moves way too slow. The charger felt really anemic compared to every other weapon. No real incentive to use it other than to have suction bombs.

Overall it was nice. I played a bit at the preview event in NYC in December and it's the same build I guess. Weird aliasing and some blocky hands / fingers on the toons that will hopefully get polished before launch. They still have months to go, so I have high hopes.

Day one.

Geg

It was X in the first game, yeah. I think they changed it because the right stick is below the face buttons now.

Still resulted in me accidentally opening the map a lot lol

pringles

Squidmode is life. It's the key to being good at the game. Paint the walls and climb them. Hide. Flank. Retreat. Circle around. Pop in and out to throw off attackers. It's everything.

I spent weeks playing with motion controls in Splatoon 1 because "that's the way to play" and it never got to a point where I felt comfortable with it compared to the dual analog option.

So cut out all this BS about "you're not playing it right" or "you're lazy". Motion controls aren't for everyone, no matter if they put the time in or not.

You'll be at a disadvantage if you ditch gyro controls, I urge you to try and learn them. It feels very natural after a few rounds and in my opinion rivals a mouse.
Yeah I tried in the old splatoon and I played a few rounds here. I'm not at any disadvantage with analog I do significantly better with them

EDarkness

I like the default setup because it played like remote and nunchuck. Moving the camera with the pointer is just too good and makes it each to spin around and get folks from behind. The only thing I really need to tweek is the sensitivity, but I'll do that tonight when I get a chance.

Still running in 720p both docked and handheld? I have no way of testing where I am.

Only played in handheld, but it looked pretty good on the small screen. The models looked improved to me over the original, but I don't have a direct comparison and may be misremembering???

Hopefully there are some analysis videos that confirm what it's running at in docked mode.

Yeah I think that might be it. There were a lot of obvious low barriers which couldn't be painted so whenever I tried to climb walls it wouldn't work.
In the original, you could paint and climb 90% of the walls.
Some had top barriers you couldn't get past to a higher area but they were very few and far between.

I played the full hour with only two or three disconnections as the match started, and one or two instances of the standard Splatoon experience of creaming the other team only to realize, as the scoreboard comes up, that you had a 4v3 advantage all along.

Some remarks:

- Split Joy-Cons are amazing. I tried switching to the included grip and found it far too cramped for my wrists to sit at a comfortable angle, something that was never the issue with the immense width of the Wii U GamePad or the relaxed angles of split Joy-Cons (trained over three weeks of BotW). The Splattershot and Dualies felt incredibly responsive—it was like snap aiming on the Wii. The Charger, not so much, but that's because I'm terrible with the Charger. The Roller doesn't benefit from this so much, but I was still getting the hang of rebuilding habits of using the Y button to adjust my camera height for a good field of view, and with the split controllers this was a little unfamiliar.

- Sensitivity: +4 motion, +2 with the right stick, and I think I'll turn up the latter even further. With split Joy-Cons, I have such a wide firing angle with motion aiming alone that I never want to press the R-stick for more than a flick at a time, just for quick adjustments and escapes. (Sustained pressing on the stick doesn't work well with me; in the first Splatoon I had a bad habit of triggering the click for the special.) I'm flicking it two or three times in quick succession often enough that it tells me my stick sensitivity is too low. I intend to check in the second session today whether I need different sensitivity settings for the TV or the tabletop mode, or if the aiming feels right regardless of the screen size.

- HD Rumble is a palpable presence. I didn't notice it at all at the Switch preview event, but today I started noticing things like a forward ripple when a teammate activates a jump next to you, a directional sensation based on whether they are to your left or right. The vibration of bombs going off also seems directional.

- Muscle memory from the first Splatoon (X to jump) was apparently a lot stronger and harder to break than I imagined. I didn't think I played the original that much.

- I still prefer the Wii U GamePad map to the new toggle, as with the toggle it takes me too long to find my own position on the screen. But I'm beginning to figure out how to use the new Super Jump effectively. You can use motion aiming to target your teammates for the jump, meaning you can use their map position rather than their nameplate, just like in the first game. And while my motion sensitivity was too high to click on precise points on the map, it turns out you don't need to: if you activate a jump anywhere on the map, the jump locks to the nearest teammate. For example, if I want to jump to somebody on the west-central part of the map, and I flick my cursor to the left and I way overshoot, it doesn't matter: I'll land where I intended. It feels imprecise at first, and the motion cursor (a white circle) is hard to see until you get used to it, but I'm finding it much more user-friendly than using the D-pad to target nameplates.

- Don't neglect the underpass in The Reef. There are horizontal surfaces in this game that overlap in elevation, and I think they all count; I also don't remember anything similar in the first game's maps, though I didn't spend much time with the ones that were patched in late in its life.

ASIS

Ah man it's over? I was hoping to have at least one match today. Oh well tomorrow is another day.

Any players who used split joy cons? How did it feel?

Particularly, how was the right stick in this? That's the one thing that worries me.

Jintor

Wired or wireless? I was playing wired and noticed a signifcant improvement over the network of the original (UK here).

I would sometimes get error messages in the first Splatoon over wireless because my internet wasn't fast enough.

wireless.

only happened the once though

Kneefoil

[...]

• If you turn off motion controls, when using the map, it should allow you to use the left analog, not the right. Trying to stay on a moving player and pressing A at the same time can be hard.
[...]

Did you notice that you can choose a player you want to jump to with the D-Pad? Down is always set to home base, and each of the other three directions are tied to each of your teammates at all times.

McNum

By the way, does L do anything? I don't think I pressed that, at all, during this testfire. If we could rebind buttons, I'd put Map there.

maxcriden

Exactly like the demo I played in January. Eh.

Still really loathe the motion controls even after getting used to them in Splatoon 1. Also I got so used to Zelda's awful controls that I kept pressing X to jump and opening up the menu constantly oops

I won a majority of games and thought it was alright. Had a fair amount of fun. Still unfortunate that it's so so similar to the original. Oh well! Still buying it.

Why not skip the motion controls?

(I had the same Zelda button issue!)

Anyone getting "unable to connect. Try checking DNS?"

No test fire currently, if you mean you're trying now. When I did though, yeah, I think I had a similar error getting into the testfire at all, I rebooted the switch closer to the router and that helped, it worked further away from it too then, though not super far. But if you mean errors once you're already in the lobby, I had those as well but they resolved with hitting retry. If that didn't work though I was going to try another reboot.

Cool stuff as expected. I played all the weapons. The splattershot seems like the best weapon from the current selection. The change to the roller's jump attack makes killing someone with the new attack so much more satisfying than jump flicks. (It also makes the Splatoon 1's jump flick come out slower or at least cause the user to feel slowed down by assigning it to a less-intuitive input setup.) The jump flicks still kill fairly well as I remember cursing after getting ko'd by a poorly aimed flick. I held my own pretty well with the sniper getting a lot of kills off people coming up inclined parts of the stage and hitting people far away straight ahead of me with the hose special.

The special for the charger is my favorite special. But the coolest moment I had with using the specials came when I cancelled out getting nuked by inkling-seeking missiles by using the powerwave ink attack (the one where you ground slam) special right as the missiles blew up for a massive explosion.

Numbers-wise: Played 1 hour and 15 minutes. Played 5 minutes of practice. Played 10 minutes past the time limit. My opponents dc'ed 7 times with 3 dc's being from Japan. 4 times I had problems starting the connection to another Switch device. I am going to look into getting a wired internet connection setup for Switch and see if that helps.

My 3 best matches out of the 20 i got to play in the first hour

C7tWWMgVsAE2A23.jpg:small

C7tWccmU8AAqGC_.jpg:small

C7tWg3hVwAAP_fS.jpg:small

Zero connection issues and no lag playing docked and using a wired connection. Happy to say i went a perfect 20/20 :)

Conezays

Enjoyed a few rounds before turning off; no disconnect issues here. One of the only online games I seem to do well in, so that alone is enough for my enjoyment :p

Grakl

I wasn't really feeling it in TV mode. Then I switched to portable mode and my god, it's just amazing being able to play Splatoon on a portable, it's so perfect. I'm usually a roller mainer but i'm really enjoying the dual pistols and being able to strafe so I might pick them up when the fullgame comesout.

Also minor gripe, but i'm not much of a fan of the map the first Global Testfire session had, hopefully they rotate maps in the testfire like they do in the maingame, because the original had a great variety of them.
There are 2 maps in this testfire, did u only get 1

explodet

Well I was grinning like an idiot the entire hour.

When I learned that the map has a cursor controlled by the gyro that lets you superjump to whoever it's pointing at, I used superjumping a lot more than using the d-pad method.

things went pretty bad for me.
Got constant errors and could only finish a single match.

Also playing with the joy-con grip didn't feel that good for me.
Might need that pro-controller

woxel1

I only got one match in but I had fun rolling and splatting with the dualies. Did anyone else catch you could mess with the pitch of the loading screen song by pressing the stick up or down? Not as much fun as a minigame, but a good start.

Grakl

The campaign in the original was a blast. One of the best final boss fight sequences ever.

I played probably 9-12 matches. Can't remember exactly. Had multiple games with every weapon, and everything felt great; I had to crank up my camera and gyro sensitivity a bit right away, but after that it felt spot on.

Rollers are still pretty OP so... nothing changed there. Hope splat data convinces them to tone down their ranged attack a bit. Specials all felt pretty good with the exception of the ink jet, which just moves way too slow. The charger felt really anemic compared to every other weapon. No real incentive to use it other than to have suction bombs.

Overall it was nice. I played a bit at the preview event in NYC in December and it's the same build I guess. Weird aliasing and some blocky hands / fingers on the toons that will hopefully get polished before launch. They still have months to go, so I have high hopes.

Day one.
Roller is OP cuz u suck

phanphare

Banned
I spent weeks playing with motion controls in Splatoon 1 because "that's the way to play" and it never got to a point where I felt comfortable with it compared to the dual analog option.

So cut out all this BS about "you're not playing it right" or "you're lazy". Motion controls aren't for everyone, no matter if they put the time in or not.

I think you're just seeing a lot of people saying to stick with it because for most people it takes a little bit for the setup to click and when it does it's a more accurate and responsive way to aim

during the first testfires it took me like 3 full sessions to get a grip on them but now I can't imagine going back

obviously if they never do click right stick only is an option and different people will have different preferences but imo if you're new to the setup you've gotta give it a bit, don't just give up after a match or two

J@hranimo

Banned
I love the new roller in this game. That long flick will definitely help with dealing with other players who have range and mobility over you. Also Splashdown is the crowd control special.

Might hop on tonight at 11.

Top Bottom