• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never ever ever ever ever believe something in an O'Keefe video, like how difficult a lesson is this to learn. Everything is always always always always edited out of context or just outright false.

Q Poll: 16% support for the Senate health care bill.

94% support gun background checks

60% support for Medicare for all.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2470
Great, now start fucking voting this way.

I somehow missed it. Would you please link?

Surely no one could write something so outrageous without a truckload of irony.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ys-first-100-days-an-alternate-history-215075

It's pretty bad.

Headline: "Bill Clinton on the Loose" as though he cut his ankle bracelet and ran for the titty bar. Yes, they probably meant politically on the loose, but they knew exactly what people would think when they read that phrase. I've already started laughing and haven't even started the article.

I also reiterate a point I made last night:

Goddammit I wish we still had Ann Richards. We've reached the point where someone like her could win in Texas again. The lady who spoke at the DNC in '88 would eat Ted Cruz for lunch.

Ted Cruz sounds like a slimy Baptist preacher - "And I will TELL YOU!" - and would look like a charisma vacuum next to a sassy, smart candidate. Beto has White Man Palette Swap good looks and Young Idealist earnestness, but I wonder if it will be enough.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
The #AmazonWashingtonPost, sometimes referred to as the guardian of Amazon not paying internet taxes (which they should) is FAKE NEWS!
in....internet taxes?

someone is a lil angry they found out about his time magazine cover being fake

Diablos

Heller's presser was cool but it seems like if the GOP agrees to not murder Medicaid, fund PP except for abortion and get rid of any mandate he may switch. Long shot right now but you never know. Pence is talking a lot with Sandoval. Mitch will be back, this ain't over.

Heller's presser was cool but it seems like if the GOP agrees to not murder Medicaid, fund PP except for abortion and get rid of any mandate he may switch. Long shot right now but you never know. Pence is talking a lot with Sandoval. Mitch will be back, this ain't over.
So what you're saying is if they write a completely different bill we're all hosed.

If Heller votes for any form of this, he is screwed for 2018. What you don't want is for him to already think it's a lost cause.

Gardner seems screwed to me too but is getting less attention

Any funding at all for PP kills the bill for Cruz and friends. It doesn't matter if it singles out abortion or not.

The worst part about it is that we're supposed to see CNN and NYT as the heroes of free thought or something. Their editorial decisions are pretty reviled in these circles though. The WaPo slogan, as cheesy as it may be, doesn't seem like much of a hedged bet.

I worry that its turning the left into their own brand of rabid conspiracy theorists.

I see more people express worry about this rise of Liberal Trutherism than actual adherents of it. Then again, I don't seek the latter out. The right's brand of rabid conspiracy theory is embraced by a number of officials, and the their primary media outlets (and Trump obviously.) For all the Capital-L Left's initial talk of hysteria, elected officials pay no heed to the Menschs or whatever of social media.

Pixieking

Banned
To really understand what federal funds pay for at Planned Parenthood, you first need to know that federal tax dollars don’t pay for abortions. A decades-old, unfair law already prohibits that (except in cases of rape, incest, or when a woman’s life is in danger).

https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/blog/how-federal-funding-works-at-planned-parenthood

I mean, yeah, sure, Senators could argue that that's still funding abortion (technically they're right), but I'm not sure any Senator wants to argue against abortion in cases of rape or incest. That kind of legislation is repeatedly attempted at the local state level, and consistently attacked by everyone who isn't insane.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-sekulow-obamacare-repeal-christian-nonprofit
Authorities in two states are looking into a nonprofit led by an attorney to Donald Trump, after the Guardian reported it had steered tens of millions of dollars to the attorney, his family and their businesses.

Josh Stein, the attorney general of North Carolina, and Eric Schneiderman, the attorney general of New York, said on Wednesday they would be examining the operations of Jay Sekulow’s group Christian Advocates Serving Evangelism (Case).

Stein said in a statement: “The reports I’ve read are troubling. My office is looking into this matter.”

Amy Spitalnick, a spokeswoman for Schneiderman, said in an email: “We’re reviewing their filings.”

The Democratic state law enforcement officials acted following the disclosure that Case and an affiliate have since 2000 paid more than $60m in compensation and contracts to Sekulow, his relatives and companies where they hold senior roles.

Nonprofits are forbidden by law from giving excess benefits to the people responsible for running them. Case’s board is dominated by Sekulow and his family. The group is registered with state authorities to operate and raise funds in 39 states plus Washington DC, according to its last available IRS filing. It is closely entwined with American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), another Sekulow nonprofit.
Probably wasn't a great idea to have taken on the highest profile job imaginable. Bunch of grifters.

Pixieking

Banned
I don't think a lot of people understand how Planned Parenthood is funded.

No, they really don't... It's a GOP boogeyman (woman?) which isn't looked at closely by a lot of the electorate because "ewwwww women's health" and "abortion is evil rant rant gibber gibber gibber". The fact that a lot of people don't look at it closely means the GOP can basically say what they want about it, and not many question their narrative.

Ogodei

Yeah it's part of the reason I've remained skeptical they actually pass medicaid cuts. This is just a different breed it seems though.

Because back in 2005, Conservatives had a motivation that was more complex than "hurt and piss off liberals by any means necessary."

The NC GOP is now trying to impeach the Democratic NC SoS.

http://m.wbtv.com/wbtv/db_330734/contentdetail.htm?full=true&contentguid=i3MHtee2&pn=&ps=#display

RALEIGH, NC (WBTV/AP) - A committee in the North Carolina House of Representatives will consider legislation that would begin impeachment proceedings against North Carolina Secretary of State Elaine Marshall on Wednesday.

The House Rules Committee considered two resolutions related to a possible impeachment during a meeting Wednesday morning.

One resolution will establish rules and procedures for impeachment proceedings in the house and the other resolution would establish a committee to investigate allegations of misconduct made against Marshall.

The legislation will be considered as a proposed committee substitute, a process that allows lawmakers to introduce legislative proposals long after the deadline to file bills has passed.

Representative Chris Millis (R-Pender) will introduce the resolutions. The move comes months after he called attention to the fact that Marshall was commissioning notaries public who are not legal residents of the United States.

Millis demanded Marshall's resignation in March, after her office issued commissioned to people holding DACA cards, a program started by the Obama administration that allows certain illegal aliens who entered the US as minors to receive a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation and eligibility for a work permit.

A notary public witnesses and certifies the signing of important documents, including birth certificates and absentee ballots.

In March, Millis said he would move to impeach Marshall if she did not voluntarily leave office.

A copy of the draft legislation reviewed by WBTV outlined four areas that the proposed investigative committee would examine:

”That Secretary of State Elaine F. Marshall granted notary public commissions to several hundred persons who did not ‘(r)eside legally in the United States' in violation of G.S. 10B-5, and who were not ‘qualified aliens' in violation of 8 U.S.C. 1621."

”That Secretary of State Elaine F. Marshall granted said notary commissions to ineligible aliens surreptitiously, without means for the public or the General Assembly to have knowledge of such action."

”That Secretary of State Elaine F. Marshall made untrue statements to the press and public involving the grant of these notary commissions to ineligible aliens."

”That senior staff of the office of the Secretary of State, in furtherance of Secretary Elaine F. Marshall's actions, misrepresented the facts surrounding the granting of these notary commissions to ineligible aliens to the Joint Legislative Oversite Committee on General Government of the North Carolina General Assembly."

A spokesman for Marshall declined a request to speak with the secretary on camera in response to Wednesday's news that the House would take up legislation to begin the process that could possibly lead to Marshall's impeachment.

But in an email, spokesman George Jeter referred back to the agency's statement from March.

”This is simply a rehashing of the political attack used by my opponent in the recent election," the statement said. ”The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has authorized the specifically mentioned notaries to work here lawfully. That federally authorized status continues to be unchanged by the new Presidential administration."

Jeter's email continued to point out that the Trump administration has opted to continue the DACA program.

”I can only surmise that the supposed issue is whether those people are ‘permanent' allowed residents. That word typically refers to what we all call ‘green card' holders. The other individuals in question are allowed to legally reside here on a time limited basis that is issued for a certain number of years at a time by the federal government. When we allow a notary commission of such individuals, we keep track of that federal authorization as well and check to make sure it is renewed, if that limited time span is scheduled to end before their commission does, for them to stay notaries. If they lose that time-limited legal status, then they lose the notary license as well," Jeter said.

Mark Knoller‏Verified account @markknoller 5m5 minutes ago
More
Pres Trump interrupted Cubs meeting to tell reporters "we're going to have a great great surprise" on healthcare. He didn't elaborate.

Ryuuroden

Planned parenthood isn't even technically funded per see. They run medical clinics for woman and men, family planning and screening, often in areas that have no other medical facilities and are reimbursed for costs of any visits and precidures outside of abortion for anyone on Medicaid. So basically its like doctors being paid anywhere else by medicaid. Its a complete boogeyman.

Ernest

Banned
Posted this on the health care thread, figured it should get some eyeballs here too...

The Senate Finance Office is tallying calls from people who want a public hearing on the healthcare bill. Call them at 202-224-4515 and tell them you'd like to be added to the tally for a public hearing on the healthcare bill, and they will take it down and ask you for your zip code. I had to call a few times to get through as the line was busy at first and their voicemail box is full, but even with that it took less than five minutes total. I urge everyone to call to be added to the tally. Even if you support the GOP bill, a public hearing is in everyone's best interest, except of course McConnell's.

JWiLL

Banned
Never ever ever ever ever believe something in an O'Keefe video, like how difficult a lesson is this to learn. Everything is always always always always edited out of context or just outright false.

It's not exactly any sort of grand revelation that Van Jones is an idiot or that CNN will focus on certain stories while ignoring others for ratings.

All these O'Keefe videos do is make their "most trusted name in news" slogan seem more ridiculous than it already was. Nobody watches CNN for quality journalism.

Gruco

Banned
Planned parenthood isn't even technically funded per see. They run medical clinics for woman and men, family planning and screening, often in areas that have no other medical facilities and are reimbursed for costs of any visits and precidures outside of abortion for anyone on Medicaid. So basically its like doctors being paid anywhere else by medicaid. Its a complete boogeyman.

This is a case where I think the way language is used is particularly toxic and misleading. No one should talk about the government "funding" or "de-funding" Planned Parenthood because that completely misrepresents this issue. I think even people on the left have been completely bamboozled by this, and the way the press talks about it certainly doesn't help.

Something about Jeff Bezos (Amazon CEO) owning the Washington Post. Maybe he thinks the paper helps Amazon not pay taxes?

Edit: Found an article from way back about it, here's some Trump quotes:

"He thinks I'll go after him for antitrust," Trump said at the time. "Because he's got a huge antitrust problem because he's controlling so much, Amazon is controlling so much of what they are doing.

"He's using the Washington Post, which is peanuts, he's using that for political purposes to save Amazon in terms of taxes and in terms of antitrust."

It would be great if Pres. Trump directed the DOJ to focus their attention on and vigorously pursue Amazon. Taking a sledgehammer to this business and promoting competition would be a nice reversal of the current antitrust views that have taken hold since the 1970s. Additionally, Amazon has received tax breaks, a tax exemption and government-granted monopolies which has helped it secure its market dominance. They've received too much gov't help and the lack of competition throughout the economy is a public concern that needs to be addressed in general ASAP.

Ithil

oh my god. will someone please ask the president to describe the bill.

"Uh, everything is great now. The bad stuff is gone."

"What is the bad stuff?"

"All the stuff that you yourself don't like. That's all gone. The stuff"

He's not even good at this bullshitting thing. How do people fall for it?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It seems like we go through this shit every time. How do people not know any better at this point? O'Keefe is literally the poster boy for fake news. He hasn't reported on a single real story his entire career.

It would be great if Pres. Trump directed the DOJ to focus their attention on and vigorously pursue Amazon. Taking a sledgehammer to this business and promoting competition would be a nice reversal of the current antitrust views that have taken hold since the 1970s. Additionally, Amazon has received tax breaks, a tax exemption and government-granted monopolies which has helped it secure its market dominance. They've received too much gov't help and the lack of competition throughout the economy is a public concern that needs to be addressed in general ASAP.

This is some weird Trump fan fiction. Trump "directing the DOJ" lmao. Have you been following this administration at all?

AndyD

aka andydumi

If evenly applied, sure. Looking at the subsidies offered to oil industry and military would be a great start.

"Uh, everything is great now. The bad stuff is gone."

"What is the bad stuff?"

"All the stuff that you yourself don't like. That's all gone. The stuff"

He's not even good at this bullshitting thing. How do people fall for it?
I think Trump supporters are honestly just delusional. Nothing he does is ever wrong or stupid, it's just a part of his 117-step master plan we plebs are too poor to understand.

That or they don't care because pissing off liberals is more important.

Trump got them to call it the American Trump Health Trump Care Trump Act Trump

Or ATHTCTAT

See it's so much more interesting and attention grabbing now. I can read the whole name without getting bored

Elaine Marshall's definitely getting impeached. Jesus, this is really dangerous stuff.

@LaurenHorsch
With a 20-10 vote the resolution goes to the House floor. #ncga #ncpol

DDbeUY5XgAAh4gk.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom