• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo addresses the Samus Returns Amiibo controversy (USGamer)

Gator86

When did it become okay to attack people because they like hard modes? Seriously, some people just want to replay the game, and upping the difficulty is one way of spicing things up.

Because if hard modes are good, then Nintendo is bad for locking them away from people. And Nintendo is always good, therefore hard modes and the people who like them are dumb and bad. Notice me, Nintendo!

I'm not entirely convinced Fusion Mode would be a thing without Amiibo. I've always thought it was something added to give the Amiibo value, not something that was created without regards to Amiibo and then locked behind the Amiibo retroactively. That's just my thought, anyway.

This is how I see it. Metroid games have never had two unlockable hard modes in the past—only one. They added an additional one for the Amiibo.

Maximo

Nekketsu Kõha;245668536 said:
No thanks. Some of us would rather have far superior in every way amiibo DLC model they use now than what the rest of AAA publishers are doing.

Edit: quoted wrong person.

Name me one developer that locks a Hard Mode behind a hard to get plastic toy.

timberger

Address it but nothing changes? gg Ninty.

Absolutely no reason this shouldn't at least be available in actual DLC form.

No thanks. Some of us would rather have far superior in every way amiibo DLC model they use now than what the rest of AAA publishers are doing.

lol

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This is how I see it. Metroid games have never had two unlockable hard modes in the past—only one. They added an additional one for the Amiibo.
Coming from the last thread on this where the defense was like "most Metroid games don't even hard a hard mode" into this thread an seeing "oh well Metroid games have never had TWO hard modes"? Those are some heavily moved goalposts o_O

Coming from the last thread on this where the defense was like "most Metroid games don't even hard a hard mode" into this thread an seeing "oh well Metroid games have never had TWO hard modes"? Those are some heavily moved goalposts o_O

Well, I wasn't in the last thread, and the old goalpost was stupid, since I can think of several Metroid games that had hard modes off the top of my head. Don't know of any that had two hard modes (though feel free to correct me).

Garlador

Remember when we tore Capcom apart for withholding a difficulty mode from Mega Man 9 as DLC?

As much as I love Nintendo, I hold them to the same standards I hold Capcom to. This is still not a good look and withholding contain that affects the entire game behind a $15 toy many can't even easily find is poor form.

Remember when we tore Capcom apart for withholding a difficulty mode from Mega Man 9 as DLC?

As much as I love Nintendo, I hold them to the same standards I hold Capcom to. This is still not a good look and withholding contain that affects the entire game behind a $15 toy many can't even easily find is poor form.

I still remember, and it's the reason I never bought the Mega Man games until they offered a complete edition. It was a scam to parcel that shit out.

Toxi

Banned
Speaking of Hard Mode, can I just take a moment to bitch about how terrible Other M's hard mode is?

"Our game still feels too much like Metroid. Let's remove all the expansions and the entire post-credits section so there's no exploration whatsoever."

Ridley327

Speaking of Hard Mode, can I just take a moment to bitch about how terrible Other M's hard mode is?

"Our game still feels too much like Metroid. Let's remove all the expansions and the entire post-credits section so there's no exploration whatsoever."

It's pretty nonsensical, even for a game that barely makes sense as it is. Did they just run out of time in terms of gameplay balancing so that the post game was possible on hard mode? Phantoon is a bit of a bullet hell, but they're still really generous with the dodge windows.

CazTGG

Remember when Zero Mission gave you the original Metroid for free? Sure, you had to beat the game to unlock it, but it didn't lock it behind the e-Reader or something akin to that.

Good times.

Remember when Zero Mission gave you the original Metroid for free? Sure, you had to beat the game to unlock it, but it didn't lock it behind the e-Reader or something akin to that.

Good times.

That was before the Virtual Console.

Remember when Animal Crossing had a bunch of NES games that could be fully played? Good times indeed.

This new Nintendo has some pretty disgusting practices. Shameful
Born in the 2000s?

Heard of a console named GameCube? And coincidentially heard about the Prime and Fusion games.

And well, there's is a hard mode available which was supposedly the main concer some had. And there seems to be another one tied to AMiibo like the Ganondorf Mode in Twilight Princess remake, which even speed runners didn't take too seriously.

So the situation did improve. Now Nintendo, offer the Amiibo unlocks as normal DLC so people can give you more money instead of buying 1 AQmiibo that can potentially work across many games.

Never liked DLC but the gaming community had to support this dubious practice. Now we reap the rewars of our deeds XD

Good times.
Remember when the Fusion suit in Prime was locked behind owning a GBA + Metroid Fusion + a GC - GBA Link cable?

Good times indeed.

HardRojo

Sometimes these type of threads can look like Nintendo PR department application threads for some users lol. Oh well, at least there's an actual hard mode in the game... silver linings and all that, but fuck this shitty practice anyway.

Garlador

Remember when the Fusion suit in Prime was locked behind owning a GBA + Metroid Fusion + a GC - GBA Link cable?

Good times indeed.

He+s+got+a+point+you+know+_8778d658dc34e283b76dd3fcbbd21fe9.jpg

Blue-kun

The thing is that one is cosmetic, the other is a complete new mode that is locked behind a toy that you're not even guaranteed to be able to find in stores even if you actually want to purchase it.

I know some people think this is "OK", and like, I have no issues with Amiibo having this functionality, but the real question here is why it must be exclusive to them. Amiibo have been selling well enough with or without these dick moves by Nintendo, and scalpers do a good enough job of ensuring you can't even find it, so why not have the Amiibo unlock Fusion Mode AND have it avaible as simple DLC on the eShop, too, if they're so inclined in having you pay more for this?

It's still locking a gameplay mode behind DLC, but hey, at least it's a DLC that you can actually get. I'm sure there'd be far less outrage about this issue, but Nintendo always seems really damn willing to take the hardest path and step on someone's toes without any real need to do so.

HardRojo

Sounds like it's just another hard mode. But instead of waiting to see what it actually is let's bring out the pitchforks.

Heh, how about reading the article first before complaining about the complainers? Several threads where Nintendo is rightfully criticized are so hard to read sometimes. Like that thread where the OP was being respectful and bringing attention to the Splatoon 2 low tick rate problem, people wasted no time dismissing it and claiming it was a non-issue.

Toxi

Banned
It's pretty nonsensical, even for a game that barely makes sense as it is. Did they just run out of time in terms of gameplay balancing so that the post game was possible on hard mode? Phantoon is a bit of a bullet hell, but they're still really generous with the dodge windows.
I think the idea of a hard mode without items could work if Other M had a better combat system. But Other M's combat is boring, simplistic, and often ridiculously imprecise (just try using the Overblast and see how many times it fails to trigger when it should). Removing all the exploration and the game's last boss so there's nothing left but the combat is baffling.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Well, I wasn't in the last thread, and the old goalpost was stupid, since I can think of several Metroid games that had hard modes off the top of my head. Don't know of any that had two hard modes (though feel free to correct me).
Prime 3 had two additional difficulties right?

Normal
Veteran (Hard)
Hypermode (Very Hard)

Still mildly interested in this remake. Played Metroid/ZM and Super but never 2. So this'd be good for filling in that gap a million years later.

I see the defense force is still strong, simply because Nintendo. Holy shit, it's a freaking difficulty mode (harder than Hard it seems?) behind an amiibo, that's still shitty af.

Edit: And to the people bringing up The Last of Us, Grounded mode didn't come until later and it was included in the PS4 version, not sure whether the $5 for it on PS3 included something other than the new difficulty.

Add to that it wasn't tied to a limited quantity physical object.

The thing is that one is cosmetic, the other is a complete new mode that is locked behind a toy that you're not even guaranteed to be able to find in stores even if you actually want to purchase it.

I know some people think this is "OK", and like, I have no issues with Amiibo having this functionality, but the real question here is why it must be exclusive to them. Amiibo have been selling well enough with or without these dick moves by Nintendo, and scalpers do a good enough job of ensuring you can't even find it, so why not have the Amiibo unlock Fusion Mode AND have it avaible as simple DLC on the eShop, too, if they're so inclined in having you pay more for this?

It's still locking a gameplay mode behind DLC, but hey, at least it's a DLC that you can actually get. I'm sure there'd be far less outrage about this issue, but Nintendo always seems really damn willing to take the hardest path and step on someone's toes without any real need to do so.

Exactly.

There would be far less or no complaints if there was simply an option to buy the fusion mode and costume directly on the eshop without the amiibo shit.

Scalpers could continue scalping to people who just want to collect the toys and people who just want to have the extra content could buy it for like $5 on eshop. Win-win except for the people who like to collect toys and can't find them on the shelves.

I suspect the people who keep ignoring the actual point here and instead bring up that other games also charge for hard modes, know exactly what they are doing. It's the classic example of creating a strawman.

royox

Good times indeed.

I'm really tired of reading this thing.

IT WAS NOT THE SAME. They rewarded players who bought both games with a COSMETIC. A damn COSMETIC thing and the god damn GBA-Cube cable came free with some Game Cube games (FF crystal Chronicles for example). So you could get this cool COSMETIC thing just by being a Metroid fan buying both games because, ya know, if you are a metroid fan you GET THE GAMES.

Now they are locking a whole dificulty content behind a stupid overpriced toy. It's not even a similar situation.

Stop trying to compare both situations, they are diferent in every damn level.

I dont get why people are so mad about a mode that wouldnt have existed without the amiibo. Its weird to think that people would have been happier in an alternate universe where this mode doesnt exist at all. At least you have a way to get it. Cant get the amiibo? Just buy those tag things for $2. It's not your fault Nintendo doesn't know how to stock amiibo still after 3 years of them being here...

Giga Man

I was more upset about the music gallery and two art galleries I won't be rewarded by completing the game, but those will show up online anyway so it doesn't even matter.

Nydius

I dont get why people are so mad about a mode that wouldnt have existed without the amiibo. Its weird to think that people would have been happier in an alternate universe where this mode doesnt exist at all. At least you have a way to get it. Cant get the amiibo? Just buy those tag things for $2. It's not your fault Nintendo doesn't know how to stock amiibo still after 3 years of them being here...

You're making a lot of assumptions here:
"a mode that wouldnt have existed without the amiibo": You can't say this with absolute certainty. It could have existed just fine without the amiibo as an in game unlock.

"Just buy those tag things for $2. It's not your fault Nintendo doesn't know how to stock...": So your solution to a shitty practice is to tell people to participate in a secondary shitty practice of piracy because Nintendo can't even get enough product out FOR their shitty practice.

How about just admitting it's a shitty practice and getting rid of it entirely?

CuNi

So you manage to remember the last thread but not the posts you read?
There was ONE post that stated that Metroid Fusion did not have Hard Mode in any but the Japanese Version, which is true.

Nice try, but your pitchfork will have to wait for a different time.

"a mode that wouldnt have existed without the amiibo": You can't say this with absolute certainty. It could have existed just fine without the amiibo as an in game unlock.

"Just buy those tag things for $2. It's not your fault Nintendo doesn't know how to stock...": So your solution to a shitty practice is to tell people to participate in a secondary shitty practice of piracy because Nintendo can't even get enough product out FOR their shitty practice.

It is slightly shitty practice, but I think it's ok and I am supporting it.
Since amiibos were promised with some digital value, I want to get it.
Fusion difficulty is the best way. No real unique content is locked behind it, but a neat addition to the game for those that buy the amiibo.

I'm really tired of reading this thing.

IT WAS NOT THE SAME. They rewarded players who bought both games with a COSMETIC. A damn COSMETIC thing and the god damn GBA-Cube cable came free with some Game Cube games (FF crystal Chronicles for example). So you could get this cool COSMETIC thing just by being a Metroid fan buying both games because, ya know, if you are a metroid fan you GET THE GAMES.

Now they are locking a whole dificulty content behind a stupid overpriced toy. It's not even a similar situation.

Stop trying to compare both situations, they are diferent in every damn level.

So locking a mere difficulty, is way worse than forcing people to buy 2 systems + games. K
And saying "Most had it because Metroid Fans!", how is that argument any different than saying "most Metroid fans will get the amiibos because, duh! Metroid fans!" ??
But yeah.. a 15 bucks plastic toy is the overpriced issue here, not a totaly seperate gaming system.

I'm not entirely convinced Fusion Mode would be a thing without Amiibo. I've always thought it was something added to give the Amiibo value, not something that was created without regards to Amiibo and then locked behind the Amiibo retroactively. That's just my thought, anyway.

Best thing for Nintendo to do is at least allow it to be purchased separately without the Amiibo, but they probably won't.

If it's adding to the value of the amiibo, you're making (don't take that literally) people pay for the other part that's also adding value and they may have no interest in: the physical object. I don't know that a hard mode is worth 13USD on its own.

Another thing to consider, but that I'm not sure about, is that the sales from the amiibo just existing may be profitable enough that any additional cost of creating the content itself is still being paid for. If they were to then include the mode for free, the content exists because of the amiibo, but people aren't being forced to buy it.

And again, if this just turns out to be a palette swapped hard-mode, Nintendo's gone shittily deceptive.

Fukuzatsu

Seeing as Nintendo don't tend to make a ton of these amounts (or at least not enough), wouldn't it make them more money to just offer the added content for their respective games after production of a particular Amiibo has ceased? That way they can still make money off the content they made for it without making more Amiibo. I mean it still wouldn't be ideal and the pricing would likely be outrageous but wouldn't that be better for all involved than the current model?

Newk86

So I've never owned and Amiibo before and have never wanted one. Now that I'm hearing that they are rare though, and that this one will be necessary to unlock ultra hard mode, I think I'm going to buy it.

I do NOT support the practice, and heck I'm actually the biggest believer of waiting for GOTY editions for games with DLC, and personally I choose to play multiplayer either locally or on Steam rather than signing up for PS+. I am willing to buy this single Amiibo thing though, just this ONE time. I am fine with owning one of them.

My question is; where do you buy them from and which one do I need specifically to unlock ultra hard? It looks like there are multiple Metroid ones on Amazon, and none of them say anything about unlocks. And two of them (I assume the newer ones) say that they are unavailable; does this mean the same as sold out?

sheaaaa

So locking a mere difficulty, is way worse than forcing people to buy 2 systems + games. K
And saying "Most had it because Metroid Fans!", how is that argument any different than saying "most Metroid fans will get the amiibos because, duh! Metroid fans!" ??
But yeah.. a 15 bucks plastic toy is the overpriced issue here, not a totaly seperate gaming system.

You're misunderstanding on purpose. We're talking about cosmetic content vs a mode, not about what you have to buy to unlock each. Most people find locking cosmetic content behind a paywall forgivable, not so much for actual modes.

sheaaaa

Edit: quoted wrong person.

How is Amiibo a superior model than offering the additional content for actual money - for example, $5 - which is what the vast majority of publishers do?

Dreavus

Are we sure it's not "hard mode but with the Fusion suit" that gets unlocked? That's what they're making it sound like. If so, that's a very strange way to "clarify" it.

royox

In what universe a difficulty mode equals a god damn COSMETIC SKIN?

It was just a cosmetic thing. It changed 0 things of the gameplay, only your skin in a fps game where you only see Samus when you use a god damn elevator.

Also I'm a metroid fan buy i don't care about toys or figurines. I leave that stuff for the kids and scalpers.

To assume the opposite is a little silly, though. This fusion mode has no history in the Metroid franchise, at all. Metroid has had a hard mode before, and this one has it too, without the amiibo. There is no history of alternate costumes. The only amiibo I can think of that MIGHT have been cut content was the Twilight Princess amiibo for BOTW.

I just don't see a good reason to assume the opposite. You don't need "absolute certainty" to assume, far and away, the most likely scenario. Maybe not in a court of law, but this isn't that.

Yeah it could have existed just fine without the amiibo, I suppose. But that's not how any of this works. These things take extra time, and extra money, all of which Nintendo gave them because they knew they would release an amiibo along with it.

You are being waaaaay too altruistic. Nintendo doesn't even seem to care. Piracy, in no way, is hurting amiibo. They are selling out, and no one can get them, except scalpers, which Nintendo has no interest in curbing. I guess, purely philosophically, it's bad, but, realistically, it does zero damage or wrongdoing.

Yeah, the practice isn't that great, but it's not as one sided as you make it out to be. On one hand, it keeps valuable content locked behind a toy, on the other, it's the most valuable amiibo. For the most part, amiibo haven't given anything that good. This is one of the first ones to actually make the purchase worthwhile. I don't mind Nintendo experimenting by giving amiibo better content, overall. They do have to figure out the stock issues, though, or give some other solution. Until then, the tags are just fine, IMO. I'm a little hesitant to say, "Just release the content separately", as that kind of ruins the charm of amiibo. I support amiibo's in their current form, as a statue/DLC hybrid. It's a cool idea. I also doubt Nintendo would make the stuff that often goes into amiibo, without amiibo, as they don't really seem to ever fit as standalone DLC.

Like I said, I see it as, it either exists as it does, or it doesn't exist at all. I'd rather it exist.

Feffe

Remember when they locked an entire sub quest, sometimes collectibles and a character behind a coop mode you could play only with a GBA and a link cable?

Good times indeed.

But no one complained Wind Waker was an incomplete game without the Tingle Tuner. It was a nice extra, that's all. So it's Nintendo implementation of amiibo in most of their games, Samus Returns included. But oh well.

Estoc

Wouldn't it make more sense then to sell the extra mode as DLC as more people will be able to throw money at them? Since apparently, making a new costume and changing a number or two cost an arm and a leg these days. These poor one-arm one-leg developers, someone think about their next game! They would be armless and legless!!! :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also I'm a metroid fan buy i don't care about toys or figurines. I leave that stuff for the kids and scalpers.

I know Amiibo are not everyone's cup of tea, but can we stop this oh so not subtle shaming of those who are into collectables by calling them kids' toys?

After all, it's pretty hypocritical considering you're on a forum to talk about another form of kids' toy.

Top Bottom