• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Yooka-Laylee Rap is finally here.

Pizza

Lol that was terribad

Why copy/paste the cool rap that y'all made earlier and swap out the lyrics poorly? It would've been something special if they made a whole new (good) original rap song. Not like good good but DK64's served a purpose in introducing you to the characters and their basic abilities and the game's weird sense of humor

If I bought YL blind and this was the first thing I saw, it'd have me real concerned for the rest of the game.

Edit: before "lol it's a stretch goal" it would've been cool if they put effort into what y'all paid them for

tsundoku

If this is an april fools terrible dub-over-of-exact-same-melody maybe the actual version won't be so awful

it takes him a full two and a half minutes to use the words yooka and laylee in a remotely fitting manner

also dk64 may be the worst running game in all history

Pizza

Wow some of these responses. This is why we can't have nice things anymore :(

It'd help if the rap was a nice thing ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think it's unfair to expect more than this, if it wasn't some of the banjo team ripping off their own games there'd be no way this would get people defending it imo

Hopefully it's not indicative of the rest of the game's quality

I don't think it's unfair to expect more than this, if it wasn't some of the banjo team ripping off their own games there'd be no way this would get people defending it imo

That was the whole point of it...

If the DK rap came out today this topic would be very similar. It came out and was cool back then but now it's nostalgia talking. Once you realise that's the whole point you realise the point of this rap.

Orca

I thought it was pretty poorly thought out that they sent this out in an email to backers with 'it's finally here....' which is all that showed truncated on my phone.

I thought the redeemable code was finally available, but no....this.

Sponge

Banned

I didn't think it was actually possible to miss the point of this.

Lylo

I think they should have made just a intro song using a ukulele, that would be a much more direct reference to the Banjo-Kazooie intro.

Ndayday

Neo Member
With the way some of the first posts were responding I expected something new and actually good.

Must be nice to ride the coattails...

Opa-Pa

I'll agree that it loses some points by trying to copy the original too much, but... Man, I can't get mad at this haha, I appreciate that it's a thing so much, it really takes me back.

Please be good.

Not a huge fan. They just copy-pasted the rhythm of the DK Rap while inserting really poorly written rhymes, not to mention the actual rapper was just bad. While the DK Rap was bad yet still fun to listen to, this is just bad. Sorry Grant, but I can't get behind this rap. Nice try though

nynt9

This was amusing. The DK rap is amazing and they probably knew they couldn't top it, so doing a straight up homage works.

thanks for demonstrating the latter with all of your posts in this thread

How about this, if I write and record and produce a song by the end of today and it's better than this garbage you have to change your avatar to something reasonable that we can work out like "I was wrong and have no idea what I was talking about" and if I can't put my money where my mouth is with the song then I'll change mine to whatever you want me to change it to, obviously within reason. (Offensive icons/language is what I'm trying to avoid when I say within reason)

LordRaptor

How about this, if I write and record and produce a song by the end of today and it's better than this garbage you have to change your avatar to something reasonable that we can work out like "I was wrong and have no idea what I was talking about" and if I can't put my money where my mouth is with the song then I'll change mine to whatever you want me to change it to, obviously within reason. (Offensive icons/language is what I'm trying to avoid when I say within reason)

How about this, you write and record a sing by the end of today, and nobody gives a shit because you're not grant kirkhope and are missing the point of this by such an enormous margin you've propelled yourself into an alternate dimension

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I had to stop halfway and switch to the OG DK Rap. No contest. Also whoever is rapping in Yooka sounds goofy as fuck.

DK on the phone with his lawyers
giphy.gif

sibarraz

Banned
This felt too much "me too" but without the charm the dk rap

The original DK rap was an terrible rap with horrible lines that someone at rare thought it was cool, so in the years it reached meme status

This one here is boring, there is no remarkable lines like coconut gun or no style or grace, just some thrown together lines to imitate the meme

Camjo-Z

I had to stop halfway and switch to the OG DK Rap. No contest. Also whoever is rapping in Yooka sounds goofy as fuck.

It's Chris Sutherland in both raps...

The original DK rap was an terrible rap with horrible lines that someone at rare thought it was cool, so in the years it reached meme status

The DK Rap was always intended to be cheesy and bad, which is why Grant hated it for years because people actually thought he was being serious.

Top Bottom