• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

72 years ago today, the US dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki, Japan

Piecake

Those words aren't mine, those are the words of Tsuyoshi Hasegawa, famous japanese-american historian in "Racing the Enemy: Stalin, Truman, and the Surrender of Japan" (2005).

And it says Japan would have make peace because of their incapacity to win oversea. And by the fear of a USSR annexion of their northern islands.

An invasion wasn't needed at all. They feared the Soviets a lot more than USA.

But then, what USA would have won if not a total capitulation? Cold war began when USSR crossed the Manchurian border.

A staple of Hiroshima Revisionism has been the contention that the government of Japan was prepared to surrender during the summer of 1945, with the sole proviso that its sacred emperor be retained. President Harry S. Truman and those around him knew this through intercepted Japanese diplomatic messages, the story goes, but refused to extend such an assurance because they wanted the war to continue until atomic bombs became available. The real purpose of using the bombs was not to defeat an already-defeated Japan, but to give the United States a club to use against the Soviet Union. Thus Truman purposely slaughtered hundreds of thousands of Japanese, not to mention untold thousands of other Asians and Allied servicemen who would perish as the war needlessly ground on, primarily to gain diplomatic advantage.

One might think that compelling substantiation would be necessary to support such a monstrous charge, but the revisionists have been unable to provide a single example from Japanese sources. What they have done instead amounts to a variation on the old shell game. They state in their own prose that the Japanese were trying to surrender without citing any evidence and, to show that Truman was aware of their efforts, cite his diary entry of July 18 referring to a ”telegram from Jap Emperor asking for peace." There it is! The smoking gun! But it is nothing of the sort. The message Truman cited did not refer to anything even remotely resembling surrender. It referred instead to the Japanese foreign office's attempt (under the suspicious eyes of the military) to persuade the Soviet Union to broker a negotiated peace that would have permitted the Japanese to retain their prewar empire and their imperial system (not just the emperor) intact. No American president could have accepted such a settlement, as it would have meant abandoning the United States' most basic war aims.

In particular, Sherwin and Bird berated me for failing to refer to Tsuyoshi Hasegawa's Racing the Enemy: Stalin, Truman, and the Surrender of Japan. ”Hasegawa's research into Soviet and Japanese archives," they wrote, ”is replete with massive new and important ‘wisps' of evidence about the causes of Japan's surrender. It seems telling to us that his work is ignored." What Sherwin and Bird apparently did not know, or hoped their readers did not know, was that although Hasegawa agreed with revisionists on a number of issues he explicitly rejected the early surrender thesis. Indeed, Hasegawa in no uncertain terms wrote that ”Without the twin shocks of the atomic bombs and the Soviet entry into the war, the Japanese never would have surrendered in August." So much for the ”massive new and important ‘wisps' of evidence."

Undeterred by this fiasco and still unable to produce even a single document from Japanese sources, Bird has continued to peddle the fiction that ”peace" meant the same thing as ”surrender."

http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/52502

legend166

That we humans and especially people with "power" finally get it in through their skulls that war should never be a means to an end but sadly with people like Trump, erdogan, Kim jong un getting places of power easily that might not happen for a long while still.

Sure those atomic bombs stopped the war but hopefully that was a lesson that they should never be used again.

But still how can anyone defend a atomic bomb drop? That's just crazy. Even if t ended a war it's still a very bad way to end one.

How would you have gone about ending the war?

4Tran

Just ask the ultimate question then. Why making them surrender is important when they can't harm you no more? Let them come to end this.
But Japan was still causing harm to the US and its allies at the time so why back off?

Fair points. I'll still hold to the revisionist claim regarding the surprise invasion being the primary motivating factor behind the surrender. It seems like a more convincing argument. What are your thoughts on Gar Alperovitz?
Oh, I agree that the Soviet invasion was the most important factor in the Japanese surrender. In fact, I even agree with Hasegawa that it was probably sufficient on its own even if the nuclear bombs were never used. However, there was no way for the Americans to know about what was happening at Japanese high command , and it's doubtful that the Americans knew about the Soviet plans so these factors couldn't be used in their planning.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just listened to an interesting radiolab podcast that revealed to me that when Truman was planning the strike, he wrote in his notepad that he was bombing a military base, and that no civilians, women, or children would be killed.

He didn't quite realize what he had ordered until the death toll and information came the day after Hiroshima. Then the strike happened on Nagasaki 3 days later, and Truman didn't exactly realize that it was happening. There were.plans to drop a 3rd nuke, but Truman immediately told them to stop and not do anything without his direct order. That's what started the push towards the president having complete control over the nukes.

I'm going to need a citation on that notepad. He kept a diary, which is widely known. His fuckup, perhaps on purpose, of mentioning Hiroshima as a military base was in a public announcement. The rest of the stuff isn't there.

We know Truman received intel on what happened in Hiroshima, pictures and reports provided, on August 10th. That same day Truman decided to stop any further atomic bombs from being used.

It is possible he didn't authorize the specific operation. His Secretary of War and Secretary of State signed for it.

Hopefully nuclear weapons are not used again against civilian population.

That's not a contradiction at all unless you very narrowly define consensus as a simple majority thinking something. Even if 80% of historians agree that it wasn't necessary as long as they agreed that the opposing arguments had weight and merited serious consideration there wouldn't be consensus. Not to mention that's ignoring the fact that people who don't think it was necessary don't necessarily have the same view about why it was unnecessary in the first place or the meaning of unnecessary.

Saying a person who had this worldview believed A, and therefore A is wrong, is bad reasoning. It just is. The relationship between position A and that worldview might be a wonderful discussion worth having but not in relation to a determination of validity.

This is turning into a historiography discussion, which is a much more interesting topic than shameless speculation about what generals/soldiers were thinking at that time.

Josh5890

One of the last threads we had, a guy was arguing that WWII shouldn't have even been fought because dropping pamphlets and a peace march would have stopped Germany/Japan from invading. I haven't read the whole thread but hopefully we haven't gone that far this time.

....... BRB finding that post

dinoric

Banned
It's pretty widely accepted now that many more innocent people (and soldiers) would have died if the bombs weren't dropped.

So... Not really sure what grounds you're making this argument on.

There is still no way of knowing what would of happened if the bombs had not been dropped.

legend166

....... BRB finding that post

I found it! It was from the 70 year thread. It was better than I remembered.

I would have started by dropping supplies and information on Germany. Food for the hungry. Dollars, francs and pounds - about 130 billion marks worth. Photos of families. Pictures drawn by children. Photos of children playing together, with captions like: "two of these are Jewish, can you tell which ones?" Leaflets too, questioning the futility of war, promoting compassion and so on. I would drop all my guns, without bullets, and broken fragments of artillery equipment. Books from the greatest authors, art from the greatest painters, and music from the greatest composers. All the treasures of my people.

Then I would write a letter and make sure everyone read it. It would tell the Germans that me and my people were coming over the border, unarmed and well-fed, to march on Berlin and put the leaders of the Nazi party on trial for their crimes. It would ask the people of Germany for their support in this. The letter would predict the possible massacre that the German military would inflict on foreign protesters. It would also beg the common soldier to wake up, and refuse to follow such mad orders. But the letter would emphasise, massacre or not, the protest would go on to the last man, woman and child. Some things are worth dying for

That would be the gist of it anyway. There was something like 20 million combat deaths in WW2, estimates vary. That's like three and a half Holocausts. Better to die a misguided idealist than have that much blood on your hands. If the protesters were all killed and the Nazi party kept its power, then it's better to be dead than a member of the human race anyway. Just my preference though, would probably be carted off to an asylum for even suggesting it

Log4Girlz

RIP those who died. The world has seen far less bloodshed than it otherwise would have if it weren't for their sacrifice.

Oberon

Banned
At least those two countries were at War when it happend. How about when countries like France used their imperialistic power to test their bombs on foreign lands and let civiliance suffer because of the radiation.
Horrible wicked weapons. I feel like the nazis where the best thing that coudl've happend to all other countries. Because it doesn't matter how bad you are, at least you're better than the nazis. No wonder why everyone always wants to go back to WW2. Even the Japan's own little Nazi like escapades were basically pardoned by the allies, since it suited them.

Cocaloch

Saying a person who had this worldview believed A, and therefore A is wrong, is bad reasoning. It just is.

I mean it's not a great argument, as I've said over and over again, because it's insufficient. That's not to say it's irrelevant as you've said.

The relationship between position A and that worldview might be a wonderful discussion worth having but not in relation to a determination of validity.

We keep on going in circles around this, it's really the key issue. We aren't ever really getting at the past in historical discussions we are making better or worse arguments for how to think about the past. One's position in the present clearly affects how one sees the past, and could be pertinent information for someone hearing the argument. You aren't just taking issue with me on this front either. Everyone I've ever met in the profession is in agreement with me on this issue as far as I know.

I'll grant you people used to lean more towards what you're suggesting, but that was ultimately part of a very harmful program of thinking about what history should be.

An appeal to authority isn't about using bits of information from experts to support an argument, but about offering the credentials of the source as the only support of validity for that piece of information and as a shield against all criticism.

Right, and I honestly believe that the best move in this argument is simply to suggest that no one here has anything meaningful to say other than putting forward what experts have said. Given two accounts, one from a lay person and one from an expert, I will take the experts account to have more weight regardless of what I can actually gleam from each account. I have decided that even outside of what is actually produced that expert communities have a better claim to truth within their field than non-experts. That is the definition of an appeal to authority.

That's a fallacy because that doesn't directly affect any of the arguments at hand. It's not problematic because the creation of knowledge is happening in a context far broader than this one argument, and there is social meaning behind being an expert.

If that were an acceptable form of argument we wouldn't need footnotes and citations and primary source availability.

Footnotes do a lot of different things. In terms of what they add to the legitimacy of a text the idea is that the reader can go back and find what is being referenced and thus see for themselves. But in this matter, the footnote, in theoretically serving that purpose, is really just a mark of the profession, necessary because the profession partially based its ability to claim access to legitimate knowledge through it. Much the same with science and replicability despite the fact that an extremely small number of experiments are ever repeated.

Footnotes are part of the justification for historians claiming legitimacy thanks to Ranke, but in actual practice the legitimacy of the historian is mostly provided by his acceptance within the expert community itself. Which is to say the purpose of footnotes is not to convince lay people that the historian is accurate, though it did theoretically serve that purpose at one point, but to convince other experts that regardless if the claim is accurate that it is somewhat reasonable and fits within the expected methodology of the discipline.

Footnotes have little to do with countering appeals to authority, because they are generally used as a form of communication between parties that essentially have equal authority.

That was all for historical texts and articles. When it comes to normal discussion pretty much all references are clearly just appeals to authority.

Experts articulate their reasoning and offer support.

Of course, I wouldn't deny that. I mean I am a historian, I think historical methods have a lot of value. What I don't think is that lay people, the few times we actually reach them, are looking at our arguments critically thinking through them and deciding they are sound. They are simply taking us at our word. That's a good thing because most lay people don't have the context or training to actually judge what historians are saying the vast majority of the time. In the same way I don't have the context or training to understand what a physicist is doing.

They don't possess a magical ability to conjure conclusions behind a curtain that they afterwards reveal to us.

Actually they do in effect. For that see above. The point of expert communities is that we delegate the creation of truth to them, not that they are really good with coming up with arguments that show lay people the truth. For instance the vast majority of people could not read the documents that I use in my work. They also lack the context to understand what I'm even talking about. Any legitimacy I have comes from the legitimacy of my community and institution. That's not a failing on my part, that's actually my role in society.

We can all assess their reasoning.

I mean sure, if people did something they aren't going to do. That's why it's important that these communities be open. Anyone can try to put in the minimum 9 years it takes to become a historian. Very few will attempt to try, and even fewer will succeed. That being said very very few people will actually get themselves to the point that they can meaningfully access the reasoning of experts. That's the point of the expert community, delegating that work to a specific group of people we then trust to self-regulate and produce good knowledge.

If it's flawed, their degree doesn't make it not flawed.

If it's flawed then most lay people aren't going to be in a position to articulate that well, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

As a social institution it's more useful to grant expert communities a privileged epistemological position for just this reason. There are structures in place ensuring that they will probably be wrong, again not usually the best word for history, significantly less often than the background population. Thus I'm okay having most people blindly trust experts in their field of expertise, despite the fact that they will probably make weak or wrong arguments sometimes.

Having lay people believe that they can meaningfully argue with experts outside of very specific situations is how you get horrible ideas like The Lost Cause.

whitehawk

Banned
I'm going to need a citation on that notepad. He kept a diary, which is widely known. His fuckup, perhaps on purpose, of mentioning Hiroshima as a military base was in a public announcement. The rest of the stuff isn't there.

We know Truman received intel on what happened in Hiroshima, pictures and reports provided, on August 10th. That same day Truman decided to stop any further atomic bombs from being used.

It is possible he didn't authorize the specific operation. His Secretary of War and Secretary of State signed for it.
Here is the podcast:

http://www.radiolab.org/story/nukes/

The parts I mentioned starts at 15:45

slit

Just ask the ultimate question then. Why making them surrender is important when they can't harm you no more? Let them come to end this.

Because the Japanese capabilities in 1945 and their potential capabilities in 1960 are two different things. That was one of the major blunders of WWI in Europe.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Speaking of Trump, he was born almost nine months after the bombing of Hiroshima.

Hmm...

dinoric

Banned
Can we not do this dog and pony show again this year? Let's focus on moving forward. Disarming and ridding the world of nuclear weapons is a much more important conversation to have than peoples hot takes on whether or not the bombs were justified. That's just my opinion anyway.

If you want to disarm and rid the world of nuclear weapons maybe America should be the one to start doing it first.

KHarvey16

I mean it's not a great argument, as I've said over and over again, because it's insufficient. That's not to say it's irrelevant as you've said.

We keep on going in circles around this, it's really the key issue. We aren't ever really getting at the past in historical discussions we are making better or worse arguments for how to think about the past. One's position in the present clearly affects how one sees the past, and could be pertinent information for someone hearing the argument. You aren't just taking issue with me on this front either. Everyone I've ever met in the profession is in agreement with me on this issue as far as I know.

I'll grant you people used to lean more towards what you're suggesting, but that was ultimately part of a very harmful program of thinking about what history should be.

Right, and I honestly believe that the best move in this argument is simply to suggest that no one here has anything meaningful to say other than putting forward what experts have said. Given two accounts, one from a lay person and one from an expert, I will take the experts account to have more weight regardless of what I can actually gleam from each account. I have decided that even outside of what is actually produced that expert communities have a better claim to truth within their field than non-experts. That is the definition of an appeal to authority.

That's a fallacy because that doesn't directly affect any of the arguments at hand. It's not problematic because the creation of knowledge is happening in a context far broader than this one argument, and there is social meaning behind being an expert.

Footnotes do a lot of different things. In terms of what they add to the legitimacy of a text the idea is that the reader can go back and find what is being referenced and thus see for themselves. But in this matter, the footnote, in theoretically serving that purpose, is really just a mark of the profession, necessary because the profession partially based its ability to claim access to legitimate knowledge through it. Much the same with science and replicability despite the fact that an extremely small number of experiments are ever repeated.

Footnotes are part of the justification for historians claiming legitimacy thanks to Ranke, but in actual practice the legitimacy of the historian is mostly provided by his acceptance within the expert community itself. Which is to say the purpose of footnotes is not to convince lay people that the historian is accurate, though it did theoretically serve that purpose at one point, but to convince other experts that regardless if the claim is accurate that it is somewhat reasonable and fits within the expected methodology of the discipline.

Footnotes have little to do with countering appeals to authority, because they are generally used as a form of communication between parties that essentially have equal authority.

That was all for historical texts and articles. When it comes to normal discussion pretty much all references are clearly just appeals to authority.

Of course, I wouldn't deny that. I mean I am a historian, I think historical methods have a lot of value. What I don't think is that lay people, the few times we actually reach them, are looking at our arguments critically thinking through them and deciding they are sound. They are simply taking us at our word. That's a good thing because most lay people don't have the context or training to actually judge what historians are saying the vast majority of the time. In the same way I don't have the context or training to understand what a physicist is doing.

Actually they do in effect. For that see above. The point of expert communities is that we delegate the creation of truth to them, not that they are really good with coming up with arguments that show lay people the truth. For instance the vast majority of people could not read the documents that I use in my work. They also lack the context to understand what I'm even talking about. Any legitimacy I have comes from the legitimacy of my community and institution. That's not a failing on my part, that's actually my role in society.

I mean sure, if people did something they aren't going to do. That's why it's important that these communities be open. Anyone can try to put in the minimum 9 years it takes to become a historian. Very few will attempt to try, and even fewer will succeed. That being said very very few people will actually get themselves to the point that they can meaningfully access the reasoning of experts. That's the point of the expert community, delegating that work to a specific group of people we then trust to self-regulate and produce good knowledge.

If it's flawed then most lay people aren't going to be in a position to articulate that well, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

As a social institution it's more useful to grant expert communities a privileged epistemological position for just this reason. There are structures in place ensuring that they will probably be wrong, again not usually the best word for history, significantly less often than the background population. Thus I'm okay having most people blindly trust experts in their field of expertise, despite the fact that they will probably make weak or wrong arguments sometimes.

Having lay people believe that they can meaningfully argue with experts is how you get horrible ideas like The Lost Cause.

Anyone can assess reasoning. I don't have to be an expert in cave paintings to point out a logically poor argument about cave paintings. If a person says particle X is heavier than particle Y simply because particle Y was found on a Tuesday, it matters not what a person who calls that foolish studied in school.

To be honest I find attempts to insulate experts from the criticism of laymen by implying some kind of you-just-wouldn't-understand secret club to be kind of gross. Bad methodology or poor reasoning can be identified by anyone, and dismissing that criticism not on its merits but because of the qualifications of the person is absolutely wrong. That's the kind of nonsense fields should try very hard to avoid at all costs. Any understanding of acceptable reasoning that allows for that is very poor.

Veitsev

If you want to disarm and rid the world of nuclear weapons maybe America should be the one to start doing it first.

While that may sound like a good idea to you comrade, unilateral disarmament is a bad idea.

Also both the US and Russia have reduced their nuclear stockpiles significantly.

Cocaloch

Anyone can assess reasoning. I don't have to be an expert in cave paintings to point out a logically poor argument about cave paintings.

Anyone can make whatever sounds they can physically create yes. Clearly we are talking about what people can meaningfully do. Most people cannot meaningfully assess logical reasoning from first order principles, even fewer people at this moment can meaningfully assess many of the kinds of reasoning historian use. From anecdotal evidence, my students at a quite good university heavily struggle with gleaming even very straightforward information from primary documents.

I'm sure a lot of people could be trained to do so though. Which is one of the purposes of the expert community.

If a person says particle X is heavier than particle Y simply because particle Y was found on a Tuesday, it matters not what a person who calls that foolish studied in school.

Right, but are expert communities really producing experts that make claims like that? The vast majority of reasoning that most experts do relies on methodology and training that the vast majority of the population does not have. Even when its significantly less interpretive than history. Look at any thread on GAF involving a quantitative study, you'll find people complaining about the sample size.

Lay people will generally have little context relevant to a particular discussion compared to experts in the fields. This is compounded by the fact that they will generally have absolutely no training in the methodology of the field. Many of the arguments in history are concerned with what sources to use, how to interpret those sources, and how to generalize from those interpretations. Lay people will generally not be able to use or critique reasoning on any of those three points unless the reasoning in question is ridiculous to the point of being absurd. More often people take reasoning that is perfectly fine in the field, say how sample sizes work or the place of historiography in discussion of history, and critique them. Additionally almost anything a lay person could actually identify as being incorrect, unless it was somehow endemic to the field which is a very specific sort of situation, would also have been identified by another expert.

To be honest I find attempts to insulate experts from the criticism of laymen by implying some kind of you-just-wouldn't-understand secret club to be kind of gross.

Oh I'm well aware this is an incredibly unpopular opinion. People, especially Americans, are obsessed with an understanding of equality as meaning everyone's opinion should be equally important, instead of everyone should have the equal ability to equip themselves to have meaningful opinions.

But expert communities do essentially function this way, and you benefit from them regardless of if you think it's gross. It's ultimately a good thing for society. In fact one of the most pressing issues for historians is our relative lack of legitimacy because of the looseness with which we have asserted our exclusive claim to the term historian, itself probably more the result of our foolish attempts to make a "scientific history" in the past.

So as much as you think that my views are gross, I think your views are the wellspring from which America's anti intellectualism flows. Personally I think denying climate change and supporting The Lost Cause is significantly grosser than suggesting that we delegate knowledge creation like we delegate many different human activities.

Bad methodology or poor reasoning can be identified by anyone

Maybe some kinds could be. I know of plenty of examples where they couldn't be. For instance my field was completely changed by Crafts's revisions to British economic data in the early 80s. I highly doubt any lay person could have identified the methodological errors in previous work that he identified and fixed while generations of historians trained in looking at this sort of data had failed without themselves being trained.

If bad methodology was so easy to spot then why is arguing over methodology such a common topic for historians, and really in every field?

I'm no more equipped to judge my physicist friend's work than he is to judge mine, as neither of us have any training in the other's methodology.

and dismissing that criticism not on its merits but because of the qualifications of the person is absolutely wrong.

In some abstract world where we have infinite resources sure. In this world we live in we have a finite amount of time. It's not worth society's time to have trained individuals constantly have to work on shooting down every dumb thing someone makes up.

For instance just last week a poster said that most Jacobites transported as a result of the '45 were black. This is an absurd claim. Luckily he didn't even attempt to really back it up, but if he had and we didn't accept that experts should have privileged claims to knowledge within their field, then we would have been stuck with someone putting in effort to find actually find the documents necessary to argue against an obviously nonsensical claim.

If he had said collaborating documents were to be found in the Kinross and Perth Archive NG5/6/87/1-30 do you think it would be worth someone's time to go there and find out if that was true?

That's the kind of nonsense fields should try very hard to avoid at all costs.

Why? You're just asserting this. Try to get published in Past and Present without at least a masters in history and the support of any historian, I'm actually not even sure if they publish ABDs, outside of an issue dedicated to hearing from people outside of the field. It won't happen, and for good reason. You'd struggle to be published in Cell for the same reason.

Any understanding of acceptable reasoning that allows for that is very poor.

Again it's not. You're just declaring this because you've axiomatically decided that it's wrong to ever understand an argument someone has made in a way that isn't totally platonic.

I'm going to point out you likely wouldn't be making this argument about other fields, say Physics or Linguistics.

Cranster

Banned
The thing people forget is that WWII was classified as "Total War". As in everything in the economy was mobilized for the war effort. That made everything a valid target, that also includes civilians. If you worked in a factory chance are you were building weapons, therefore you were a valid target. Civilians especially were expected and forced to fight by Japan, Germany, Russia, ect.

The Bombs were the only way to get Japan to surrender unconditionally with the most minimal amount of casualties.

The thing people forget is that WWII was classified as "Total War". As in everything in the economy was mobilized for the war effort. That made everything a valid target, that also includes civilians. If you worked in a factory chance are you were building weapons, therefore you were a valid target. Civilians especially were expected and forced to fight by Japan, Germany, Russia, ect.

The Bombs were the only way to get Japan to surrender unconditionally with the most minimal amount of casualties.

If japan fire bombed steel factories in detroit, would you use that same logic?

I think the question of whether or not it was ethical to use the atomic bombs on japan to be useless. A fat more relevant question is whether or not its ever okay to attack civilians.

In any case I recommend everyone read Embracing Defeat by John Dower. It's far more compelling than reading arguments online by armchair historians

Cranster

Banned
If japan fire bombed steel factories in detroit, would you use that same logic?

I think the question of whether or not it was ethical to use the atomic bombs on japan to be useless. A fat more relevant question is whether or not its ever okay to attack civilians.
Wether I agree with it or not it was the fact of the times. London and many European cities were bombed by Germany and war crime or not the bombing of cities was one of the least evil things that occured in WWII. The fact of the matter is that the two Atomic Bombs dropped on japan ended the war with the least amount of casualties possible.

KHarvey16

Anyone can make whatever sounds they can physically create yes. Clearly we are talking about what people can meaningfully do. Most people cannot meaningfully assess logical reasoning from first order principles, even fewer people at this moment can meaningfully assess many of the kinds of reasoning historian use. From anecdotal evidence, my students at a quite good university heavily struggle with gleaming even very straightforward information from primary documents.

I'm sure a lot of people could be trained to do so though. Which is one of the purposes of the expert community.

Right, but are expert communities really producing experts that make claims like that? The vast majority of reasoning that most experts do relies on methodology and training that the vast majority of the population does not have. Even when its significantly less interpretive than history. Look at any thread on GAF involving a quantitative study, you'll find people complaining about the sample size.

Lay people will generally have little context relevant to a particular discussion compared to experts in the fields. This is compounded by the fact that they will generally have absolutely no training in the methodology of the field. Many of the arguments in history are concerned with what sources to use, how to interpret those sources, and how to generalize from those interpretations. Lay people will generally not be able to use or critique reasoning on any of those three points unless the reasoning in question is ridiculous to the point of being absurd. More often people take reasoning that is perfectly fine in the field, say how sample sizes work or the place of historiography in discussion of history, and critique them. Additionally almost anything a lay person could actually identify as being incorrect, unless it was somehow endemic to the field which is a very specific sort of situation, would also have been identified by another expert.

Oh I'm well aware this is an incredibly unpopular opinion. People, especially Americans, are obsessed with an understanding of equality as meaning everyone's opinion should be equally important, instead of everyone should have the equal ability to equip themselves to have meaningful opinions.

But expert communities do essentially function this way, and you benefit from them regardless of if you think it's gross. It's ultimately a good thing for society. In fact one of the most pressing issues for historians is our relative lack of legitimacy because of the looseness with which we have asserted our exclusive claim to the term historian, itself probably more the result of our foolish attempts to make a "scientific history" in the past.

So as much as you think that my views are gross, I think your views are the wellspring from which America's anti intellectualism flows. Personally I think denying climate change and supporting The Lost Cause is significantly grosser than suggesting that we delegate knowledge creation like we delegate many different human activities.

Maybe some kinds could be. I know of plenty of examples where they couldn't be. For instance my field was completely changed by Crafts's revisions to British economic data in the early 80s. I highly doubt any lay person could have identified the methodological errors in previous work that he identified and fixed while generations of historians trained in looking at this sort of data had failed without themselves being trained.

If bad methodology was so easy to spot then why is arguing over methodology such a common topic for historians, and really in every field?

I'm no more equipped to judge my physicist friend's work than he is to judge mine, as neither of us have any training in the other's methodology.

In some abstract world where we have infinite resources sure. In this world we live in we have a finite amount of time. It's not worth society's time to have trained individuals constantly have to work on shooting down every dumb thing someone makes up.

For instance just last week a poster said that most Jacobites transported as a result of the '45 were black. This is an absurd claim. Luckily he didn't even attempt to really back it up, but if he had and we didn't accept that experts should have privileged claims to knowledge within their field, then we would have been stuck with someone putting in effort to find actually find the documents necessary to argue against an obviously nonsensical claim.

If he had said collaborating documents were to be found in the Kinross and Perth Archive NG5/6/87/1-30 do you think it would be worth someone's time to go there and find out if that was true?

Why? You're just asserting this. Try to get published in Past and Present without at least a masters in history and the support of any historian, I'm actually not even sure if they publish ABDs, outside of an issue dedicated to hearing from people outside of the field. It won't happen, and for good reason. You'd struggle to be published in Cell for the same reason.

Again it's not. You're just declaring this because you've axiomatically decided that it's wrong to ever understand an argument someone has made in a way that isn't totally platonic.

I'm going to point out you likely wouldn't be making this argument about other fields, say Physics or Linguistics.

I would absolutely make that argument in any scientific field. Intelligent criticism from any and all sources is wonderful, and summarily rejecting it regardless of merit for any reason is unscientific.

Credentials don't guarantee competence. Smart people make dumb mistakes or convince themselves that dumb things are true for dumb reasons. You don't need a degree in their field necessarily to point out these instances.

Your reasoning regarding why this isn't the case is flawed. Laypeople not identifying every flaw or any one particular flaw in the work of experts is not evidence they can't or shouldn't. That makes no logical sense. Suggesting some errors could only be identified by experts also does not provide any evidence that this is true for all or even most errors.

It's a more persuasive argument to suggest climate change denialism benefits from blind reverence toward experts when you consider that individuals simply apply their own definition of what an expert is. If experts are right all I need to do to win the argument is call that guy an expert and that guy a fraud. Your logic allows for that perversion, mine doesn't.

Cocaloch

I would absolutely make that argument in any scientific field. Intelligent criticism from any and all sources is wonderful, and summarily rejecting it regardless of merit for any reason is unscientific.

I think lots of people would say that, and maybe even mean it, but I don't think that they'd actually follow through with that understanding of the relationship between lay people and science. That doesn't seem to be the role science is currently occupying in society anyway.

What would this be in practice? Do you have any examples?

Credentials don't guarantee competence.

Right, I never said it did. Credentials do correlate with competence though.

Smart people make dumb mistakes or convince themselves that dumb things are true for dumb reasons.

Sure, and sometimes lots of smart people make the same dumb mistake. That being said both of these are less likely that the average person, especially the average person with totally questionable commitments and without training, making dumb mistakes.

You don't need a degree in their field necessarily to point out these instances.

Okay maybe, but I'm saying the social cost of making people feel like they are in a position to critique experts outweighs the benefit of lay people occasionally missing something that the entire expert community missed. There are situations where lay people becoming involved makes sense, frequently with say the personal records of a gentry family, but that's a special situation that doesn't challenge the legitimacy of historians as historians.

Your reasoning regarding why this isn't the case is flawed. Laypeople not identifying every flaw or any one particular flaw in the work of experts is not evidence they can't or shouldn't. That makes no logical sense. Suggesting some errors could only be identified by experts also does not provide any evidence that this is true for all or even most errors.

You said lay people can notice flaws in methodology in particular. I'm pointing out that flaws in the methodology than aren't incredibly obvious often elude large numbers of people highly trained in that methodology. The argument here is that it's unlikely that these methodological problems are likely to be solved by people without that training. I certainly can't think of any examples.

It's a more persuasive argument to suggest climate change denialism benefits from blind reverence toward experts when you consider that individuals simply apply their own definition of what an expert is.

Well even assuming that people are actually being convinced by climate change arguments, instead of picking a side and then finding conclusions that support your side, I think this actually is an argument for my point. We need more proper respect for the expert communities, random people feeling that they are in a position to determine who the experts are would be the result of a lack of respect for the expert community.

If experts are right all I need to do to win the argument is call that guy an expert and that guy a fraud.

You'll notice I used the word community next to expert many times. That's pretty central to everything I'm saying. Individual experts gain their legitimacy through their connection the the expert community. Non members do not have the authority to point how who is and who is not part of that community.

Your logic allows for that perversion, mine doesn't.

Sure, my conception of how expert communities works, and how they work in practice, can run into problems with implementation. Your logic allows for people to independently decide that they know more than anyone else on a topic because they just think they are smarter than other people in general.

Also, as you've done a number of times in this thread, you didn't address a number of points in my previous post. This topic is ultimately about the social construction of knowledge, which you keep on ignoring in a fruitless attempt to get at some impossible and, more damningly, useless level of rigorousness.

While that may sound like a good idea to you comrade, unilateral disarmament is a bad idea.

Also both the US and Russia have reduced their nuclear stockpiles significantly.

I mean, we tried unilateral disarmament to put all nuclear materials under the control of the UN, with inspection of all member states to ensure no one broke faith. The reasons for its failure are myriad, but it mostly boils down to Stalin not agreeing to the inspection protocols, and also felt the UN was in the US' pocket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baruch_Plan

Rival

Gold Member
Man world war 2 was seriously fucked up. Some 60 million people killed, nuclear weapons dropped on cities! God help us all if a weapon like that is ever used again. They are far more precise and powerful now.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
RIP those who died. The world has seen far less bloodshed than it otherwise would have if it weren't for their sacrifice.

"Sacrifice" is a funny word to use, as if those who died in the atomic bomb has a say on the matter and make a deliberate choice to be obliterated by it. Also, that they just had to die to make a world a better place or something.

The Pope

Those of you in the gym police/ military thread saying what the gym did was right better be supporting the argument that the bomb drop was necessary.

The Pope

I'm at a loss for words here. Seriously.
The Imperial Japanese Army killed 25 million people and Japan gleefully supported them.

Invading mainland Japan would have killed millions upon millions more than the bombs. When the stakes are as high as they were in the 2nd World War - morality does become a numbers game.

Takyon

Rip to all those people.
On a technical note however, it's frightening just how much more powerful modern nukes are in comparison to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

stefanneda91

Neo Member
''Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.''- Geralt of Rivia

While I understand that WWII was a mess, and that stopping Imperial Japan was very important. I just can't accept, that dropping 2 A-bombs on 2 cities can be justified in any sense. What was then the difference between the Allies and the Axis, except that the Allies were on the winning side, if we targeted cities and innocent citizens and killing them in thousands like the Germans and Japan. We should have found another way. Evil is evil.

We should have found another way.

The "other way" was mass starvation of Japan or an invasion they would've had exponentially larger casualties. US made purple heart medals (for combat wounded) in preparation for the invasion...We are still issuing those made for that to soldiers today.

Also if you look at what Operation Downfall called for, nuking landing zones then troops rallying there, it would be far more catastrophic because we didn't understand radiation poisoning at the time.

Edit: I didn't see the damned Witcher quote, lmao

No one will ever be able to outright say it was the moral or ethical thing to do, but given the alternatives - a Japanese Empire surrending on their own terms or a ground invasion against a very riled up population - it was probably the only decision that made logical sense. Hindsight allows these conversations to be had. At the time I can't imagine anyone in the US wanted to continue ground fighting.

''Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.''- Geralt of Rivia

While I understand that WWII was a mess, and that stopping Imperial Japan was very important. I just can't accept, that dropping 2 A-bombs on 2 cities can be justified in any sense. What was then the difference between the Allies and the Axis, except that the Allies were on the winning side, if we targeted cities and innocent citizens and killing them in thousands like the Germans and Japan. We should have found another way. Evil is evil.
Wow

Oh you sweet summer child.

Living in a country formerly occupied by the Axis I'm glad the Allies did not wait for technology to advance to a point where zero civilian casualties were 100% guaranteed (we're still not there) so the Internet Morality Police could give the liberation of Europe their blessing.

Daingurse

The bombs were the most viable option available. I really believe that to be true, and it chills me to the bone when I think about it. WW2 was true case of total war. The whole thing was insanity. Any other scenario I can think of would only result in more death.

Well whether or not you can personally accept it, you should at least be able to understand the arguments being made on all sides. The argument in favor is that the people making the decisions believed it would expedite (or had a chance of expediting) the end of the war. Although the President and senior military figures still expected to need to invade Japan, it was considered worthwhile to try. The primary concern of the American planners was with minimizing American casualties, not saving Japanese lives, but since people are arguing this from a broad ethical standpoint then that usually winds up being the main discussion point. Japan is on the receiving end of near daily mass-bomber raids, is experiencing starvation on account of naval blockade, and the Japanese armies are fighting and killing people (including civilians) in mainland China every day that they are operating. Even by the time of the actual Japanese surrender, Japan is still in control of a large percentage of China.

While you may find the principle of don't start none, won't be none to be unsatisfying from an ethical perspective, it is highly unrealistic to imagine a scenario in which the Axis forces are permitted to use strategic bombing when it pleases them, but where the Allies are unwilling to retaliate. The Japanese were using it as early as 1937 against the Chinese. The Germans leveled Warsaw by air. The brief period of the war in which the Germans and British refrained from using it on one another was for fear of retaliation, not out of a principle of righteousness. The Axis never had qualms about using it against defenseless countries, they just didn't want anyone to do it to them. While people even in the interwar period were aware that the bombing of cities was ethically dubious, wartime realities very quickly overrode moral considerations.

The argument you're presenting - that since both sides did bad things it's not worth considering them to be different - is not going to get much support. Degrees matter.

The opposition to the Atomic Bombings is generally framed in ways that reject one or more of the above premises. Generally this is by denying that it would have saved lives.

My. Fucking. God.

Sounds like you two are essentially having a debate about 'What makes an expert an expert?', at least that's my layperson takeaway from your discussion

reckless

Just a couple small things like I don't know.
Literally tens of millions of civilians brutally murdered. Along with millions of soldiers that died since the Axis you know... started the war.

aliengmr

Those words aren't mine, those are the words of Tsuyoshi Hasegawa, famous japanese-american historian in "Racing the Enemy: Stalin, Truman, and the Surrender of Japan" (2005).

And it says Japan would have make peace because of their incapacity to win oversea. And by the fear of a USSR annexion of their northern islands.

An invasion wasn't needed at all. They feared the Soviets a lot more than USA.

But then, what USA would have won if not a total capitulation? Cold war began when USSR crossed the Manchurian border.

But Japan lost that capability in '42/'43.

In fact, after both the invasion and Hiroshima, they still didn't want to surrender. Sorry but Japan, in no way deserved, to be treated any differently than Germany, perhaps you should explain why it is they deserved to surrender conditionally.

The facts aren't in dispute. They wanted a conditional surrender and we said nope. They knew damn well that was the only offer. I justify that decision based on what was, at the time, the very recent past, in which the aggressor was allowed to sign a peace treaty, which ultimately led to the very war we are talking about now.

So why should they get to cut a deal and the Germans don't?

Top Bottom