• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the nice people online?

Well that's why I stick to GAF. For the larger part people seem to be reasonable here. That said, fucking hell gaming side why do you fall apart anytime it's E3 or a big announcement happens? I always have to duck out for a few weeks while the shitposters get themselves banned.

Artdayne

Look into the Stanford Prison experiment. Then watch some Ted talks from Philip Zimbardo on the Psychology of Evil, the guy who came up with the Stanford Prison experiment.

Spy

People online are dicks. The one that annoys me the most is when someone says "Am I the only one..." or "Does anyone else..." and you always have smart ass replies saying "Yes, you're the only one." or "No, no one else does." It's like people are intentionally assholes when they clearly know it's a figure of speech.

Catdaddy

I like here and AV Club is entertaining.

The local news website I visited finally disabled comments for the stories. No matter what the story it turned into a political pissing match, proves some people need "read-only" access to the internet.

Haters are much more motivated to display their hate. Their hate is their entertainment and a defining characteristic in their behaviors. It's not like that for normal people who probably figured out by now that they don't have the energy to do the same thing the opposite way.

jmood88

There's guy on twitter (@supportivedude) who I at first thought was being sarcastic by giving compliments to random people but he's actually just a genuinely nice guy. I didn't realize how refreshing and different it was to run into a nice person online until I started interacting with that guy.

Astral Dog

I have an answer, eventually you go sour and start being one of those not Nice people on Youtube, i realized this whem i met a genuinely nice person in a sea of trash and reduced my comment writting 90% to stay sane

LiK

People like to vent online cuz it's easy to talk shit without any repercussions. I bet you if GAF mods were more lax, GAF itself would be a mess with trolls as well.

Astral Dog

People online are dicks. The one that annoys me the most is when someone says "Am I the only one..." or "Does anyone else..." and you always have smart ass replies saying "Yes, you're the only one." or "No, no one else does." It's like people are intentionally assholes when they clearly know it's a figure of speech.
I mean, its kind of a dumb figure of speech tbh.
Also weird example :p

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Yeah I was just reading that.. That excuse is such bullshit too. People have been banned for far less but because he went into rehab it was ok for him to stay? wtf.
I'm pretty grossed out by all of this right now.
I think I'm finally done with this place.

I'm done too. That post is a lie, or the thread wouldn't have been locked and all conversation stifled and hidden. Evilore donated $1000 to Amir0x and we're supposed to believe no moderators knew his name?

Stay safe friends.

Anonymity and a holier-than-thou attitude usually mean people'll get in arms to attack what they feel is wrong, or just to mess around with other people.

A shame, but you should know most people online tend to be a lot nicer in person.

I'd give you a hug, OP, if I didn't have a cold. :(

It is called vocal minority for an reason. internet is giving all the world jerks an megaphone to shout out things with relatively low risk of consequences. This magnifies things.

Most people are still decent human beings.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Facebook has proven people have no problem showing their full names while being racist, sexist shitbags.

Anonymity still leads to more though. There are a lot of trolls on forums, comments etc. who act normal on Facebook.

But you're right and a lot of it is just the safety of saying stuff online they would never say (most of them anyway) to someone's face or in public around others due to threat of violent response or other consequences etc.

To the OP, it's much the same as why few other than toxic people chat with randoms in games anymore. The toxic people online in comments etc ran off the regular people who just stopped reading comments much less posting (just like they stopped going into public chat channels in games).

I just don't engage in comment sections much anymore (with the possible exception being Twitter, but still rare). It's a cesspool out there.

nullset2

On NEOGAF DOT COM BABY! Obviously! People here are nice, cool and nice!

Related to the OP though, it just doesn't pay on the Internet to be like Mr. Rogers, perhaps because of the fact that people are expecting the raw and unfiltered version of everything on the Internet given that everything is from and by users, devoid of the feeling of sanitizement that mainstream media gives it. So they go on unfiltered because it's what the market wants. That, together with the general sentiment of pessimism that's invading pretty much every circle of society makes for the whole experience you're seeing.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think the main thing is that nice people typically don't have the time or energy to make long, angry posts about things they hate. If they find something they dislike, they don't dwell on it for too long and just move on with their lives.

It's the petty assholes who have the time to form and participate in long, focused campaigns of hate because their lives are so miserable that they don't have anything better to do.

Toxic people don't have a problem posting in non-toxic places. Non-toxic people don't waste time posting in toxic places. That's why good moderation is important.

Akronis

cmhere op i'll give you the succ

OT: It's because the nice people don't want to bother trying to fight against the hordes of dicks who can spout memes and drown out every form of discourse possible

Lombax

Banned
GAF is where I come of nice people. Take that as you will or a larger comment on the current state of our internet community.

I honestly do frequent GAF because I know there will be a good discussion, and anyone who steps over the line will be banned.

Kthulhu

It's the culture of the sites. If a site has a positive culture, it'll be positive. If a site has a negative culture, it'll be negative

I guess the nice comment is often assumed to be redundant.

Plus algorithms will push up comments people interact with regardless of quality. A comment of "I hate Jews" will get far bigger engagement than "good job dude".

Yup, controversial comments will get arguments going, while positive messages will at most be acknowledged by the creator but not foster as much of a back-and-forth.

muu

Same reason that little-moderated online multiplayer games turn into a cesspool. Without the possible threat of being punched in the face there's a subset of people that are incapable of controlling themselves. The decent people leave because it's not worth wasting air for these people.

Once people figure out how to monetize keeping the good people in and kicking out the shitbags things will likely change. In the mean time, we have online games where the shitbags pay the same as the good people, and the good people are fine w/ muting said shitbags or just talking to their friends. In the case of online comments folks are fine w/ ignoring the comment section, and websites enjoy the pageviews that come from shitty people arguing over shit online.

rrs

there's a few yt channels I go to that have decent comments, but in general more people equals a squared amount of jerks

That's one of the reasons I come here. Even though everyone isn't "nice" and there are smug know-it-alls on almost any subject, there is a higher chance and more opportunity for actual discussion than a lot of other places around the internet.

Some people may have problems with the moderation here, but nothing is perfect. I'm happy that personal attacks and unsourced rumors are not tolerated here and if the occasional unnecessary temp ban happens to another poster for taking things too far, I'm ok with that.

PSqueak

Banned
Deep buried beneath a thick crust of shit that is the rest of the internet.

This is true for every site, from the pit of vileness that is 4chan, to even here in GAF (let's not pretend GAF is a place full of angels), you have to dig deep to find the nice peeps.

The human brain is primed to retain and express negativity over positivity. When the shackles of "social norms" come off, as they do on the internet because it completely dehumanizes the individual, you get YouTube comments.

Also, I try to be nice but sometimes I fail. I hope OP and everyone in this thread has a good day today.

v1lla21

Nice people tend to not go in comment sections and would rather lurk and move on. Only sad individuals with nothing but time and a fucked up head care to start arguing in comments sections about stupid shit.

Top Bottom