• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

Are there any cases where someone has been fired or discriminated against based on their sexual orientation? If so, I think that would be an easy case to win in court. Discrimination by any means is against the law.

I think i proved my point.

lmao neither of those cases has anything to do with sexual orientation based discrimination. Is this literally what you thought would be your home run?

Ekai

There was fuck all wrong with that post. Keep on with the trifecta of "why Republicans are the goddamn devil", I suppose. And before you accuse me, I didn't vote for fucking Drumpf.

I'm pretty sure supporting candidates that hate gays, minorities, and the poor is worse and much more toxic. Like not even in the same stratosphere.

Coming from an outside viewer, that is one of the key cited reasons why they broke for Trump. Every evangelical Australian media interviewed during the election cited that they didn't particularly like Trump but trusted that he would maintain the Republican stance on a majority of social issues.

There may be various other reasons, including racism and sexism, but they absolutely do not trust the Democratic Party to do what they consider to be the moral thing.

The R candidate was their best ticket to repealing Roe vs Wade and that's why they voted for him.

Evangelicals supported Trump in the primaries when pretty much every other candidate was also pro-life. They were the ones who ultimately won him the primaries. They supported him because, ultimately, Evangelicals are fascists and want a fascist leader.

sleepnaught

Not even remotely surprised. I've never heard of a single Trump voter turning on him, whether on the internet or real life. Sadly, I fully expect Dems to lose big in 2018 and Trump gliding to a second term. This country is a piece of dog shit, I give up on it.

Ithil

He's been telling them exactly what they want to hear. Combine that with historic levels of partisanship and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Even if it was I am consistently baffled by how they believe him wholeheartedly and take him at his word. I get trusting a politician, or believing in one, particularly when they say stuff you want to hear.

But he is literally the least trustworthy person I have ever seen. That's not his standard hyperbole, that's a description. Everything about him says "I am not sincere or reliable, I don't know anything". The way he speaks, the words he uses, the way he uses them, the way he acts, the way he treats other people, the insincere way he does damn near everything that isn't stroking his ego (which always features more lies, but he believes those ones). I wouldn't trust him to tell me the time, I'd have to check a watch to make sure.

To create a metaphor, imagine there's this guy, named Murderous Thompson, who goes around publicly hacking up people with an axe and taking baths in their blood while using their skulls to drink the tears of starving orphans (who he also hacked up), and then he runs for mayor and says on TV "I'm a caring guy, I wouldn't hurt a fly", one of these gullible voters would shout "HE'S INCAPABLE OF HARMING ANYONE, HE'S LITERALLY JESUS INCARNATE AND ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS LYING".

That's how this situation looks to me.

Evangelicals supported Trump in the primaries when pretty much every other candidate was also pro-life. They were the ones who ultimately won him the primaries. They supported him because, ultimately, Evangelicals are fascists and want a fascist leader.

As someone who sat and regularly listened to a very evangelical prominent Southern Baptist preacher, I can say that this isn't true. They very harshly criticized his behavior and actions.

Are there any cases where someone has been fired or discriminated against based on their sexual orientation? If so, I think that would be an easy case to win in court. Discrimination by any means is against the law.

I know you're banned but these don't even relate to sexual orientation at all. For fucks sake, can you not even bring actual evidence to support your arguements? Oh right, you can't.

As someone who sat and regularly listened to a very evangelical prominent Southern Baptist preacher, I can say that this isn't true. They very harshly criticized his behavior and actions.

As someone who grew up in an evangelical home and was dragged around to many evangelical households and many conservative churches and sees what his evangelical preacher grandmother reads and watches, I can say that it is true. They loved him, by and large, and both primary and election numbers show that.

gohepcat

Banned
Am i missing something?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/27/opinion/trump-isnt-anti-lgbt.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/why-president-trump-isnt-anti-gay-enough-for-the-religious-right

I fully support gay rights and the equal treatment of all people. I feel like I'm the bad guy here for some reason.

This isnt a difference of opinion. This is a serious attempt to start to place some sort of check on a person who is completely and obviously unfit to be the president.

People need to punish the party that caused this disaster.

As someone who grew up in an evangelical home and was dragged around to many evangelical households and many conservative churches and sees what his evangelical preacher grandmother reads and watches, I can say that it is true. They loved him, by and large, and both primary and election numbers show that.

You were dragged around to these houses and churches during the election? Fascinating.

Trump weighs in.

gCqUl49.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/877372660455546880

I'm pretty sure supporting candidates that hate gays, minorities, and the poor is worse and much more toxic. Like not even in the same stratosphere.

Yep. And while I obviously can't speak for you or others, as a member of the LGBTQ+ community myself I can and will safely say I'm done even for a moment placating or respecting any of their, or their supporters', bullshit.

And yes, if you're going out of your way, bending over backwards, to say that actually they're in the right for trying to kill us at every turn and support them throughout the process of it, I'm going to consider you a supporter whether you feel like admitting it publicly or not. No different from the people who will say they hate Trump or R candidate x yet still show up for them when it comes time to vote, honestly.

wildfire

Banned
No they didn't.

Out of every religious group it was evangelicals that skewed sharply to Trump. No other group came close to 70 30 for and against Trump while this group went 80 20.

You were dragged around to these houses and churches during the election? Fascinating.

Obviously, that was when I was younger, but I did go to my grandparents a lot during the election and she often had many evangelical friends over during and Trump was the talk of the group, they loved him, and she still consumes a lot of Pat Robertson, Benny Hinn, John Haggee and the many other fascist sympathetic evangelicals. Nice try to discredit me, though, but I know this group way better than you do even if you have an uncle who criticized Trump.

mhows

Banned
But are voters really that happy? Trump's approval rating is steadily falling, and yes, while the GOP voters remain high, it is steadily falling, too. And even if the doomsday scenario happens and Trump is elected to a second term, it doesn't guarantee a third term, especially if his popularity trend continues. I mean, think about it, Obama left office with almost 60% approval, but he couldn't guarantee a victory for Hilary. If his downward slope continued, it'd be another W. situation, which lead to the unthinkable: a black President. Hell, Trump is on his way to being even less popular in his first term than Bush was at the end of his second.

I'm not sure how much I trust polls though after the Presidential election and again after tonight. Obama and Hilary is completely different from Reagan and Bush (which was more of the point I was trying to make). I believe that if Hilary wasn't such a flawed candidate (Democratic fall out with Bernie didn't help) and Obama had a much higher sustained growth (GDP and actual jobs) it would have been a different story (also shows popularity isn't everything). Also, to assume that Republicans are not at all open to the idea of a black president is in itself racist and ignorant. Look at Ben Carson. :)

Also, I was not making a prediction, just pointing out that if (if) he can turn things around and prove to the people that he can follow through on his promises, they will vote for him again. They will not give him a second chance like most politicians, he only has one chance.

As for popularity, this man is a freaking oddity. He was unpopular and still won by a good margin. Imagine if he ever became popular.

Tommy DJ

The supported him because his cries to Make America Great Again hearkens back to a time they feel was morally just.

Its exceedingly clear that the slogan "Make America Great Again" worked with a lot of Republicans and independents. No matter who you are, you can selectively project what you think makes America great. If you're a coal miner, you think coals jobs are coming back. If you're an evangelical, you think you're going back to a time where gay people and abortion didn't exist. If you're a racist, you think minorities are getting the boot. If you're a rich asshole, you think welfare queens are finally getting the hard stick and given some bootstraps.

Again, evangelicals didn't seem to like him from what I saw on TV. But they were clear in their support for him as he would definitely listen to what they had to say and do what they told him what they wanted him to do. The most powerful thing that Trump seemed to, maybe accidentally, tap into is that the Republican base is willing to ignore a whole list of issues as long as their very specific issue is dealt with.

No they didn't.

Out of every religious group it was evangelicals that skewed sharply to Trump. No other group came close to 70 30 for and against Trump while this group went 80 20.

Obviously, that was when I was younger, but I did go to my grandparents a lot during the election and she often had many evangelical friends over during and Trump was the talk of the group, they loved him, and she still consumes a lot of Pat Robertson, Benny Hinn, John Haggee and the many other fascist sympathetic evangelicals. Nice try to discredit me, though, but I know this group way better than you do even if you have an uncle who criticized Trump.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...cans-once-skeptical-of-trump-now-support-him/

They were split during the primary and rallied when he was the only choice.

mhows

Banned
Just wanted to say thank you guys for the conversation tonight. I had a lot of fun with viewing and replying to ideas and post's that don't necessarily fall in line with my way of thinking. Everyone should be more open minded, makes for great conversations. Thank you all and goodnight!

I'm not sure how much I trust polls though after the Presidential election and again after tonight. Obama and Hilary is completely different from Reagan and Bush (which was more of the point I was trying to make). I believe that if Hilary wasn't such a flawed candidate (Democratic fall out with Bernie didn't help) and Obama had a much higher sustained growth (GDP and actual jobs) it would have been a different story (also shows popularity isn't everything). Also, to assume that Republicans are not at all open to the idea of a black president is in itself racist and ignorant. Look at Ben Carson. :)

Also, I was not making a prediction, just pointing out that if (if) he can turn things around and prove to the people that he can follow through on his promises, they will vote for him again. They will not give him a second chance like most politicians, he only has one chance.

As for popularity, this man is a freaking oddity. He was unpopular and still won by a good margin. Imagine if he ever became popular.

Different types of polls, and no, he didn't.

What warning signs?

I love that I cannot escape the endless nightmare of November 8th and my fate is tied to a party so insanely useless they can't mobilize against someone with a 35% approval rating
Turnout was way up for dems in this district. They were drastically outspent and the GOP held on to a district they've never lost.

But sure. This result means the democrats will lose the mid terms and Trump will win a second term.

danm999

Why would they need to go to court if their best buddy Trump has their back?

The supported him because his cries to Make America Great Again hearkens back to a time they feel was morally just.

Its exceedingly clear that the slogan "Make America Great Again" worked with a lot of Republicans and independents. No matter who you are, you can selectively project what you think makes America great. If you're a coal miner, you think coals jobs are coming back. If you're an evangelical, you think you're going back to a time where gay people and abortion didn't exist.

Again, evangelicals didn't seem to like him from what I saw on TV. But they were clear in their support for him as he would definitely listen to what they had to say and do what they told him what they wanted him to do.

No, evangelicals loved Trump. This is pseudo-revisionist history, to be frank. There may have been a small split, but evangelicals supported him over the 'bred for evangelical vote' Ted Cruz, and by a significant margin in the end.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...cans-once-skeptical-of-trump-now-support-him/

They were split during the primary and rallied when he was the only choice.

They weren't, not significantly. And I love the irony here. You criticized people in these threads all the time for talking about your district when they didn't live there and didn't really 'know' the area. Positions are flipped now, because I know these people. I grew up among them, and even if I'm not closely associated with them now, through my grandmother I know very well what these people want, and what the people they follow (Robertson, Graham, Hinn, etc) tell them. And they want a fascist/authoritarian leader. And that's why they went with Trump over Cruz or any of the other pro-life, actual Christian-y candidates in the race.

Opto

Banned
Trump wants you to despair in this result. He's jacking off to your tears and hopelessness. The 6th fucked itself tonight, don't get me wrong. But if you give in and give up, then it's going to be your Eeyore ass I point to in 2018 and 2020 if there's depressed dem turnout.

edit: or fuck it. let's all line up and take shots of bleach. It's all pointless, right?

YAY! WE LOST! AND WE'LL REALLY SHOW 'EM WHEN WE LOSE AGAIN!

Better?

I mean, why do you even bother posting in these threads? It's the same shit, and you've obviously lost all hope. Just leave it alone, live your life, and make sure you save a bullet for yourself (and a few more for your family members) when it all crumbles down.

No, evangelicals loved Trump. This is pseudo-revisionist history, to be frank. There may have been a small split, but evangelicals supported him over the 'bred for evangelical vote' Ted Cruz, and by a significant margin in the end.

They weren't, not significantly. And I love the irony here. You criticized people in these threads all the time for talking about your district when they didn't live there and didn't really 'know' the area. Positions are flipped now, because I know these people. I grew up among them, and even if I'm not closely associated with them now, through my grandmother I know very well what these people want, and what the people they follow (Robertson, Graham, Hinn, etc) tell them. And they want a fascist/authoritarian leader. And that's why they went with Trump over Cruz or any of the other pro-life, actual Christian-y candidates in the race.

FT_16.7.21.TrumpChurch_updated161102.png

Son, I was one of those people. Everyone I've ever known are those people. I attend one of those churches.

You told me that there was no reluctant Trump vote.

You told me that I was wrong about my own district.

You're telling me I'm wrong when I can cite a Pew Research link.

Stay down.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I mean, why do you even bother posting in these threads? It's the same shit, and you've obviously lost all hope. Just leave it alone, live your life, and make sure you save a bullet for yourself (and a few more for your family members) when it all crumbles down.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Coming from an outside viewer, that is one of the key cited reasons why they broke for Trump. Every evangelical the Australian media interviewed during the election cited that they didn't particularly like Trump but trusted that he would maintain the Republican stance on a majority of social issues. They were very specific about this - they could not vote for the Democratic Party due to their past/current support for same sex marriage, abortion, sexual education, etc.

There may be various other reasons, including racism and sexism, but they absolutely do not trust the Democratic Party to do what they consider to be the moral thing.
Evangelical support for Trump just makes my head spin. "I can't vote for someone that supports abortions, so I'll vote for a man that is a perfect storm of the seven deadly sins." "I can't vote for a man whose pastor said something un-American; I'll vote for this guy that's never been seen at a church service in his life."

What warning signs lol

The elections are closer but (R) still wins in the end. There are no moral victors in American politics lol

Objectively speaking, these are warning signs. Like you wouldn't be pissing yourself in terror if Republicans were mounting credible challenges in D+10/15/20 seats in urban California right now? Be honest.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Yeah, it's good that you edited that. You know what I mean, too. You've given up hope, what do you even care. Live your life.

FT_16.7.21.TrumpChurch_updated161102.png

Son, I was one of those people. Everyone I've ever known are those people. I attend one of those churches.

You told me that there was no reluctant Trump vote.

You told me that I was wrong about my own district.

You're telling me I'm wrong when I can cite a Pew Research link.

Stay down.

I won't stay down, because I know these people, and your not going to tell me that I don't because you have a uncle and now you're suddenly one of them.

Random17

Turnout was way up for dems in this district. They were drastically outspent and the GOP held on to a district they've never lost.

But sure. This result means the democrats will lose the mid terms and Trump will win a second term.

The midterms it is, then? If the Democrats lose = Major panic???

So, in all seriousness, what is it that people were seeing in Handel?

All I know about her is that she doesn't think people should earn a livable wage. And I think she just moved to the district after living in DC?

Top Bottom