• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Joey Ravn

Banned
That's nice, in terms of hardware. Clearly better than other platforms.

But in terms of software, Microsoft continues to be devoid of any interest for me. Hopefully new hardware means a renewed interest in bringing first-party games to the table. And PC.

Dlacy13g

This is the big thing that people need to realize. Even though it may make current games look way better and same with multi-platform games, if they don't improve their own exclusive library, I don't think it's going to pan out the way they want it to.

Well, I guess that is what E3 is for and why they got this out of the way now.

Papacheeks

Banned
So guys,

What are the odds that Sony will 'announce' the "PS5" this E3, just as Microsoft announced Scorpio? They would only have to drop a few names like 'Zen & Vega based architecture' and 'fully backwards compatible' with PS4 / PS4 pro. They can ride on that hype easily if the "PS5" releases in november 2018. Then it would have been a 5 year cycle as well.

It's not coming till 2019. At the earliest.

They don't have to react, they still have the market, and if they continue with their software output, and exclusive third party support they won't have to worry about anything.

This device is for mainly Enthusiasts like the PS4PRO. Only thing that can make it more mainstream is the price, and possibly exclusive games that run best on Scopio.

At $499 Scorpio won't really do anything for Microsoft. Especially when to the average consumer he can get the Pro version of a PS4 cheaper.

I'm still expecting some preemptive price cuts from Sony anyway to not lose their lead.

If Scorpio is $399 and has a Black Friday bundle with a big fall exclusive, then things will be interesting.

I'll eat a fucking feast of crow if Scorpio is $399.

AwRy108

This is the big thing that people need to realize. Even though it may make current games look way better and same with multi-platform games, if they don't improve their own exclusive library, I don't think it's going to pan out the way they want it to.

Right, especially since all games will still need to run on the original XBone hardware.

Carn82

wishful thinking. companies still want to make money. as long as ps4 is going strong, i wouldnt expect anything new yet

yeah, good point. Sony will probably want to push the margins for both the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro for atleast another 2 years or so.

ironcreed

Banned
So guys,

What are the odds that Sony will 'announce' the "PS5" this E3, just as Microsoft announced Scorpio? They would only have to drop a few names like 'Zen & Vega based architecture' and 'fully backwards compatible' with PS4 / PS4 pro. They can ride on that hype easily if the "PS5" releases in november 2018. Then it would have been a 5 year cycle as well.

They are not about to shit on everyone who are out there buying the still new Pro. Or base PS4 for that matter, lol.

Ploid 3.0

What I find funny, is that it's now the 2nd time that they "reveal" the Scorpio, and we still don't have any idea of what it looks like. :D

When you look back at that: https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/304396492314128385?lang=fr

That's pretty funny, yes.

Except that, I'm very interested by the console.

5KQc4sk.png

I think they are over their silly comment about not showing hardware at announcement. How long did it take AMD to show a ryzen chip after showing demos and specs? They only showed it when it was a few days to go before launch. Announcing specs shouldn't require you to show the hardware.

So guys,

None. Sony has no reason to do anything to counteract Scorpio in terms of sales or momentum aside from try and match some featuresets.

They're dominating. And that'll continue to happen.

So guys,

Wasnt the whole point of the PS4Pro to extend the life of the PS4? They even said as much. You're not going to get console announcements two years in a row from Sony. Real life is not a fanboy war.

I think people will be surprised by how long this gen will be. It feels like it just started getting the ball rolling in the last 2 years, so I don't expect PS5 or Xbox 2 until at least 2020. If anything, the existence of these mid-gen upgrades is to extend the life of the gen.

So ps4 pro 8g ram.
5 dedicated to games 3 for the rest ui etc.

Scorpio 12g ram
8 desicated to games 4 for the rest ui etc.

Does the os ui or what ever require that much?

Harp

Dude the Scorpio have an OCRX480... And Jag cores... Is better to be more realistic here.

I am not saying that the Scorpio is as power as a 1080. My point is that it is more powerful then a pro. But because the pro is also a pretty powerful system it will be very comparable.

btags

Actually, you're correct. I forgot about the extra gig. Didn't recall what it was used for, though. So even less of a gap

The extra gig is DDR3 if I am not mistaken, and only used for holding non-game apps in memory. Someone correct me if I am wrong. But I do believe they increased the GDDR5 RAM available to games by .5 GB

Markoman

I still doubt it. Sony skyrocketed ahead this generation by releasing a cheaper console at right around the same time as MS. If they push ahead with an entirely new console this soon, the staggered would release would surely hurt them in the long run.

I would agree with you if it didn't work out well for them in the past.
People tend to forget that the PS2 sold 50m units between 2006 and 2012.
And once again, there were enough people on GAF who were ok with the Pro and defending Sony's move: "people who bought a PS in 2013 are not left behind" (=3 Years). So why should Pro buyers cry about a new console after 3 years?

Faustek

Code:
|---------------------------------|
|PS4 Pro         |     348mm2     |
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I know it isn't super important....but I'm a stickler for these kind of things and it's Always fun to me to have everything down.

On topic: This is kinda interesting. Seems as Microsoft actually learned and is making a gaming machine first but a bummer to lock out 4GB to the system. I can see the need for it if they are going to supply streaming in 4k60fps but with the Jag, even clocked up, I wonder how the encoding will work. Have they said anything about when they will share more information? This was actually kinda interesting.

I watched the video. My takeaway as someone who has no interest in the Xbox brand.

Just like what I felt about PS4Pro, Scorpio feels like Microsoft's original intent for this current gen if there wasn't a need to launch a new hardware back in 2013. Is the upgrade from the original X1 good? Yeah. Will it be a success for them? The nice answer would be 'time will tell' But honestly I don't think it will.

This reminds me of PS2 vs XBox. Microsoft came in to the scene with a more powerful console, yet. Sony's dominance globally couldn't be touched. I bring this up because at the end of the day it's always going to be about these two platforms in a face off. The difference back then from now is that Microsoft can't turn around in a couple years and try to have lightning strike again with a 360. Scorpio is a big play for them. But now the spotlight is back on Sony's response. PlayStation 5.

Sony is also in a position to possibly drop price on Pro, something that isn't going to help the launch of Scorpio.

Microsoft's problem is that they haven't establish a better identity of how they approach games. They still have that shadow of being only popular because of specific titles like Halo, Gears, Forza and their old COD partnership. Even after many exclusives like Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break and timed exclusives from AAA third party pubs and Indie developers. Still something hasn't clicked for them this gen. Especially since their once super popular shooters started to burn out.

When PS3 was falling behind. Sony kept pushing games as the focus and eventually it pushed them forward to hits we know and love. I know many people have been saying this a lot lately. But Microsoft really needs to go super hard with 1st party games. Nintendo hardware has a identity. PlayStation hardware has a identity. But in 2017, What is Xbox? They want to sell you a dedicated box like the others, but you can also have that experience on PC. It's marketing to different audiences, but at what cost? Do you just provide the same experience on both platforms and leave it at that. Or is there a end goal to eventually move everything to PC? It's going to be very interesting watching Microsoft handle the remainder of this year.

If you are to talk general picture instead of just getting a nerd boner about the Console I have to say that I'm in a similar boat.
I have done everything to rid myself of Microsoft as much as possible and is looking forward and cheering on all the Linux ports that are made but there have always been one particular interest. Their Console. The only plus, in my book, this company has.

But yes, games. To me I see no games whatsoever coming from Microsoft themselves. The only ones I'm looking forward to is the indie games they have on line but even they seem to be coming to other platforms on PC but there is one thing in particular that may sell this system to me. The emulation of 360 games the 360 exclusives in particular. If they can improve the resolution as well as the texture filtering I actually think I will jump on. Assuming it actually doesn't come to PC.
And yes, I see the problem. It's not the new Xbox games I care about but the emulation of the older ones.

Well, I guess that is what E3 is for and why they got this out of the way now.

They still need to show off the console itself and give it a price. Probably show already announced titles or titles being shown off at E3 using that hardware. They need some serious IP help and if they don't deliver that at E3, then, well, good luck MS.

It will fail at any higher price. Microsoft knows that.

Do you think MS is willing to eat that much money again, like what they did with the 360?

While it's "just games", the same mentality still applies with people needing to defend preconceived notions and justifying previous actions.

It's the tribal mentality I don't like and the notion that "everyone has a bias" when it comes to these systems, brands. Preference is not bias, preferences change depending on tastes and so on, that can apply to the systems and brands too to many of us.

"Justify previous actions"

Let's be honest, I get what you are saying but at the end of the day, who really cares in the grand scheme of things? As I said, it's games consoles dude.

FrankWza

Looks awesome but timing is off. Been on Pro since 16. With all these games that have dropped and will be dropping, boost mode, the gt sport beta and having it a year earlier too. I dont know...they should have released a new gen machine. Plus, wheres the exclusive games?

Lifeline

Hell no. These consoles are meant to extend the generation and not just for 3 years.

This generation might end up being longer than the last one.

- Sales are really good, starting a new generation would be risking losing that

- Pro and Scorpio models are there for people looking for graphical upgrades

- Pro sales haven't been amazing, meaning there's not really a demand for a more powerful, more expensive console.

- Games, even niche games, are selling much better.

There's way too much risk with a new generation. 4 more years of One/4 at least.

Cartho

Looks like a monster. Impressed they stuck a vapour chamber cooler in there.

I still think pricing will be key. Horizon already looks jaw dropping at 4k so unless they manage to make games look wildly better than Horizon on it then it needs to be priced similarly to PS4 Pro, which I doubt it will be as Sony will surely cut the price around Scorpio launch.

V tempted to get one for multi plat goodness but I might hold fire till I see what sort of differences we can expect.

Majine

Banned
Don't get me wrong, they need this thing to compete, but it also seems to me that they are attacking this hardware thing that's been taunting them for years with a ferver, that is amazing to see, but in the end is only a temporary solution to a much bigger problem, which is software.

With the hand they currently have shown, there is nothing that can compete with Sonys armada of exclusives, and I don't think they ever can match the quantity, so they need heavyhitters. Halo and Gears aren't what they once were, and the next Forza Motorsport is not gonna turn things around.

Excited to see what they have in store at E3. Needless to say, this will be the most cruical point in Xbox history. If nothing else but for competitions sake, I hope they can surprise in a way they haven't in the last few years.

Tryxx

Not sure how some of you are stating that the Scorpio isn't that much more powerful than the pro when the specs are right there. Over 40% more CPU power, 1.8 tf higher, and 3 gb more ram directly for games. How is that not much more? Scorpio literally towers over it in all aspects.

Innolis

To be honest, I can't help but look at my PS4Pro and feel a bit disappointed. MS seems to have made so many...smart decisions with their build. Things that could / should've been supported by Pro.

I still don't think they are going to one up sony on the console race as this gen is pretty much locked down and they still don't really have any exclusives but now they have a very good platform to build on. If anything this makes me excited about the true successor to the xbox one.

I think people will be surprised by how long this gen will be. It feels like it just started getting the ball rolling in the last 2 years, so I don't expect PS5 or Xbox 2 until at least 2020. If anything, the existence of these mid-gen upgrades is to extend the life of the gen.

Yup. RDR2 is only just coming this year which means GTAVI wont be for a long while (surely coming to this gen too).

I would guess 'true next gen' will be 2020 at the earliest.

Papacheeks

Banned
Why? Better start preparing then.

I repeat, they didn't stick with Jaguar/Polaris for shits and giggles.

I don't think your your considering the other factors that can drive up price like Osirisblack and foundry talked about which is GDDR5 memory and advanced cooling solution.

cLOUDo

so, what is the verdict?
sony is doomed, all hail microsoft?

that ram sounds greats, but will be a huge different?
i see a Difference like a ps4 to a ps4 pro, amirite?

Hell no. These consoles are meant to extend the generation and not just for 3 years.

Yup. Thats im thinking since the early rumors of Scorpio and PS4 Pro came around.

This machines are not there just for the small 4k market.

And i mean thanks to this Hardware upgrades there really isnt much need for a new gen until at least 2021 in my opinion.

Space_nut

Code:
|---------------------------------|
|PS4 Pro         |     348mm2     |
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I know it isn't super important....but I'm a stickler for these kind of things and it's Always fun to me to have everything down.

On topic: This is kinda interesting. Seems as Microsoft actually learned and is making a gaming machine first but a bummer to lock out 4GB to the system. I can see the need for it if they are going to supply streaming in 4k60fps but with the Jag, even clocked up, I wonder how the encoding will work. Have they said anything about when they will share more information? This was actually kinda interesting.

It's not a jag they're fully customized built from ground up CPU cores with everything upgraded. Jags aren't even capable of 2.3ghz

Top Bottom