• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serena Williams reveals baby bump on stunning Vanity Fair cover

Kisaya

I know about the whole darker uglier shit. I'm just saying, let people have their opinion. In mine, these pictures never look good no matter who. If you like them, that's fine. That's you.

I think the point is that opinion is kinda disrespectful.

Why are y'all making this about aesthetics and what you're attracted to as opposed to the beauty and imagery of creating life?

Like just appreciate the symbolism and message of a woman celebrating her body and what it's capable of

Media

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrreeee.

Damn, I swear if you don't have a hive mind opinion here you get swarmed.

It's not hive mind for women to feel a bit disrespected by being called gross while pregnant because it makes us feel like that's saying we exist solely for men's pleasure.

Most of the people you are replying to are actual women

And sure, you just don't like the picture. Enough to express your feelings about it in a pretty offensive way toward women

We are allowed to you know, inform you of our feelings on the subject too

Samara

Gorgeous skin. She's not really naked, more like topless. She looks really happy.

Her body will snap back within 2 days and that is not fair 😒

And where does the "yuck pregnant woman" feeling come from? Lots of it sounds like they should take 9 months off of being beautiful and showing their bodies.

womfalcs3

Banned
She looks like all pregnant women. My wife looks like that as a I write this. There's nothing unique. Well, my wife has a similar body.

Kisaya

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrreeee.

Damn, I swear if you don't have a hive mind opinion here you get swarmed.

I just don't like the type of picture. That is all.

You not liking the photo is fine. Someone publicly writing that the photo is gross is hurtful.

It's not a hive mind opinion. It's called acting like a decent person.

Edit: I mean here's a photo where someone definitely feels empowered and confident. Do you really think calling the photo gross wouldn't put said person down?

serena-williams-08-17-ss04.jpg

"I did it."

Da-Kid

I can see the reason women do it, I see the meaning of it. I also see why some thing it may look gross in the way a bump looks, can look like, and what it can remind you of. So I'm not looking at it with a narrow viewpoint.

I'm just Saiyan.
he_kicked_by_mpregfans.jpg

lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
Kind of interesting how most people assume the "kinda gross" post is from a male. I've heard similar comments in real life and they've always been from women who are terrified of what pregnancy will do to their body.

Media

I can see the reason women do it, I see the meaning of it. I also see why some thing it may look gross in the way a bump looks, can look like, and what it can remind you of. So I'm not looking at it with a narrow viewpoint.

I'm just Saiyan.
he_kicked_by_mpregfans.jpg

lol

Um, yeah, that's totally comparable to the picture in the discussion.
Kind of interesting how most people assume the "kinda gross" post is from a male. I've heard similar comments in real life and they've always been from women who are terrified of what pregnancy will do to their body.

Of course we are.terrified of what it does to our bodies. We can actually die and shit. So finding strength and making yourself feel beautiful despite that is a bit of a comfort for some women. God forbid they photograph an important milestone in their lives?

Is there any point at which men can not be fucking awful to a woman (who has spent her career being compared to animals no less.)

She didn't get pregnant so that people would say "oh that's hot." Honestly, she didn't even take her pregnancy to a sports or male oriented magazine that might have more to do with her job. She's there, on the cover of a women's mag, looking majestic as fuck, carrying a human life, and right on time, here are the men to tell Serena Williams that she's gross. Good thing she's not fucking you, huh?

Lundren

Banned
It's a real shame that people disgusted by a certain type of picture were forced to (shit)post in this thread.

If only there were some way to indicate that a thread is about without clicking into it.

Sai-kun

Banned

That user is male.

Media

Is there any point at which men can not be fucking awful to a woman (who has spent her career being compared to animals no less.)

She didn't get pregnant so that people would say "oh that's hot." Honestly, she didn't even take her pregnancy to a sports or male oriented magazine that might have more to do with her job. She's there, on the cover of a women's mag, looking majestic as fuck, carrying a human life, and right on time, here are the men to tell Serena Williams that she's gross. Good thing she's not fucking you, huh?

Thank you for this post. Sometimes it feels like shouting into a void trying to explain these things. There is a huge lack of empathy and tact everywhere these days.

Yeah, I'm not seeing how you turn this into a negative. That's how women look when they're pregnant. It's not gross it's nature.

I think she's still not due for a couple more months. She should take more pics in August, and then we'll see her baby bump finally protrude further than her glutes. Right now, as other posters have said, her butt bump and baby bump are =

Keri

There is a huge difference between saying "pregnant women look gross" and "the experience of being pregnant is gross." Being pregnant is beautiful, but also definitely gross. In so many ways. It's because being pregnant feels so gross, that pictures like these are important for women.

There is a huge difference between saying "pregnant women look gross" and "the experience of being pregnant is gross." Being pregnant is beautiful, but also definitely gross. In so many ways. It's because being pregnant feels so gross, that pictures like these are important for women.

Yep, another human being mooching off of you like a parasite for 9 months has gotta feel weird af. I sure as hell couldn't go through child birth.

I don't think the pregnancy is gross, I think all almost butt naked pictures are gross no matter the body.

So the human body is gross? Good thing for you we live in a time period with clothes so we only have to deal with our disgusting naked bodies in the shower.

Media

Yep. I keep saying beached whale because around the 8 month mark, rolling over in bed always had me flailing akin to a beached whale.

Pregnacy is fucking rough guys. Let us have our pretty pictures without thinking about your penises.

I've always had a pretty big crush on Serena and Venus ever since they started playing tennis. I wish I could marry them. Their combined intellect, abilities, both athletic and not athletic, seemingly very friendly personalities, and of course their beauty make me wave my hand at my face and make me think, "Lord, do I ever have the vapors right now. I must cool off.

People saying that they're ugly need to get some corrective eye surgery. Seriously.

Also, the symmetry of her body is still amazing even with the pregnancy.

And let's not forget the 37 combined singles and doubles grand slam titles she has. As far as female tennis players go, she is the GOAT by a good margin. She's 37, which is considered ancient in Tennis, but she still be winnin.

And her sister, Venus, has 21 combined career singles and doubles grand slam titles. Hell. They're both super awesome.

Unbounded

I still can't understand the whole "pose dramatically for pregnancy photos" thing. Then again I don't exactly understand the whole "pose dramatically with a gray filter" thing in general.

But eh, whatevs. Happy for them. Hope the birth goes well, etc.

I can understand someone looking at these pics and thinking "eh, not for me", that's fine.

But it's mind-blowing to me that when real live people are reading your posts and saying "hey, that's personally offensive to me", the response isn't to back off and apologise, but instead double down just because you feel you're entitled to.

Queen. Beauty. Life. PHEW!!! Queen Stomach looks like a second ass but i'm here for it!

So many childish little pricks in this thread, holy shit. :\

Right! Like why the fuck did they enter the thread if this was such a problem. I think the thread title made it clear that this was going to be a pregnant photo thread. Some people swear to god they have to make their irrelevant ass voices heard. Like why waste your own time for something you clearly don't give af about...like????

Media

I can understand someone looking at these pics and thinking "eh, not for me", that's fine.

But it's mind-blowing to me that when real live people are reading your posts and saying "hey, that's personally offensive to me", the response isn't to back off and apologise, but instead double down just because you feel you're entitled to.

It's like they don't get the point that the pictures are literally not for them and their pleasure
They are for mothers celebrating an important moment of their lives.

Again, dudes, every picture of a woman doesn't exist just get your dick up.

Top Bottom