• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

People on GAF still delusional, I see. Don't be surprised when Trump does 8 years.

There's elections between now and the Presidential elections, called the midterm elections. If you don't know about them, google them. It really doesn't have a barring on Trump getting or not getting another term.

Gutek

There's elections between now and the Presidential elections, called the midterm elections. If you don't know about them, google them. It really doesn't have a barring on Trump getting or not getting another term.

Midterms are gonna go down Ossoff style.

Kusagari

People on GAF still delusional, I see. Don't be surprised when Trump does 8 years.

There hasn't been a single race this year where the Dems should have been remotely competitive. Based on their lean, the Dems would have a larger house majority than the GOP does now before flipping GA-06 or MT-AL.

If the Dems lose the VA governor race or something then people can start spelling gloom and doom.

frogger

Also I hope people start to realize that people that vote republican at this point love their policies.

They love tax cuts for the rich, Cutting medicare and medicaid, They don't want your wages to go up and they are ok with a health bill that will kick off 23 million people and increase premiums for the rest.

Most of them are voting against themselves, and they don't even know.

How is 2018 going to be any better ? Aren't the more vulnerable Dems in the senate defending their seats? and, correct me if I am wrong, isn't it near impossible to flip the house?

Senate situation is just a matter of the cycle, nothing you can do about it. However, these trends across numerous districts in various states still point to a difficult 2018 for Republicans.

You live outside the US and care about a single special election in the House?

Dude.

An Australian here.

The US government and political climate is a huge point of interest to us as we rely heavily on the US for trade and security.

A farked/unfunctional US government is not good for the world.

Oh well. I did about only thing I could do... I donated. Just about what I thought it would be too, 3 to 6 point win.

I don't know how dems are going to reach these people. Judging by some posters living in the district, it sounds exactly like one of the districts I lived in back during high school. These people vote and I just don't believe it is about policy anymore when they listen to people tell them day in and day out not to trust a damn thing from a democrat.

Ossof ran a good campaign, but those emails man (I wrote a long ass winded email about why I unsubbed from em' after my final donation). They, as well as the DCCC, got to do better about that in 2018. I couldn't take that doom n' gloom shit for too long.

--

Anyway, I'm gonna go check what people are saying about the SC race. I know fuck all about that district and had no idea it was even today, but damn it was close. That's good.

How is 2018 going to be any better ? Aren't the more vulnerable Dems in the senate defending their seats? and, correct me if I am wrong, isn't it near impossible to flip the house?

It's not near impossible for the house to flip at all. Where did you get that? But yeah, the Senate map is pretty solid for the GOP in 2018

The entire House is up for re-election.

It's the Senate that is nearly impossible. 1/3 of the Senate is up every 2 years.

Rover99

Banned
Why are you happy that the same-sex marriage hating advocate who supports the worst health care bill of the first world and is against a living wage actually won?

Doesn't her win solidify we're descending into even deeper conflict and disarray?

so glad the candidate that doesn't support a living wage and hates gays won? you're telling on yourself here

Glad someone who wants to deny same-sex couples from adopting kids and doesn't believe in a livable wage.

Why you support Nazis? Are you a Nazi yourself?

If you are a Nazi Go away we dont want you here.

Jesus Christ. Some people have different views, OK?. That doesn't mean they hate you. So much vitriol and hatred. I don't think Obamacare was a great health care plan but i appreciate the effort that Obama put forth in trying to fix things. Single-payer is probably the best solution. A living wage is like $20/hr at least. I don't know if that would work out but i definitely support a higher minimum wage.

I don't think people hate gays. I just think they have traditional views in regards to marriage. Demonizing people on one side or the other never helps other people to understand your position. It just drives them deeper into their corner. My niece is gay and I love her just the same as anyone else in my family. I think even Trump supports gay rights.

58177a15150000d804530d10.jpeg

Even if all Republicans aren't as supportive as most, that's progress.

zelas

It's hard to vote?

First, if you're black in a lot of this country, your government doesn't want you to vote. I'm not even going to mince words there. Somewhat related, look at how some states handle primary registration: if I wanted to vote in the Democratic primary for say, New York City's mayoral race this year, I needed to be appropriately registered last year. Well, what if I weren't interested last year, but I am now? Tough luck.

Second, if you're young and you have difficult work schedules you have relatively little control over, it's harder to vote. We don't vote on weekends: we vote on Tuesdays, replete with the logistical difficulties of 9-5ers battering polling stations before or after a rush commute and others working hourly or double shifts getting discouraged from voting. We're sending as many indicators as we can as a society that we don't want young adults to participate in polling stations, I think.

And voting is a habit. Almost by definition, younger people don't have it because they still need to build it. I obviously want all people to cast a vote but we might be unrealistic expecting younger voters to have the voting behaviors (or, I dare say it, the underlying institutional trust needed) of their grandparents!
Unless you're being turned away at the polls or are just financially restricted (cant afford to travel), you don't have much of an excuse. Speaking as a young black person, my experience is that most young people around me just don't give a fuck thanks to ignorant cynicism.

Gutek

Jesus Christ. Some people have different views, OK?. That doesn't mean they hate you. So much vitriol and hatred. I don't think Obamacare was a great health care plan but i appreciate the effort that Obama put forth in trying to fix things. Single-payer is probably the best solution. A living wage is like $20/hr at least. I don't know if that would work out but i definitely support a higher minimum wage.

I don't think people hate gays. I just think they have traditional views in regards to marriage. Demonizing people on one side or the other never helps other people to understand your position. It just drives them deeper into their corner. My niece is gay and I love her just the same as anyone else in my family. I think even Trump supports gay rights.

This has got to be satire.

"Hey don't demonize people for demonizing minorities!!"

Maxim726X

Relatively sure this is the first time I've seen this image posted seriously. To put it lightly, I'm afraid you aren't paying attention, my friend. This administration has been actively anti-LBGT.

mhows

Banned
Ossof can come back next year. It's going to be an absolute bloodbath for Republicans then as all signs point to that.

Trump isn't going to be immune to historical precedence. If anything he is the direct result of historical precedence (the party holding the president two terms in a row tend to lose).

Why do you say that? The Democrats are 0 for 5. If anything they will lose more seats in the senate, because up to this point I still don't know what their message is other than Russia and Trump is bad.

As for historical precedence, if he does get above 3% GDP and fulfills his promises we are looking at 3 Republican terms as least (look at Reagan).

Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to point things out that are usually ignored.

Fucking Christ, you did not just post that picture in an unironic way? What the fuck is wrong with you?

It needed to be said, he's absolutely right that there is a toxic mentality spreading through this forum with just absolute pessimism and defeatist nature, trying to be sarcastic and witty about the bad news of the day.

It's not only lazy, but it's fucking annoying.
It's just as equally annoying as homeboy is in Canada telling Americans to stay optimistic.

I can never understand him or gutter_trash for that reason alone.

Why do you say that? The Democrats are 0 for 5. If anything they will lose more seats in the senate, because up to this point I still don't know what their message is other than Russia and Trump is bad.

As for historical precedence, if he does get above 3% GDP and fulfills his promises we are looking at 3 Republican terms as least (look at Reagan).

Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to point things out that are usually ignored.

Why? Why even try to predict 12 years into the future? What kind of person does that?

I think I need to go lie down now.

Tommy DJ

So with millions of dollars spent Dems moved an R +8 district all the way down to.... R +5. Awesome!

So with millions of dollars spent Repubs moved an R +8 district all the way down to.... R +5. Awesome!

This election wasn't a one way street where Dems spent millions and the Repubs didn't do anything. The Repubs spent a lot of effort to maintain their seat.

Trump compares to Reagan in a lot of ways. Popularity is not one of them.

Trump brought on noted homophobe Mike Pence as his VP. He doesn't really give a shit about gay rights and his administration has taken actively anti-LGBT stances. He does like bragging when people support him. That flag is LGBT for Trump, not Trump for LGBT - it doesn't show support for gay rights any more than seating those Blacks for Trump murder cultists behind him at rallies shows he really cares about the African-American community.

So glad I have a six pack rn. Thanks for justifying my alcoholism.

Ekai

I don't think people hate gays. I just think they have traditional views in regards to marriage. Demonizing people on one side or the other never helps other people to understand your position. It just drives them deeper into their corner. My niece is gay and I love her just the same as anyone else in my family. I think even Drumpf supports gay rights.

I mean......millions are going to lose their health care and many will die because of Republicans.

The Republicans literally don't support even a minimum wage or even higher wages at that.

And very prominent Republicans support conversion therapy for LGBT citizens...which is literally torture. And they want to use their religious views to make law in this country that directly impacts millions of minorities in a negative fashion. Not to mention "not hating gays" but saying their marriage isn't as valuable or deserving as others is directly contradicting. They hate LGBT individuals. Straight up. Hell, it was a huge Republican talking point that people like me are sexual deviants out to prey on women and children. It's not a "difference of view", it's "one party literally wants to ruin the lives of millions of minorities" and one doesn't. The reason for the "hate and vitriol" is because one political party in this country supports ruining our lives.

Trump doesn't support LGBT rights. Pence is his VP for starters. Not to mention all the other shit that has transpired in regards to LGBT matters for a while. IE, nothing at all/even worse. He is surrounding himself with people who are very anti-LGBT and pretty much just let them do whatever.

We need to dispelled that the Senate is literally 'impossible' for 2018. It could happen, but it would have to be something insanely special to really happen.

So with millions of dollars spent Repubs moved an R +8 district all the way down to.... R +5. Awesome!

This election wasn't a one way street where Dems spent millions and the Repubs didn't do anything. The Repubs spent a lot of effort to maintain their seat.

Right. Also, how would things have looked in November if there was a three point swing to the Dems? They'd have won the senate, possibly the house, and Clinton would have won comfortably.

I'm not sure why the heck people throw context out the window.

Yes, the GOP have won the special elections. They should have. They shouldn't have had to spend so much or fight so hard to do it.

danm999

Boy you sure bought Trump's bullshit hook line and sinker.

mhows

Banned
Why? Why even try to predict 12 years into the future? What kind of person does that?

History says if you keep the voters happy, they will continue to vote for you. Just a fact of life. That's what I meant. Not a prediction, more of a fact based on my logic and history (seeing as it does tend to repeat itself). Also not trying to argue or fan flames, just like to think of things in a different perspective.

Kusagari

Well, a poll showed Heller trailing a generic Democrat in Nevada the other day, so there's that for the Senate.

Even if the Dems keep every seat and beat Flake, Heller that still gives Pence the tiebreaker.

Literally the only path is to somehow upset Cruz.

Rover99

Banned
This has got to be satire.

"Hey don't demonize people for demonizing minorities!!"

Relatively sure this is the first time I've seen this image posted seriously. To put it lightly, I'm afraid you aren't paying attention, my friend. This administration has been actively anti-LBGT.

holy fuck man, you just

you just

wow

Fucking Christ, you did not just post that picture in an unironic way? What the fuck is wrong with you?

I think I need to go lie down now.

Am i missing something?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/27/opinion/trump-isnt-anti-lgbt.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/why-president-trump-isnt-anti-gay-enough-for-the-religious-right

I fully support gay rights and the equal treatment of all people. I feel like I'm the bad guy here for some reason.

Certified troll shit

Vyer

Lol@ someone busting out the trump rainbow flag.

Either obvious trolling, or you're seeing the kind of delusional rationalization some folks use to justify the bigotry of the policies and people they support.

Either one is equally likely

DCzuwZmWAAA5EIq.jpg

Democrats "Biggest concern" isn't winning, but having to *GASP* move left.

Democratic party is in a death spiral.

Is their concern moving left or using the centrist approach? Surely they weren't expecting a win.

History says if you keep the voters happy, they will continue to vote for you. Just a fact of life. That's what I meant. Not a prediction, more of a fact based on my logic and history (seeing as it does tend to repeat itself). Also not trying to argue or fan flames, just like to think of things in a different perspective.

Voters are currently unhappy and Trump's presidency is not on a good trajectory. It can turn around based on his actions and if things change in the country overall but that's a big if.

To anyone with a deeper view of politics, they would see these results in safe districts as a sign to pivot but Trump sees them as grand vindications of his behavior, which is why he won't even think about changing.

Top Bottom