• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle Fighter soft launches in select countries [Tell me if Dino Crisis is in please

I've tried out the game, played 5 matches to unlock being able to use a support character but... It was the last match I played that made me think it's not for me.

So the difference between this and the old game Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo is that there is a health bar. The gameplay feels like a war of attrition, I didn't beat others by making their screen fill up with gems, I had to do combos to do damage to their health which included building up a super to deal a lot of damage because it definitely feels like making the enemies health drain to zero is the main way to win.

Only reason I got put off in the last match was that it's obvious the pay2win mechanics mean getting stronger characters who deal more damage and have more health, although that wasn't exactly what happened for me, what happened is that I still have to play online matches to unlock being able to use up to three characters in a team. My team was solo, I fought someone that had three characters in a team, I lost easily because the opponent's team had a shit load of health and was able to do three times as many attacks.

Obviously I just need to get to using 3 characters in a team to balance it out, but the point is. Because this game relies on health bars and skill cards and levels, it means that the gacha mechanics revolve around making very strong characters.

So what I'm getting at is that I like action puzzle games, but this isn't for me unfortunately because the game isn't completely skill based. You still have to have some skill but the main draw of this game is building strong characters with your money to deal damage with to drain the opponent's health.

That may be appealing to some but yeah, I like puzzle games because of the challenge they provide from your skills. RPG mechanics are fine (thinking of Puzzle Quest although that's turn based) but I really can't invest spending money on more than one gacha game at a time.

So they redesigned the fundamentals of the gameplay to accommodate microtransactions? Man, fuck that.

ggx2ac

So they redesigned the fundamentals of the gameplay to accommodate microtransactions? Man, fuck that.

Yeah, you can still win matches to get stuff from Honda's sushi shop but, I remember reading from the loading screen tips that he closes up shop once a day when he runs out of food or whatever which most likely means you only get to win some stuff per day for free.
Edit: I noticed an icon with a number in the top left corner during Honda's sushi shop indicates how much food he has left. Obviously there are higher quality plates but if they don't appear, you spend 200 gems to refresh the selection but I don't know if that guarantees you a win.

For the online matches, they have seasons and rank divisions: rookie, bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond, legend.

I don't know how long a season goes but you win prizes from that too and I am guessing that if you are in a higher ranking division then you can win even rare stuff.
Edit: It looks like a season goes once every three days according to the timer currently.

But regarding microtransactions, let's see. Your virtual currency is coins and gems, you spend money to buy gems. You can buy skill cards which is needed to unlock skills and level them up to make them stronger. (Eg. Your Hadouken is a skill.)

However, you need coins to unlock those skills to a higher level so you either earn coins by winning matches or you convert your gems into coins.

I saw that you can change character costume colours and even get Hot Ryu costume for example but that costs 200 gems to unlock. The costume colours are also locked but I didn't check if they require gems too.

Edit: Oh, I forgot one of the other mechanics. There are four colour gems but they don't all deal the same damage. So the game tells you that you have to build a team of three characters with the same affinity to deal more damage.

Eg. Ryu and Chun-Li are blue affinity which means they deal double damage with blue gems when they are used compared other colour gems which is why the tutorial suggests building teams with characters of the same colour affinity.

ggx2ac

Oh, I forgot to mention the gacha mechanics. I already said one of them is Honda's sushi shop and went into detail in the post above about that.

If you want to spend cash though straight from the other shop in-game. Here's what you can get for example:

DKyedSHV4AA89_P.jpg

That's the highest cost chest, it gives you coins, a lot of cards which are either skill cards to give or improve a character's special skills or possibly unlock a character if you haven't yet. It also gives you a chance to unlock costumes and for now, each character has around 6 different colour costumes and one unique costume like Hot Ryu for example.

I already detailed that you could buy the costumes separately with gems.

As mentioned, you need to spend money to buy gems to buy this chest for example or to convert your gems to coins, you can convert 4500 gems to 100,000 coins for example but I don't know how many coins you need for skill levels ups etc.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

It is a free 2 play game? You expect them to make a f2p game and then make it so that fundamentally they will never make money off of it? Let's get real.

I don't understand why people can download a f2p game and expect it not to be based on microtransactions.

Man. After reading your posts it sounds like I won't like it either...Hate pay to win gacha mechanics.

Edit: there are good forms of microtransactions and then there's shit like this.

I don’t understand the point of soft launch in digital games. Especially when this isn’t even hyped or popular.

You do it to make sure your back end is functioning properly so that your IAPs and Metrics work right. Also to get data on pinch points, retention and stickiness.

ggx2ac

I just had a match where I was wondering why gems were falling on my opponent and damaging him.

So it turns out that draining an opponent's health to zero is the only way to win.

You can't lose if your screen overflows with gems, what happens is you just end up taking damage instead of losing.

What happened was my opponent was doing it on purpose because he knew he couldn't win since it was 3v2, he hadn't unlocked his third support slot yet so it made the match unbalanced. I would have more health for having three characters and can attack with three characters compared to his two.

Shito

It's to test monetization mechanics and prices before everyone sees the game, so that you can change them more easily.
Not only that, but also...

You do it to make sure your back end is functioning properly so that your IAPs and Metrics work right. Also to get data on pinch points, retention and stickiness.
... yeah, all of this, sounds like someone’s working on this field. :)

Durden77

Managed to get in

The production values are good in this game. I think the art style is fine, but regardless of that the animations, menus, and general presentation are all great. It's got character. The animations are choppy on my phone, but I don’t know if that's because I'm using an S5 or what. (Probably so because in the promo vids it looks a lot smoother)

Gameplay, definitely still PF, but the life bar changes things. I think it makes a lot of sense in the mobile space, as it gives each match more of a finite feel. I actually kind of like it as it gives the attacks more meaning rather than them just being for show.

And yes of course, this a F2P game, and a brand new Puzzle Fighter designed around F2P. Your attacks will be stronger the more you grind/pay and that's that. I don't really know what people expected, but I'm fine with that. I like to have a mobile grind, and a mobile grind that's Puzzle Fighter? Yes please.

So yeah, definitely enjoying it so far. Gotten my ass whooped on all my matches as of yet but they all felt like they were my fault. Never been that great at PF but I love it.

Oh also this game EATS my battery. Like damn I wish there was a battery saver mode or something.

Anyone got link to apk?

Don't know of one yet, but these steps worked fine for me...

https://www.gameskinny.com/kmt3g/how-to-legally-download-south-park-phone-destroyer-for-android

..except replace South Park with Puzzle Fighter obviously. Here's the direct link.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.capcom.smash.retail

It's really easy. And you can log into the game with your regular gmail account and delete the stand in one once you're in.

Rixa

Don't know of one yet, but these steps worked fine for me except replace South Park with Puzzle Fighter obviously. Here's the direct link.

Can't download it as its not released in my country play store, thats why I asked apk :p.
Couldn't find one yet. Expecting APKpure to get one eventually (prolly in some hours time) they usually are fast to get apk's from new gacha games.

ggx2ac

And I think I'll just finish my last match there. Got my ass whooped by a higher level opponent which meant his character was stronger and had more health.

Regardless of how many chains I pulled off, he was only around half health when I lost but he took health off my meter so easily since he could deal higher damage with his characters.
(Regardless of how skilled you are, your opponents can feel like a boss fight where you lose because they have stronger characters.)

So again, the game isn't for me. It can work for other people that like this but I enjoy action puzzle games for skill, it's not rewarding for me to beat an opponent based on how strong my characters are. It would be different if this was Puzzle Quest where it's turn-based and is more of an RPG, but that is a different story and I don't feel the same way about Puzzle Fighter because action puzzle games are more about skill than strategy like turn-based RPG puzzle games.

Durden77

Can't download it as its not released in my country play store, thats why I asked apk :p.
Couldn't find one yet. Expecting APKpure to get one eventually (prolly in some hours time) they usually are fast to get apk's from new gacha games.

Well yeah it's not in my country play store either. But those steps in that link I posted still allow you to download it.

Edit : I'm idiot and didn't post the steps lol

https://www.gameskinny.com/kmt3g/how-to-legally-download-south-park-phone-destroyer-for-android

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
And I think I'll just finish my last match there. Got my ass whooped by a higher level opponent which meant his character was stronger and had more health.

Regardless of how many chains I pulled off, he was only around half health when I lost but he took health off my meter so easily since he could deal higher damage with his characters.
(Regardless of how skilled you are, your opponents can feel like a boss fight where you lose because they have stronger characters.)

So again, the game isn't for me. It can work for other people that like this but I enjoy action puzzle games for skill, it's not rewarding for me to beat an opponent based on how strong my characters are. It would be different if this was Puzzle Quest where it's turn-based and is more of an RPG, but that is a different story and I don't feel the same way about Puzzle Fighter because action puzzle games are more about skill than strategy like turn-based RPG puzzle games.
That sounds terrible. And I do think action puzzlers can work on mobile because the new Lumines was quite good (helped that it didn't have any pay-to-win stuff) as long as you play it on its own terms and get used to the controls.

Going this route pretty much means Puzzle Fighter fans are screwed -- it succeeds and keep churning out IAP garbage; it fails and oh well no one cares about Puzzle Fighter. Alas. I just at least want to be able to play old-school PF or even HD on a modern console.

ggx2ac

That sounds terrible. And I do think action puzzlers can work on mobile because the new Lumines was quite good (helped that it didn't have any pay-to-win stuff) as long as you play it on its own terms and get used to the controls.

Going this route pretty much means Puzzle Fighter fans are screwed -- it succeeds and keep churning out IAP garbage; it fails and oh well no one cares about Puzzle Fighter. Alas. I just at least want to be able to play old-school PF or even HD on a modern console.

Oh yeah!

Lumines is a very good puzzle game on mobile. Thankfully it plays like the original game too. The only money you have to spend is if you want to unlock new sound tracks, but you don't have to. You can still enjoy playing the game regularly without it.

Terrell

Yeah, this is one to avoid. And I say that as a huge Puzzle Fighter fan. (I even made a thread about it)

Capcom, when people were asking for a new Puzzle Fighter, this is not what they meant. AT ALL. Why does every wish involving a Capcom IP turn into a monkey's-paw reality? It's become comical.

Next thing we know, we'll hear about Dino Crisis as an always-online cover-based 3rd-person shooter laden with microtransactions exclusive to Ouya that can't load past the loading screen ever and we'll have to put Jawmuncher on suicide watch.

Not only that, but also...

... yeah, all of this, sounds like someone’s working on this field. :)

I worked in mobile games for a couple of years. I didn't enjoy it and I felt dirty on pretty much every project I worked on, but there weren't a lot of options at the time. I got out of it though and I have no desire to ever go back.

Gren

Saw a YT clip of some Chun vs Ryu gameplay. By god it looks even more hideous in motion. They should've just recycled the Puzzle Spirits pics integrated with the Puzzle Fighter gems gameplay.

I'll still play it for free while waiting for my next beer at the bar.

Yeah, this is one to avoid. And I say that as a huge Puzzle Fighter fan. (I even made a thread about it)

Capcom, when people were asking for a new Puzzle Fighter, this is not what they meant. AT ALL. Why does every wish involving a Capcom IP turn into a monkey's-paw reality? It's become comical.

Next thing we know, we'll hear about Dino Crisis as an always-online cover-based 3rd-person shooter laden with microtransactions exclusive to Ouya that can't load past the loading screen ever and we'll have to put Jawmuncher on suicide watch.

I think he'd still be somewhat happy.

Durden77

The music in this is....like oddly really good. A lot of it is just remixes of Capcom tunes, but they're really well done.

The level gap is definitely a thing, but seems to be less of a thing as levels get higher. Also I was losing so much because I realized that all this time I didn't really know how to play PF. I didn't know the squares were attacks. I feel so dumb, but I'm doing a lot better now.

Also got Haggar and X, sweeeeeet.

Gren

Yes those traced over 'HD' sprites were disgusting. Even the gems didn't look right.

The in-game sprites weren't traced over, they were just blurred to hell and back.Still don't know how anyone could prefer that fuzzy post-processed crap over pixel-perfect sprites, at least when it comes to as niche a title as this.

bchan555

The in-game sprites weren't traced over, they were just blurred to hell and back.Still don't know how anyone could prefer that fuzzy post-processed crap over pixel-perfect sprites, at least when it comes to as niche a title as this.

In-game sprites weren't traced, but were filtered. Character select/win portraits were traced over and look like crap:

SPF2T_Akuma.gif

The gems themselves were also redrawn, and of course somehow look worse:

118124217771.png

Even simply scaled up (and without filtering!) the original graphics were superior in every way.

Gren

In-game sprites weren't traced, but were filtered. Character select/win portraits were traced over and look like crap:

Yeah. Honestly, I could've overlooked all the revamped portrait art and gems and what not, but anti-aliasing the character sprites with no recourse was the worst. Totally dampened a puzzle game whose identity was largely centered upon its visuals.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I didn’t really enjoy it. Basic gem matching + hhhhuuuugggeeeee crazy grind and nothing else. Played 10 or so PvP matches ‘daily challenges’ and then uninstalled. Basically you just find the same thing over and over again with no real perceptible difference between matches. Music was good though

SPF2T_Akuma.gif

The gems themselves were also redrawn, and of course somehow look worse:

118124217771.png

Even simply scaled up (and without filtering!) the original graphics were superior in every way.

they couldn't even trace properly...that akuma's face is stretched and distorted...sorta 'melting'.

dan2026

Another Capcom game with a horrendous art style.
And if I am reading these posts right it seems to be pay to win too!
Capcom on a roll lately.

The HD Remix was my intro to the series, and what hooked me. My brother and I played for hours and hours, not to mention the online mode. I really loved it :(

Durden77

I'm addicted myself. Yeah if you're up agaia higher level opponent it's an uphill battle, but when you're both on the same level the matches get just as intense as from whate I remember from Puzzle Fighter.

Also learning how to finally play the game correctly helped a lot too.

Top Bottom