• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Yooka-Laylee Rap is finally here.

ugly

Dk rap is like a passable dad joke. Yooka laylee rap is... unforgivable

I get yxour feelings but you are misinterpreting the intention behind this song. Grant Kirkhope and the team are very aware of the fact that this rap is bad, has no flow and oozes cringe to the max.

It's awesome.

You saying that it's pointless is you missing the point. You talking about composing a better song is even more missing the point.

maxresdefault.jpg

Felt like they needed to make it more original instead of copying the beats from the DK rap.
I think that kind of sums of the game's biggest issue. It was celebrated on the premise of bringing back late 90s 3D platformers but seems to stick too closely to the BK and DK64 design, to a fault.

devonodev

Its not as good as the DK Rap, felt like a bad parody. The music was pretty good, but the lyrics were not great. Felt like they were stretching out words just to try fit the beat.

This rap is the game in a nutshell really. Going for nostalgia without seeming to add anything new or a particularly good game. It's like telling a joke you already told before.

Yukinari

Now we need a Melee version of this song.

Also i noticed the subtitles dont highlight each individual word like the DK rap did. That bothers me.

Fat4all

Banned
Felt like it was forcing the cheese a bit too much, but it's fine

It probably would of been better if it was worse, if that makes any sense

I enjoyed this is a very "knowing" way. It's a good thing it's just a joke and was intentionally being self-referential, as it mentions i like the first two lines.

pixelation

I'll tell you this... it's catchy as fuck i only saw the video once and my head has it on constant repeat... Yoo-ka... Yooka Laaaaayleeeeeee!!!

Skyzard

Banned
I'll tell you this... it's catchy as fuck i only saw the video once and my head has it on constant repeat... Yoo-ka... Yooka Laaaaayleeeeeee!!!

That's been ringing in my head too lol.

This video is the best. I keep watching it for some quick nostalgia and giggles.

daTRUballin

I feel sorry for developers sometimes. Gamers are a really hard group of people to deal with. People have asked for a new game in the same style as Banjo Kazooie for so many years. And when they finally do get it, what do we hear from them? Nothing but negativity every step of the way. If some people have this kind of reaction to something as minor as the rap song, you can sure as hell bet that they're going to be picky about the main game and act like it doesn't meet their "expectations".

I'm kind of astounded by the negativity this game has been receiving by the gaming community. Either people didn't actually want a new collactathon in the style of the Banjo games without realizing it, or maybe it's simply because Yooka Laylee isn't literally Banjo Kazooie. I don't know. Gamers are hard to figure out.

I feel sorry for developers sometimes. Gamers are a really hard group of people to deal with. People have asked for a new game in the same style as Banjo Kazooie for so many years. And when they finally do get it, what do we hear from them? Nothing but negativity every step of the way. If some people have this kind of reaction to something as minor as the rap song, you can sure as hell bet that they're going to be picky about the main game and act like it doesn't meet their "expectations".

I'm kind of astounded by the negativity this game has been receiving by the gaming community. Either people didn't actually want a new collactathon in the style of the Banjo games without realizing it, or maybe it's simply because Yooka Laylee isn't literally Banjo Kazooie. I don't know. Gamers are hard to figure out.

I mean one could argue that the reason the 3d collectathon died is going to be reminded for everyone by the time they're done playing yooka laylee. And the performance issues on xb1 and ps4 based upon what we've seen/heard are pretty inexcusable.

Camjo-Z

It's a vocal minority. Once the game actually comes out there will be tons of positive discussion in the OT. One week, amigo! One week until the collectathon lovers are vindicated!

Sponge

Banned
It's a vocal minority. Once the game actually comes out there will be tons of positive discussion in the OT. One week, amigo! One week until the collectathon lovers are vindicated!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Looking forward to it!

Lynd7

Agree, feels people are being overly harsh on this game for some reason. No ones even really played the full game yet.

Impressions from GameXplain seemed fairly positive overall and makes it seem like it'll be at least a good game and not some dumpster fire like MN9.

Is it the age range? Guys that weren't kids back in the B-K era dissing the style of game because they still see it as outdated?

After tons and tons of 8bit styled games I'm glad we are seeing revivals of late 90s 3D games.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I personally thought this one was a lot worse. I liked the DK rap despite its cheesiness. I think it's just the delivery of the lines in this one and the lyrics just not flowing much at all =(. I'm still excited for the game, since this was just a random stretch goal.

Timeaisis

Maybe it's my nostalgia speaking, but that was real, real bad. The original is bad, but in a fun kind of way. This is bad in like watching that one episode of The Office where Michael promises 20 kids he'd pay for their college kind of way.

daTRUballin

Agree, feels people are being overly harsh on this game for some reason. No ones even really played the full game yet.

Impressions from GameXplain seemed fairly positive overall and makes it seem like it'll be at least a good game and not some dumpster fire like MN9.

Is it the age range? Guys that weren't kids back in the B-K era dissing the style of game because they still see it as outdated?

After tons and tons of 8bit styled games I'm glad we are seeing revivals of late 90s 3D games.

Yeah, as another poster above you said, maybe it's just a vocal minority hating on this game, and maybe I was just making assumptions. But it's just really weird how everybody asked for this game when it was announced, and now just before release, it's suddenly "outdated" and "terrible" and whatever else.

I tend to criticize Rare for not returning to any of their past franchises, but now I'm starting to think they probably did the right thing by making Sea of Thieves instead of Banjo Threeie.

Yeah, as another poster above you said, maybe it's just a vocal minority hating on this game, and maybe I was just making assumptions. But it's just really weird how everybody asked for this game when it was announced, and now just before release, it's suddenly "outdated" and "terrible" and whatever else.

I tend to criticize Rare for not returning to any of their past franchises, but now I'm starting to think they probably did the right thing by making Sea of Thieves instead of Banjo Threeie.
Instead of thinking that people's opinions have suddenly switched, isn't it more likely that it's two different group of folk? There's more eyes on the game now that it's nearing release and we're getting more press and impressions on it.

bethore

That was terrible. I still find the DK rap enjoyable, but I never want to see the YL version ever again. I get that they intentionally made a bad rap, but they missed the point of why people enjoyed the original DK rap. It feels like they didn't know what to do with a cheesy rap song in 2017 so they just copied the beats of the DK rap almost exactly. If you watch the DK rap you can see it's flowing with personality and charm with its cast and skits between the character introductions. This Yooka Laylee version just rips the original song and has the characters all just standing there with idle animations.

People have always been saying shit like that, man.

daTRUballin

Instead of thinking that people's opinions have suddenly switched, isn't it more likely that it's two different group of folk? There's more eyes on the game now that it's nearing release and we're getting more press and impressions on it.

People have always been saying shit like that, man.

It is possible that it's just two different groups of people. I'm sure there are people who just aren't fans of collectathons in general (this will probably be the case with some reviewers I'm sure), but I could swear this game is also getting hate even from people who were looking forward to this game originally. Am I wrong in thinking this?

It is possible that it's just two different groups of people. I'm sure there are people who just aren't fans of collectathons in general (this will probably be the case with some reviewers I'm sure), but I could swear this game is also getting hate even from people who were looking forward to this game originally. Am I wrong in thinking this?

I mean, you're not entirely wrong there.

I think it was definitely the Capital Cashino footage that kinda disillusioned a lot of folk. From what I noticed, there was a lot of hype and optimistism beforehand, but once footage of that world got out, things kinda, uh, turned sour.

Top Bottom