• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the nice people online?

Hjod

Banned
I consider myself a nice person, but why in all hell would I even try to post on the yt comment section or anything else like that. No way, I don't have time to be arguing with assholes.

Shredderi

I consider myself a nice person, but why in all hell would I even try to post on the yt comment section or anything else like that. No way, I don't have time to be arguing with assholes.

This. There is nothing constructive to be had by trying to post reasonable comments on those platforms.

Media

I tend to be TOO nice, so I don't really engage with people who are obviously looking for a fight. I more engage with those looking for honest discussions, and shockingly have changed some minds in the past.

So basically, the comments section of places like YouTube I avoid because it's just edgelords trying to out edge each other. Nothing worth trying to engage with.

Brinbe

They exist. Read the NYT comments section, for example. I wouldn't necessarily characterize them as 'nice' but they are definitely a shit-ton more coherent and cogent than what you'd find on a place like YT.

People aren't all nice or all bad all the time. Stricter moderation only keeps out the veritable vile and that's pretty much it. Most people are relatively nice by default, it's just that when you reach the nasty shit, it's real nasty because that's where the moral filter is suddenly off.

But I've long since given up on finding anyone being nice randomly outside of neogaf. Creating your own filter system by moderation works too, but then you still have to do the work on reading and banning the inappropriate.

Also, considering the ease of botnets and how the 'less nice' are far more likely to abuse them, you should not bother with any unfiltered comment section.

There's quite a bit of nice stuff going on online, but as people have pointed out, much of it is obsfucated by the negativity. Stories like that guy who reviewed those Tiger handheld games with a significant medical condition that had his GoFundMe go viral was pretty heartwarming.

I try to do little things, like respond to YouTube comments asking for a song name with the actual song, for example.

Cracklox

I'm nice online
(bit of a cunt irl though)
and I'll prove it.
I've made a grand total of one (1) youtube comment in my life. And it was just giving some friendly advice to someone, who was just starting to play and make some videos on a game I play a fair of.

I then never logged back in to check for replies cos you know, YT comments section...

mokeyjoe

GAF seems ok. Been here for years.

Too be honest most hobby type forums are just fine tbh.

Anywhere that's moderated and you get thrown out for being a dick.

lazygecko

Even though we can acknowledge that they are there, I think we are all still underestimating just the sheer scope of paid astroturfing going on in these venues.

Well everywhere on the internet there are good and bad people(Gaf is no exception to this).
Sadly the bad people tend to discriminate and have a superiority mindset and harm others as a result.
The people who are kind however are the ones who show love for all and do not downplay anyone regarding race, sex, gender, orientation, and religion.
I think Gaf has quite a few of these people and they all care for each other. We may be mad at others for doing something that could be deemed unjust but Neogaf believes in love for all(or that's how I think of it).

Now as for me I hae issues sometimes I get excited in positive or negative ways. I have ADHD but that doesn't harm my trying to be the nicest person I can be to all. I don't care what person he/she are they could be a lover or hater I'm gonna treat them as equal to everyone else since everyone deserves love right?

Unbounded

It's pretty easy to be more of a dick the more you're separated from a person.

So the answer is "they aren't on the internet"

Jesus, silencing and deleting threads about that is a poor move. Amirox was well known gaf figure in an out of the forum and a thread for people to discuss display their disgust about it should be there instead of locking and covering it up.
Otherwise, previously laughable stuff shitty people said shit like gaf being a peado harboring den, isn't something you can really argue with.

Bad look.

Catvoca

Banned
Pretty much everyone on the AV Club comment section is pretty great.

They are actually pretty solid. Purple Rock, a website about the tv show Survivor, spinned off from there and it has one of the nicest comment sections I've encountered online too.

Jesus, silencing and deleting threads about that is a poor move. Amirox was well known gaf figure in an out of the forum and a thread for people to discuss display their disgust about it should be there.
Otherwise, previously laughable stuff shitty people said shit like gaf being a peado harboring den, isn't something you can really argue with.

Bad look mods.

I think it's perfectly fine. We know what happened. If we need to show it to someone we have ways to do it. By locking and deleting the threads they are essentially making the subject external to the quotidian of the forum itself, which is the appropriate way to keep the boards in one piece. We know what happened, we have a thread to point to, but discussion is kept distanced, shallow and overall the matter becomes sparse rather than hidden.

And i don't think a thread for people to share their opinions about him would ever be a good idea.

Chumley

Banned
Pretty much everyone on the AV Club comment section is pretty great.

They're positive to the point of going completely overboard with it sometimes. Depending on the show, if you're even slightly critical they lose their shit and start making personal insults.

GAF has the best people.

ISOM

Jesus, silencing and deleting threads about that is a poor move. Amirox was well known gaf figure in an out of the forum and a thread for people to discuss display their disgust about it should be there instead of locking and covering it up.

Bad look.

What would an open thread be good for? People throwing accusations around or conspiracy theories? As the poster above said, we know what happened and he got banned. There is not much else to talk about other than being outraged and shit. That's not really productive.

The scale modelling community on YouTube is overwhelmingly positive in my experience, I think I've had one troll post on my videos in the last year.

It makes a nice change from trying to make a gaming channel.

GamerJM

Banned
I'll be honest, I don't really think GAF is necessarily nice/kind a lot of the time. It's immensely less toxic than the rest of the internet, which is why I come here and like it a lot, but people here can still be savage and seem to place being clever/funny over actually being nice to users a lot of the time, and as is the case for all internet message boards a lot of it seems to consist of arguing. Especially if you have an unpopular gaming opinion or something.

Most of the nicest people on the internet I've met are in small chatrooms (like Discords and IRC) where basically everyone is long-term friends with everyone, but even then there's dumb drama sometimes.

As others have said the nature and culture of most sites seems to lead to controversy, bickering, and general nastiness a lot of the time, which is pretty much a universal rule for the internet in general.

Aeana

Bad look.

Let me ask you a question:

What if someone made a thread that accused you of being a criminal? Not just a criminal, but of being guilty of one of the most heinous crimes. Would you prefer us to leave that thread there while the story has not been verified, potentially ruining your life or your reputation? Or would you like us to perhaps do some due diligence before allowing a forum post to ruin your life?

We would do this for anybody, because information spreads like wildfire on the internet, and even incorrect information has a habit of sticking around. At the time the thread was posted, we did not know if it was accurate, and it was a very serious, life-ruining charge. We took the time to verify that it was real, and since it has been verified, we have allowed people to discuss it reasonably.

As for why there is no ongoing thread for people to simply post "UGH" "I KNEW IT!" "WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!" etc. Honestly, what's the point?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'll be honest, I don't really think GAF is necessarily nice/kind a lot of the time. It's immensely less toxic than the rest of the internet, which is why I come here and like it a lot, but people here can still be savage and seem to place being clever/funny over actually being nice to users a lot of the time, and as is the case for all internet message boards a lot of it seems to consist of arguing. Especially if you have an unpopular gaming opinion or something.

Most of the nicest people on the internet I've met are in small chatrooms (like Discords and IRC) where basically everyone is long-term friends with everyone, but even then there's dumb drama sometimes.
This is something I've noticed about GAF too. I also agree that it is nicer than most places, though.

I always try to be nice on the internet, because I don't understand the appeal of being a raging asshole. Being able to "get away with it" without people knowing who you are doesn't make it suddenly seem appealing, and I don't understand the people who follow this mindset. There's a reason they're called trolls. They act like little gremlins, waiting for the opportunity to unleash their pent up rage at people they don't know and taking small, vapid satisfaction in their verbal assault. It's pathetic.

There are nice people. Many of my best friends I've met over the internet. You just need to find them among all of the weeds.

Bad look.

The hell we got to gain by leaving the thread open? The offender is banned and gone.

Toxi

Banned
Smaller communities tend to be less argumentative, but their quality is still determined by the quality of the people who make them up. If your discord chat is filled with racist dickweeds, then it will be nasty as hell.

SeanR1221

As for why there is no ongoing thread for people to simply post "UGH" "I KNEW IT!" "WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!" etc. Honestly, what's the point?

That wouldn't be too far off from a lot of controversial or terrible stories that get posted here.

I also don't believe that his name was a big mystery to everyone. Honestly, the way everything was handled was pretty disappointing to witness.

The hell we got to gain by leaving the thread open? The offender is banned and gone.

It would be pretty damn cathartic for like 97% of the posters here. I understand why mods and admins just want to move on. I don't' mean that in a negative way. It's a shit show situation.

But I don't understand why some posters seem a little too eager to move on.

anaron

Let me ask you a question:

What if someone made a thread that accused you of being a criminal? Not just a criminal, but of being guilty of one of the most heinous crimes. Would you prefer us to leave that thread there while the story has not been verified, potentially ruining your life or your reputation? Or would you like us to perhaps do some due diligence before allowing a forum post to ruin your life?

We would do this for anybody, because information spreads like wildfire on the internet, and even incorrect information has a habit of sticking around. At the time the thread was posted, we did not know if it was accurate, and it was a very serious, life-ruining charge. We took the time to verify that it was real, and since it has been verified, we have allowed people to discuss it reasonably.

I guess because of all the people on this forum and considering his very notorious history of being an awful human being long before this particular reveal, it's just a little odd to see him be given the benefit of the doubt yet again.

I guess because of all the people on this forum and considering his very notorious history of being an awful human being long before this particular reveal, it's just a little odd to see him be given the benefit of the doubt yet again.
Everyone is entitled to the benefit of doubt. Innocent until proven guilty remember?

I don't usually participate in youtube comments because they're just throw away one liners. I don't really have much to gain by participating anyways.

Aeana

Of all the people on this forum and considering his very notorious history of being an awful human being long before this particular reveal, it's disturbing to see him be given the benefit of the doubt yet again.

His history of being an awful human being does not erase his right to not be labeled a pedophile if in fact it turned out that he was not one. Just like literally anybody else. All we wanted to do was verify that the story was in fact legitimate. The concept of innocence before proven guilt applies to absolutely everyone, regardless of past deeds. Now that it's verified, nobody is trying to hide it or cover it up or any of that garbage that we see you guys spewing in other places. He absolutely deserves whatever the hell you guys want to say about him. Nobody gives a crap.

Regardless, there's literally nothing we could have done that would have satisfied people. We were presented with an absolutely fucking garbage situation and all possible options would have resulted in "bad optics" one way or another. But I will reiterate what I said above: throwing around pedophilia accusations is extremely serious business. Yes, even about a guy you're mad at because he banned you on net jeff or because he scammed you out of money or literally any other thing. Literally. Any other thing. The severity of those accusations do not change in any case. No matter how shitty someone has been, you want to be reasonably certain about things like that before bandying it about. Well, let me rephrase: I want to be. Obviously many of you disagree. I have my own morals that I won't compromise just because you're bitter.

We're all feeling betrayed. Many people shared personal information with him and those people I'm sure are feeling especially betrayed. But we didn't know, there's no way we could have known. Accusations that we should have known are insane.

This is the last thing I'm going to personally say on this matter, because I have no interest in wasting another keystroke in talking about someone who turned out to be the basest form of human garbage to a group of people who are not even being sincere about their outrage in the first place.

anaron

Everyone is entitled to the benefit of doubt. Innocent until proven guilty remember?
Ok but the wording in talking about him is almost like he's the victim in this situation. It's just weird and the restriction from talking about it makes the whole situation even more uncomfortable because there's no room for clarification.

Aeana

Ok but the wording in talking about him is almost like he's the victim in this situation. It's just weird and the restriction from talking about it makes the whole situation even more uncomfortable because there's no room for clarification.

What restriction from talking about it? You're talking about it right now.
People have been talking about it in other threads. Nobody is stopping you in general, but standard thread derailment rules apply. It doesn't make sense to go into a "x game announced for Switch" thread and pretend you're in the comments section of a YouTube video. But if it comes up, it comes up. Particularly in community threads. The only thing we said was that we're not going to have a "HOLY SHIT AMIR0X IS A PEDOPHILE" megathread.

ColdPizza

Banned
This is the last thing I'm going to personally say on this matter, because I have no interest in wasting another keystroke in talking about someone who turned out to be the basest form of human garbage to a group of people who are not even being sincere about their outrage in the first place.
I think you just inadvertently summed up how most threads go around here.

Speevy

Banned
I think the whole thing was handled well. Evilore can't account for that POS's actions.

With that said, I say there's always the danger that members of forums become so embedded in their community that they become oblivious to the fact that you really don't know who the fuck you're talking to.

I mean, I could be a murderer.

O_O

Ok but the wording in talking about him is almost like he's the victim in this situation. It's just weird.

Aeana was discussing the thought process before we knew it was true. There were only about three staff members around when the thread got posted and none of them knew:
  • what his real name was
  • if that picture was him or just someone who looked similar
  • where he lived
  • his age
We immediately tried to corroborate details of the story against what we could find out (e.g. by looking at profile data, by alerting other staff members and asking them if they knew) but the process took about half an hour.

Top Bottom