• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Tuck

Are we ever gonna find out what the deal with Quaithe is?

xbxRmza.gif

I didn't even remember she was in the show.

Her plotline is one of my favorite from the books since we know almost nothing about here. She also has one of the best lines.

Gigglepoo

Quaithe isn't telling a prophecy she's spying on people with the obsidian candles Maester Marwen tells Sam about at the end of AFFC.

That's why she is;

A) Able to appear to Dany in her room
B) Her "prophecy" includes people that actually aren't going to arrive in Slaver's Bay like fAegon, but at one point intended to. She can't actually see the future.

Yup! There are a handful of characters behind the scenes feeding information and visions to the main characters. Quaithe, Marwyn, Three-Eyed Raven, maybe even The Shrouded Lord. It's a fascinating element (at least to me). How much of the religion is just these characters speaking halfway across the world? And what are their movitvations? I can't wait to see how these stories unfold.

I keep wondering if the whole "Winterfell/A Stark must always be in Winterfell" means anything, like if there's something there "magical" in that location.

this is a total 'bad fanfic' idea I had earlier, but: that Weirwood tree might have something like a cave under it much like the one beyond the wall had, where the 3ER was. Like, there is just a small passage to it at the end of the catacombs or whatever, but nobody ever bothered to check. Oooh, or behind Lyanna's statue, because Ned kept his secrets to the grave and forgot to tell anyone. Damn you, Ned!
(watch Sam Tarly, now lord of House Tarly btw, discover this in a book somewhere)

Speaking of Ned, his realization about hair color and what that means in season 1 is now added to because Jon already showed the dominance of dark Stark hairs over Targ blond.
(and why Ghost is all white, but okay. Of course, everybody already realized that, but oh well...look at how adorable it was.)

Ghost-and-Jon-Snow-game-of-thrones-direwolves-26321692-500-360.png

And obviously killing the NK isn't going to do shit, so that someone will have to take his place. Who better for the job than Jorah Mormont, King of Friendzone for a thousand summers, praise be. (I'm somewhat thinking this might actually happen though)

jfkgoblue

I finally watched this most recent season, only started season 5 about a month ago. I didn't want book spoilers, but decided to just watch it anyway. Sounds like GRRM has different plans anyway.

Anyway, my main thoughts are that I doubt we'll end up with Jon, Dany and Tyrion teaming up in the books, feels too fanservicy. And I personally thought Arya killing all the Freys was one of the stupidest things to happen on the show. It was so glossed over, just felt too convenient. I hope her training leads to something else in the books, and that the Freys are taken out some other way.

Overall though, enjoyed the hell out of these past three seasons. The pacing got weird, but if nothing else the show stayed interesting. Kind of weird how things they skipped in previous seasons came back, but in the wrong order. Smart though.
Jon, Dany and Tyrion are most definitely teaming up in the books as well. The Dany x Jon romance is 100% gonna happen and Tyrion is going to be with Dany in TWOW.

Tuck

???

How can you like a nothing.

Shes a compelling character IMO. A total mystery. We know very little about her (her motivations/agenda), but she seems to know a lot about the goings on in the world, and has had an important impact on Dany's actions and will in the future. In particular, Quiathe wanted Dany to go to Ashaii, and I'd love to know why.

I roll my eyes almost every time someone posts "____ is one of my favorites from the book".

Roll them as you please.

KahooTs

Jon, Dany and Tyrion are most definitely teaming up in the books as well. The Dany x Jon romance is 100% gonna happen and Tyrion is going to be with Dany in TWOW.
Disappointing. You read the books and came to the conclusion Tyrion is poised to play Dany's happy little helper? That he's going to forsake Jaime for Dany and run beside her as she plays out her mad queen arc? That Sansa will sit beside him and be content for him to play second fiddle?

There will be no romance between Jon and Dany, and when Jon marches south it will be on Tyrion's and Sansa's throne. Show Cersei is taking both Aegon's and Tyrion's end place.

TheXbox

Disappointing. You read the books and came to the conclusion Tyrion is poised to play Dany's happy little helper? That he's going to forsake Jaime for Dany and run beside her as she plays out her mad queen arc? That Sansa will sit beside him and be content for him to play second fiddle?

There will be no romance between Jon and Dany, and when Jon marches south it will be on Tyrion's and Sansa's throne. Show Cersei is taking both Aegon's and Tyrion's end place.
Why would Tyrion want anything to do with Jaime? He was complicit in the gang rape of Tyrion's wife and upheld the lie for decades. Tyrion hates his brother only slightly less than he hates his sister, and her only slightly less than he hates (or hated) his father. There's no doubt Tyrion will counsel Dany on her way to Westeros. He signed away most of his fortune (and Jaime's, for that matter) just to recruit the Second Sons to her cause.

Things will get interesting once he's caught between Aegon and Dany in their inevitable 'dance.'

I mean you can keep dreaming, but those things will defo happen.

KahooTs

Why would Tyrion want anything to do with Jaime? He was complicit in the gang rape of Tyrion's wife and upheld the lie for decades. Tyrion hates his brother only slightly less than he hates his sister, and her only slightly less than he hates (or hated) his father. There's no doubt Tyrion will counsel Dany on her way to Westeros. He signed away most of his fortune (and Jaime's, for that matter) just to recruit the Second Sons to her cause.

Things will get interesting once he's caught between Aegon and Dany in their inevitable 'dance.'
Ugh, he doesn't hate Jaime, that's the poor me Tyrion I hate the world talking. He loves Jaime because Jaime was the only one who unconditionally loved him, and when Jaime reveals why he killed Aerys and Dany sentences him to the dragon pit, everyone, not just Tyrion but the whole realm will side with Jaime against the coming of the mad queen's daughter.

Tyrion isn't going to let himself get caught between Aegon and Dany. That's the whole Tywin writ small angle. Sit out the war, burn no bridges but commit to no-one while it hangs in the balance, then when the winner becomes clear rush to their side and buy your way in with blood. He might sell Jaime out to Dany, he might sell out Cersei's children, but Jaime isn't falling before he's proved himself the kingmaker, and the king he will make comes after Aegon and Dany, when the only ruler left looks like Cersei through one of his children which he decidedly does not want. Then he outs the children as his and TYMBQ finishes Cersei off, the pawn to player makes herself queen by making her husband king and the kingmaker makes his brother king and in Tywin's absence becomes the Hand the realm desperately needs but he never wanted to be.

Famassu

I finally watched this most recent season, only started season 5 about a month ago. I didn't want book spoilers, but decided to just watch it anyway. Sounds like GRRM has different plans anyway.

Anyway, my main thoughts are that I doubt we'll end up with Jon, Dany and Tyrion teaming up in the books, feels too fanservicy. And I personally thought Arya killing all the Freys was one of the stupidest things to happen on the show. It was so glossed over, just felt too convenient. I hope her training leads to something else in the books, and that the Freys are taken out some other way.

Overall though, enjoyed the hell out of these past three seasons. The pacing got weird, but if nothing else the show stayed interesting. Kind of weird how things they skipped in previous seasons came back, but in the wrong order. Smart though.
Freys are already getting what is coming to them from Undead Cat in the books, aren't they? She hasn't gotten to all of them, but she's made some progress into that.

jfkgoblue

So a few things
-Tyrion will definitely meet up with Dany in TWOW, probably very early, hopefully in a much better capacity than the show.
-Tyrion and Jaime didn't leave on very good terms. Tyrion fantasizes about killing Jaime, while he ultimately decides he loves Jaime to much to do that, I doubt he ever forgives him.
-Sansa is going to marry Harry the Heir, and her marriage to Tyrion will be annulled.
-Jon and Dany are definitely happening, don't know what else to say
-Jon isn't going to March south to fight for any throne at all, he will be named KITN after Sansa saves him with the Vale army.
-I do agree on that last point, Cersei will die in TWOW and fAegon will be on the Iron Throne.

KahooTs

So a few things
-Sansa is going to marry Harry the Heir, and her marriage to Tyrion will be annulled.

Come on. The most fleshed out relationship in the series is Tyrion and Shae, expressly for the purpose of demonstrating how Tyrion is susceptible far beyond his better judgement to the manipulations of a young beautiful woman/girl who can make him feel loved.

And just what is Sansa learning? First training stage Sweet Robin, difficulty one star. Second stage Harry, difficulty two stars.

How can you not see where this is leading? He even had Cersei expressly tell Sansa Tyrion has the wanting to be loved disease, and pawn Sansa ponder what Tyrion wanted from her. And he fucking married them! Shit is set up like a tetris, just waiting for the long 4 piece to come along to shove down the side.

Sansa in the north? Where the fuck is the story in that? Jon is all the characters in the north with whom she has an affinity with, and she spares a whole two lines in her POV for him. She is the player POV, and the north is the anti game of thrones, KL is where the game is played, and there things are set for her like a game of cyvasse.

Jaime, for whom she is his last chance of honour, knight.

Brienne, swore a vow to her mother to protect her, eventual knight.

Sandor, the anti-knight she prayed to the gods to cure of his anger, who has fallen in the laps of the gods. Who she can't have a wet dream without him invading, eventual knight.

Pod who can't keep his tongue from tying itself in knots around her, soon knight.

Lancel who read charges against her and stood by while Joff had her beaten. Who despite this she praised and treated kindly during his recovery, had him beaming and looking better than he had since before the battle. Turning into Baelor the Blessed in front of our eyes. Who has come to understand Cersei is evil and Tyrion was right, and to value a gentle soul. Determined to disavow all his worldly possessions to join the Faith during their rise to power. Bishop.

And her husband, Tyrion, dragon.

All she needs now is a mix of chaos, something like TWOT5Fs, so that she may manoeuvre. Something like a big brutal war between dragons.

Jon and Dany will fuck, but they're not going to be in love, it is not going to be a romance. Dany will take Jon as Bael took the blue winter rose, as wildlings take their women, by deception. Jon's not going to like her, because by the time they meet she's going to have fought the dance of dragons and lost her dragon, a poor queen one who is more concerned with winning her crown than turning up to defend the people she presumes to rule. But she'll get him anyway, she can't take no for an answer as she'll need a new Rhaego to sacrifice for another dragon to save the world rather than win the crown, now that she'll have been humbled.

Ishan

yes the books have way more complex plots and more congruent... but like who the hell here thinks grrms is going to finish the whole thing in any reasonable time ... and its not like hes allowed the possibility of others to finish it like robert jordan did with wheel of time ... i would be very very surprised if grrm finished everything off in two books in a satisfactory manner within the next 7 years. if he does props to him.

Dany

Banned
It has been

Code:
 6 years 1 month 18 days 0 hours 38 minutes 47 seconds 

or  6.1 years
     or  73.5 months
     or  320.1 weeks
     or  2,241.0 days
     or  53,784.6 hours
     or  3,227,078.7 minutes
     or  193,624,727 seconds

choodi

Banned
I have 3 theories.

He thinks this is going to complicate things regarding the upcoming war after they kill the night king.

He plotted with Cersei and Jon Snow is part of his plan somehow.

He is jealous, i remember a scene on the last season when he said to her "Daario was not the first to love you and would not be the last" , he said these lines like implying he loves her.

Tyrion clearly had to compromise himself somehow to get Cersei on board. That's why we never saw the full negotiation.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Tyrion clearly had to compromise himself somehow to get Cersei on board. That's why we never saw the full negotiation.

which seems pointless since it won't take very long for tyrion and everyone else to notice that the only lannister who is actually going to war is his one-handed brother. cersei could have just promised not to do anything, so at least it would have taken a while before they realised she was lying.

choodi

Banned
which seems pointless since it won't take very long for tyrion and everyone else to notice that the only lannister who is actually going to war is his one-handed brother. cersei could have just promised not to do anything, so at least it would have taken a while before they realised she was lying.

At this point I've given up on getting a coherent story out of the show.

I have this completely ridiculous theory that the reason TWOW was delayed for so long was that he wants to get the show out of the way so that he can tell a completely different story in his last two books.

That's my naive hope anyhow.

Rixxan

At this point I've given up on getting a coherent story out of the show.

I have this completely ridiculous theory that the reason TWOW was delayed for so long was that he wants to get the show out of the way so that he can tell a completely different story in his last two books.

That's my naive hope anyhow.

In a way he can use it as a big budget beta test to see how some of his character resolutions are received

I still love the show, though

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So a few things
-Tyrion will definitely meet up with Dany in TWOW, probably very early, hopefully in a much better capacity than the show.Apparently it won't happen until much later in the book
-Tyrion and Jaime didn't leave on very good terms. Tyrion fantasizes about killing Jaime, while he ultimately decides he loves Jaime to much to do that, I doubt he ever forgives him.True
-Sansa is going to marry Harry the Heir, and her marriage to Tyrion will be annulled.True
-Jon and Dany are definitely happening, don't know what else to sayThis is not confirmed at all
-Jon isn't going to March south to fight for any throne at all, he will be named KITN after Sansa saves him with the Vale army. So Jon gets with Dany, but doesn't go South? And Sansa saves Jon from what?
-I do agree on that last point, Cersei will die in TWOW and fAegon will be on the Iron ThroneTrue, but also won't happen until mid-end TWOW.

Isaac Hempstead, aka Bran, gave an interview where he talks about a deleted scene where he helps Sansa realize LittleFinger is bad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/08/29/we-talked-to-isaac-hempstead-wright-and-understand-brans-three-eyed-raven-powers-a-lot-better-now/?utm_term=.1a48f69e9a3e

Here’s some quotes:

There was actually a scene that was meant to be in the last episode but didn’t make it in where Sansa came to Bran’s chambers and said, “Bran, I need your help,” and so the idea was that Sansa came to him just to fact-check, like, “before I kill my sister, can you confirm that’s what’s going on?”

I’m not sure why that didn’t make it in — I’m not even sure if I’m supposed to be saying this honestly! Anyway, Bran is so dead set on his ultimate destiny, which I think is something to do with those White Walkers, that all this sort of petty squabbling around him isn’t bothering him that much until someone says, “oh, can you look this up?”

So to those who were under the impression that Arya and Sansa may have been pretending to fight this season, that wasn’t the case. Anyway, with or without this scene, I still think this is one of the worst story lines ever in the show. Sansa never became the great “game-player”. She’s never had a victory that’s been all her own. I honestly don’t think she’s gotten all that much smarter since season one.

Haha, I thought the same thing when I read that bit

Isaac Hempstead, aka Bran, gave an interview where he talks about a deleted scene where he helps Sansa realize LittleFinger is bad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/08/29/we-talked-to-isaac-hempstead-wright-and-understand-brans-three-eyed-raven-powers-a-lot-better-now/?utm_term=.1a48f69e9a3e

Here’s some quotes:

So to those who were under the impression that Arya and Sansa may have been pretending to fight this season, that wasn’t the case. Anyway, with or without this scene, I still think this is one of the worst story lines ever in the show. Sansa never became the great “game-player”. She’s never had a victory that’s been all her own. I honestly don’t think she’s gotten all that much smarter since season one.

Jesus fucking christ

jett

D-Member

Here’s some quotes:

lol

Garbage-ass plotline. Definitely the worst the show has ever had. Blows my mind every time I see someone defending this crap.

Top Bottom